Bought my first IKEA display cases.

Novareign

$64 is supposed to be some sort of special price, but I swear they've been listed at that price for at least a year or more, so it's basically standard American retail for one at this point.

Great minds think alike! I literally bought my first two Ikea Detolfs yesterday. After having moved to a house with floor-space three times(!) the size of our former apartment two months ago, I've finally got a room for setting up the man-cave.

This weekend I'm planning on finally getting a couple of my Valk's out of external storage and into the Detolfs. Price in the Netherlands: amazingly, about the same as US price: €50 ~ $66.

Detolfs are awesome - simply the best display cases you can get for the price.

I actually needed something that was comparable to a Detolf but a little smaller to fit in a specific area - I ended up paying 2.5x as much after shipping for something else (this).

Man I wish we had something like an IKEA over here. Finding any display case is hard, even on sites like craigslist. Shipping costs kills any savings.

But then you could replace the words "display case" with just about anything and it would be the same story in Hawaii.

Three! Three is a very good number to start if you can swing it. I wish I went with my gut and picked up a third case when I made the trip to my local store. I think I'll be going again soon. :)

Three does sound like the ideal round number to start with, would be nice to properly display both my toys & models in one place.

Eventually a 4th for my BSG stuff! :lol:

We're finally getting an IKEA in KS, should be open next month and if my wallet can swing it I'd like get 2 or 3 of these for my collection! B))

the closest Ikea to me is a 4 hour round trip.. 1.5 hours there, 1 hour to stuff around and 1.5 hours back.. painful. They are supposed to be building another Ikea which will be only 30mins drive away! Will be handy!

the closest Ikea to me is a 4 hour round trip.. 1.5 hours there, 1 hour to stuff around and 1.5 hours back.. painful. They are supposed to be building another Ikea which will be only 30mins drive away! Will be handy!

One of the nice things when I lived in Northridge, the IKEA in Burbank, CA was only 20+ minutes away... A 4 hour round trip is a long way to go, hopefully you have one being built!

My first trip to get Detolfs I mentioned above was 4.5 hours driving - each way ... still worth it.

Whaaa!? 4.5 hours each way!? Ok I'm officially not going to complain about the location of my nearest Ikea anymore! Do they offer a delivery service in the States? I once did ask about their delivery service but they wanted $110 courier fee for it.. which was for 2 cabinets but I politely declined and just drove there to pick em up..

Whaaa!? 4.5 hours each way!? Ok I'm officially not going to complain about the location of my nearest Ikea anymore! Do they offer a delivery service in the States? I once did ask about their delivery service but they wanted $110 courier fee for it.. which was for 2 cabinets but I politely declined and just drove there to pick em up..

When i buy stuff online at Ikea I buy a ton of stuff. buying 1 detolf or 10 costs the same to ship.

When i buy stuff online at Ikea I buy a ton of stuff. buying 1 detolf or 10 costs the same to ship.

yeah its not the same for delivery here in Aus.. If I recall I think the delivery cost for 1x Klingsbo was about $60 and 2x was $110 etc etc.. (other areas or products would vary in cost of course)

When I asked why it cost so much, its mostly due to the package weight of each cabinet being upwards of about 50kgs..

And I don't think we get online shopping option down here either.. sucks x sucks = crap.

Edited by spanner76

My local Ikea is about 20 minutes away. Sometimes I've gone just to pick up one or two things that I need. I always see people there that drove from a couple hours away though. Seems like folks make a day trip out of it -- shop at Ikea in morning, get some Swedish meatballs for lunch, finish shopping and pick up merchandise in the afternoon, make the drive home in time for dinner.

My local Ikea is about 20 minutes away. Sometimes I've gone just to pick up one or two things that I need. I always see people there that drove from a couple hours away though. Seems like folks make a day trip out of it -- shop at Ikea in morning, get some Swedish meatballs for lunch, finish shopping and pick up merchandise in the afternoon, make the drive home in time for dinner.

hehe! how to make a visit to Ikea an full day family outing! :p

Yeh I looked into shipping and it was going to be like $120+ shipping for two Detolfs because they'd have to ship it freight. I looked at the price and gas back then and realized I'd rather drive so I could see other stuff at the store I wanted.

I am glad however that was just one 4.5 hour each way trip - after that I waited a few years until they completed the store 30min away from me.

Until recently I worked for IKEA in Edmonton, and we'd routinely have people who'd driven in from Regina (about 8 hours) or Yellowknife (about 18 hours) with shopping at IKEA being a primary purpose for the trip. And of course something they came for would be sold out, which was always heartbreaking.

Then we'd have folks whinging about making a 30 minute drive from the north side of the city. Didn't have much patience for them folks...

Like I said previously I will never again complain about the distance of my nearest Ikea store! LOL! 8 hours is crazy but 18 hours is pure insanity! Why wouldnt they just pay to have it shipped over!? Though I guess it depends on what they were buying but still you'd think they'd call ahead to ensure the store has stock of what ever they are travelling across half the country for before getting on their way?! That is inexcusable stupidity.. :rolleyes:

Edited by spanner76

We once drove from Tampa to Atlanta to go to ikea. Had a bathroom to remodel, and fit everything into my corolla! We also spent the weekend there & went to the aquarium.

Now, our closest is Pittsburg. It used to be a big production, but now that my girl's old enough for smalland, it's soooo much easier.

Edited by Kelsain

was talking about Ikea antics to my brother as he just did some Ikea shopping only recently and he was telling me about (non Ikea related purchase but still just as if not more nuts) a customer of his who flew from Sydney to Perth (4+ hours) just to buy a Toyota Land Cruiser and drive over 4000 kms (2500 miles) back to Sydney.. took his family along and made a cross Australia holiday out of it! I wouldn't..

Edited by spanner76