HG and Robotech Debates

And that should also tell you what type of moron McKeever is. They should just not open their mouth at all, and not have any convention panels, or anything like that. At least it'd save them from looking like idiots (even though it's way too late), would keep the loyal looney fans from damaging their franchise (probably too late there as well), and would keep us from calling their B.S.

Drip drip drip

I believe there is enough new BS to fool the naive fans for the upcoming Comic Con panel!!!!

1.) "New" songwriter

2.) Robotech comics hit in China

3.) Old Macross toys sold out on Robo Tech.com

4.) Animatic of the 2011 animated "sidequel"

Can't wait for the future of the Robo Tech multimedia extravaganza!!!!! "New scriptwriters" were played out two, three years ago. "New directors" was used up last year. This year we got "new songwriter"!

What will they think up next year?! Wheeeee!! I love how Harmony Gold is exploiting this once great show!!!

Edited by chrisk

I love how Harmony Gold is exploiting this once great show!!!

You mean exploiting three shows, right? Two if you want to be realistic, or one hugely popular one under a different name and two others arbitrarily slapped together with it.

Drip drip drip

I believe there is enough new BS to fool the naive fans for the upcoming Comic Con panel!!!!

1.) "New" songwriter

2.) Robotech comics hit in China

3.) Old Macross toys sold out on Robo Tech.com

4.) Animatic of the 2011 animated "sidequel"

Can't wait for the future of the Robo Tech multimedia extravaganza!!!!! "New scriptwriters" were played out two, three years ago. "New directors" was used up last year. This year we got "new songwriter"!

What will they think up next year?! Wheeeee!! I love how Harmony Gold is exploiting this once great show!!!

Don't worry, next year they'll still be talking about the sidequel since they gotta use the same powerpoint for AT LEAST 3 years due that "3000 pound gorilla" LAM from WB which changed their plans for SR, both of which they still can't talk about. Seeing as how the RPG's are still tentative and don't seem like they'll be available anytime soon I'm sure they'll continue to talk about that also. Maybe next year they'll be closer to releasing the 25th Anniversary Soundtrack too. It really boggles my mind how HG could totally screw themselves over with a property that'd be an easy money maker like all the other nostalgic 80s shows. It still makes no sense to say "we don't want to make too much money from Robo Tech now when we might be able to make tons of money in a decade." Why can't use market a franchise to make as much money as possible now allowing it to make even more money in the future? You wouldn't have to even sacrifice the quality and types of products just to make a quick buck. Oh wait, HG already did that with the Robo Tech wristbands and wallet. :angry:

It still makes no sense to say "we don't want to make too much money from Robo Tech now when we might be able to make tons of money in a decade." Why can't use market a franchise to make as much money as possible now allowing it to make even more money in the future? You wouldn't have to even sacrifice the quality and types of products just to make a quick buck. Oh wait, HG already did that with the Robo Tech wristbands and wallet. :angry:

Let's see... that's 15 bucks for a Robo-tech wallet, times a thousand units, plus profits from the boring-ass 20 dollars polo-tshirt with the lazily slapped on UN Spacy logo... times another thousand units... all with around 400% markup... less taxes and shipping... plus selling off old content to Chinese distributors... plus profits from selling old stocks of toys and soundtracks. Hmm...

So in the last ten years, Harmony Gold learned that the best way to make bank with a creaky old cartoon like Robotech is not to make new comics, toys, videogames or animation... but to churn out TSHIRTS AND WALLETS, and REISSUE OLD CONTENT! Amazing!!!

Sigh, the same person who said Cary Fukunaga turned also down the LAM posted news about David Aldo thing. Come on, he ain't a credible source of information. I should commend him for posting news that actually had something to do with Robo-Tech as well as the LAM for once, even if it is possibly at least two years old by now. But no, he loves screwing with people all the damn time.

A reminder of the other "news" this guy has posted before:

GUILLERMO DEL TORO AVALIABLE: DIRECT ROBOTECH RLAM? - No

CARY FUKUNAGA APPROACHED TO DIRECT ROBOTECH LAM...TURNS IT DOWN - No

WB, SAM RAIMI "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE", AND ROBOTECH - No

The Smiths- Nowhere Fast

Sigh* at least HG is good at one thing; disapointing fans!

http://theblackconvoyreport.blogspot.com/2011/05/return-to-macross-part-two-numbers.html

http://theblackconvoyreport.blogspot.com/2011/05/return-to-macross-part-1-complete-story.html

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

indeed!!

but seriously, who cares anymore about ROBOTECH beyond the "Original 85" ?

and even then, as nothing more than an early, pioneering footnote

in the history of the U.S. Japanese Animation industry.

indeed,it was a series that served it's purpose long ago,

back in the very different world of the mid/late 1980's.

back then, a generation of aging prunes with a VERY old fashioned series

of values and trains of thought were in charge of pretty much everything.

they all collectively thought that ALL "Children's T.V.Programming" that wasn't on the order

of "MISTER RODGER's NEIGHBORHOOD" or "CAPTAIN KANGAROO"

were nothing more than half-hour, extended length toy-commercials,

and were automatically deemed of precisely no value at all whatsoever,

and by all rights should be outlawed along with their concept.

this frame of mind encompassed any and all animated series that came to production AFTER their related toy lines,

and, of course, included series such as TRANS FORMERS, GI JOE, SILVERHAWKS, THUNDERCATS, and, of course, ROBOTECH.

i have nearly 100 issues combined of both "VIDEO MAGAZINE" and "VIDEO REVIEW" most of which are from 1985 through 1987.

these magazines have given me some fantastic insight on the overall average nature and climate of things

in the TV and HOME VIDEO industry, as well as the average prevailing train of thought of the average "Responsible Adult"

Television/Home Video consumer of the period, despite the fact that i myself was but four/five years of age at the time.

things really are SO much better for people such as us these days.

indeed, it can be difficult, with the convenience and freedom that the Internet imparts today,

to imagine a time, barely a generation or two ago, when Hollywood and the Network Television industry

were an omnipotent force with an implacable Big-Brother Half-Nelson on the Audio/Visual entertainment industry.

Anime fans fought LONG and HARD to get Anime and Manga to the near-mainstream popularity levels

that they enjoyed for an all too brief five to seven years back around the turn of the century.

INDEED, with the highly Racist, Jingoistic, U.S. Protectionist mentality that pervaded the "average" U.S. citizen

back in the mid-1980's, a series like ROBOTECH was surprisingly and honestly relatively open-minded and ahead of it's time.

it was the only real way to get Anime into the mainstream U.S. market of the period with a relative minimum

of U.S. Lobotomization. ("Localization")

ROBOTECH is indeed an outdated concept that should have been put to rest long ago,

but back in 1985, it did indeed serve it's intended purpose, as a TROJAN HORSE

for Anime to establish itself with in a VERY closed-minded and Jingoistic U.S. T.V/VIDEO ENTERTAINMENT market...

Edited by Shaorin

And that should also tell you what type of moron McKeever is. They should just not open their mouth at all, and not have any convention panels, or anything like that. At least it'd save them from looking like idiots (even though it's way too late), would keep the loyal looney fans from damaging their franchise (probably too late there as well), and would keep us from calling their B.S.

Well, the advantage of giving out information only at convention is that they can always change their tune, and if someone calls them on it, saying "last year you said such and such", they can just turn around and go "nope, you heard wrong". And that would be it. If they actually put news in the news section of their website, once it's up, it's done, they cannot later convince you "nah, you read wrong" even if they delete the info, becauseit would have been tweeted and reposted everywhere by then, so even if they delete it they still have to face the music.

That's why I think they insist on doing this "convention-only" BS. It's the only way they can keep controlling the spin.

Robotech needs a reboot as a stop motion animation film using chunky munky toys from the 80s.

I always like seeing toy ads where the toys do a stopmo transformation.

At least make the robots move as good as ED209 from robocop and I'd be happy.

I'd like to play a robotech game where you are a toy and fight other toys similar to lego starwars games.

The cg model would be based on the toynami masterpiece collection.

Despite what non-rt people say the games were not bad.

I remember I was really hyped up about the news of a robotech videogame on the nintendo 64 a long time ago, but this sim never came out.

That's the kind of thing they should be thinking about now where you don't see many space sim games in the US which you get to control a transforming mech.

If the fans don't get a series in the form of anime, than they could think about it as an episodic game series which doesn't have to be too accurate to the tv show. The original vf-1 is starting to look dated and needs an updated look anyway.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well, the advantage of giving out information only at convention is that they can always change their tune, and if someone calls them on it, saying "last year you said such and such", they can just turn around and go "nope, you heard wrong". And that would be it. If they actually put news in the news section of their website, once it's up, it's done, they cannot later convince you "nah, you read wrong" even if they delete the info, becauseit would have been tweeted and reposted everywhere by then, so even if they delete it they still have to face the music.

That's why I think they insist on doing this "convention-only" BS. It's the only way they can keep controlling the spin.

Totally agree with you on this. The only problem is that this makes it seem like McKeevie know what he's doing and we've already established that this isn't the case.

Well, I guess whatever way they prefer to make themselves look incompetent, either via convention or press release, is up to them. Now, is it just me, or does Robotech seem stuck? By stuck, I mean, they have Macross, that the spent probably good money on protecting it from the real Macross coming over. However, what was once so lock tight, isn't anymore. Robotech and Macross fans no longer have to buy stuff with a Robotech label on it, as e-tailers are ever plenty, and getting an item across the world is now easier than ever. Robotech with the Macross name has the DVDs that are now free. It also has merchandise that is sub par to the alternatives in Japan.

I know HG is hoping that the LAM comes from WB, and that it validates the property, but HG is in a position where it's tied itself way too strong to a franchise that it can't utilize much of anymore. Should HG reboot the first 1/3rd of Robotech and free itself from Macross to give it some breathing room, or should it just remain some obscure franchise selling keychains, pins, wallets, and writstbands?

INDEED, with the highly Racist, Jingoistic, U.S. Protectionist mentality that pervaded the "average" U.S. citizen

back in the mid-1980's, a series like ROBOTECH was surprisingly and honestly relatively open-minded and ahead of it's time.

Yet, we've got some Robotech fans who are seriously insisting that Robotech needs an injection of racist, jingoistic, US protectionist mentality to make it more "realistic" by adding "modern references"... and what they mean by "modern references" is kinda terrifying in a way. They're suggesting that Robotech would be much improved by the addition of an evil communist empire in a similar vein to the Eastern Bloc Soviet Independent States faction that Palladium invented for the old RPG, but made up of the Chinese and Koreans.:huh:

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I know HG is hoping that the LAM comes from WB, and that it validates the property, but HG is in a position where it's tied itself way too strong to a franchise that it can't utilize much of anymore. Should HG reboot the first 1/3rd of Robotech and free itself from Macross to give it some breathing room, or should it just remain some obscure franchise selling keychains, pins, wallets, and writstbands?

I think it's tragic that for the last five years, Harmony Gold has been solely in the business of conventions, reselling old content and studying gas prices.

Sorry, it's just sad. :(

I've lost count on the number of times I've said or asked this.

I think it's tragic that for the last five years, Harmony Gold has been solely in the business of conventions, reselling old content and studying gas prices.

Sorry, it's just sad. :(

That's pretty f!@king hilarious. Seriously, the guy must have no life, being that he can't seem to focus on his job, but is enamored with thoughts of gas. :lol: And that's kinda how the franchise rolls.

Alright. Who the f*** posted this on his blog?

If this is going to hurt convention numbers (rising gas prices), and yet you focus your "marketing" (if you can call it that) on the conventions, aren't you acknowledging your lack of logic in going this route? Also, aren't you really acknowledging your own pointless wasted time in going to all these conventions? Really, thanks for validating your own worthlessness.

You do know he won't give you a logical answer, right? He'll just say you're a disgruntled fanboy and maybe refer you to their awesome Facebook page.

That's pretty f!@king hilarious. Seriously, the guy must have no life, being that he can't seem to focus on his job, but is enamored with thoughts of gas. :lol: And that's kinda how the franchise rolls.

Imagine Kevin singing Elmer Fudd's 'Gwwilled Cheese Sandwich' song. Only instead of grilled cheese, it's gas. :p

Alright. Who the f*** posted this on his blog?

You do know he won't give you a logical answer, right? He'll just say you're a disgruntled fanboy and maybe refer you to their awesome Facebook page.

I'm sure he's loving the attention though...

Um, you really wanna know how he got his job at HG? It wasn't his background either. It was him pestering Tom Bateman to get him in, and a mistake Tom will always say, but I remember sitting in a car with Kevin and Tom, and Kevin trying to "sell himself" to Tom to get him a job there. Before working at HG, he was driving the shuttle buses, those ones you see at the airport all the time. I'm sure a degree in lighting doesn't make him anymore qualified to be a supposed marketing coordinator anymore than my degree in electrical engineering makes me a dentist. Thanks for sharing that bit. That was a funny read. Always brings me back to some funny days. :lol:

Who says we wrap this thread up and close out HG and Robotech until they really get their ducks in a row. It may take 5 to 20 years. But by then, we may not even remember, let alone care.

and the firm might not even exist anymore by then.

i wouldn't hold my breath, however, as HG seems to have always had the Devil's Luck...

Who says we wrap this thread up and close out HG and Robotech until they really get their ducks in a row. It may take 5 to 20 years. But by then, we may not even remember, let alone care.

Nah, the debate might've ended long ago... but this thread exists for two reasons:

1. Robotech might be dead as a series, but its fans say and do so many breathtakingly stupid things that commentary on it is virtually inevitable. This is a container for that so it doesn't leak out onto the rest of the boards.

2. Even now and then, a Robotech fan or someone who's listened to one and taken his "views" on the legal matter seriously comes here and has questions, which should be answered for their own good.

Besides, the commentary is amusing.

Robotech needs a reboot as a stop motion animation film using chunky munky toys from the 80s.

No no no, go FURTHER back - back to when they didn't really animate anything and instead superimposed real mouths over paper cutouts. I still get nightmares thinking about that stuff. (one scifi show done that way was on right after Star Blazers when it first ran - does anyone remember the title of that one?)

I wonder what life would've been like if Macross and Mospeada came to the states unedited into Robo-tech, but as their own individual series. Would they be as popular as Orguss or Dorvack in the US? Or would the anime boom in the US have occured sooner?

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

From Kev's profile on the blog

[Did you know Kev is "THE most hated person on Macrossworld."?]

No, I didn't! How can we hate someone who provides us with so much comic entertainment for free? :lol:

No no no, go FURTHER back - back to when they didn't really animate anything and instead superimposed real mouths over paper cutouts. I still get nightmares thinking about that stuff. (one scifi show done that way was on right after Star Blazers when it first ran - does anyone remember the title of that one?)

"Space Angel", maybe?

:unsure:

From Kev's profile on the blog:

[Did you know Kev is "THE most hated person on Macrossworld."?]

Is there a rehab clinic for racist trolls in L.A.?

...You really wanna know how (McKeever) got his job at HG? It wasn't his background either. It was him pestering Tom Bateman to get him in, and a mistake Tom will always say, but I remember sitting in a car with Kevin and Tom, and Kevin trying to "sell himself" to Tom to get him a job there. Before working at HG, he was driving the shuttle buses, those ones you see at the airport all the time.

Maybe McKeever still sidelines as a shuttle bus driver. Would explain his infatuation with gas prices.

Seriously, how can McKeevie be the most hated guy on Macrossworld? I love the guy cause it's so easy to make him cry. I actually worry about his health cause, as a medical professional, he really needs to lose some weight and take care of himself.

Seriously, how can McKeevie be the most hated guy on Macrossworld? I love the guy cause it's so easy to make him cry. I actually worry about his health cause, as a medical professional, he really needs to lose some weight and take care of himself.

Yeah, He proclaims that as a badge of honor, which isn't true. Dumbass, yes, hated, nah. I think Robotech fans who should be in his corner hate him more than anyone over here does. I think to hate someone, you actually have to care enough about them to do that, and frankly, I don't know anyone here who really gives a rat's @ss about him. He should be more concerned with the "RT fans", the ones who can't put up with his lack of common sense and logic. Oh, wait, maybe they're just mad at him because they're mad at the gas prices. :lol:

You guys need to stop being so hard on Kev. He's the guy who invented Robotech cereal. Taking all the leftovers from his nearly empty cereal boxes, and mixin' them together in one bowl.

Edited by Keith

"Space Angel", maybe?

:unsure:

I think that may be it, here in Jersey it was on following Star Blazers, boy was it terrible.

You guys need to stop being so hard on Kev. He's the guy who invented Robotech cereal. Taking all the leftovers from his nearly empty cereal boxes, and mixin' them together in one bowl.

THREE! Cereal boxes.

Didn't he also invent the term "Lying Macross Purist"...? Or am I thinking of someone else? :unsure:

What I don't get is why he alienates fans and insults them on the RT forums. I mean if he's supposed to be the public liason, he really needs to work on his people skills. Btw hi Kev if you're reading this :) .

Edit: One other thing- I was at an anime con, and almost anyone who I talked to had almost never heard of Macross Frontier, all thanks to our friends at HG- good job guys!

Edited by gaiden