DOTM Thundercracker review :

Awesome mold, awesome repaint :wub:

So wait, instead of the giant knife from Starscream, you get the half of the knife that doesn't do anything and f*cking Roadbusters chainsaw? god. damn. it. Hasbro. <_<

Edited by anime52k8

Hasbro Rodimus, i really don't like the paint job, and feel the lack of black boots/ lower leg just makes it look dumb.

hasbromprodimus.jpg

BTW there is no way this toy is for a 5 year old, that is just asking for it to get broken.

Edited by kanedaestes

I love how they name him Rodimus Prime on the box, and display him with the older face... while eliminating the trailer that's needed for Rodimus Prime's alt mode.

I posted this at CDX but here's my confusion with this release. It's a cartoon accurate toy now colored like the G1 Hot Rod toy, which means it is not accurate to the G1 Rodimus Prime toy so it's not really a good Rodimus Prime. It comes with the extra hand bits which have nowhere to store without the trailer. Also now it comes with the bigger Matrix from Masterpiece Optimus which to be fair is usable by Rodimus but can't be stored anywhere. Oh and now its red and not maroon.

Am I making any sense?

Basic fact is---he was sculpted to be molded in color, and the details are sculpted to match the animation paint apps. It's like trying to exactly fit a VF-25's paint job on a VF-1. It just won't fit quite right. He has "big black boots" inherently molded as part of the figure---making them G1-toy-colored doesn't really work well. And the finely-sculpted "orange bits" on his forearm--that are no longer orange---just calls even more attention to the loss of paint. Same as sculpting/molding his collar---yet leaving it the same color as the surroundings...

I posted this at CDX but here's my confusion with this release. It's a cartoon accurate toy now colored like the G1 Hot Rod toy, which means it is not accurate to the G1 Rodimus Prime toy so it's not really a good Rodimus Prime. It comes with the extra hand bits which have nowhere to store without the trailer. Also now it comes with the bigger Matrix from Masterpiece Optimus which to be fair is usable by Rodimus but can't be stored anywhere. Oh and now its red and not maroon.

Am I making any sense?

Yep. You're saying it's wrong any way you slice it. And I agree.

I don't know if I'll buy him or not. Depends on the pricing, I suppose. Realistically, I was never going to shell out the money for the Japanese release anyway, and I could always repaint him to be more toon accurate.

I just hope that Hasbro makes the trailer available in some form, if only through Hasbrotoyshop.com

But you guys are missing the point! He has a "MP" targetmaster! You know people are gonna be buying this toy mainly for the targetmaster! And its exclusive to tru in the us only!

But you guys are missing the point! He has a "MP" targetmaster! You know people are gonna be buying this toy mainly for the targetmaster! And its exclusive to tru in the us only!

Yup, and people are also going straight to customer service to return it once they snag the targetmaster for the Takara version they already own.

Ironhide and Ratchet look fantastic. I'm just surprised that it looks like an original sculpt...from iGear!

The iGear Ironhide and Ratchet look nice n all, but if the quality is like the Faith Leader (MP Prime) then I'm passing. Have any of you handled their version of prime? The plastic really feels like a bootleg type plastic and just feels like it would break easily. I was hoping it was like Fansproject quality.

Yeah, there is a video review floating around of the Clear Faith leader, and the thing is practically falling apart while he's transforming it, and it came broken out of the box. About the only 3rd party full figure I could justify was Springer/Warbot but he was exceptionally nice.

The iGear Ironhide and Ratchet look nice n all, but if the quality is like the Faith Leader (MP Prime) then I'm passing. Have any of you handled their version of prime? The plastic really feels like a bootleg type plastic and just feels like it would break easily. I was hoping it was like Fansproject quality.

Just got the first of the Igear MP Coneheads... they said they changed factories and it shows. I have the second release of the Faith Leader and it does feel like a bootleg but the conehead is another story.

The plastic feels hollower than on the MP Starscream but very sturdy and well build. With the Faith Leader I don't feel like touching it too much because of fear, but this one I can play with.

Also, the new vid on the arms are a nice touch (they show Starscream and Shockwave).

The new sliding mechanism that turns the hip kibble into leg mass is very well implemented.

Face expression is a bit boring though.

Crappy phone pics next to other MP:

post-2996-0-49533100-1307124615_thumb.jpg

post-2996-0-45659900-1307124656_thumb.jpg

post-2996-0-24888100-1307124718_thumb.jpg

post-2996-0-95068800-1307124754_thumb.jpg

post-2996-0-49972800-1307124834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twoducks

I've been out of the Transformers fold for a while. Has the newest (DOTM) Optimus Prime been released yet? This time, I have planned to go all out and get a FrenzyRumble custom of him with all the works. That will really feed my inner child hunger for Transformers toys all the while feeding my older collector's desire for a detailed model...

Heh. Looks like a bootleg. And just look at the back of the box. Rodimus really let himself go. "It used to be about the music, man!" "Bleaaaarghh!" :lol:

But still, it will probably be improved over the Takara original. Ugh. There are SO many things wrong on that toy. I just found another problem with mine this morning! :rolleyes:

the Hasbro Rodimus looks okay in his car mode. but the new color of the face makes Rodimus look reaaaallyyyyy old. it's like his face is going to turn into ash anytime soon.

i hope they will list the improvements made from the Takara one, like the spring on the feet issue i've read about etc. etc.

Heh. Looks like a bootleg. And just look at the back of the box. Rodimus really let himself go. "It used to be about the music, man!" "Bleaaaarghh!" :lol:

But still, it will probably be improved over the Takara original. Ugh. There are SO many things wrong on that toy. I just found another problem with mine this morning! :rolleyes:

care to share the new problem with MP09? I don't think i'll ever have the courage to transform mine after hearing over and over that it has "SO many things wrong" with it.

EDIT - i'll probably get this when it has been cleared to have no issues when transformed... just so I can experience transforming it... and maybe my MP09 Trailer, which has been kept in the box, might finally have some use. :mellow:

Edited by m0n5t3r

the Hasbro Rodimus looks okay in his car mode. but the new color of the face makes Rodimus look reaaaallyyyyy old. it's like his face is going to turn into ash anytime.

i hope they will list the improvements made from the Takara one, like the spring on the feet issue i've read about etc. etc.

care to share the new problem with MP09? I don't think i'll ever have the courage to transform mine after hearing that it has "SO many things wrong" with it.

The front left wheel is always a good 1 or 2 millimetres off the ground in car mode. I have no idea why, I spent an hour or so adjusting stuff, trying different things, but I honestly have no idea what the root of the problem is. I think it's a side effect of the issue I have with one of the legs apparently not folding in properly (again, a millimetre makes all the difference).

There are a million other issues with this thing, but OVERALL... I do like it.

And of course, it's your toy and you can do what you wish with it, but in my opinion, if I buy a Transformer and not transform it, then honestly, it might as well be broken. Go ahead and have fun. Even if it sucks, hating is part of the loving. B))

There were 2 things wrong with mine. The foot springs, the chest not clipping securely. I fixed the foot springs and I can live with the loose chest clip. I'm also curious to know what problem he discovered today.

I might as well just list the other problems, then.

- The backpack does not click in place. I hear this is common. Depending on the weather (or something), the entire backpack ends up swinging down under its own weight.

- Chest lock not tight enough, again common.

- Hands do not grip the guns well enough, llllet's hear it for COMMMMOONN...

- Feet springs are screwed up, after the second transformation. They don't even feel like ratchet joints any more.

- One of the lower leg panels feels like it's getting looser, and this may be an indication that it will just break off like on some others I've read about. The screw bores away the plastic, apparently.

- The arms do not peg into where they should in car mode. I watched Peaugh's review carefully, he makes it look so easy. I don't know what he's doing that I'm not, if anything.

- The forearm panels don't remain closed when using those blade/welder attachment things. Bah, whatever.

- Middle wheels off the ground in RV mode. I think this is common, too.

- The legs. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure there is something odd here. This is probably the most unnoticeable, yet biggest issue, because as I described above, in car mode, everything has to be locked nice and tight or else you put stress on some other areas. There probably needs to be an extra click, or something to curl one of the legs just a tiny fraction more in car mode, because I see spaces on one side that aren't on the other. And I think this is throwing car mode off entirely. For starters, this issue prevents one of the leg panels on the underside of the car from reaching the hole it's supposed to peg into. This in turn is probably causing something else to screw up, like putting overt pressure on that reeeally thin tab that holds the rear roof in place, and so on.

Bleah.

Edited by Renato

I cannot WAIT to buy the Hasbro Rodimus. My Takara version can sit on the shelf looking pretty while I transform the sh!t out of the Hasbro version. Hell, for $49.99 I might just buy two of them.

Edited by eriku

I cannot WAIT to buy the Hasbro Rodimus. My Takara version can sit on the shelf looking pretty while I transform the sh!t out of the Hasbro version. Hell, for $49.99 I might just buy two of them.

$49.99!?! :blink:

Wasn't MP Grimlock around $90? I'm not that big a hot rod fan but for 50 bucks I'm all over that. (seriously, for that price I'm fine with having to bust out some masking tape and paint to fix the boots/face.)