DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

On the bright side, it's not that hard to get a new 25F as a replacement.

Yeah it isn't, But right now i just don't have all that money to buy a new 25F since all the preorders I put down, and that couch put me out about 5 of my preorders since it was over $700+!

• 2 weeks later...

I think some where in this thread shows how to disassemble the VF-25 for custom job. Does anyone have any knowledge where it is? I couldn't seem to find it and I just want to know how to disassemble the legs and arms.

Many thanks!

This isn't in the VF-25 thread, but I made a post with pics for the YF-29 here with some follow up posts below it.

Most of it applies to the VF-25 also. To remove the arms, I believe you can just remove the screw underneath each of the die cast shoulder blocks.

I think some where in this thread shows how to disassemble the VF-25 for custom job. Does anyone have any knowledge where it is? I couldn't seem to find it and I just want to know how to disassemble the legs and arms.

Many thanks!

Hope this one helps you on how to disassemble the legs and arms. Again, fix it at your own risk. ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41401&p=1139003

Hope this one helps you on how to disassemble the legs and arms. Again, fix it at your own risk. ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41401&p=1139003

Thanks for the idea on removing the shoulder part. So far so good at my end :)

This isn't in the VF-25 thread, but I made a post with pics for the YF-29 here with some follow up posts below it.

Most of it applies to the VF-25 also. To remove the arms, I believe you can just remove the screw underneath each of the die cast shoulder blocks.

Thanks! It seems like it's not possible to disassemble the legs without breaking anything :mellow:

^This, if Bandai would make the jump for all matte on the Macross toys I would sell all of my version 2's to get the matte versions. Time to get out the sand blaster and fix those molds :lol:

I know some people like the glossy look, but I prefer the matte. It looks more realistic for some reason and makes them look more model like and less toy like.

LOL, V3 VF-25. I suspect that's the kind of thing to expect on Frontier's 25th anniversary.

If that's the case, it will be a V2.5 VF-25 on Frontiers 25th anniversary, and then the V3.0 VF-25 on the 30th anniversary. :lol:

Suddenly, I just got a chill down my spine. I wouldn't put it past Bandai to try something like that. :blink:

I wonder if we'll snap them up or wait for a v2. It seems to be Bandai's strategy. :lol:

I'll probably be picking up the Delta V1s, but I would like to think they will be good. (I hope) The VF-19 Advanced is a V1 and I think it turned out well.

^This, if Bandai would make the jump for all matte on the Macross toys I would sell all of my version 2's to get the matte versions. Time to get out the sand blaster and fix those molds :lol:

I know some people like the glossy look, but I prefer the matte. It looks more realistic for some reason and makes them look more model like and less toy like.

So, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, but I have never understood the logic highlighted in bold. Whenever I see a real car or plane, they are almost always glossy (unless they are old and faded or someone is in the middle of paint applications and has a matte black coat). So, why do you and so many others think that a matte paint job looks more realistic? I agree that a matte paint job can look nice, but I don't necessarily see it as "more realistic" when compared to a real car or plane.

Please explain so that I may be enlightened.

Thanks

So, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, but I have never understood the logic highlighted in bold. Whenever I see a real car or plane, they are almost always glossy (unless they are old and faded or someone is in the middle of paint applications and has a matte black coat). So, why do you and so many others think that a matte paint job looks more realistic? I agree that a matte paint job can look nice, but I don't necessarily see it as "more realistic" when compared to a real car or plane.

Please explain so that I may be enlightened.

Thanks

Most combat aircraft are matte, not shiny. Blue Angels and such are shiny because they are for air shows, and the public. Same goes for airliners. They want their birds to look clean, a pretty. Something reflective and glossy would be a detriment to your survivability in combat. Space, or otherwise.

Most combat aircraft are matte, not shiny. Blue Angels and such are shiny because they are for air shows, and the public. Same goes for airliners. They want their birds to look clean, a pretty. Something reflective and glossy would be a detriment to your survivability in combat. Space, or otherwise.

Ok. Thanks. That makes sense. As I am not part of the military, I never see military planes up close.

Could go both ways. Maybe drawing attention to themselves is part of their strategy to draw attackers away from the colony ships. Could explain the extravagant hero schemes, and white space fighters. Just conjecture.

In today's world, does having a matte finish really help with survivability in combat? Missiles are radar guided or heat seeking, and a matte paint job doesn't really reduce their effectiveness.

Combat also relies mostly on radar for target location and acquisition. So whether or not your plane was shiny, it would've been seen by radar long before you can see it with your eyes.

Lastly, if it boils down to a gun-based dogfight (no guided weaponry), I'd have a much harder time keeping my eyes on a shiny object that reflects the sun into my eyes rather than something that didn't.

In today's world, does having a matte finish really help with survivability in combat? Missiles are radar guided or heat seeking, and a matte paint job doesn't really reduce their effectiveness.

Combat also relies mostly on radar for target location and acquisition. So whether or not your plane was shiny, it would've been seen by radar long before you can see it with your eyes.

Lastly, if it boils down to a gun-based dogfight (no guided weaponry), I'd have a much harder time keeping my eyes on a shiny object that reflects the sun into my eyes rather than something that didn't.

Stealth and radar absorbing material is matte. It is not just for human eyesight. Anything that will absorb radar is a + to survivability.

As far as close range dogfighting goes, I'd much rather see the enemy by a reflected glare, than see nothing at all. There are many books on dog fighting dating all the way back to the aces of WWI. Easy enough to Google. I am sure they don't all apply to space combat, but worth checking out. Look up Dicta Boelcke.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Does it have to be matte to absorb radar? Do light and sound waves behave the same way? (Meaning does something that bounces off light well also bounce off sound better?)

Edit: I read up a little on Radar Absorbing Material and from what I understand, it's the composition of the paint itself (contains iron balls) that causes it to absorb radar, and not the finish. So I think a matte or gloss finish wouldn't affect its radar absorbing ability.

Edited by ArchieNov

Modern "stealth" is a combination of fuselage facets, and material. Computer simulation tests were rudimentary by today's standards when the f-117 was developed. The reason why it looks so unique is due to the faceting being a sign of the limited technology of the time. The F-117 is not invisible. It simply has a tiny radar profile due to those facets, and material. Radar Absorbing Material (RAM) and fuselage design can make something as big as a jet, look like a goose on radar.

Modern computer simulations have allowed us to design aircraft with small radar profiles, without having to have such rudimentary facets as the F-117 has. F-22 looks incredibly sleek in comparison, but uses the same fudementals for stealth.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Does it have to be matte to absorb radar? Do light and sound waves behave the same way? (Meaning does something that bounces off light well also bounce off sound better?)

Edit: I read up a little on Radar Absorbing Material and from what I understand, it's the composition of the paint itself (contains iron balls) that causes it to absorb radar, and not the finish. So I think a matte or gloss finish wouldn't affect its radar absorbing ability.

Any finish applied to RAM, that isn't RAM, would affect its radar absorbing ability. And, again, no real combat pilot wants to go into combat in a shiny jet. In real life an enemy can kill you, on a show a writer kills you. We are talking about a cartoon, so they can get away with whatever lavishness they want.

If there was any benefit, at all (even 1%), to flying a shiny combat aircraft every super power in the world would be using them.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Hmmm, so based on what I've understood so far, it's not really that being reflective or glossy reduces your survivability in combat, it's whether you're using RAM paint (which just coincidentally happens to be matte by nature). If RAM paint was naturally glossy, then we'd see more glossy fighter planes.

Save for the fact that a glossy plane is easier to see with your eyes. No matter how slim the chance that it would be relevant in a modern combat situation, no one is going to make a combat aircraft shiny unless there is an appropriate benefit.

I'd be more than happy to continue via PM. Don't want to de-rail the thread too much :)

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I wonder if we'll snap them up or wait for a v2. It seems to be Bandai's strategy. :lol:

If they look like garbage, like the V1 VF-25's did, it will be a no brainer for me to pass them up like I did the V1's. They're going to be CGI, there's NO EXCUSE for them not to be accurate. It was hilarious to read people defending the fact that the V1's anime sculpt accuracy was craptacular. Then came the V2's, LOL.

Bandai won't get away with those shenanigans twice, and they know it.

And I agree with Graham, the V3's will also need to have wing hard points and better pilot sculpts.

Edited by Kyp Durron

hmmm a v3 VF-25 doesn't seem like such a bad idea! At least I wouldn't have that many to replace..

matte finish, better pilot sculpts, wing hard points, magnetized add on parts, more paint chip resistance, better battroid torso position & lockup AND better designed articulation joints would be very welcome things!