Homeworld2 Demo tommorrow!

one_klump

The game is shipped to vendors and anyone who ordered online on tuesday(16th)

Arrives at most vendors on the 17th, or same day.

Vendors (like eb) dont put the product on the shelves till 24 hours (1 business day) after the product is received, (in other words the 18th, or 17th if product arrives same day) which gives em enough time to do an inventory, reserve the pre-ordered ones, and actually put the product on the shelves.

If you're nearby a Fry's Electronics they're selling Howeworld 2 for $39.99 B) .

One tiny problem.

I'm in Ottawa Canada, and I don't think there's a Fry's up here...

In anycase I'll be getting my copy tommorow... Besides I've already put down $25 Cdn for it...

Still have to wait until it is released in Europe (27th) :angry:

You guys do carry the Kite logo as your badge, right? :rolleyes:

OH MAMA!!! @.@ , that is one HUGE ship you got there Chen , i cant WAIT to play this game!!! :p

2 bad i have to wait till the 27th...thats when its released here in sweden ... man this game is gonna kick ass!

//Dan..

that depends on the devlopement team and the way the program works it would be possable to make the fire bomber valk play a song as a sound effect while its moveing or fighting

Heh, that means if I was into computer games and bought this game then I could finally fufil my dream of playing as Gamlin and using my VF-17D to blow the crap out of Basara's VF-19kai

grenade_launder.gifpeace.gif

Graham

Heh, that means if I was into computer games and bought this game then I could finally fufil my dream of playing as Gamlin and using my VF-17D to blow the crap out of Basara's VF-19kai

Heh. Too bad Basara was a better pilot (by Gamlin's own admission) and that the VF-19 Kai is a better Valkyrie. ;) Maybe Dokker in a Blazer Valk (or Max in a VF-22!) could do it, though. :D

Its a little old news now, but Homeworld is officially out, the 17th was the official release date for EB Games. They sell it for $49.99 and theres a $10 Gift Voucher you can mail in for.

$10 Gift Vouchers are also available for: Jedi Knight Academy, Tron 2.0 and D&D Temple of Something Something. Some other games too...

Woo. Played a few missions last night. Brought back memories.

But I must be really out of practice or something. After getting past the first two missions that were in the demo, i got slaughtered on the third. Finally passed it on the second try, then I got slaughtered on the fourth, repeatedly. The Vaygr are a nasty bunch.

downloaded the demo... not much difference between cataclysm... but the enviroment is beautifull and the bulletfire, damage and exhaust of the engines looks also cool. just 1 thing bothering me is that they still use old colorfull textures.. I like them better in 1 single plain color just like the base.

Edited by Kin

hehe... it was HW2 or Jedi Academy... got HW2 :-p

they really revamped the difficulty though... first two missions were "pfft.....". After that, it was from "Holy...." to "OMFG....." to hitting them poor knees every time I see red dots, praying that it's not a full fledged strike force on the way.

It's fun though, makes you pull out all the stops and really use every ship available.

The Vaygr are a nasty bunch.

can you play as both Yaygr and Kushan.....sorry... Hiigaran or only as Hiigaran this time around? , the Yaygr seems to have more kickass ships if you ask me.

//Dan..

They differe quite a bit (unlike homeworld 1) but they remain pretty evenly matched. The Hiigarans have lots of ion and cannon based weaponry. On the flip side, the Vagyr are all about missiles and pulsar beams. Nothing is very guaranteed as being stronger. If an ion cannon hits, it's going to do a lot of damage, like-wise with missiles and torpedoes that the Vagyr use. However, ion cannons have a difficult time tracking fast moving targets, and missiles get really confused against things that make lots of turns and weaves. Cannon fire is weak, but has a higher hit ration, and the Vagyr pulsar fighters have a strong attack but fire slower and are limited to firing the beam in only a straight line forward.

It's all about unit-countering. You need A ship to counter B ship, and C ship to protect A ship from D, etc etc.

I'll need to make a better tactic to bring down those 6 Vaygr Battlecruisers with only 2 Hiigarian ones then . . . cursed Vaygrs.

Use the Dreadnaught :)

hehe, you'd be surprised how fast 6 BCs can take down the Dreadnaught (or in my case, it was 8 BCs....). A few tips from how I finally managed to pass that level:

Stay on the defensive, at least till you've managed to whittle away most of their attack forces, then stay on the defensive for a while longer, or at least send a probe forward. I took out the first four incoming BCs, then sent my tattered fleet forward to finish the Vaygr off. Imagine how surprised I was to see my 2 BCs, 2 Destroyers, and 3 torp frigs run full frontal into another 4 BCs and 6 more Destroyers.....

Focus fire. Focus everything from your interceptors to your Dreadnaught on one target (unless there's a pressing reason not to... like your BC is being swarmed by bombers...).

Build while you're fighting. A lot of people actually don't do this for some reason.... but the Mothership, carrier(s), and shipyard can make up for your losses, at least enough to keep you in the fight.

Between the AA turrets on the mothership, shipyard, and mobile resource station, fighters actually go down pretty fast. I find that BC AA turrets also do a pretty good job, wish we were allowed to build more of them...*grumble grumble....*

Hope these help... once your past this one, the rest is downhill, especially after you get.... *ahem..* =)

Edited by Akilae

Hi I was wondering if anyone has gotten to mission 12 and passed it... it is stupidly crazy hard. I am maxed out on everything i can build and research and i have 80,000+ ru's. There seems to be almost as many BC's as i have frigates. I been stuck on this board since like thursday i think. any help would be appreciated.. I just can't seem to put a halt on their advance cuz i usually stair down at least 6 BC's at one time and I've engaged as much as 12 at one time and more keep coming.. I have however managed to take out all the shipyards and the 1 carrier and even sent magaan packing but after all that i have like no ships left and they still got like 10 BC's with supporting ships... I'm about ready to pull out my hair on this board ;) ... but i must say this game is absolutely great!

kong

Hi I was wondering if anyone has gotten to mission 12 and passed it... it is stupidly crazy hard. I am maxed out on everything i can build and research and i have 80,000+ ru's. There seems to be almost as many BC's as i have frigates. I been stuck on this board since like thursday i think. any help would be appreciated.. I just can't seem to put a halt on their advance cuz i usually stair down at least 6 BC's at one time and I've engaged as much as 12 at one time and more keep coming.. I have however managed to take out all the shipyards and the 1 carrier and even sent magaan packing but after all that i have like no ships left and they still got like 10 BC's with supporting ships... I'm about ready to pull out my hair on this board ;) ... but i must say this game is absolutely great!

kong

Might wanna refer to my tips post, which was made with mission 12 in mind.

Here's a few more that came up when I replayed it:

Try to arrange your ships in what you think is the best defensive position and stay there. Keey everything together so they can support each other. Even the mothership, mobile resource platform, and the carriers have AA turrets that can help out.

If you have that many RUs, forget about harvesting and concentrate on repairing. The moment there's a lull in the combat, send all of your fighter/vetts in for repairing, then reform them right after they're done.

One thing that would work very well in theory would be to send in your bombers and take out the engines and missile launchers of the BCs, then send your own ships in right next to them. Remember, the Vaygr BCs can only fire at what's in front of them. Your BCs and Destroyers will benefit, since they work best firing full broadside anyway... Then again, I haven't tried this, so I don't know how this'll actually work.

Once again, focus fire helps. You'd be amazed at how fast a destroyer falls to a full contingent of fighters/vetts/movers (well, not fast enough... but not too bad :-p).

I really think if it's not a combat ship, then you really don't need it. Build Marine and def. field frigs when you need them, otherwise they're just cannon fodder.

Build while you fight.

And one kicker that a lot of people seem to forget: the pause function. If things get hectic, pause, replot, give out your commands, then unpause.

Anybody tried jumping in with a minimalist fleet? The AI is dynamic, so in theory the less you jump in with....

You really get a sense of satisfaction though, after taking out a fleet that outnumbers you ten to one :D

yeah i've tried sending in my bombers to slow them down by killing their engines and missle launchers with my fighters can corvettes covering them.. I've even fought them tooth and nail till i ran out of ru's! from 80,000 to nothing... and yes i also pause quite a lot on that bored... but your right there is no feelign like overcoming really big odds and it's just fun to watch a big battle like that.. i've even built 14 bomber squads to go in and mess them up but they just don't kill them fast enough... but i tell you what once i do finally pass this board i will feel so good.. the other boards weren't this hard lol... i even went to the homeworld 2 forums and tried what they did.. i just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.. i've been trying to lull them out and take them on piece meal but they are smarter now lol... hmm i'll try it again when i've calmed down i think.. maybe tomorrow or later today when i feel some insperation lol.. that board has totally destroyed my moral ;) but each time i play the board it last like 2 hours or more.. then i'm just down and out... i even built 2 more carriers so i would have 3 so all of them and my mother ship and ship yard could spit out stuff but they just keep coming... oh well one of these days i will get you vayger scum!! :angry:

kong

no it's not the last mission.. i'm not sure how many there are i think like 15 or something... but yeah i have even built 20 ion platforms in the middle of a mine field to slow these foo's down.. and it slowed them down. that is how i used all my 80,000 ru's lol... i'll get this eventually i like this game too much lol. i can't wait till mods come out for this game..

:p

kong

Platforms are a godsend. Usually though, I move my entire fleet along, so that there's a larger field of fire and more targets for the enemies to focus on. The most damaging parts of the Vaygr battlecruisers is that BIG gun it has on front and the missile launchers. The big gun doesn't fire very often and it's untargettable anyway, so concentrate all bomber fire on the missile launchers. This will keep your forces alive for a while longer and even give your destroyers the chance to mix it up a bit. Don't forget to build movers as well. Always try to stay defensive until you can get a full fleet, then try to pound from his side. If you go spearing straight through the middle, you'll most likely get swarmed by battle cruisers advancing from all sides. Also, don't forget that mobile refineries and carriers are bristling with guns as well and can take a lot of punishment when fully upgraded. The carrier is a capital ship and tends to draw fire quite quickly, but the refineries tend to be able to just cruise in the middle of battle. Build a bunch of these guys and let them go after the fighters while your heavies focus full attention on opposing capital ships.

wow, thanx imode and zor for your advice. i never even thought of using my refineries as anti fighter support. or us the scouts emp pulse. i'll have to try those ideas out when i finally have the moral to play again. getting my arse handed to me so much over the weekend hurt me more than i thought lol. but i'll let you know when i try it. and i been trying to think of other ways to beat it. thanx again for everyones advice.

kong