Macross Dyrl For Ps2

GutsAndCasca

Restrained yes, but still fun. You gotta' play through about 6 levels in a row with a fastpack at least once. And also, yes. Unlocking all the valks and color schemes unlocks the fastpacks.

Restrained yes, but still fun. You gotta' play through about 6 levels in a row with a fastpack at least once. And also, yes. Unlocking all the valks and color schemes unlocks the fastpacks.

413573[/snapback]

But my point was I want free selection. :(

Hmmm... I wonder if there's any Action Replay codes to use the QRau...

Blech. No such luck.

Agreed. I'm not sure what they were thinking... maybe they were just trying to get the game pushed out fast or something. But in a lot of respects, it doesn't seem like too bad of a rush job game.

The GBP isn't allowed because of form restrictions.

Even ejectable and restricted to ground missions only, it would break any cinematics involving transformation or non-fighter mode as well as levels where you start outside of battroid mode.

I understand exactly WHY it was done. I just don't like it.

Then I think they're lazy. And they suck. You'd think they'd have wanted to exact the same kind of enjoyment out of the game that they've left us bereft of.

414058[/snapback]

How many games have you developed, mister expert?

One of the goals of the game was to make all 3 modes useful, as that usually ranks much higher on people's list of things they want to see in a Macross game than using the GBP does.

And they largely succeeded. Generally you WILL change modes a few times during the level, unless it's a fighter-based stage.

The GBP would break that, as it adds a great incentive to use battroid exclusively. FAST packs don't, though they're limited to space combat and the non-continuity VS mode(thank goodness they didn't adhere to any real structure for that).

Actually, any decent Macross game will have limited use for the GBP outside of special stages. If a GBP can be successfully deployed most of the time, the game is failing seriously elsewhere. And a GBP stage didn't fit with the story for Battlecry(or most Macross stories, for that matter. It's sole deployment in SDF was essentially Hikaru being stupid.).

I know for a fact that the development team DID include large Macross fans.

They WERE trying to make a good game, they just approached it from a diffrent angle than a lot of people here wanted to see.

And their approach DID leave it with some flaws, but on the whole it's a fun game. That's more than can be said for a lot of other licensed titles.

Then I think they're lazy. And they suck. You'd think they'd have wanted to exact the same kind of enjoyment out of the game that they've left us bereft of.

414058[/snapback]

One of the goals of the game was to make all 3 modes useful, as that usually ranks much higher on people's list of things they want to see in a Macross game than using the GBP does.

And they largely succeeded. Generally you WILL change modes a few times during the level, unless it's a fighter-based stage.

The GBP would break that, as it adds a great incentive to use battroid exclusively. FAST packs don't, though they're limited to space combat and the non-continuity VS mode(thank goodness they didn't adhere to any real structure for that).

Actually, any decent Macross game will have limited use for the GBP outside of special stages. If a GBP can be successfully deployed most of the time, the game is failing seriously elsewhere. And a GBP stage didn't fit with the story for Battlecry(or most Macross stories, for that matter. It's sole deployment in SDF was essentially Hikaru being stupid.).

They WERE trying to make a good game, they just approached it from a diffrent angle than a lot of people here wanted to see.

And their approach DID leave it with some flaws, but on the whole it's a fun game. That's more than can be said for a lot of other licensed titles.

414065[/snapback]

All I really wanted was full Y-axis support but no, it only has a 180 degree Y-axis rotation.

Edited by Mephistopheles

414058[/snapback]

414065[/snapback]

You make it sound like I'm not giving them any credit whatsoever. Listen, if they can let you play a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER through the entire game after you beat Castlevania, and oh my gosh, yes they delete some of those cut scenes from the first run through, then I THINK THE BATTLECRY DEVELOPERS COULD HAVE LET PLAYERS USE THE GBP IN THE STAGES AFTER YOU BEAT THE GAME. I'm not a total idiot. The makers of battlecry didn't produce some incredible ground breaking game that took them 9 years to make. Comparative to the whole project in its entirety, it would have been a not-so-incredibly-hard task to allow for some fun with GBP later on. I've just played way too many great games with some really cool added extras/cheats to let this one slide so easily. I stand by my accusation. LAZY.

I appreciate the time it takes for people to develop games, but then, I'm not a designer, I can afford to be critical of games. And Battle cry was fun for a while, but terrible overal...

Case in point that if it wasn't Macross, I would probably have never played it. It honestly deserves it's under $10 used asking price.

And yeah I want to use the GBP for the same reason Hikaru did. It's this amazing shiny missle-loaded thing just sitting in the hangar that they lever let me use. Even though it might not be suited for missions, and Hiraku got his ass kicked (mostly by himself) using it, it's still something I wanted to play around with. They could stand to let you mess with the Q-rau too, for that matter. Being useful or not isn't much of an excuse for a clear save file in a game that boasts unlockables. :(

You make it sound like I'm not giving them any credit whatsoever.

You said they were lazy and sucked solely because the GBP wasn't usable in story mode.

Those're pretty strong words.

Listen, if they can let you play a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER through the entire game after you beat Castlevania, and oh my gosh, yes they delete some of those cut scenes from the first run through, then I THINK THE BATTLECRY DEVELOPERS COULD HAVE LET PLAYERS USE THE GBP IN THE STAGES AFTER  YOU BEAT THE GAME.

A character that didn't radically alter the gameplay. Your analogy is akin to a Macross game where you're forced to play battroid all the time not having a playable GBP.

And Richter as implemented is a half-assed afterthought.

He's grossly unbalanced, has no reason to visit the vast majority of the map, can win all but one boss battle just by using the holy water item crash, and has no real goal in the game.

Though in KCET's defense, Symphony of the Night was actually forced out the door in an incomplete state, and KCEK's Saturn version was an incompetent port.

Maria was ALSO intended to be unlockable, and there's at least one map area that was never constructed(The tile in the drawbridge screen can be dropped under with the right abuses of the game, though the only thing there is a save point). There's also dialog on the disk for a "fifth ending" that can't be accessed at any point in-game.

The possibility exists that there was an intent to create an actual playthrough for Richter instead of just throwing him into the map to beat stuff up at random.

The Saturn version added Maria playability and 2 map areas. But the new map areas are generally considered to feel very tacked on and obviously not the original intent.

There's also severe slowdown and load time issues that serve to greatly reduce the game's playability, and are inexcusable for that game/system combination. The general impression is that KCEK either didn't understand the Saturn or didn't care enough to make the game play right.

I'm not a total idiot. The makers of battlecry didn't produce some incredible ground breaking game that took them 9 years to make.

Aside from 3D Realms, what game developers DO take 9 years?

Comparative to the whole project in its entirety, it would have been a not-so-incredibly-hard task to allow for some fun with GBP later on.

At BEST it would've been severely limited, so that it was only usable in urban stages, as those are the only ones you can get away with battroid exclusivity. And then people would've battyed about how worthless the option was because they could never use it(see: FAST packs).

I've just played way too many great games with some really cool added extras/cheats to let this one slide so easily.

And how many have you played where you can drive a car in a flight stage?

That's essentially what you're asking for.

Actually I was referring to that new Castlevania for PS2 (well it's about a year old) and Xbox. You can only be the main guy and then you unlock Trevor... or Simon Belmont? Anyway, those are the only two characters in the game. And it definitely took them some time to completely change the game (and I mean completely) to be Trevor, or Simon or whatever. THAT is a seriously wicked unlockable. And I've seen other cool ones. Letting you pick GBP armor on a few ground-based levels would have been cake.

As for the taking 9 years, I was exaggerating to get my point across. And some games do in fact take years to produce. I still think they were lazy to give us no GBP or Qrau level fun.

NOW. On a different note, I just got DRYL the import today in the mail. I played it a little bit so far... the graphics are nice. I wish I could speak Japanese, then my enjoyment would be triple what it is. So far it's pretty cool, but the dogfighting seems relatively boring. Of course, I've only made it to level 2 on the Prometheus (TV version I'm assuming) half of the game. I like it because it's Macross, but this is not the funnest game I've ever played by a longshot. At least it's better than that Gundam game I bought used for PS2. That game sucked so bad I can't really think of an analogy that quite fits. I hope Macross picks up a little bit. I'm sure it'll be more fun once I get fastpacked and get to change valks.

Actually I was referring to that new Castlevania for PS2 (well it's about a year old) and Xbox. You can only be the main guy and then you unlock Trevor... or Simon Belmont? Anyway, those are the only two characters in the game. And it definitely took them some time to completely change the game (and I mean completely) to be Trevor, or Simon or whatever. THAT is a seriously wicked unlockable.

Ah.

I haven't played any of the polygonal CVs, so I can't say.

I rememer they had an unlockable Belmont in Aria of Sorrow.

He was as bad as Richter.

And I've seen other cool ones. Letting you pick GBP armor on a few ground-based levels would have been cake.

As for the taking 9 years, I was exaggerating to get my point across. And some games do in fact take years to produce. I still think they were lazy to give us no GBP or Qrau level fun.

Game development usually runs about a year and a half.

Past that, things start getting dated rather rapidly, as hardware cycles out or knowledge of hardware exploits advances.

NOW. On a different note, I just got DRYL the import today in the mail. I played it a little bit so far... the graphics are nice. I wish I could speak Japanese, then my enjoyment would be triple what it is. So far it's pretty cool, but the dogfighting seems relatively boring. Of course, I've only made it to level 2 on the Prometheus (TV version I'm assuming) half of the game.

Yah. Prometheus is TV, ARMD is DYRL.

ARMD is also supposed to be "hard mode" if I recall.

I like it because it's Macross, but this is not the funnest game I've ever played by a longshot. At least it's better than that Gundam game I bought used for PS2. That game sucked so bad I can't really think of an analogy that quite fits. I hope Macross picks up a little bit. I'm sure it'll be more fun once I get fastpacked and get to change valks.

I hope it picks up for you too.

I need to pick that one up still. And quit laughing about the special-cased gameover if you fly Kakizaki's VF in the level he dies in.

Things like GBP being accessible after a stage had been completed would have been easy to implement. You could write a three line function to enable its use. So yes, they were lazy in that respect. The game could have had many improvements made to it however it was an extremely low-budget game.

DYRL - I beat Prometheus mode and am now working my way through ARMD. Pretty cool! I guess you play as a member of skull squadron. I'm stuck on the level where Max has replaced Roy Focker as leader, and Kakizake, Max, Hikaru, (and me) fly out to fight Miria. (In the game they actually call her Miria, not Milia) She kicked my ass all over the place so this might take some time... But wow! This game is pretty awesome. The levels are basically along the line of "If you've played one you've played them all" but it's still fun. I swear these valks look like the game designers took a Yamato 1/48 toy and 3D scanned it directly into the game.

It just sucks that I don't speak Japanese, because a few times I've been confused as to what the hell I was supposed to do on a level.

Oh - does anybody know if someone has translated the cut scenes into english around here?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

JBO- They are lazy and they do suck. Based on the simple fact of no wings in "battloid" mode. They didn't want to take the time to make it work and make the game accurate, so they dropped the idea, and made a crappy looking VF look crappy and odd.

414296[/snapback]

Yes, yes, we all know the wings are missing. Though I barely noticed it in the game.

I can't believe that a minor liberty with the character model makes the entire development studio suck.

Things like GBP being accessible after a stage had been completed would have been easy to implement. You could write a three line function to enable its use. So yes, they were lazy in that respect. The game could have had many improvements made to it however it was an extremely low-budget game.

414305[/snapback]

There's no good way to implement the GBP. It just doesn't work for most stages in the game. The handful it WILL work in would just leave people whining about "Battlecry sucks because I can only use the GBP in 6 stages" or whatever the actual count winds up being.

Don't believe me? Start playing levels battroid-exclusive, and tally it up.

3 lines of code will leave you with a horribly broken implementation without signifigant changes in several other functions.

As things exist, there's one status bit: Space mission. This is likely the only thing that reported about stage contents outside the game engine(because it's needed for FAST pack authenticism).

You COULD add a second status bit for "GBP-compatible stage", but it's not worth the effort for the minimal stages it's useful in.

Especially since it forces you to fix the existing "FAST pack in atmosphere" logic bug, which probably exists because FAST packs weren't intended to be optional when they coded the frontend. While the FAST pack bug doesn't cause any actual problems, the GBP bug WOULD.

So GBP in story mode results in a major overhaul to the frontend for a fanservice feature that is only USABLE in maybe a dozen levels and actually a valid option in even fewer.

The QRau at least has GERWALK functionality.

I'm not sure where you got the low-budget argument, BTW. I don't see any evidence that it was low-budget, just that it was forced out the door before it was completely finished(Which happens a LOT, especially with games released in November. The holiday season has doomed many games.).

If you can provide a reference, I'd be interested.

As near as I can tell, the board just hates the game because it's Robotech. The rest of the world had a lot of fun with it, and I don't really see how "Wingless battroid and no GPB" makes the game crap.

If you want to gripe about a game, let's dogpile the GBA Robotech game. THAT ONE deserves it.

GBA made a robotech game? Hm. Okay I'm still stuck on the Miila stage. I beat her --- but the part after her is even HARDER freaking A. But the more I play this game, I really really like it. I'd say my two favorite PS2 games are both imports, and they are -- *drum roll* Berserk, and, Macross. (not because they're the best games ever made - but because they're based on my two favorite anime/manga) To everyone out there with no flip top, get one! JB0, you gotta' play Macross on PS2! It's great!

Since I own battecry and macross DRYL both now, I'm going to make a quick pointer-outter. Robotech is more for fun, and it's designed to be robotech-ish (less serious). Macross focuses a lot more on creating the valk-simulation experience. Aside from completely different gerwalk modes, the games are a tadbit similar. And I like battlecry's graphics. Cartoonish is cool. But I also gotta' say it's cool how DYRL's valks look exactly like the 1/48 yams.

Okay does anyone out there know any cheat codes to unlock all the cool stuff in this game? I unlocked the VF-4, I don't know how, but wow, what a freaking cool extra. I want to know what other extra VFs are on this game.

Oh, and I beat the game on both modes. ;)

GBA made a robotech game?

"Robotech: The Macross Saga"

It's a blatant knockoff of the PS/Saturn DYRL game, without any of the charm of the original.

Missile button shoots a single large bullet straight in front of you(WTF? The freaking FamiCom did better than that), the pre-rendered sprites look BAD, the entire game is pretty sluggish, and the destroid stages were tacked-on and half-assed.

On the upside... you can play as a QRau... but it doesn't suck any less.

And... there's link play... but only on the aforementioned halfassed destroid levels, so it's not really useful...

Ummm....

Errrr...

It comes with a SD VF-1A Max figurine? THERE WE GO! An upside.

Okay does anyone out there know any cheat codes to unlock all the cool stuff in this game? I unlocked the VF-4, I don't know how, but wow, what a freaking cool extra. I want to know what other extra VFs are on this game.

414610[/snapback]

Here's the full list of unlockables.

Secret Valkyries

Here are the methods to unlocking the hidden Vakyries:

Unlockable How to Unlock

VF-1A Hikaru's Paint Clear ARMD-1 (movie) version

VF-1A Kakizaki's Paint Clear Prometheus (TV) version

VF-1J Hikaru's Paint Get 5 S rankings

VF-1J Max's Paint Clear stages 1 - 5 of Prometheus (TV) version with Max's VF-1A with A rankings or above

VF-1J Miria's Paint Clear the "Pine Salad" TV stage with Max's VF-1J

VF-1S Fokker's Paint Clear ALL stages with an S rank

VF-1S Max's Paint Get S Rank in Stage A-05 Movie Mode

JBO- They are lazy and they do suck. Based on the simple fact of no wings in "battloid" mode. They didn't want to take the time to make it work and make the game accurate, so they dropped the idea, and made a crappy looking VF look crappy and odd.

414296[/snapback]

Yes, yes, we all know the wings are missing. Though I barely noticed it in the game.

I can't believe that a minor liberty with the character model makes the entire development studio suck.

414305[/snapback]

There's no good way to implement the GBP. It just doesn't work for most stages in the game. The handful it WILL work in would just leave people whining about "Battlecry sucks because I can only use the GBP in 6 stages" or whatever the actual count winds up being.

Don't believe me? Start playing levels battroid-exclusive, and tally it up.

3 lines of code will leave you with a horribly broken implementation without signifigant changes in several other functions.

As things exist, there's one status bit: Space mission. This is likely the only thing that reported about stage contents outside the game engine(because it's needed for FAST pack authenticism).

You COULD add a second status bit for "GBP-compatible stage", but it's not worth the effort for the minimal stages it's useful in.

Especially since it forces you to fix the existing "FAST pack in atmosphere" logic bug, which probably exists because FAST packs weren't intended to be optional when they coded the frontend. While the FAST pack bug doesn't cause any actual problems, the GBP bug WOULD.

So GBP in story mode results in a major overhaul to the frontend for a fanservice feature that is only USABLE in maybe a dozen levels and actually a valid option in even fewer.

The QRau at least has GERWALK functionality.

I'm not sure where you got the low-budget argument, BTW. I don't see any evidence that it was low-budget, just that it was forced out the door before it was completely finished(Which happens a LOT, especially with games released in November. The holiday season has doomed many games.).

If you can provide a reference, I'd be interested.

As near as I can tell, the board just hates the game because it's Robotech. The rest of the world had a lot of fun with it, and I don't really see how "Wingless battroid and no GPB" makes the game crap.

If you want to gripe about a game, let's dogpile the GBA Robotech game. THAT ONE deserves it.

414412[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about? First off the GBP has missiles, much more than a plain Valkyrie does so it would work on nearly every stage aside from the ones that required speed. Lack of speed could easily fixed by allowing you to change your Valkyrie between missions or having a jettison function for the armor. Both options wouldn't be hard to implement. Also, if you enabled it solely as a bonus then it doesn't even matter whether or not the missions will be catered towards it. Bonuses don't have to follow the rules, that's usually why they are bonuses.

WTF are you talking about? First off the GBP has missiles, much more than a plain Valkyrie does so it would work on nearly every stage aside from the ones that required speed.

The battroid can't fly worth crap in Battlecry. In aerial-mode missions, it's essentially stationary. In terrestrial missions it should be considered ground-based with some jumping capacity.

Anything requiring any signifigant aerial movement fails automatically. And most missions assume some level of aerial capability. That's where the GBP fails.

It also can't lift things like Battlecry GERWALK does, making it incompatible with all fetch&carry missions.

Speed is less of an issue than you make it to be, since the battroid has a "rollerskate" boost. It's still not gonna keep up with the fighter, but it becomes GERWALK-competitive.

Lack of speed could easily fixed by allowing you to change your Valkyrie between missions or having a jettison function for the armor. Both options wouldn't be hard to implement. Also, if you enabled it solely as a bonus then it doesn't even matter whether or not the missions will be catered towards it. Bonuses don't have to follow the rules, that's usually why they are bonuses.

GBP is already jettisonable.

I don not consider it to be a workable option if you are forced to eject it to proceed. Particularly as in some areas you will be forced to eject it almost immediatly.

Bonuses DO have to follow the rules. If a bonus is incapable of clearing the mission due to maneuverability restrictions, it's not much of a bonus. It'd be like beating Super Mario Whatever and being rewarded with... a version of Mario that can't jump.

Like I said... play the game and see how many missions you can actually get through without using GERWALK or fighter mode. THEN tell me the GBP is actually workable in story mode.

If it was genuinely viable, they would've expended the effort to make it so. The thing's already coded, so all the models, textures, and behavior patterns are set. That's the hardest part.

The same frontend is used for both solo and multiplayer mode, so the code to toggle through the GBP is already there.

It was just a matter of adding a "GBP-compatible" flag, fixing the FAST pack bug(or not, since the GBP can be jetissoned), and hacking out cutscenes and over-riding default modes for GBP users(to prevent immediate auto-jettison).

The hacking out and over-riding might have been very easy or very difficult, depending on how they wrote the engine.

I still maintain it would actually work in under a dozen stages, which is why it was never done.

I didn't know you could jettison the GBP. ? I agree with the notion that it would have been nice to have the valk select between stages. Then they could have limited which stages you could use the GBP, yet still let you choose it at least a little bit. They did this with the strike and fast pack on DYRL. BuuuuuuuUT, DYRL doesn't have the GBP option either - but it's okay because there is a mission where you get to wear it already incorporated into the game. DYRL over all though falls short in the aspect that almost every single solitary mission is either in outter space, or far far away from the ground. I liked the ground based missions in robotech. The valks zip around the environments nicely.

I myself, look forward to a macross for PS3. That'll be the day I splurge to buy one of those. (Or if they make Berserk...)

I didn't know you could jettison the GBP. ?

I think it's a double-tap on the transformation control. I don't play multiplayer really, so I only loaded it up once just to see what it looked like.

I agree with the notion that it would have been nice to have the valk select between stages. Then they could have limited which stages you could use the GBP, yet still let you choose it at least a little bit.

As well as let you swap planes and paintjobs out. Was kind of annoying to have to drop back to the menu after unlocking the 1J, then again for FAST packs.

They did this with the strike and fast pack on DYRL. BuuuuuuuUT, DYRL doesn't have the GBP option either - but it's okay because there is a mission where you get to wear it already incorporated into the game.

That was my point, really.

In a Macross game with variable mdoes, you have to construct a level FOR the GBP to stand much of a chance of deploying it successfully.

DYRL over all though falls short in the aspect that almost every single solitary mission is either in outter space, or far far away from the ground. I liked the ground based missions in robotech. The valks zip around the environments nicely.

Blasted flighter jet freaks always ruining my fun!

Then they could have limited which stages you could use the GBP, yet still let you choose it at least a little bit. They did this with the strike and fast pack on DYRL. BuuuuuuuUT, DYRL doesn't have the GBP option either - but it's okay because there is a mission where you get to wear it already incorporated into the game. DYRL over all though falls short in the aspect that almost every single solitary mission is either in outter space, or far far away from the ground. I liked the ground based missions in robotech. The valks zip around the environments nicely.

414806[/snapback]

Actually, DYRL does let you use it.

Just select the 1J in free battle mode and it should be listed And can be used to good effect in anything but a travel stage Nice in the 'defend the Macross' stages.

I found that , aside from the overheat thing, I liked DYRL's battroid mode more. It had much better mobility then Battlecry's when it wasn't on the ground.

A ha! I've never used the 1J in free mode. Thanks for that note. *now have reason to use the 1J* Unfortunately I will never attain Hikaru's TV paint job, or any of the cool paint jobs for that matter.

Yes yes it looks cool but it's outperformed by the 1S in DYRL. Not sure if it can use strike armor... but I shall find out tonight after class! Speaking of which, I'd better get running.

Note: the coolest looking 1/48 I have is the super stealth. My GAWD I love that thing. And it is indeed a 1J.

Yes yes it looks cool but it's outperformed by the 1S in DYRL. Not sure if it can use strike armor... but I shall find out tonight after class! Speaking of which, I'd better get running.

Note: the coolest looking 1/48 I have is the super stealth. My GAWD I love that thing. And it is indeed a 1J.

414999[/snapback]

I thought the coolest was the 1J Millia...

Mmmm, Millia Strike...

I have the fastpack milia... she's a beauty. BUUUUT... I'm tellin' ya', this stealth valk is even cooler. But it in battroid mode with those grey and black nukes on the wings and it's just awesome. (Mine has the skull squadron symbol on the heat shield, and in black on the sides of the boosters) Milia was my fave (aside from the *cough* MGs) until this badazz showed up on my doorstep. Friggin' wish they had THIS guy in DYRL.

414296[/snapback]

Actually, that is the complete and whole reason why it does.

Once you commit to making a game out of a popular franchise, especially one where almost the entire game rests on the franchise's mecha, you are entering a realm where accuracy to the subject matter becomes just as important as game play.

Imagine a Gundam game where the Gundam is lacking the classic V fins on the forehead, or a Patlabor game where Alphonse doesn't have the flashers on the shoulders. These are details that come with the territory.

Secondly, when you look at the studio's response to why the wings aren't there in "battloid" mode, they simply said that they couldn't make it work. Yet every other studio who has ever made a 3D Macross game has been able to make it work. Hell, even M3 has wings in battroid mode.

Laziness from a videogame studio shows, and that makes them suck. After playing RT: Battlecry and RT: Invasion, I became very unhappy with Vicious Cycle's work and decided that I don't like their games. So sue me.