DX VF-25 Renewal Series (Part III)

UN Spacy

I have been given the shaft by HLJ in the past too often to depend on them when it comes to pre-ordering stuff. Many Henkei / United series Transformers slipped through my fingers as HLJ 'were waiting to acquire more stock'. So, while HLJ are fine and dependable with the stuff they have in stock and that are readily available on release, for critical pre-orders they are completely crap.

I have a late pre-order in with PA: and to be honest, I'm not too fussed if it comes through or not. Hell, I even saw AND passed on the 25S they were offering on AE yesterday.

I have been given the shaft by HLJ in the past too often to depend on them when it comes to pre-ordering stuff. Many Henkei / United series Transformers slipped through my fingers as HLJ 'were waiting to acquire more stock'. So, while HLJ are fine and dependable with the stuff they have in stock and that are readily available on release, for critical pre-orders they are completely crap.

I have a late pre-order in with PA: and to be honest, I'm not too fussed if it comes through or not. Hell, I even saw AND passed on the 25S they were offering on AE yesterday.

http://www.anime-export.com/product/22854

Well, given NY's business model, it may be that they paid Bandai an extra sum to be given priority for stock of the VF-25S. They still win the end though because they're probably earning about 20 to 30 dollars markup on each one sold right now. :-) They probably (and correctly) forecast that a valk that used to sell for USD300 to 400 will sell easy at USD 160 to 170. At least for the first couple weeks of production until stocks are more widely available. That's assuming that more stocks are forthcoming. Otherwise, we can expect the prices to slowly creep back up. :-P

I don't think that is the case. NY most likely secures their extra stock by sourcing them from other stores (probably brick and mortar ones) and then resells them. I think someone was able to get a little proof of this because an item they purchased from NY still had a price tag from a different store on it. Because they're not getting them at the same price as when they're getting it directly on Bandai, they would need to charge higher in order to make the same profit. And if these brick and mortar stores are from other places in Japan, then they would have additional logistics costs contributing to the increased price.

NY doesn't markup their prices just because they think an item will be in high demand. In fact, their prices are very competitive, sometimes even lower than other popular stores, during the initial preorder window. It's only after their initial stock gets sold out that there's a chance they may restock at a higher price, depending on where they are getting it. But there have been several instances that they will restock at the same price (or even lower). So if people think they are just greedy, that is obviously wrong since if that was their real intent, they would ALWAYS increase their prices during each restock.

I've always been a supporter of NY since they have never failed to secure any of my preorders/orders with them, even though the item is no longer available at most other sites. I find their markup understandable when taking into consideration the amount of effort that goes into their business model. Besides, their prices aren't exactly hidden when I push the order button. I know full well what price they're asking for and by making an order with them, I am telling them that I am willing to pay that price since it's more convenient and reliable for me.

I've always been a supporter of NY since they have never failed to secure any of my preorders/orders with them, even though the item is no longer available at most other sites. I find their markup understandable when taking into consideration the amount of effort that goes into their business model. Besides, their prices aren't exactly hidden when I push the order button. I know full well what price they're asking for and by making an order with them, I am telling them that I am willing to pay that price since it's more convenient and reliable for me.

That's about how I feel about NY.

But I can't help thinking that past the initial low-price pre-order, NY is articially rising the demand and the online price by buying the pieces alocated/reserved to other e-shops.

Up to now I agreed to pay a significant markup price to secure a Bandai release that I absolutely want. I am thankful that the more absurd this pre-order rage is, the least I still want to buy it.

And...I cancelled my extra HLJ order today. I was waiting a couple of days before making my final decision. Ultimately, I'm disappointed with HLJ, and I will be more careful ordering from them in the future. However, since this was an extra 25S that I was setting aside for another forum member, I'm not really down and out. I'm just frustrated by how HLJ handled the ordeal.

Luckily, my CDJapan order should be here next week.

I do think it's awesome that NY has showed stock for the 25S a number of times after release. And I'm relieved that wm_cheng was able to get one, along with so many other forum members. Ideally, isn't that how every store should be handling this stuff?

Well, I thought my saga was over with the VF-25S when I finally got an order in later in the day when NY gave me an initial "Awaiting Refund" notice on my first order. The next day, after they shipped my 2nd order out already, my initial "Awaiting Refund" order was changed to "Payment accepted". Dang! I went from having stayed up all night and missing out on the original pre-order to now possibly having 2 VF-25S (I usually only collect ONE of each). I've sent them a e-mail about cancelling one of the orders, but it might be too late.

It's so weird to be feeling like I missed out for months, with the hope of a kind sole here (TechnoBlue) offering me one of his HLJ orders... to hanging on pins and needles awaiting for a HLJ payment request... to missing out on one of the first windows after issue to now having possibly 2 VF-25S! What a ride this toy collecting business is. :p

It's so weird to be feeling like I missed out for months, with the hope of a kind sole here (TechnoBlue) offering me one of his HLJ orders... to hanging on pins and needles awaiting for a HLJ payment request... to missing out on one of the first windows after issue to now having possibly 2 VF-25S! What a ride this toy collecting business is. :p

Ha! A strange ride indeed, but you also have a very cool tale to tell. ;)

what is this world coming to??? hehehe...

jeez, i remember those prices for the VF-25S and VF-25G (which still probably won't come down until another release happens).

I know right? hahaha

The cycle will begin, now that VF-25G will rise to astronomical prices. Bandai will announce a reissue, PO madness ensues... well maybe not as bad as Ozma. :p

It's official, hlj gave me the bone but fortunately I'm buying Drad's extra.

Glad you were able to secure one! I know you have been wanting an Ozma renewal.

Well, I thought my saga was over with the VF-25S when I finally got an order in later in the day when NY gave me an initial "Awaiting Refund" notice on my first order. The next day, after they shipped my 2nd order out already, my initial "Awaiting Refund" order was changed to "Payment accepted". Dang! I went from having stayed up all night and missing out on the original pre-order to now possibly having 2 VF-25S (I usually only collect ONE of each). I've sent them a e-mail about cancelling one of the orders, but it might be too late.

WM's epic saga of the VF-25S Renewal. You wanted one, but now you have 2. Now you can display a weathered VF-25S in both fighter and Battroid mode! :)

Having 2 Safe in the box now makes me comfortable enough to display this long term with the clip that holds the legs together. Looks great with EXO's flight crew.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice!!

I think mine should be landing in SF hopefully today. Hope to have mine on Friday, but more than likely Saturday. :D

Guest davidwhangchoi

Very nice!!

I think mine should be landing in SF hopefully today. Hope to have mine on Friday, but more than likely Saturday. :D

can't wait for your pictures

Thanks man. I've been looking at it off and on all day.

yeah, i only got one in and wasn't sure if that was it, so i was just staring at pics like yours. now i'm going to open them since the extras came through.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

mine was just delivered:

Do you have room to stack that 4th on top? I know you wanted to have the stack go to the ceiling. :)

can't wait for your pictures

yeah, i only got one in and wasn't sure if that was it, so i was just staring at pics like yours. now i'm going to open them since the extras came through.

I am hoping they'll be here on friday, I have a long weekend. Taking photos and recovering from food coma. :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Do you have room to stack that 4th on top? I know you wanted to have the stack go to the ceiling. :)

I am hoping they'll be here on friday, I have a long weekend. Taking photos and recovering from food coma. :)

i tried stacking them all to hit the ceiling but they keep tipping.... that was the highest i can get before they topple over. the ozma i got from mandrake is leaning against it vertically to keep the stack from falling.

sorry :unsure:

that's the only thing i can show off: playing castle w/ boxes :p i can't touch those pro shots :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i tried stacking them all to hit the ceiling but they keep tipping.... that was the highest i can get before they topple over. the ozma i got from mandrake is leaning against it vertically to keep the stack from falling.

sorry :unsure:

that's the only thing i can show off: playing castle w/ boxes :p i can't touch those pro shots :)

You should build a pyramid of Valkyrie Boxes! :p We can stare in wonder of the Great Pyramid of Macross.

Thanks, but no pro here. I am just a monkey with a camera. :D

Then you got lucky, I got an email saying it can't be canceled. LOL.

I'm sending them a reply saying that they have with-in the paypal time period to come through

or I'm filing a dispute.

Maybe its because they thought i was scamming, i had to change my credit card a bunch of times because of expiration dates, data breaches and new CC being issued, etc. so they had originally cancelled my order, i then had to go through a bunch of emails proving the CC was indeed mine and then they reinstated the pre-order after all that. Their last email was asking if i wanted to be refunded back to my CC or store credit.

So with Play-Asia, they are charging credit cards even though they don't have any stock and not sure they will be getting stock?

Makes me glad that my cc got declined. I ended up getting my 3 anyway. I just ordered from them as a backup and a WTH since they're preorder window was open for so long. I sent an email to cancel my order.

I over compensated for this release. Since Bandai made us wait so long to reissue it i was determined to buy as many as i could afford. The sad thing is i actually got one during the first release. As it got quickly scarce and prices started rising i got super paranoid about breaking it so i never opened it. I wanted a second one to play with as a fall back.

I over compensated for this release. Since Bandai made us wait so long to reissue it i was determined to buy as many as i could afford. The sad thing is i actually got one during the first release. As it got quickly scarce and prices started rising i got super paranoid about breaking it so i never opened it. I wanted a second one to play with as a fall back.

Holy crap thats my story!!! I never opened my first for the same reason. :lol: I have all the packs and everything for it, instead i chose to armor up alto

It's official, hlj gave me the bone but fortunately I'm buying Drad's extra.

Yeah. Thanks so much for that; it helps me out a lot. I find it funny how Play-Asia has allowed some people to cancel their orders for this yet they wouldn't allow me to cancel mine.

It's not like it's gonna be hard to sell off the cancelled units. Sheesh.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Ok, after HLJ telling me that they are not getting anymore and that they will cancel my order, I got payment requests last night. If you still have your order and still want it, don't cancel it especially if you got your order in early as I did.

oh yeah! that's encouraging news! congrats on getting a payment request.

I don't think that is the case. NY most likely secures their extra stock by sourcing them from other stores (probably brick and mortar ones) and then resells them. I think someone was able to get a little proof of this because an item they purchased from NY still had a price tag from a different store on it. Because they're not getting them at the same price as when they're getting it directly on Bandai, they would need to charge higher in order to make the same profit. And if these brick and mortar stores are from other places in Japan, then they would have additional logistics costs contributing to the increased price.

NY doesn't markup their prices just because they think an item will be in high demand. In fact, their prices are very competitive, sometimes even lower than other popular stores, during the initial preorder window. It's only after their initial stock gets sold out that there's a chance they may restock at a higher price, depending on where they are getting it. But there have been several instances that they will restock at the same price (or even lower). So if people think they are just greedy, that is obviously wrong since if that was their real intent, they would ALWAYS increase their prices during each restock.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know that NY actually was buying stock from other retailers in Japan. Kind of reminds me of when I was buying some jade jewelry from a store in Yangon. The stall I was buying from didn't have enough stock, but told me to wait. They went to another stall and got some of their stock and sold it to me. I guess this is a normal thing in business. :-)

Oh, and please don't misunderstand me. I'm not bashing NY at all. In fact, I get most of my toys from them! :) I used to order regularly from HLJ, but it seems that as far as having stock of the latest releases go, NY has an edge over them nowadays. I thank MW because it was here that I found out about NY.

The others do have a point about NY's prices though. They tend to mark-up very quickly depending on the demand. But that's just the nature of business. No need to get personal about it right? It would be quite hypocritical for a collector like me to accuse others of greed when the very nature of collecting involves the desire for the (never-ending) accumulation of what can be generally classified as material wealth. ^_^

In all fairness NY is a business entity and they need to make money. I feel it is just right to go with the flow of the market. If the demand is high, it naturally drives up the price. Conversely when an item is a shelf warmer, it ends up in the fire sale bin after some time.

We always see buyers bashing retailers when they mark up a popular item by 20-100%. Yet when an item goes on firesale at 40-70% discount, we see most people rejoicing and some grumbling cos they bought earlier at a much higher price. Retailers do lose money as well when they clear slow movers so to me it is absolutely right to make the most out of a popular product to cover the losses of the shelf warmers.

Us as collectors can choose to source elsewhere for better deals or even patiently wait for reissues for the prices to plunge. And in the first place, it is our rush and demand for the item that drove the prices up.

I think play-asia has a policy option wherein they will only charge your CC once item is about to ship out.

Having said that, here's an email I got from PA. Not keeping hopes up:

We are sorry for the delay in shipping out your order.

As of the moment, we are waiting for the stock of your item. Our purchasing

team are now checking this with them. We will get back to you once we have

an update regarding the arrival of the stocks. And we assure you that we

will ship out your order as soon as we get the stocks. We kindly ask for

more of your patience and understanding on this matter.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.