My Boyfriends a Pilot 2012

Tochiro

Yeah, the voucher was only LE version. I would buy it from someone, because i know there will be several that go unused.

And this game would be even shorter then the PSP DYRL levels, if not for the EX versions that become unlocked once you beat the story mode. Atleast they allow you to be other members of the skull squadron.

But seeing those VF-1's in PS3 graphics almost makes up for the shortness. I've got a bunch of SS ranks & about halfway thru the EX missions & still only one trophy.... must be more to this then we know.... :D

You could always just pick up a Japanese PSN card and download the game directly from the PSN...

But is it on the Japanese PSN store? Last I checked, it wasn't there yet.

BTW has anyone redeemed the game yet with their voucher? Or does it go live on PSN only later?

Haven't received my LE set as yet.

So is the VF-4 playable in this game?

Graham

If it is, i haven't unlocked it yet. :(

Once you beat story mode mission, the 'EX' type versions of the levels unlock. And so far i can only play Hikaru, Max & Kazikazi. (No Roy yet). The Valks options are with the Super parts or not, but no tuning options. I'm only about halfway thru those 'ex' missions. These are tough. I've seen Miriya & a Regult playable in the previews but i don't know what it takes to unlock them. Probably going to need a bunch of S ranks on the 'ex' version missions.

I'm still waiting for a walkthrough or atleast a trophy list...

:unsure:

If it is, i haven't unlocked it yet. :(

Once you beat story mode mission, the 'EX' type versions of the levels unlock. And so far i can only play Hikaru, Max & Kazikazi. (No Roy yet). The Valks options are with the Super parts or not, but no tuning options. I'm only about halfway thru those 'ex' missions. These are tough. I've seen Miriya & a Regult playable in the previews but i don't know what it takes to unlock them. Probably going to need a bunch of S ranks on the 'ex' version missions.

I'm still waiting for a walkthrough or atleast a trophy list...

:unsure:

There's Nousjadeul Ger, Quamzin's version of NG, Queadluun Rau, Millia's version, Missile Regult, Max's QR, in that order, I think.

Just about everything should be unlocked by the time you finish the red stages (including enemy stages on the blue & red set). I haven't found any unlockables for clearing the ultimate stages (3rd set), but I haven't had time to finish those yet.

As of current, I have:

VF-1A / VF-1S

Hikaru / Hikaru

Max / Max

Kakizaki / Roy

And both the Super & Strike packs unlocked.

There's also as mentioned above, regular & command Nos-Ger, Regular/Mlia/Max Qaudran Rau's, and a Regult that switches its type depending on what special weapon you have equipped. So far no VF-4 though.

I unlocked the third batch of levels (ultimate mode) the other day. It's not as hard as the Ultimate mode on the PSP games.

Great game so far, but I wish the Destroids had been in there, or at least the Super Ostrich, even though it would be rather useless.

It's also kind of a bummer that you don't actually fight Bodolza at the end, you just blow up his ship from the outside. And I love the level where you're in Macross City and the gravity switches off... But I don't like that the city looks nothing like the city in the actual movie, that really took away a lot of the charm for me.

Edit -- I really doubt the VF-4 is in there, but hey, you never know.

Edited by Renato

I finally took the time to unlock the Zentradi levels. Their mecha seems almost over-powered. For levels that were supposedly a 9, they were rather easy compared to the PSP levels.

But for some reason I don't see Roy's VF-1s locked yet. But i am missing a couple SS ranks.

I really wish they would just release a full game already. I would love to be able to tune these Valks.

I unlocked the third batch of levels (ultimate mode) the other day. It's not as hard as the Ultimate mode on the PSP games.

Great game so far, but I wish the Destroids had been in there, or at least the Super Ostrich, even though it would be rather useless.

It's also kind of a bummer that you don't actually fight Bodolza at the end, you just blow up his ship from the outside. And I love the level where you're in Macross City and the gravity switches off... But I don't like that the city looks nothing like the city in the actual movie, that really took away a lot of the charm for me.

Edit -- I really doubt the VF-4 is in there, but hey, you never know.

Yeah, I'm slightly disappointed they didn't model the Meltrandi gunship, or the Altira ruins either, though that last one might be asking too much.

That IS cool... but do they have anything Macross related at the moment (whole games, not DLC)? That's the only reason I'd do make a Japanese account.

I have no clue. But it works. And to be honest, that PSX DYRL is CRAZY FUN. I never played it back in the 90's & after the teaser that is the MBAP PS3 sampler, to have a full game was ton of fun. What's cool is once you download it you can go back to your previous user & play it AND you can install the game on your PSP which is where it's more suitable anyway.

This is awesome. I made an account. now to figure out where to enter my code...

Got it installed. Awesomeness. Has anyone ever had their Japanes account removed and their downloads deleted? This isn't something I would put past Sony, even though my DYRL blu-ray set is legit.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any FAQs on how to SS rank the first and second set of missions. The Ultimate missions seem to SS rather easily, but the 'easier' missions seem to be harder to SS. I have an S rank on everything and I just can't figure on how to SS some of the levels so I can get my last trophy.

Also... How do you finish the last level on ultimate. I got close only once out of at least 50 tries.

This is probably the hardest part of the game, although getting the last few SS ranks on the "easier" levels might be a challenge too.

I think I used the Hikaru and his VF-1S with the Strike Pack. The goal is to make sure you keep your Strike Pack intact when you reach the end Boss and 6 bars on your special gauge.

For the first wave with Max and Miria, just keep maximum distance in fighter or Gerwalk mode and spam missiles till you take them both out. There should be around 8:00 on the clock.

For the ships, stay in Gerwalk mode and spam missiles and guns, alternating between the two while one reloads. Do anti missile actions whenever locked on.

When you reach the Boss battle there should be 3:00-4:00. Convert to Fighter mode to get as close to Hikaru and unload both specials. He should be close to being finished so spam missiles and guns. After that it should be a walk in the park finishing the 2 ships, but don't get too careless.

Thanks much (on both questions) (also for the pointer on gamefaqs here). There really is limited information on the game state-side. I will give it a shot more tonight. Where is the special gauge though? It is funny, I have played all three of these and just realized that there was a lock on and anti missiles in this game. I'm betting the second game would have been much easier had I known that. I didn't even bother to go for S or SS since I could only just barely finish the last level on both the first or second tier. I didn't even try for ultimate. I only went for this one because it seemed so much easier than the previous games and I still had some grinding trophies to do. Funny how 9 of the 10 are cake, then this one is near impossible. I've gotten better, getting to the end fairly consistently but never with the Strike Pack. I've been using the pack with the cannon, should I just be using the one with boosters?

Now that I know about the Minmay special, it makes me wonder what the other ones are when she is not your assistance. My VF glows green for a second but I don't see anything happening. With Minmay, I notice that everyone slows down for a few seconds like they are confused. What do the others do?

Edited by jimbo913

Anyone with english instructions on the controller layout?

I don't think there is one for this game, but there is an English guide that came out a few years ago for Macross Ace Frontier which is basically the same thing.

http://www.gamefaqs....tier/faqs/54833

There may be a couple of changes to the controls (I think the Triangle button is now "brake" in Fighter) but all of these games -- Ace Frontier, Ultimate Frontier, Triangle Frontier, Trial Frontier, Last Frontier and now My Boyfriend is a Pilot 2012 -- pretty much handle identically. Knock yourself out.

EDIT --

OK, forget that. I found this, the Macross Triangle Frontier guide for PSP:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/614495-macross-triangle-frontier/faqs/61883

This is much more useful because the controls are closer to what they are in the PS3 games. Just refer to that one and you should be OK.

Edited by Renato