What The? Ohhh Wow

evirus

i've always wanted the macross mame game but i cant remember :( how load it into my computer, i'm using Mac OSX 10.4.5. does anyone has the file? please email to me

boong357@yahoo.com.sg

...thanks....

372087[/snapback]

Which file?

http://www.macmame.org/ has the emulator.

http://planetemu.net/ has the ROM images.

372089[/snapback]

i mean...er...the file for the macross game, the installer...

Edited by Toonz

So what exactly is mame? I admit I'm not the most computer saavy guy. Is this some sort of way to play Macross games on a PC? If so, what do I have to do to achieve this?

372095[/snapback]

MAME is a "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator."

An emulator is basically a software recreation of a specific computer. In this case, MAME has several computers in it, all arcade machines. Three of those machines are for playing Macross games.

You need MAME(from mame.net) and the ROM images for the specific game you want to play(from many places, I use planetemu.net)

You extract MAME to your hard drive, and stick the ROM images in MAME's "ROMS" directory. May need to do some other configuration too.

MAME32 is a tad more user-friendly than the command-line versions found at MAME.net. I am, however, morally opposed to it.

You'll have to find it yourself, as the copies I'm finding require a fileplanet subscription. *rolls eyes*

i've always wanted the macross mame game but i cant remember :( how load it into my computer, i'm using Mac OSX 10.4.5. does anyone has the file? please email to me

boong357@yahoo.com.sg

...thanks....

372087[/snapback]

Which file?

http://www.macmame.org/ has the emulator.

http://planetemu.net/ has the ROM images.

372089[/snapback]

i mean...er...the file for the macross game, the installer...

372108[/snapback]

The installer would be ... well, if anything, the emulator. I don't know if MacMAME comes with an installer. If it doesn't, you don't need one.

The game would be the ROM images.

You need BOTH programs to play. You run the emulator, which runs the ROM images.

• 2 weeks later...
OOOOOOOOOLD news. Macross emulation has had sound for quite some time(2 years now, actually).

And it's ALWAYS had sound in teh ROMs. MAME just didn't know how to render it initially.

369966[/snapback]

Which Macross game has sounds? Which version of Mame supports it, BTW? I know Macross II has sound. Either Macross I or Macross+ doesn't, the driver that is; I played them a couple of years ago.

OOOOOOOOOLD news. Macross emulation has had sound for quite some time(2 years now, actually).

And it's ALWAYS had sound in teh ROMs. MAME just didn't know how to render it initially.

369966[/snapback]

Which Macross game has sounds? Which version of Mame supports it, BTW? I know Macross II has sound. Either Macross I or Macross+ doesn't, the driver that is; I played them a couple of years ago.

376941[/snapback]

ALL Macross games have sound. I can't pinpoint exact version numbers, but the most recent one certainly does.

The original DYRL game definitely didn't have sound for some time after it was implemented, and there's still a few bugs to this day. I don't THINK Plus had sound originally either.

I know DYRL's sound emulation was initially implemented about 2 years ago, so a LOT of MAME versions support it to some degree.

I'd recommend getting the most recent version(currently 0.104).

That works. Thanks, buddy. My Mame was 0.78. All three have sounds. Just a note: the sound on Mac+ is barely audible even when my speaker volume is maxed out.

I just had a blast with the SDF Macross. Those glaugs just love to team up on you, don't they? Thank goodness for the continue feature and the free quarters! :p

'Plus is fun, although I wish you could transform on the fly. That multiple lock-on system is pretty cool, although I like 19XX's and Raystorm's better...

You know, I had always meant to play that. I will definitely have to find it now. Was that a sequel or something?

You know, I had always meant to play that.  I will definitely have to find it now.  Was that a sequel or something?

377286[/snapback]

Prequel, actually. There's Rayforce, they Raystorm, then Raycrisis, which takes place before Rayforce and ends with "Operation Rayforce" being launched.

Quick question, where can I find the Macross Plus arcade game to download and how can I play it on my PC?

Please explain in simple terms that a 5 year old would understand. I have no idea about this MAIM stuff.

Graham

377975[/snapback]

Well...

MAME isn't exactly known for being user-friendly.

The simplest way is(assuming you use Windows) download MAME32qa, download macrossp.zip, install MAME32, put macrossp into the ROMS folder in the MAME32 directory, then... well, that's where my knowledge ends, since I don't use MAME32. If it defaults to showing all supported games instead of all available games, things get... messy.

http://planetemu.net has both the emulator and ROM images, but they aren't the easiest site to direct someone around, and they're in french.

On the right side, under the "arcade" header, click MAME. From there, on the left, under "Emulateurs", click Windows, scroll down to "MAME32 v0.104.4", click "Télécharger", and save the file.

Now click back. Under "ROMs" click "MAME (CHD & Samples excluded)". From there click M, then click Macross Plus, then click "Telecharger" and save it. Inconvenient hickup here int hat planetemu.net has a time delay between file downloads. The MAME32 download loads 6 and a half minutes on the wait timer. Assuming you aren't on dialup, you'll wind up waiting for a few minutes before you can download macrossp.zip.

Once you have both files, run mame32_0.104.4_windows.exe and tell it to extract the files.

That'll create a MAME32 folder whereever you told it to extract. Drop Macrossp.zip in teh ROMs folder inside the MAME32 folder.

Now go into the mame32 folder and run mame32.exe

You'll be greeted with a very messy GUI. Click "available" on the left pane, and you shuld see Macross Plus listed in the middle pane. Double-click MacPlus and have fun. Arrow keys move, left ctrl fires(hold fire to start locking on with missiles), left alt is "bombs". 5 adds a "coin" and 1 is start.

As for the controller you can a USB Control pad or a USB game pad adaptor to plug a PS2 pad or what ever pad you like. 

BTW JBO what are the best USB game pads, I have the MS-sidewinder and it ain`t good.  Even I have this USB game pad adaptor and it doesn`t work anymore. 

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-TLNK.html

378246[/snapback]

I'm using a Saitek P880. It's fairly decent.

They use the same d-pad across their entire product line, as far as I know.

Previous pads have been a Gravis Gamepad Pro(pure fecal matter) and a Logitech Action(was poo, but they've redesigned their pads twice since then so my experience isn't valid anymore).

Adaptors are hit and miss. Some companies make really good ones, others make crappy ones. Given I can find a native PC pad that I like better than any console pad anyways... why bother?

Thrustmaster's pads have been highly recommended before, but they don't feel right in my hands.

The reason I`m using a USB game adaptor cuz for the PSOne/PS2 Ascii Fighting Stick.

378254[/snapback]

Oooohhh, nice.

378257[/snapback]

i just use the keyboard, wasd for movement and 8,4,6,2 for the "face buttens" 7913 for the LandR buttens and numpad enter and 0 for the start select butten things

but i havent realy played any of the macross ps1 or 2 games

The reason I`m using a USB game adaptor cuz for the PSOne/PS2 Ascii Fighting Stick.

378254[/snapback]

Oooohhh, nice.

378257[/snapback]

i just use the keyboard, wasd for movement and 8,4,6,2 for the "face buttens" 7913 for the LandR buttens and numpad enter and 0 for the start select butten things

but i havent realy played any of the macross ps1 or 2 games

378266[/snapback]

*shudders*

AWAY FOUL BEAST! AND TAKE YOUR QWERTY WITY YOU!

You'll be greeted with a very messy GUI. Click "available" on the left pane, and you shuld see Macross Plus listed in the middle pane. Double-click MacPlus and have fun. Arrow keys move, left ctrl fires(hold fire to start locking on with missiles), left alt is "bombs". 5 adds a "coin" and 1 is start.

378211[/snapback]

Heh, I was doing OK, up until this part. For some reason when I tried to run MAME, the command prompt window wouldn't let me type anything and kept closing on me automatically!!!!!!!!

Surely somebody must have made some more user friendly software by now.........sigh.

Graham

I (shamefully) downloaded mame32 from romnation. Asides from unpacking a few files and installing the program, I was actually able to just click on the mame32 arcade machine icon which brought up the available/unavailable game menu. From that point it's merely a matter of downloading game roms into the main rom folder and then activating the program...

378211[/snapback]

Heh, I was doing OK, up until this part. For some reason when I tried to run MAME, the command prompt window wouldn't let me type anything and kept closing on me automatically!!!!!!!!

Surely somebody must have made some more user friendly software by now.........sigh.

Graham

378489[/snapback]

That's commandline MAME. MAME32 has an integrated GUI.

Sounds like you have an older version of MAME too. The recent ones throw up a dialog box if you run it without commandline arguments.

As for the controller you can a USB Control pad or a USB game pad adaptor to plug a PS2 pad or what ever pad you like. 

BTW JBO what are the best USB game pads, I have the MS-sidewinder and it ain`t good.  Even I have this USB game pad adaptor and it doesn`t work anymore. 

378246[/snapback]

Previous pads have been a Gravis Gamepad Pro(pure fecal matter) and a Logitech Action(was poo, but they've redesigned their pads twice since then so my experience isn't valid anymore).

Adaptors are hit and miss. Some companies make really good ones, others make crappy ones. Given I can find a native PC pad that I like better than any console pad anyways... why bother?

Thrustmaster's pads have been highly recommended before, but they don't feel right in my hands.

378249[/snapback]

I like the logitech dual action for mame. The d-pad bit bugs me at times (I think the best d-pad is from nintendo products) but its easy to get used to it.

378246[/snapback]

378249[/snapback]

I like the logitech dual action for mame. The d-pad bit bugs me at times (I think the best d-pad is from nintendo products) but its easy to get used to it.

378732[/snapback]

Nintendo's recent offerings are pretty bad. The 'Cube and GBA both have horrible d-pads. The DS and SP are better, but not exactly great.

I haven't tried the DSLite/GBMicro pad.

I had a Logitech, but it was about 2 designs back, so it's not relevant to a new purchase. One of Logitech's finer points, they fix their problems.

But if you buy used, avoid the angular controllers with the clear blue d-pads.

Yay, just got the Mac Plus arcade game to work.

I'd downloaded the wrong version of MAME yesterday.

It was a case of not RTFM (or in this case JBO's instructions) carefully enough.

And wow, is it difficult to play using the keyboard arrow keys. Anyway to get it to work with the mouse?

Graham

378246[/snapback]

378249[/snapback]

378732[/snapback]

Nintendo's recent offerings are pretty bad. The 'Cube and GBA both have horrible d-pads. The DS and SP are better, but not exactly great.

I haven't tried the DSLite/GBMicro pad.

I had a Logitech, but it was about 2 designs back, so it's not relevant to a new purchase. One of Logitech's finer points, they fix their problems.

But if you buy used, avoid the angular controllers with the clear blue d-pads.

378741[/snapback]

Yep thats why I like there business platform on the hardware side the software could be better, has problems recording certain keypresses. You realy been away from them if you used the clear gamepads they had.

If i had to list which nintendo ones I like it solely on the d-pad would be 1. original nes brick gamepad 2. the nes advance one (the sliding red thing is suprising easy to use) 3. original gb 4. gbasp

Back on the macross mame rom.

I don't think it has that option to use the mouse. but if you have to check I think tab or the tile "`" key during gameplay will bring up the special options for the single game itself.

Yay, just got the Mac Plus arcade game to work.

I'd downloaded the wrong version of MAME yesterday.

It was a case of not RTFM (or in this case JBO's instructions) carefully enough.

And wow, is it difficult to play using the keyboard arrow keys. Anyway to get it to work with the mouse?

Graham

378756[/snapback]

Not that I know of, and I'm betting it would actually be worse with the mouse.

Yep thats why I like there business platform on the hardware side the software could be better, has problems recording certain keypresses.  You realy been away from them if you used the clear gamepads they had.

I found a pad I liked and stuck with it.

If i had to list which nintendo ones I like it solely on the d-pad would be 1. original nes brick gamepad 2. the nes advance one (the sliding red thing is suprising easy to use) 3. original gb 4. gbasp

Interesting list. I actually haven't put a lot of time in on an SP, so my impressions may change if I ever muck with it much.

Surprised you like the Max, really. Never used one, but most people absolutely loathe it.

Back on the macross mame rom.

I don't think it has that option to use the mouse. but if you have to check I think tab or the tile "`" key during gameplay will bring up the special options for the single game itself.

378768[/snapback]

It's tab.

Excellent I went through like ten game pads for the pc over the years before I decided with the one Im with now.

Surprised you like the Max, really. Never used one, but most people absolutely loathe it.

I still have it collecting dust in my closet of ancient things. While its really small for my hands now but when I was realy young it was the perfect size. If you never used one, I never take anyones word who uses most on any product. Too easy to that like for example most people think ps2 sucks or most people say macs are less powerfull than pcs in graphics applications, ect...

Excellent I went through like ten game pads for the pc over the years before I decided with the one Im with now.

Guess I'm lucky to only go through 4. :)

Gravis Gamepad Pro(complete and umitigated crap), Microsoft Sidewinder, Logitech Action, and my P880.

I still have it collecting dust in my closet of ancient things. While its really small for my hands now but when I was realy young it was the perfect size. If you never used one, I never take anyones word who uses most on any product. Too easy to that like for example most people think ps2 sucks or most people say macs are less powerfull than pcs in graphics applications, ect...

378866[/snapback]

*nods*

I have my own share of things I like that wind up to the side of mainstream.

Was just surprsied to see Max pop up on the list.