The Best Macross Game?

Desram

I just think that Battecry didn't have much to it. Almost all the levels were really easy and then there were maybe 3 or 4 which were a giant pain and sucked up a lot of time. What I really want to see someday is a -quality- sim-style game with a good story. Maybe even realistic-ish flight physics and whatnot. Maybe even a cockpit view.

I just think that Battecry didn't have much to it. Almost all the levels were really easy and then there were maybe 3 or 4 which were a giant pain and sucked up a lot of time.

True.

I used the one-hit kill code a lot in the later defensive levels.

here's my list

Best Macross Games

#1 - Macross DYRL Arcade Game (Arcade)

#2 - Macross DYRL (Saturn)

#3 - Macross (PS2)

Honorable Mentions

Macross 2036 (PCE)

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (SFAM)

Worst Macross Games

#1 Macross Digital Mission VFX (PSX)

#2 Macross Plus Game Edition (PSX)

#3 Macross VFX2 (PSX)

:huh:

I have the Macross DYRL Arcade game PCB, after about 15 minutes of gameplay the novelty wears off. Stuck Raiden Fighters Jet 2 in the cab instead... The Saturn DYRL game is only good for the cut screens. The actual game itself is very weak.

As far as a total package of a game my picks are:

1. SFC Scrambled Valkyrie (good for a game in it's own right, macross or not)

2. PS2 Macross

3. PCE-CD Macross 2036

4. (maybe) PC Macross VO

Worst game has to be the first VFX game, closely followed by M3.

Graham

Ah the first VFX, with all the realistic combat of flying 10 minutes through an oversized map track down tiny targets....

How`s Macross 2036 (PCE) is it any good cuz I never played it but they say it`s OK. BTW I still like Macross DYRL (FC) even if it`s old, play it from time to time.

2036 is just a fun game. Makes minimal use of transformation, sadly(locked in fighter or GERWALK mode until boss time, when you go to battroid).

And I thought the FamiCom game was based on the TV series. Not that it matters.

It definitely has to be PS2's Macross game. Macross VFX2 is right behind it seems, as the ability to use different valks is just cool. However, nobody really discussed Macross Plus for PSone. That game was so-so. It's the only game with a vs. mode, so that's its uniqueness. What do you all think of that one?

I havent played many Macross games, but Battlecry is probably the one I was most satisfied with (Outside of a too hard difficulty level anyhow..), and the 2 different SHMUPs based on DYRL (Top down arcade and side scrolling 32 bit system titles) coming in 2nd place with a tie.

I guess the GBA RT Macross game would be 4th, and Macross M3 gets a grudging 5th.

Macross 2 arcade was kinda dumb with its scoring/victory condition system, Macross Plus shooter was a bullet hell SHMUP which I despise, Scrambled Valkyrie was just BLEH, and the old Famicom Macross game was only marginally better than some of LJN's 8 bit Nintendo abortions..

Never played the PC Engine Macross games though, nor either VFX game.

I havent played many Macross games, but Battlecry is probably the one I was most satisfied with (Outside of a too hard difficulty level anyhow..)

It is my favorite "Macross" game, such as it is. I only have an XBox and only have played VF-X2 on a PS emulator. As much as people dump on it, I had some fun with it. The old Macross arcade games are a blast though...

I thought this would be relevant. I just played my Macross Plus game for PSone last night, and after playing it again, realized the fun in it. I played against my cousin, a few friends, and we made a drinking game out of it. K, so, this puts the fun in Macross Plus quite up there.

Since I didn't include Battlecry in the list of Macross games, but is pretty darn close, I thought I'd put my opinion about that game. As such, I actually had a very good time with that game. There were some quick run through missions, but the plot was ok. As far as playability, that was about as good as possible for a 3rd person shooter.

Anyways, wow, such a turnout for responses on this. :D

I havent played many Macross games, but Battlecry is probably the one I was most satisfied with (Outside of a too hard difficulty level anyhow..), and the 2 different SHMUPs based on DYRL (Top down arcade and side scrolling 32 bit system titles) coming in 2nd place with a tie.

I guess the GBA RT Macross game would be 4th, and Macross M3 gets a grudging 5th.

Macross 2 arcade was kinda dumb with its scoring/victory condition system, Macross Plus shooter was a bullet hell SHMUP which I despise, Scrambled Valkyrie was just BLEH, and the old Famicom Macross game was only marginally better than some of LJN's 8 bit Nintendo abortions..

*winces*

GBA Robotech ranks ABOVE something? That makes me sad.

Ranking it above Scrambled Valkyrie and FamiCom Macross though?

Are you SURE you aren't a Robotech.com troll? </joke>

See, Battlecry seems like it was a decent game... until you play the PS2 Macross. Both games have you flying VF-1 variants against Zentraedi mecha. Both are set during or just after Space War One (some levels, like the one that took place during Bursting Point, actually show up in both games). Both give you VF-1 variants and paints in a vain attempt to make you think you have more choices than the VF-1. But the PS2 Macross game is better in every concievable way.

That said, I still think that VF-X2 is still the best. I never bothered with the VF-1, since you could fly the VF-11 from the outset, and the VB-6 was kind of useless. But I loved flying the VF-17, VF-19, and VF-22. And I definately loved that they gave you choices.

But the PS2 Macross game is better in every concievable way.

I'd disagree with you on that.

I think Battlecry did a much better job of capturing the feeling of the series it was trying to reproduce, the colors, style and sound of the game felt much closer to Robotech than the PS2 Macross game felt to the original Macross series.

I ultimately had more fun playing Battlecry than I did with the PS2 Macross game, despite the fact that Battlecry had it's fair share of problems (too many protection missions, low flight ceiling, unoriginal story).

*winces*

I just didn't like Scrambled Valk or NES Macross at all.

If it wasn't for that effing scoring setup in Macross 2 it would have been rated higher just for the music. The show's soundtrack just works so well in a SHMUP for some reason.

I kinda liked GBA Robotech for the same reasons. The music just made it peppy and more fun than it probably would have been otherwise. Plus unlike some Macross SHMUPS you can actually beat the damn thing. Its hard, but not impossible. Too many shooters just go straight for the superhard these days. Its why the SHMUP has all but joined the graphic adventure as a dead videogame genre.

And im not saying Battlecry is even on my mecha top 10 game list. But the shoddy videogame treatment Macross has gotten makes a decent game come out better than it really is.

(If I had to make a top 10 mecha list it would probably look like this if I may slightly tangent it here for explanatory purposes: 1: Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries 2: Mechwarrior 4 3: Gundam Zeonic Front 4: Zone of the Enders Fist of Mars 5: Gundam Battle Assault 2 6: Mech Commander 2 7: Front Mission 4 8: Front Mission 3 9: Mech Commander Gold 10: Gun Griffon Honorable mentions to Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, PS2 Transformers Armada, and Super Robot Wars 3)

Thanks to the wonders of emulation I have played a decent percentage of the Macross videogames, and most of them wouldn't even be worth a second look if it wasn't for the liscense. But when a more popular lisense like Gundam has tons of mediocre and crappy games I guess Macross can't expect many masterworks...

Edited by Bloodcat

Desram Posted on Mar 9 2005, 08:38 PM

What's involved in getting a machine set up to play the ps2 macross? I haven't been interested in this for like 3 years. Last I heard, modding a ps2 was risky.

I modded my PS2 by buying the fliptop system. I didn't want to do the chip swap cause that's the risky way. The flip top will allow you to easily put your PS2 back to stock if you need it repaired. It uses boot disk, so that is a hassle, but so minor, it's not a problem. I have problems though, playing my PSone imports on it, but in that case, I have an original PSone with the serial port in the back that has a game genie box plugged for the copies and imports. You may be able to find one of those for about $50 on ebay. But for the PS2 imports and such, I'd suggest the fliptop for modding. It's good too, if you play online with the ps2 and the game uses the DNAS scan data on your box. People with chip swaps can't play many online PS2 games because it detects the modded chip.

WHEW!!! Hope that helps. :D

A legal method, or so I hear, is to slap in a hard drive and use HDloader.

Edited by Akilae

See, Battlecry seems like it was a decent game... until you play the PS2 Macross. Both games have you flying VF-1 variants against Zentraedi mecha. Both are set during or just after Space War One (some levels, like the one that took place during Bursting Point, actually show up in both games). Both give you VF-1 variants and paints in a vain attempt to make you think you have more choices than the VF-1. But the PS2 Macross game is better in every concievable way.

I'm not judging Battlecry just against Macross games. I'm probably unique here in that I'm considering them as games first before I ever look at usage of the license.

I do admit, however, that I haven't played the PS2 Macross game.

*winces*

I just didn't like Scrambled Valk or NES Macross at all.

Fair enough. I consider them 2 of the most enjoyable, though.

And I know non-Macross fans that loved Scrambled Valkyrie.

The FamiCom one goes well with my current preferences for fast, hostile games with minimal plot and simple controls(alas, the NES is a tad short on buttons for decent transformation control, and the battroid mode flips around when you move backwards, which just annoys me. So I stay in GERWALK).

When I want a bit of depth in my gaming, I'll grab something more modern, though. It's pretty light on depth.

I kinda liked GBA Robotech for the same reasons.  The music just made it peppy and more fun than it probably would have been otherwise.  Plus unlike some Macross SHMUPS you can actually beat the damn thing.  Its hard, but not impossible.

I thought it was excessively easy and klunky on top of that, personally.

I beat it first try, and got bored goofing around rather fast because it never challenged me very much and the controls just weren't sharp enough for random play.

It was like they tried to bootleg PS/Saturn DYRL and missed all the good points.

Sold the game about a week after I bought it, and never felt I got my 10$ out of it.

Too many shooters just go straight for the superhard these days.  Its why the SHMUP has all but joined the graphic adventure as a dead videogame genre.

These days? You ever played Defender?

The scrolling shooter is mostly dead in America because the average american gamer is demanding more and more 3D games.

In Japan the genre is still quite healthy, as I understand things.

And im not saying Battlecry is even on my mecha top 10 game list.  But the shoddy videogame treatment Macross has gotten makes a decent game come out better than it really is.

I tend not to rank games by theme.

I'd be hard-pressed to generate a list of favorite mech games without a lot of time running through refreshing my memory.

Battlecry wouldn't make my favorite games list, but it IS a game I had a lot of fun with. I just wish you could go back and use FAST packs/GBP armor in any level after beating the game.

(If I had to make a top 10 mecha list it would probably look like this if I may slightly tangent it here for explanatory purposes:  1: Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries 2: Mechwarrior 4 3: Gundam Zeonic Front  4: Zone of the Enders Fist of Mars  5: Gundam Battle Assault 2  6: Mech Commander 2  7: Front Mission 4  8: Front Mission 3  9: Mech Commander Gold  10:  Gun Griffon  Honorable mentions to Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, PS2 Transformers Armada, and Super Robot Wars 3)

Ah, Super Robot Wars.

Wish Gideon had cracked SRW4, honestly. The series plays a lot better after 3, aside from 4 being a lot prettier.

I've pounded my way through large chunks several of them more or less blind, because they're just plain fun.

The Front Mission series I'm on the fence about. I tend to spend more time in intermission sequences than fighting, which turns me off the games. And then I come back later, pick 'em up, and wonder why I put 'em down.

Aside from SRW games, I have to give the nod to Virtual On and Robot Alchemic Drive(and I am aware I'm in the minority with RAD).

Oooh, and Metal Storm, even though I think that's actually powered armor.

Thanks to the wonders of emulation I have played a decent percentage of the Macross videogames, and most of them wouldn't even be worth a second look if it wasn't for the liscense.  But when a more popular lisense like Gundam has tons of mediocre and crappy games I guess Macross can't expect many masterworks...

*shrugs*

I think most of the Macross games are fairly decent, actually. I realize it's just a matter of opinion, but for their genres, they tend to play rather well IMO.

I haven't played the 2 SRPG PCEngine games, because at the time the idea of hammering through a japanese strategy game didn't sound very fun. Now I'm wishing I'd grabbed them along with 2036.

I think Battlecry did a much better job of capturing the feeling of the series it was trying to reproduce, the colors, style and sound of the game felt much closer to Robotech than the PS2 Macross game felt to the original Macross series.

I tried to give Battlecry a chance but just could never get into it. Too many things annoyed me about the game.

One of the worst things had to be the sound effects. Your VF-1 sounds like it is powered by a lawn mower engine, rather than thermonuclear jet engines. The gunpod sound is also just as weak sounding and completely unfaithful to the TV series sound.

Also I didn't like the music and the horrible voice acting also put me off, especially the voice of the main character Jack Archer or whatever his name was, whom I found increadibly annoying.

The Valks (sorry, Very-teks as it's an RTgame) looked pretty bad as well. In battroid mode the wings were missing and in fighter mode I seem to recall the nose was too stubby and rounded. Also in fighter mode, it looked as if the feet were always open.

I ssem to recall there were quite a lot of limitations as to what moves you could do in fighter mode as well. I forget exactly, but I don't think you could fly loops. Maybe you couldn't roll either (I forget).

Graham

I tried to give Battlecry a chance but just could never get into it. Too many things annoyed me about the game.

One of the worst things had to be the sound effects. Your VF-1 sounds like it is powered by a lawn mower engine, rather than thermonuclear jet engines. The gunpod sound is also just as weak sounding and completely unfaithful to the TV series sound.

Also I didn't like the music and the horrible voice acting also put me off, especially the voice of the main character Jack Archer or whatever his name was, whom I found increadibly annoying.

The Valks (sorry, Very-teks as it's an RTgame) looked pretty bad as well. In battroid mode the wings were missing and in fighter mode I seem to recall the nose was too stubby and rounded. Also in fighter mode, it looked as if the feet were always open.

I ssem to recall there were quite a lot of limitations as to what moves you could do in fighter mode as well. I forget exactly, but I don't think you could fly loops. Maybe you couldn't roll either (I forget).

Graham

I didn't like fighter mode anyways. It tended to mean a wide open battlefield with lots of maneuvering and not so much frantic firefight action.

Or else it meant that I was protecting a recon plane. Dang recon planes, they should carry their own weapons and stay out of my way.

But...

My approach to reviewing a game is such that I waive license accuracy if it's fun.

Honestly, the battroid wings are a long-standing problem. As I understand things, they started with a more accurate battroid design, but had major problems with the walking animation. Legs tended to pass through the wings, and they couldn't get a natural animation without shortening them.

*looks at screenshots*

Huh. I'd've SWORE they shortened them instead of deleting them altogether. Shows how much attention I was paying...

The music meshed well with the Raw-boot-eck stuff(pretty sure several tunes were ripped straight out of our least favorite hackjob). Not that that's a particularly good thing, but ...

I THINK that's where they yanked the gunfire sound from too, though I'm not sure.

And you could do loops in fighter mode. Boost and pull up.

You could also press a "strafe" button to fly on edge, then boost, and you'd roll.

But compared to a real plane, you couldn't do jack squat. It was set up very game-ish.

I can see where someone would want more simulation-style control.

Me, I just wanted to ignore the fighter mode. I had the most fun running through cities as a battroid.

And trying to shoot Minmay, who was tragically bullet-proof so I settled for dropping a stadium on her head.

What?

Honestly, Battecry reminded me of the N64 Star Wars Rogue Squadren game with VFX-1 style weapons (a simple burst of missiles instead of true lock on). Fighter control was weak, Gerwalk control was clunky, and the sniper control in Battroid....what?

Short ceilings, some stupidass objective limitations (find destroid pilot before he gets his stupid ass killed.....that's all destroids do!), etc. Hell, I'd even be inclined to say it reminded me of a PC game (which admittedly, I'm not terribly big on). Many complaints about VFX-2 seemed to be regarding the sttatic backgrounds. And while the static backgrounds weren't the best, VFX-2 gave you a realistic feelings of control & manueverability. Battlecry too had static backgrounds, and while they did look better, they lacked that sense of freedom in control.

PS2 Macross borrowed all my favorite elements of VFX-2 (minus the Valkyrie selection), plus a lot of control enhancements. When you get into a nice big fray, you can jump between modes, targetting methods, those sweet Macross esque missile dodging animations (ala DSS from MP:GE), etc. If it had the Valkyrie selection of VFX-2, it would be the uncontested winner in the Macross game franchise.

yeah a remake of VF-X-2 for PS2 with the Sega AM2 control style seems best.

Add the VF-5000 and VAB-2 into it and it will kick major ass. They can even recycle the cutscenes and music and cockpit views from VF-X.

One thing i found chumbersome about VF-X-2 is the usage of defensive systems(the chaff and flare/shield) which needed to be selected first. I wish there were extra buttons to use them with switching.

Also gerwalk movement is really silly. I found myself hitting the L1 R1 buttons frantically. This is very tiresome in missions like 'singing in the rain'(using VB-6).

Finally VF-X-2 needed a true radar/tactical display that was probably in the US release.

Honestly, Battecry reminded me of the N64 Star Wars Rogue Squadren game with VFX-1 style weapons (a simple burst of missiles instead of true lock on). Fighter control was weak, Gerwalk control was clunky, and the sniper control in Battroid....what?

GERWALK worked okay for me. I just ignored the throttle and boosted everywhere I needed to go.

I've never figured out why sniper mode has a charge cannon. But it's pretty darn fun sometimes, if you can park yourself in a concealed corner and blow something away from absolute safety.

Though there were some clipping issues on that.

I had perfectly clear shots that were blocked because the game decided I was shooting a wall. Little gunshot explosions were showing up in midair right next to walls, or right above them, or whatever.

Short ceilings,

My one really big gripe with the game. I understand why they did it(it let them restrict your movements in the ground levels so you couldn't just fly over the buildings/mountains/whatever and skip the hordes of zentradi between you and the goal), but I don't like it.

some stupidass objective limitations (find destroid pilot before he gets his stupid ass killed.....that's all destroids do!), etc.

Wouldn't have been that bad if they'd told you where he was beforehand.

That level as a whole dragged quite a bit. It was like they took 3 seperate levels and glued them all together just because they took place in the same map.

Hell, I'd even be inclined to say it reminded me of a PC game (which admittedly, I'm not terribly big on).

It reminded me of... StarFox. With Valkyries.

PC games in my experience tend to be a lot more friendly towards attempts at non-linearity than Battlecry was.

Many complaints about VFX-2 seemed to be regarding the sttatic backgrounds. And while the static backgrounds weren't the best, VFX-2 gave you a realistic feelings of control & manueverability.

I didn't really like how VFX2 controlled.

Realism is not something I look for in any game with jets.

VFX2 also felt too fighter-centric for my tastes.

I may change my opinion next time I play it, though(I'm sure I will agian, just a matter of when).

I just don't see the need for the sniper shots, and hell, if you can't fly over the enemy & rain down fire from them in a Valkyrie, then why even bother flying one. They should have just stuck you in a destroid in those stages.

Too many freaking protect and defend missions. God I hate those things.

Never finished the game, so I didn't get to see the ending, but I liked the missle trail effect used in the game. I agree that Battroid sniping is completely useless.

Whafart kind of parent would name their daughter Izzy?

What I would like to see would be a new Macross game from Sega-AM2 set in the 2050s to allow a wide choice of VFs. Not a remake of VF-X2, but perhaps VF-X3, continuing the adventures of Aegis Focker.

Either that or a combined Macross Plus and Macross Zero game, as neither anime is really long enough by itself to provide enough stages for a decent length game.

And of course for extra reply value a Macross game really needs a mission generator, that allows you to choose terrain and input the number, type and location of enemy units, as well as perhaps choosing different misson objectives, i.e. destroy a bridge, rescue a hostage etc. This is my number one requirement for a new game. If the old Sega Mega Drive F22 Interceptor cartridge game (great game BTW) could have a mission generator back in the early 90s, it should sure as hell be possible to add one now.

Graham

Hell, most of the old 8 bit Microprose combat sim games had mission builder options in em.

Pick a theater of operations, a level of conflict, control setup, and difficulty, and it would make you a mission on the fly.

Then you would go out and shoot commies. (Hey, it was the 80s!)

I just don't see the need for the sniper shots, and hell, if you can't fly over the enemy & rain down fire from them in a Valkyrie, then why even bother flying one. They should have just stuck you in a destroid in those stages.

I usually compromised and used GERWALK. Faster than a battroid, and has missiles.

I HAVE been known to fly a fighter through the city streets on occasion, but I have too much trouble judging my turns to do it regularly(not sure some of them CAN be made in fighter mode).

And I actually wouldn't have minded some time in a destroid.

But like I said, while I understand the reason for the limited flight ceiling, I don't like it. At all.

Sniper shots were fun sometimes. If you approach the areas right, you can hit them but they can't even see, much less shoot, you. Nice way to even the odds a little before charging into an ambush.

But yah. Usually pointless.

And for the most part, I found the fighter's flares somewhat useless too. With few exceptions, I found it easier and more effective to drop to battroid and shoot the missiles down with the secondary fire button.