They almost certainly would have started Andromeda after yamato launched - the facilities that built Yamato would be empty after that, since in this show the Yamato was not just a patched up WWII vessel but a new ship. Just like Yamato they could insert the core after the ship was built. Why? people with something to do are much easier to keep under control than those with nothing to do.

Far more interesting is not just the Andromeda herself, the Earth has a whole fleet of ships less than a year after Yamato departs the second time. Though in this version it appears the Gamilons are helping out.

They almost certainly would have started Andromeda after yamato launched - the facilities that built Yamato would be empty after that, since in this show the Yamato was not just a patched up WWII vessel but a new ship. Just like Yamato they could insert the core after the ship was built.

Firstly, the Yamato construction area was only as large as it needed to be - large enough to hold Yamato, and it was far from ideal conditions to build a starship in that instance. Andromeda would not fit in there. Not to mention that area would have been completely destroyed (and exposed to the radioactive surface) when Yamato launched. It was a temporary facility, nothing more. They're not building any more ships there, let alone one that eclipses Yamato in size. The Yamato construction site is compromised and no longer safe to use - both in terms of its exposure to the elements, and of knowledge to the Garmillan military (which the Earth command doesn't know won't send more ships there from outside the system - they only know that Yamato has cleared out the Garmillans stationed in the system).

Secondly, it's reasonable to assume that the bulk of the engineers and technicians that designed and worked on Yamato would have served aboard her to keep her operational. The amount of skilled manpower would have been significantly reduced.

Thirdly, exactly what are they going to build it with? They're not going to have a ready supply of materials to start building more ships, and they won't be able to mine more. Plus there's an energy shortage worldwide. They're not going to be able to spare any more energy to build a massive starship that may never fly. The mindset of the Earth Government and the UNCF at the moment isn't rearmament, it's survival. Keep humanity alive as long as you can so Yamato can get back to save it.

Lastly, they wouldn't have known about Yamato obtaining a second core until after Yamato returned to Earth. Unless the plan was to decommission Yamato (a ship that was the most powerful Earth had at the time and would have cost untold amounts of money to construct) and put its core in Andromeda.

Why? people with something to do are much easier to keep under control than those with nothing to do.

They weren't succeeding with that very well, were they? In the final scene of Ark of the Stars, Saito complains to Hijikata that he wasn't meant to be training his weapon on humans, suggesting that he's been spending a lot of time quelling riots. Riots which were already going on worldwide when Yamato left (even in the Asian region - we see reports of riots occurring in multiple regions on the news broadcast on the TV in Kodai's quarters just before he heads off to board Yamato). I don't think too many of these rioting people would have the inclination or the skills necessary to become involved in such a project.

Far more interesting is not just the Andromeda herself, the Earth has a whole fleet of ships less than a year after Yamato departs the second time. Though in this version it appears the Gamilons are helping out.

What "whole fleet"? So far we're only aware of three ships existing: Yamato, Andromeda, and Yunagi (which at best guess is a renamed and possibly refit Kirishima going by the visual cues of Kodai and Nanbu in the latest teaser trailer). While it's possible or even likely there will be more ships, there has been nothing to indicate that Earth has any other operational ships yet, or even that this is the path they're going down. Remember, this isn't likely to be a verbatim remake of either Saraba or Yamato 2, and we won't know if there's going to be an Earth fleet until they either announce the ship designs or we actually see it happen in-story.

It's an anime. They can do whatever they want from having no ships except Yamato, to having a fleet two years later or having the Andromeda being built while Yamato was underway the first time...

I'm more interested in knowing whether the old Bandai Andromeda is close enough to scale to the newer /1000 ships. Considering that I lengthened the Nike I think they might fit quite nicely. Though it is a bit wide and deep...

The smaller ships work good too, but the old Borodino model looks way undersized, more a cruiser size itself.

What "whole fleet"? So far we're only aware of three ships existing: Yamato, Andromeda, and Yunagi (which at best guess is a renamed and possibly refit Kirishima going by the visual cues of Kodai and Nanbu in the latest teaser trailer). While it's possible or even likely there will be more ships, there has been nothing to indicate that Earth has any other operational ships yet, or even that this is the path they're going down. Remember, this isn't likely to be a verbatim remake of either Saraba or Yamato 2, and we won't know if there's going to be an Earth fleet until they either announce the ship designs or we actually see it happen in-story.

That fleet that gets annihilated by the Comet Empire.

The rest of it, not worth arguing over.

Looks like the wings are just swaped but the vertical stabs may be foldable. I wonder how big this is. I like that it looks like it comes with the catapult too.

Edit: After looking again, I'm slightly disappointed as it looks like everything is accomplished with parts swaping, I thought at least the nose probe was foldable. :(

Still looks cool.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Okay. I know I've asked this before, but perhaps the answer's changed since then. Where can I watch these, and since this franchise has been going on so long, where do I start?

Best to start with Yamato 2199. It is a superior retelling of the original show. Ebay is your best bet here in the US. I don't think the show is legally streaming anywhere.

The original show is available on DVD and perhaps streaming on a site or two. Star Blazers is a decent version but deaths and a couple of other items have been cut and names changed. If you search for it you can find it on youtube, not sure if the entire show is up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So they didn't change the Andromeda from the original series, right?

Anyone remember what scale is the GX 64?  

Edited by myk