So... A little Macross in Star Citizen anyone?

Lestat

I don't know how many of you may be following the Star Citizen development, but one of the awesome features of this soon to be outstanding game enterprise is the ability to mod on private servers. The game itself is a spiritual successor to the Wing Commander and Privateer franchises, but it does real physics simulations of space fighters (including complete, modelled, real-time vernier thruster systems!).

This would enable a team of modders to recreate variable fighters (which are best detailed) on a per component level, and Macross is one of the few source materials where there is plenty of detail in the designs.

I am currently modelling a picket ship of my own design (shameless plug: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/144856/aesir-class-multi-role-deep-space-vessel-chassis-wip), which is a rather ambitious and perhaps foolhardy thing to attempt alone, but the process (and obvious inspiration of Macross) has me nostalgic for the good old HW mod days, and whilst the Macross itself is probably too big to build, and the variable fighters perhaps a little too hard to make variable, I can easily see VF-1's with FAST packs duking it out in multiplayer games.

More of the game here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Has anyone considered this already/dreamed about it?

Oh, hell yes! Not only am I and a bunch of my friends following Star Citizen with enthusiastic interest (several of us have already purchased packages), but I've had several dreams about Macross mods for this game. The best has been a YF-19 hangar scene mod for the game that "somewhat" mimics the infamous hand-plane sequence in Macross Plus. I figured it would be awesome if you entered your own hangar for your own ship only to see a fellow in a blue and grey flight suit in the adjoining "empty" hangar walking about waving his hand around in the air, a tune featuring southern guitar playing faintly on some audio system in the background. Then as you watch, the sound of a large lift rings out and the YF-19 Fighter slowly rises into the hangar from below. As the "unknown" pilot adorns his flight helmet prior to entering the cockpit of his "fighter", the bay doors between your hangar and his begin to close. Just before closing the "pilot" takes note of you and flicks a thumbs up :)

Ah, if only...:)

Maybe one day. But you would need to find someone that is in YF-19 to that degree of fidelity. :)

Wonder if we can get a hold of some Tenjin models? lol

Hi Chthonic, a pleasure, as usual my old friend.

I have no serious plans for this, especially not for a few years, but I would like to see it happen. Since this game uses much higher polygon counts, maybe the community itself will be more into helping out.

Edited by Lestat

I have an Aurora :D

The game is very ambitious, I hope it can be Moded with total freedom, lately the developers of game are very resilient to give tools to the community to mod their games (battlefield 3 and 4 for example, a blatant treason for the old fans of BF1942 and BF2)

It has been mentioned by Chris Roberts many, many times that the game is fully moddable, and that after release, modding tools will be available. Plus they have done the next greatest starship, and those ships (some of them) will make it into the game. They have mentioned that there will be the possibility of private servers where any mod can be installed. So it will never be for the full Star Citizen version (they will accept submissions through an approval process, but Macross is IP), but private servers are a go!