Kid friendly macross snap kit?

miriya

My boy has just built his first model, a gundam SD snap kit. He got the bug from watching Sgt. Frog.

Anyway I want to get him a macross model that he would be able to build himself that would be a snap kit not requiring glue or paint.

Does anyone know of such a model?

Thanks.

The only snap kits I can think of for Macross are the Bandai Frontier kits, and those are definitely NOT kid friendly (barely adult friendly, in my opinion).

Most simplest Macross kit would probably be Hasegawa's Egg Plane series, but those do need glue and paint.

Bandai Macross F 1/100 VF-25F, YF-29:

Pretty straightforward assembly, however there are some small parts that are either difficult to assemble (head area) or break easy (canard antenna).

The big difficulty is the stickers. You'll have to help him here, as some are difficult to line up correctly.

Pros: VERY simple assembly

Cons: fighter mode only. YF-29 must be handled with care.

Bandai Macross 7 1/144 VF-19, VF-11, VF-11MAXL, VF-17

Pros: very simple assembly, very few stickers, and if you throw on some panel lines, they look great. Not to mention you get a fighter and battroid in each.

Cons: out of print. I've yet to find a VF-17, but have found plenty of VF-11MAXL (your son will probably not be interested in a pink fighter with boobies).

The VF-11 and VF-11MAXL are quite forgiving and, dare I say, fun to assemble. The VF-19's red plastic hasn't aged as well - I found it harder to cut from the sprues, and it was very easy to make stress marks. Battroid assembly is a bit more intensive, and may be frustrating. The end result of the battroid also isn't as nice as the VF-11 or VF-11MAXL (mostly due to having used a bunch of different plastic colours).]

Bandai Macross II 1/100 Valkyrie II

Fundamentally not a bad kit and fairly straightforward to assemble, but it's shoulder design is weak, and there are some tricky parts in the arm/shoulder assembly. Otherwise, the main problem is that the plastic hasn't aged well, either...

as others have mentioned, the Bandai 1/100 Macross F kits are great kits, but they're not for novice modellers.

Edited by sketchley

Need I say it, the 1/200 Nichimo kits (if you can find one). They do have small details, but they're pretty hardy. My 7 year old likes to play with my prototypes on the Daedalus. My first pick would actually be the 1/144th Macross 7 kits. They are nice looking, easy AND ALL ARE IN STOCK NOW at HLJ! - MT

Edited by MechTech

• 3 weeks later...