Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

not a bad thing for me, I enjoy running around tossing people with the Force :)

I just wish there was an M rating version so when you slice people, they fall apart in pieces. That was always a cool thing in JO2 and JA. I'd always set dismemberment to the highest setting and watch the limbs go flying!

Now I am going to have to go dig up the old games and hope they're Vista compatible. Thanks for reminding me about it!

:blink::wacko:

I have a friend who is into these sorts of games and he actually went out and got it for his PSP to go along with his 360 copy. He really likes it. Tells me all I need to know. Its like the Dynasty Warrior games, Ace Combat, Armored Core... if this is the kind of game you like, you want more of it, even if it isn't totally different. I want more Jedi Knight, this game seems 100% up my alley.

Hmm, online multiplayer x-wing/tie fighter game....why hasn't this happened since the old PC game???

I've been waiting since 1999 for Lucasarts to get someone to bring back the X-Wing series. But ever since Phantom Menace came out, they just didn't want to do any games set in the Original Trilogy. Only recently did they do so.

In '99, they also introduced the Rogue Squadron series of games, but compared to the X-Wing series, it felt like I was being held back and flying a rail shooter.

Well, there was Battlefront 2.

SWBF2 just isn't the same. Craft variety isn't there, no system adjustments, overly simplistic. I never was looking for a hardcore sim, but the X-Wing series gave alot of space flying options that later SW fighter games just can't do.

Edited by Warmaker

You'll be wanting the Wii version, then. Besides multiplayer, I understand it got some additional single player levels as well.

No HD, no care.

I've been waiting since 1999 for Lucasarts to get someone to bring back the X-Wing series. But ever since Phantom Menace came out, they just didn't want to do any games set in the Original Trilogy. Only recently did they do so.

I'd have been happy enough with a Naboo starfighter simulator...

But a revisit on XvT is waaaaaaay overdue.

In '99, they also introduced the Rogue Squadron series of games, but compared to the X-Wing series, it felt like I was being held back and flying a rail shooter.

I agree with you 100%

How great would it be for them to bring out a new X-Wing conbat flight sim game with todays technology. It would probably ruin my life I loved the original games so much I might never be able to stop playing.

SWBF2 just isn't the same. Craft variety isn't there, no system adjustments, overly simplistic. I never was looking for a hardcore sim, but the X-Wing series gave alot of space flying options that later SW fighter games just can't do.

I was dissappointed with SWBF2 for other reasons. They essentially removed the "army" aspect from the game. Before you had the illusion that you were part of a larger force. BF2 with all its "upgrades" and smaller battlefields and troop numbers as a result pretty much excised the "army" from the game. I still much prefer SWBF1, but there's only one or two servers left to play the game on and it runs like crap.

Edit: I just found out that my PS3 will auto-resume a dvd I took out in mid-play even if I've watched a pile of movies since then. Caught me pleasantly by surprise.

Edited by Alpha OTS

It's just too bad that it seems that in general, the gaming audience has moved away from the more realistic space sims.

The whole gaming industry has moved away from Sims. From F-15 to ATF, Aces over the Pacific, Red Baron, etc etc. All that's left now is Microsoft and whatever they're calling Falcon 4.0 these days...

Every report I've seen on MW of using mkv2vob has resulted in no subs, but xvid4psp seems to work fine. I'd try xvid4psp---it's what I use for my 360.

Hey David,

I installed XVID4PSP and during the previews at least, none of the subtitles show up - how did you convert MKV WITH subtitles to something the PS3 can play?

Has anyone else gotten the Macross Frontier MKV (with embedded subtitles) to sucessfully convert to something the PS3 can plan in HD?

Thanks,

Wm

Hey David,

I installed XVID4PSP and during the previews at least, none of the subtitles show up - how did you convert MKV WITH subtitles to something the PS3 can play?

Has anyone else gotten the Macross Frontier MKV (with embedded subtitles) to sucessfully convert to something the PS3 can plan in HD?

Thanks,

Wm

I've converted MKV files with subs using mkv2vob. Usually I just convert them to mpeg2. The subs will be burned in though.

Saw this at animeondvd, anime at the PSN store in Japan WTF!!!

Arc the Lad

Full Metal Alchemist

Blood+

Persona-trinity soul

Popolocrolis Stories

Wild Arms TV

From Bandai Channel:

Gunparade Orchestra,

Gunparade March,

Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack,

Gundam Seed OVA,

Gundam Seed Destiny OVA,

Gundam 00,

Z Gundam (various, not sure exactly which movies, etc... not the Tv series though I don't think),

Mars Daybreak,

Eureka Seven,

Sakura Wars OVA,

Sakura Wars 2 OVA,

Mai Otome Hime,

Mai Otome Hime Zwei,

Disgaea,

Macross Zero,

Macross F

Super Dimensional Fortress MAcross,

SDF Macross Do you remember love?,

SDF MAcross II Lovers Again,

Macross 7,

Macross Plus,

Macross 7 the Movie "The Galaxy's calling me!",

Macross Plus "The movie Edition",

Macross Dynamite 7

http://animeanime.jp/biz/archives/2008/08/_924_ps3.html

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=85504

Edited by dejr8bud

Got invited to the Home Beta. It's pretty cool, and I can see it being a great place to find NEW people(not on your friends list) to play games. I opnly spent around an hour with it so far, but it does have a lot of potential for those who like that sorta thing. Best of all would be clan and guild type meetings to discuss things such as has been discussed before. One thing....a lot of the things your avatar can do are...gay. Anyone who sees the bow and spin will surely laugh. Then bust out a robot dance with a bubble machine and get weird looks.

On another note, I saw the Greatest Hits of Resistance and Assassins Creed in Wally world today. The AC had the red box (it's not translucent like the HD DVD ones..it's a solid dark red) but the resistance ones had just a new slip cover with the red at the top. Not sure which looked better.

WHY, OH WHY, is there a big whoopty doo about Sony releasing a games console with a 160 gb hard drive. In SEPTEMBER 2008, fer christsake.

Why don't they put bigger drives in their machines, especially since 1tb is now the new 1gb????

Some might say it would put the costs up, but we are talking about SONY here, not some little tinpot manufacturer.

Taksraven

WHY, OH WHY, is there a big whoopty doo about Sony releasing a games console with a 160 gb hard drive. In SEPTEMBER 2008, fer christsake.

Why don't they put bigger drives in their machines, especially since 1tb is now the new 1gb????

Some might say it would put the costs up, but we are talking about SONY here, not some little tinpot manufacturer.

Taksraven

because PS3 cost too much as it is, Sony is losing money off of each one sold, adding an extra 200 dollars to them to fit them with the latest, high capacity drive would break the bank and most people wouldn't ever care.

Edited by eugimon

Taksraven

I'm presuming your post is a joke because....

1. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

2. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

3. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

4. Yes, it would be expensive, even for SONY. But as mentioned, it's a simple swap....

Why don't they put 1TB drives in every DVR, Tivo, laptop, and home PC, Mac,, and PS3 and 360 for that matter..why stop there? :lol:

I still don't get the joke, pun, or anything because there isn't a reference to the PS3's HDD....is this some Australian humor that I've missed?

Edited by Gaijin

Taksraven

Well, for one thing, the PS3 uses 2.5" drives, not the 3.5" drives used by desktop computers. 2.5" drives don't come in 1TB (yet). I think they just hit 500GB.

Yup. I just put a 320GB thanks to the $98 WD Scorpio on sale at Frys this last weekend. 290GB free. :w00t:

I retired the 160GB I had in there to backup duty.

Regarding installing a larger hard drive, what's the best way from transfering files from one drive to the other? Also, is it an IDE or SATA drive that the ps3 uses?

2.5" SATA, like the kind that goes in a laptop.

The best way to back up the old one, AFAIK, is to connect a portable USB hard drive, and run the PS3's backup utility.

Ok, I'm thinking I may be mis-remembering how I converted. I think I *did* have the separate .ass files for the MKV's, and the MKV's alone won't work. It's kind of redundant to have the MKV (which has the .ass embedded inside) and the original .ass the MKV was made from, but it does seem to be required.

2.5" SATA, like the kind that goes in a laptop.

The best way to back up the old one, AFAIK, is to connect a portable USB hard drive, and run the PS3's backup utility.

Thanks, looks like I'll need to borrow or buy another portable drive. I'm assuming any will do as long as it's not pre-formatted?

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Thanks, looks like I'll need to borrow or buy another portable drive. I'm assuming any will do as long as it's not pre-formatted?

I'm not sure. I mean, yeah, any drive will do. I think the PS3 can reformat the drive itself, though. The drive should be FAT32 for the PS3; there's issues with FAT where a partition can only be a certain size, so depending on the drive you get/borrow, you might want to partition it with a computer.

got a few races in on wipeoutHD... it rocks

Looks great, plays and sounds great. It is more of the same, so if you have the 2 PSP games, it's not anything terribly new, the tracks and skins are recycled.

Online is fast and for me at least, lag free.

If you like the series, this is an easy buy and lots of fun

got a few races in on wipeoutHD... it rocks

Looks great, plays and sounds great. It is more of the same, so if you have the 2 PSP games, it's not anything terribly new, the tracks and skins are recycled.

Online is fast and for me at least, lag free.

If you like the series, this is an easy buy and lots of fun

Did it take you long to download? I started it around 6:00, and it wasn't done until almost 9:00.

Anyway, I also only did a few races. It reminds me more of Pulse than Pure, but they're both fantastic games, so I can't complain, but as a long-time fan of the series, I do wish there would have been some tracks from WipEout XL and Wip3out.

Cya guys online!

Yeah you will. I just sent you an invite.

eugimon, what's you're PSN ID? I have a couple of people on my Friends list, and I think about half of them are from MW, but I'm not sure who's who.