HG and Robotech Debates

Nope, there wasn't a thing about the Robotech panel at NYCC on Anime News Network. There was only a member on the message boards asking what was said in the panel. Not even ANN seems to want to touch anything Robotech.

Can't blame them when Robotech 2012 is Robotech Love Live Alive, a modern day Macekre with elements of Mospeada's epilogue OVA and new animation like The Untold Story. Jasonc and others were right all this time.

Edited by Einherjar

Oh ho...

So, when Harmony Gold was faced with a choice between two really bad ideas - redubbing Love Live Alive or slapping together another "original" piece of Shadow Chronicles-grade suck - they decided to up the ante by doing both, thus making twice their usual number of phenomenally bad decisions! I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disgusted. :blink:

Can't blame them when Robotech 2012 is Robotech Love Live Alive, a modern day Macekre with elements of Mospeada's epilogue OVA and new animation like The Untold Story. Jasonc and others were right all this time.

I kinda knew what it was going to be, but at the same time, I wanted to be wrong. They're way late in the game, doing the same chop job to old animation and making it into something else. New animation? Fine, whatever, but then you're going to add stuff that was fine as is? President of animation my a$$! Sad for Mospeada fans IMO, a frakking joke to the RT fans.

I didn't go to it, but I also heard from a friend who did, that the entire documentary was shot in Standard Definition, they used the same generic background for all the interviewees, AND, they mistitled Richard Epcar's roles he did in Robotech. From what I heard hanging out with friends afterward, was that if you saw it at the panels at conventions, you pretty much saw the entire thing. The GOOD thing that was mentioned about it, was that it was a true look back from the voice actors at the history in making it. Politics and asinine, narcissistic tendencies aside from the "creative staff", that seems to be the the only good thing out of that 30-40 minutes, and the bar and food.

LOVE, LIVE, ALIVE....Yeah, saw that coming and damn...WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

But, but, but, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!

Nearly all the new footage from Mospeada contradicts the changes to the ending made for the shadow chronicles. I think someone needs to take away Tommy Yune's medical protoculture card.

Also lol, Macel looks high in that poster they have on the news page.

Edited by Keith

LOVE, LIVE, ALIVE....Yeah, saw that coming and damn...WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

This of course brings up the obvious question, are they going to crop the LLA footage, or is their new animation going to be 4:3...for that matter, do I even care? :)

This of course brings up the obvious question, are they going to crop the LLA footage, or is their new animation going to be 4:3...for that matter, do I even care? :)

I heard genetically enhanced crops are great for this time of year (cropped and probably some color saturation, perhaps with some more cleanup to fit the new animation). Judging by what has been seen, and screen captures of what they seem to want to do, it looks like they will go that route. Then again, on that, it's speculation based on their ill-conceived actions. If you think about it though, if they decide to just keep this in 4:3 which I know Tommy loves, maybe they'll keep it like that, and use some lame excuse like, "they wanted to keep it close to Carl's vision for the time, so we didn't do it in Widescreen." I dunno, I'm indirectly giving them backhanded ideas here. Maybe their new Vice president of marketing can come up with a good spin on that. Now, that is funny.

I heard genetically enhanced crops are great for this time of year (cropped and probably some color saturation, perhaps with some more cleanup to fit the new animation). Judging by what has been seen, and screen captures of what they seem to want to do, it looks like they will go that route. Then again, on that, it's speculation based on their ill-conceived actions. If you think about it though, if they decide to just keep this in 4:3 which I know Tommy loves, maybe they'll keep it like that, and use some lame excuse like, "they wanted to keep it close to Carl's vision for the time, so we didn't do it in Widescreen." I dunno, I'm indirectly giving them backhanded ideas here. Maybe their new Vice president of marketing can come up with a good spin on that. Now, that is funny.

You mean something like "the majority of our fans have told us they don't like HD TV's, and don't plan to upgrade in the future, so we're releasing this fullscreen." Yeah, that sounds like them.

WTH?! Is it actually confirmed that Mospeada LLA is their "new" animation? I did not believe it was possible. How? It doesn't fit in with Shadow Chronicles in the slightest.

edit: What. It's true. Wow. I stand corrected. I underestimated HG.

Edited by Legioss

This fits in perfectly with their business model. If anything it's just a surprise that they are including new footage. Why are people surprised by this?

A couple of us were saying this last year, and people thought we were nucking futs. Told ya! And yeah, that's pretty bad.

I can't believe it! Harmony gold has really gone down the pipe, they absolutely have no self respect!!!

Why bother paying to rent it when someone's bound to upload it on YouTube, just like the hundreds of channels that uploaded Shadow Chronicles?

It's actually less bother to watch a netflix disc or stream then a youtube one. That might change when we get the BD player with built in youtube watching.

I... I... am truly facepalming right now.

I was down the hall from the Robotech panel at NYCC and had a brief moment where I wondered "should I bother?"...but ultimately decided visiting the Bluefin Tamashii booth for the 10th time was far more important.

Spoiler alert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn78tdcPZx8&feature=related

It's been on youtube since 2010 as well as torrents. People will be partly paying for the convenience of a "translated" version in the old school 80's style. Things never change.

So congratulations Robotech fans, your next offering is another The Untold Story. Expect the crew, and the .com moderators, to milk the Carl Macek tribute aspect of the production up to eleven to get people to ignore this fact.

Edited by Einherjar

my GOD!! it's the mid/late 1980's all over again... and in all the worst possible ways, no less!!

after all the hard work that pioneering Anime fans of the 80's and 90's put into building a western Anime industry

that was forthright and far above such archaic practices... what's left of it today seems to have backslided big time,

and HG and ROBOTECH sure as hell ain't helping matters here one damned little bit.

as always... in the end, the opportunists and hucksters always win out...

Edited by Shaorin

I actually think LLA is a good idea from a business sense and I will see it when they release it. What I don't get is the hype built up around it. It'll be nice to see, but it's not something that deserves 2 and half years of teasing.

It's like the extra animated shorts you find on those DC Comics animated movies. A nice supplement, but nothing to promote as a main attraction. Obviously, though, we all know why they have to hype it as such.

Hell, the Carl Macek documentary was meant to be a DVD extra, nothing more. And for that, it did a good job. The fact that they made a formal event and screening around it was just quite... odd. I enjoy the extras on my Star Trek DVD's every now and then, but would I dress up to seen one of those in a theater???

So is it actually confirmed that it's basically LLA with SC-type animation shoved in between the cracks? I would like to ridicule them based on sound info.

I just watched it now. They showed mostly LLA footage but had one closeup shot of Dana (new animation) and dissolved to closeup shot of Lancer (old animation). That looked really out of place. Then, they showed the three mounds, still shots with flower pedals animated over them. And... that was it.

And over on Robotech.com, someone said Tommy mentioned not using the music portions that much, and mainly the dialogue scenes.

I mean it's cool if they put the bits into a computer screen in the background as an easter egg or even re animate the footage into the current story as an homage. But to make an announcement about this is just more of these guys congratulating themselves for something so lame. And they do it long before the release and before they even see what a bad idea it is. I guess they don't want to miss out in the inter office bro hugs.

I mean it's cool if they put the bits into a computer screen in the background as an easter egg or even re animate the footage into the current story as an homage. But to make an announcement about this is just more of these guys congratulating themselves for something so lame. And they do it long before the release and before they even see what a bad idea it is. I guess they don't want to miss out in the inter office bro hugs.

I can just picture it now, they're jumping in the air to chest slap each other with the song "Do the Homie" in the background (look up Boondocks for it on youtube). I know this isn't going to be LLA, but the fact that they're using it, just gives so many people, including Robotech fans, a bad taste in the mouth. Oh, and let's not kid ourselves here, this isn't "Carl's vision". Carl may have had an idea, but Tommy still runs that part of it, so this is all his idea. I do know, pretty much for a fact, that the "Carl's vision" thing, is going to be Tommy's excuse to revert to if people get pissed at it. Also, it is his way of diverting blame, and to lighten people's anger. "How can we be mad, when this was Carl's last idea?" BULL$HIT!