Star Wars toys

Thanks for the links Fit for Natalie. I've been waiting for an Anakin with ball jointed shoulders, elbows, knees, and ankles (hips optional). And I'd prefer that his clothes be non-soft-goods, exception for a cloak or the lower part of the tunic. I find the figures look funky with too much soft-goods.

My wishlist: NEW, super articulated Rebel Troopers. Hasbro has run that POTJ-era Tantive IV trooper into the ground. All of the current Endor troopers are based upon that weirdly posed 2002 Saga Endor trooper (though the current ones actually have articulation). There hasn't been a Hoth trooper since 2004, and that mold sucks.

Poor bastard Rebels have no money and evidently no good figures. Wish they would make some EU Rebel vehicles, too.

I've been waiting for an Anakin with ball jointed shoulders, elbows, knees, and ankles (hips optional).

The Anakin that was linked lacks ball jointed elbows they are still on swivels. The only ROTS Anakin figures that have ball jointed elbows on both arms are the Target order 66 one that just came out(maybe it doesn't count, its a Clone Wars repack with cloak), and the spirit of Anakin figure.

Anybody bought the V-Wing? Is it worth getting? I have a fair amount of Rebel pilots these days, so I was thinking of giving it to my Rebels, who absolutely dominate the skies in my Star Wars collection. I only have Vader's TIE fighter to counter them.

I'm giving consideration into buying the 2007 TAC Y-Wing, even though I already have the perfectly good POTF2 Y-Wing. That toy is just really well made. I hope Hasbro makes a toy of the upcoming Clone Wars era Y-Wing.

The Anakin that was linked lacks ball jointed elbows they are still on swivels. The only ROTS Anakin figures that have ball jointed elbows on both arms are the Target order 66 one that just came out(maybe it doesn't count, its a Clone Wars repack with cloak), and the spirit of Anakin figure.
It's actually a repaint of a 2007 TAC shirtless, tatooed Anakin as he appeared in one of the Clone Wars cartoons, just to be absolutely accurate so nobody thinks he was part of the sub-par articulation era of 2003 Clone Wars ;)

Anybody bought the V-Wing? Is it worth getting? I have a fair amount of Rebel pilots these days, so I was thinking of giving it to my Rebels, who absolutely dominate the skies in my Star Wars collection. I only have Vader's TIE fighter to counter them.

I'm giving consideration into buying the 2007 TAC Y-Wing, even though I already have the perfectly good POTF2 Y-Wing. That toy is just really well made. I hope Hasbro makes a toy of the upcoming Clone Wars era Y-Wing.

It's actually a repaint of a 2007 TAC shirtless, tatooed Anakin as he appeared in one of the Clone Wars cartoons, just to be absolutely accurate so nobody thinks he was part of the sub-par articulation era of 2003 Clone Wars ;)

The 2007 TAC Y-Wing looks terrible imo, saw it at TRU and the paint job is just awful. Lazy effort on Hasbro's part. I do want the droid from it though...

Shirtless Anakin still lacks ankle articulation unfortunately, which is a shame as I think it's the ankle articulation that makes all the difference sometimes...

Hanging out for the AT-TE here, maybe the new Falcon as well... god knows where I'll put these behemoths though... :wacko:

Obi-Wans intercepter (name??) the one used in episode 2. (was there ever a decent one released?)

Jedi Starfighter is all I know it as - it's actually been released in several colour schemes (Obi-Wan's originally), and was recently re-released (in Obi-Wan's colour scheme again), this time including the Hyperdrive Ring he uses in the film... should still be at TRU, they had them quite cheap for a while (~$36 iirc) but I don't know if they're still that price.

I recently won an POTF2 AT-AT on eBay for a good price by the standards down here. I hope it's as cool as it looks as I've always wanted one. Plus the new AT-AP and the upcoming AT-TE gave me a reason to get one:

Massive Imperial mecha display, BWAHAHAHAHA! Ahem.

Random question: Was the TAC TIE Bomber ever released in Australia?

The 2007 TAC Y-Wing looks terrible imo, saw it at TRU and the paint job is just awful. Lazy effort on Hasbro's part. I do want the droid from it though...
Really? It doesn't look too bad to me. In fact, I quite like the weathering deco on the light grey parts. However, I'm less than impressed with the almost monochromatic hull. The POTF2 version at least painted the conduits yellow.

I'd like to see pics of the latest A-Wing that people here posted about.

favs are -

X-Wing first,

Obi-Wans intercepter (name??) the one used in episode 2. (was there ever a decent one released?)

and the A-Wing.

New A-Wing? There's no new A-Wing. They've been using the same A-Wing mold since 1984. The last release was a green EU redeco in 2004.

If you mean the V-Wing from Revenge of the Sith, yeah, it looks ALOT like the A-Wing (crossed with the TIE fighter): V-Wing toy gallery

As for Obi-Wan's Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter, that's officially known as the Delta-7 Aethersprite interceptor. As Stemp Fester said, they released it a whole bunch of times in various decos. Just a few months ago they re-released it with the Hyperdrive ring he used in Ep 2. Toys R Us's down here SHOULD still have them for $32-36 clearance, which is odd considering they only just released it: Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter with Hyperspace Ring toy gallery

Of all the starships shown in the Prequels, the Delta-7 flown by Obi-Wan in Ep.II is the most fabulous looking. Simple, sleek, nice. So unlike the Jedi Interceptor from Ep.III where it looked like a Frankenstein creation.

Shirtless Anakin still lacks ankle articulation unfortunately, which is a shame as I think it's the ankle articulation that makes all the difference sometimes...

True. Darth Revan should have had those.

New A-Wing? There's no new A-Wing. They've been using the same A-Wing mold since 1984. The last release was a green EU redeco in 2004.

He might be referring to the walmart exclusive A-wing that includes Arnavel Crynd that will be released later this year. He said latest, not new.

Woah, they retooled the engines? Looks like they removed the clear structural integrity pieces around the engines. Unless they just forgot to put them in for this prototype.

I hope that's released in Australia.

ruskiiVFaussie: There's not much they can do. The A-Wing was one of the last original trilogy vehicles in the original toyline (well it was released in Droids) and was one of their highpoints. It's about as accurate as they can ever get. It's quite decently in scale and nicely detailed.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Glad to see someone make a thread about this stuff, it's fun to see (even if I can't afford it).

I'm gonna have to keep tabs on that new a-wing. :) I like the new engines on this one, probably have to get one or two eventually (About time I got something to go with all my ginormous x-wings :p). As far as movie accuracy goes, I think this one even tops the large scale X-Wings.

Personally, I've been on a crazy quest for a detailed x-wing, without the ridiculous cost of the movie replicas. I've got 4 of the large scale x-wings sitting disassembled in a box: 2 red leader versions, one good FX version, and one incomplete FX version for spare parts. I was happy to get the incomplete FX for about $5 (wanted the pointy, non-child-safe nosecone :p).

My eventual hope is to rebuild one of the red-leader versions into a decent display model. It's already been stripped of stickers and some paint, and the nose swapped to the accurate one. I may leave the rear greeblie deck alone, but I really want to rebuild the wings/engines some. I've always hated how the wings constantly droop on the large x-wings, hopefully I'll find a way to fix that, even if it means building new wings from scratch.

Edited by Chronocidal

This will never happen due to how protective Lucasfilm is of their IPs, but I'd love to see somebody make a Z-95 Headhunter conversion kit for the old X-Wing toy they last released in 2004.

Glad to see someone make a thread about this stuff, it's fun to see (even if I can't afford it).

I'm gonna have to keep tabs on that new a-wing. :) I like the new engines on this one, probably have to get one or two eventually (About time I got something to go with all my ginormous x-wings :p). As far as movie accuracy goes, I think this one even tops the large scale X-Wings.

Personally, I've been on a crazy quest for a detailed x-wing, without the ridiculous cost of the movie replicas. I've got 4 of the large scale x-wings sitting disassembled in a box: 2 red leader versions, one good FX version, and one incomplete FX version for spare parts. I was happy to get the incomplete FX for about $5 (wanted the pointy, non-child-safe nosecone :p).

My eventual hope is to rebuild one of the red-leader versions into a decent display model. It's already been stripped of stickers and some paint, and the nose swapped to the accurate one. I may leave the rear greeblie deck alone, but I really want to rebuild the wings/engines some. I've always hated how the wings constantly droop on the large x-wings, hopefully I'll find a way to fix that, even if it means building new wings from scratch.

It's just the same A-Wing that they've been selling since 1985, in a similar deco to its 1997 release. Yeah, late original Kenner stuff was usually very accurate. Go get yourself a 2007 TAC Y-Wing. It's probably my favourite starfighter mold.

I believe they used a stiffer plastic on the original 1998 Power FX X-Wing, then they switched to a softer plastic for the 2002 Dagobah and 2004 Red Leader versions. Like most Red Leaders, mine has crooked guns :angry:

Anybody know if the Saga 2006 Dagobah X-Wing has drooping wings?

2-1/2 ft long, msrp last year was rumored for $149.99. Yes its legit.

So far, no. The closest one is a helmet that comes in the Mara Jade/Luke comic pack, but the blast shield isn't down.

yes there is, he also had a lightsaber and (I think) a little t-16 model.

Woah, they retooled the engines? Looks like they removed the clear structural integrity pieces around the engines. Unless they just forgot to put them in for this prototype.

I hope that's released in Australia.

ruskiiVFaussie: There's not much they can do. The A-Wing was one of the last original trilogy vehicles in the original toyline (well it was released in Droids) and was one of their highpoints. It's about as accurate as they can ever get. It's quite decently in scale and nicely detailed.

Cool, well that's encouraging that it's as god as it can be done i guess. I think i should look into getting one when i get the extra dosh.

Shin that does look really well done! :D Is the cockpit any detailed?

Anybody know if the Saga 2006 Dagobah X-Wing has drooping wings?

I have this, but I had it displayed upright sitting on its engines so I never got the droopy wings problem, although I think it did suffer from it - they're not made of very stiff plastic. Might be possible to insert a couple of thin metal rods into the wings somehow to stop it happening though.

If it's anything like the green A-wing then no - not at all :(

Speaking of the A-wing, does anyone know if the original version came with any electronic features? On the bottom of the green one there is a piece of plastic that looks to be the cover for a battery compartment...

I have this, but I had it displayed upright sitting on its engines so I never got the droopy wings problem, although I think it did suffer from it - they're not made of very stiff plastic. Might be possible to insert a couple of thin metal rods into the wings somehow to stop it happening though.

My Dagobah X-Wing indeed suffers from droopy wings. My solution - which isn't a very good one - is to simply pull the wings and flip them over every month or so. I've considered putting very thin metal braces into each wingroot, but it's not high on my priority list.

Speaking of the A-wing, does anyone know if the original version came with any electronic features? On the bottom of the green one there is a piece of plastic that looks to be the cover for a battery compartment...

Yes, the Droids A-Wing did have a battery compartment. It had a press button to make "laser" sounds. Mine actually still works, against all odds.

Since the Droids A-Wing is the only one I've ever owned, I'm looking very forward to getting the new one with Arvel. I think it looks really nice.

Anybody have the T-16 Skyhopper? I read that the wing mechanism wasn't very well made, so when you deployed the wings, bits of plastic broke off. Is this true?

Cool, well that's encouraging that it's as god as it can be done i guess. I think i should look into getting one when i get the extra dosh.

In terms of sculpted detail, the cockpit is pretty spartan. Hasbro didn't bother to use any stickers for the cockpit in their last release, but hopefully they will for the upcoming July re-release.

Gallery of the 1997 POTF2 (Red) A-Wing

Gallery of 2003 Saga (Green) A-Wing

Hasbro glued down the battery compartment in the green A-Wing and (I assume) this latest one, too.

I can confirm about the T-16, my brother has one still. The wing mechanism is really very similar to the new "clicky" joints used in the Star Wars Lego sets, but the ridges meant to add tension to the pivot are far too small, and they eventually wear down. The plastic is also rather soft, so the ridges will eventually break down under the stress of moving the wings.

I've always displayed mine the same way, sitting on the engines. Keeps the stress off the wing mounts. I can definitely say though that the all the parts are identical between the versions, even going back to the original FX version (save for the altered nosecone and redesigned fuselage for the saga models). The non-FX ones still have the same assembly for the engines, right down to the clear lenses (looks goofy with no lights in there :p).

I've taken these things apart thoroughly (and I mean very thoroughly.. as far apart as I could get without breaking pieces in general, and sometimes beyond that <_< ), and the cause of the droopy wings is the way they're mounted, not necessarily the materials. The soft plastic obviously doesn't help since the weight of the guns will warp them over time. But the wing mount is just plain loose, and the internal wing mechanism is utterly slopply (completely unlike the older stubby midget X-Wing vehicle toy.. the one thing it DID have was a nice sturdy wing mechanism). The wings actually flop around in the socket, since pressure is only applied to the tabs from one direction. If you ever flip the ship upside down, you'll notice the wings suddenly droop the other way. :p

Btw, I discovered a few tricks to straighten the guns. If you unscrew the gun mounts, you can see that the soft plastic barrels are an insert that get placed inside and sandwiched, with a couple of plastic ridges to attach to. I found I was able to make the guns decently straight by swapping bent pieces to the opposite sides, and making sure the barrels were aligned correctly before screwing the guns back together. It's not perfect, but it's leaps and bounds better than out-of-the-box condition.

If anyone wants, I'll take a few pictures to show what I did. I keep the stripped model out on my desk for kicks (and the occasional computer model reference). If I ever get to eventually modifying it like I want, I'll try to remember to keep a record of what I do.

Edited by Chronocidal

I have around 25 of the titanium diecast star wars ships. All ships, not a big fan of ground vehicles, etc.

I also have almost all the Animated Clone Wars figures. Other then those, I can't really get into figures, I'm a big spaceship guy.

Space battle scenes rule the day in my book!

yeah mine has it too, but i'm not really worried about it, i have thought of the 'hang up-side down' method as well.

Bummer, oh well. Not like the Saga X-Wing is any flash either.

I think Hasbro should have left the engine lights/sounds and the blaster sounds in when they retooled it for the 2002 Dagobah release. Otherwise its just a big, empty toy.

Hehe.. I beg to differ- it's a big empty accurate toy, at about 1/3 the cost (the original FX cost upwards of $75 new). I didn't mind the lights/sounds so much, but the stupid flight handle/missile launcher gimmick bugged the crap out of me. Aside from the fubared nosecone, I really prefer the fuselage details on the saga versions, not to mention the removable pilot/astromech.

Here's my custom job waiting to happen, personally I think it's pretty when it's all cleaned up. :)

HPIM0280.jpg

Hehe.. I beg to differ- it's a big empty accurate toy, at about 1/3 the cost (the original FX cost upwards of $75 new). I didn't mind the lights/sounds so much, but the stupid flight handle/missile launcher gimmick bugged the crap out of me. Aside from the fubared nosecone, I really prefer the fuselage details on the saga versions, not to mention the removable pilot/astromech.

Here's my custom job waiting to happen, personally I think it's pretty when it's all cleaned up. smile.gif

Yeah the lack of electronics didn't bother me. After having the 97 X-Wing, I was itching to have a way better one. I have the 2006 Dagobah version, and I like it a lot. I store all of VOTC X-wing Luke's weapons behind the seat. I think it will be a long while before Hasbro ever outdoes this X-Wing.

Well, with an action figure in the cockpit, I wouldn't expect much cockpit detail. Improvements to the wings would be great though, and I hope they bring back the sharp nose. One thing I'd really like to see is for them to fix the rear portion of the engines.. they're supposed to be mounted a bit higher, and that's always bugged me. Course, I'm just funny that way with little things. :lol:

I know its less useful now with the INTERNETS and great, extensive galleries from Rebelscum, but I'd really like to see an updated version of Steven Sansweet's Star Wars Action Figure Archive book, covering all toys up to now. There's some satisfaction with a physical book that you don't get from looking at/reading stuff online.

Here's my custom job waiting to happen, personally I think it's pretty when it's all cleaned up. :)

The engine sounds/lights and blaster sounds would have worked with or without the handle or built-in R2 unit with some minor retooling.

I tried doing that gun thing you suggested for my Red Leader. Problem was, one gun is bent one way and the other gun is bent the other way. Now if both were bent in the same direction...