The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

After looking a bit more at the images I think this is not a toy for me. First he looks very similar in the legs to MP Laserwave which had a terrible feel in hand. Secondly looking at the back of the toy his construction looks pretty wonky. For starters his left forearm (the one without the Fusion Cannon) seems to consist of three panels rolled up on them which doesn't sit well with me. Next the shoulders also looks hollow from the pictures wich might be an optical illusion. However the alt-mode looks like he will explode in a thousand pieces with no solid robot shapes anywhere so I assume he will be fiddly.

Overall I think for my aesthetic preferences Despotron will be a better match for my MP-10 than the official Megatron. I'm not against cartoon focused Masterpiece line but I prefer new additions that fit in with my existing collection. Laserwave, Inferno and now Megatron don't do that as much as 3rd Party offerings do.

If he comes out and all my criticisms are not present I might be interested in a repaint of him (preferably black).

• 3 weeks later...

megatron at bbts.

lol for $230, they better not glue that orange tip on

That price is absurd, and that MP Megatron looks bad. That grey color is awful, definitely agreed there, he should be silver, and he still looks like he's wearing his pants too high up. Even when HLJ and other over seas shops put there prices up, easy frakking pass, good god Takara. I guess this a sign of the times though, toon accuracy to the point of absurdity, I figured when they decided to start un-Hasui-ing MP cars this was the direction they'd go, it's only a matter of time before we see MP-10+ with a dull "screen accurate" look. If that's your thing more power to you, you've got a lot to look forward to, Takara is just giving me more reasons to go further down the third party rabbit hole, this thing looks laughably bad, I'm almost shocked.

If anyone is thinking of buying MP-36 in the US locally, I would choose one of the smaller stores like Toy Dojo, Captured Prey, or The Chosen Prime. I've noticed that the smaller stores don't mess with the packaging like BBTS, so it will be up to Takara as to how gummed up that orange plug is. It might end up being a non issue like Despotron was.

But yeah, how Takara boxes everything up at the factory matter won't matter if you buy MP-36 from BBTS.

The toy looks good, and very articulate. I especially like all the gimmicks and add-ons that Takara is able to squeeze into its newer Masterpiece releases. I think these points are winning me over with the new MPs, since I'm not really into the trend for painful cartoon accuracy.

The torso and shoulder areas do look a little busy, and that concerns me on this Megatron. I hope everything locks together all right. I think I'll be okay with this if it proves to have a unique and fun transformation that is solid in both modes. If it is too complicated and fiddly, though, I may pass on it. Anyway, I'll be waiting for the retail release this time since I have other third-party options that can stand with MP-10.

I'm also closely watching the "different" takes on Megatron that have been teased (GT's and MMC's). The Megatron drought is definitely over.

Edited by technoblue

I'm torn between getting the new MP or one of the 3rd party's. I really do like the anime accurate coloring and the gimmicks on the new MP, I don't like the price for sure, may hold off until some reviews go up of people with it in hand. I could care less what gun mode looks like, he'll stay in robot mode for me anyway, just as long as I don't have an orange freakin plug in the barrel.

What's up with Takara's MP pricing lately? $120 seemed an awful lot for Primal, considering he's carbot-sized, and now $230 for Megatron? That's just insane. Despotron is only $145 and cleans up much better, and if you mind kibble less than Maketoys' little stylized touches Mightron is even less expensive.

I've been scrutinizing pics of MP-36 in gun and bot modes, as I like to try and figure out transformations before the toys are reviewed. One thing's for certain, this guy is anything but conventional. Even the "bell bottom" parts of his legs get folded up somewhere, and only half of each shin is visible in gun mode. His head sits ahead of the trigger guard. The inner parts of his knees fold back to form the back of the pistol below the hammer (the same part formed by Megs' head on the G1 toy).

I like this enough to pay the asking price, but I do find myself wishing that the transformation had been, like most of the third party and MP-05, mostly in keeping with the G1 toy. For some reason, I've always like that transformation scheme, and wish TT had kept it here. I have to agree with the observation that the upper torso just doesn't look good with all the folded bits clearly visible. Megs' chest and upper torso are quite iconic, and this fig lacks that clean look, with all the folded bits seen clearly instead. Fortunately, my Apollyon alleviates both criticisms.

I am foremost a fan of transforming toys, regardless of brand, and this figure presents a new puzzle to solve, and some very clever engineering, and on those grounds, as well as finally having an official Megatron, I look forward to having him in hand.

... will the ones from HLJ or wherever in Japan be allowed through customs without the orange plug?

If I recall, the answer is "maybe."

From the last Megatron, my recollection is that the more stock they're bringing in, the more likely customs is to care.

For the most part, US customs agents don't give a crap if you have a plastic robot coming in from Japan, or even three. But if you have a PALETTE of them, they are going to be spoilsports and enforce the letter of the law because it is too obvious to ignore(and that is BBTS' problem).

But there's always a CHANCE your order will be inspected by Officer Stick-up-the-butt and he'll insist it has to be confiscated.

Lol I had MMC Backdraft on pre-order for so long, then I read the early in hand reports complaining of some minor QC issues so I cancelled him and pre-ordered the TT version. Well, in hand pics of the official TT Inferno have now scared me away from him, he looks bad! That alt mode is so plain looking, I saw a pic of the back end that just looked like a red blob, not even tail lights, and his legs are so distractingly red and plain, I ended up cancelling my official MP Inferno, and now I'm double flip flopping and I'm grabbing a Backdraft! I love having options, we are truly in the golden age of high-end Transformers now, it seems you can get a figure that fits your tastes no matter what you are looking for in an MP.

DSCF2833.JPG

This is the pic I was referring to, it just looks bad. Yes I admit, I rarely display in alt mode, but at least earlier Autobots had sexy enough alt modes to consider leaving them in alt mode.