VF-171 Nightmare Plus CF

seti88

the antenna gets in the way of the gunpod and the backpack sticks out at an angle if you leave it on. you can take the antenna off completely, but I'm not sure about the radome.

anyways, I don't hate the VF-171, but I seriously question the mental stability of whoever designed it.

Weirdly it was the same guy that did the VF-17 for Yamato AFAIK.

Kinda crazy how the designs feel so divergent

If I could ask about the RVF-171 specifically, then, because it seems to have the least coverage online:

Does the belly antenna/wing make it impossible to attach the gunpod? And does it prevent the backpack from locking down flush like the normal 171EX? Finally, are any of the new parts (the belly antenna or the radome mount) removable, or are they built-in changes to the mold?

I love weird valks and that green-and-white color scheme is so sexy!

The antenna and radome are detachable, but i havent transformed mine into battroid cos i just love how sexy it looks in fighter.

The belly antenna has a joint to fold flat as well, for landing gear to be deployed in fighter mode.

From transformation video's i see that there is a piece you can attach on the back in battroid so that the backpack stays secure.

I do like the angle of the backpack with the antenna in battroid...its not plain and simple like an umbrella over the valk head and the antenna gives it a lil tail.... ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Seems it is in the pipe!

http://hobby.dengeki.com/event/180838/

attachicon.gifDSC_12234.jpg

EDIT: just realized that this thing is probably in 1:100 scale, but it is a good sign for the DX line anyway

Looks like the ones from this thread http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43375. Non scaled. Dig the tan color though.

I have the Alto VF-171 and It's great, though recently one of the wing pins was sheared off. It still works, and transforms but the wing can go a tad wonky if it gets bumped. Still I'd like to see improvements made, so that battroid mode is more solid. If they made a this and it wass improved, I'd buy it.

Charger, that looks more like a VF-25 / YF-25 / YF-29 upper intake than a VF-171 part as far I can tell.

VF-171 CF's don't really have hip problems. Most fo the issues are the shoulders and knees. A few VF-171's even have breaking swingbars that connect the top chest to the body in battroid. That's why I have so many VF-171's and pretty much part-swap to optimize each one.

The ones with strong hips and chest bars are put into battroid and use 3d-printed shoulders, triangles removed.

Fighter mode displays get the unbroken shoulder and lower triangles for maximum aesthetics.

Kinda sad it came to that but I bought 8/10 of my VF-171's at steep discounts due to them being broken :0

I hope if they every do another CF-171, they use the same plastic as the 171 exes cuz those have all been nothing but legit.

Edited by Duymon

more bumps will appear after ep 2 :p

oops wrong thread.. :p

But on the 171 i wonder if there will be a VF-171 hayate version :p

damaged and with one arm only :lol:

Very strong possibility of such a version. It will probably lose an arm or leg on it's own. ;)

I'd get another VF-171 if it came as a CF. But for Pete's sake, please do a renewal, and tighten up some of the mechanism, the swaying hips and the way the back connected left much to be desired. Still I like my triangle, though it needs a new wing pin...

The back connection isn't an issue for me. Most people forget the step where you got to fold the swingbars before you connect the back. Doing that allows the entire assembly to click in and it holds very tight.

As for the hips... yeah.. they are always kinda loose and out there.

The Back Connection is plenty solid, and I didn't have an issue with that. What I did have an issue with is how open and empty the figure looked the way bandai did it compared to the Yamato VF-17. I'd just like a better looking battroid.

The 17(1) underwent some major slimming down in the transition from 7 to Frontier, yes? Is it strange that the discrepancy between the Yam/Ban designs would be so huge considering the former is working off of line art and animation cels whereas the other is basing theirs off a 3D model?

That said I agree the Yamato 17 looks much more... aggressive? than the DX. More anime.

It's probaby that elongated nose that kinda make the VF-171 a lil crazy compared to the VF-17. It's gotta fold up...somehow.

Also the VF-17 is from the 90's where Kawamori made everything fat and stocky; not lanky thin like in Frontier and now Delta hehehe

Fatso

vf-17d-battroid.gif

Skeleton

vf-171ex-battroid.jpg

Edited by Duymon

The Back Connection is plenty solid, and I didn't have an issue with that. What I did have an issue with is how open and empty the figure looked the way bandai did it compared to the Yamato VF-17. I'd just like a better looking battroid.

I don't quite understand this comment. The back area of the Yamato VF-17 was its weakest point in battroid. Bandai's VF-171 looked much more solid and less gappy, especially when viewed from the side.

The way it all comes together is fine.. it's the way it all comes apart that's the problem. :p

Touché. I'd like to see the design improved is all. Maybe an extra locking mechanism for the back plate, a redesign on the shoulders, and stronger legs. Oh, and an improvement on the wings, integrated hardpoints and a more solid connection, none of those silly pins.

I thought it was to hide the attachment points for the stores when not using the additional parts set...

...which seems reasonable until you consider that the YF-30 has those same attachment points permanently, just so that you can use the 171 stores if you happen to own them.

The Pins are annoying but they were made to facilitate the parts swapping. I kinda wish Bandai just released the valks all with the hardpoint wings as default like on the VF-19 and YF-30.

Then they could have used a more solid and permanent wing mount.

However, on the CF's the wings are the least of our concerns.... actually they are one of the most stable parts on the CF's haha

Im starting to think the cannon fodder variants are slowly becoming my preferred type. Kinda getting over the fancy pants colors schemes of the main characters Valkyrie's. It would be nice if they pulled things back a little to a more realistic or more generic pattern like most real life air forces around the world do. Yes I know there still are some fancy looking squadrons out there but damn it would be nice if there wasn't so much over coloring going on.

Also.. not being such a big fan of the 171 to begin with but im quite diggin this! And I reckon I'd snap one up if they do release it!

1.jpg

Edited by spanner76