All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I'd actually like to see them give one final update to games that gives players the ability to setup peer to peer games if they still want to play online. No servers for developers to manage, and at least some usage still possible with the old games.

We also already have games that are lost FOREVER because the servers have been shut down and they either used always-online copy-protection or are online-only games.

The publishers do not have our best interests at heart. Once bound to internet-connectivity, a game has a finite, and possibly extremely short, lifespan.

I can still play Combat, Mine Storm, or Parsec TODAY.

One of these games was published by a company that simply no longer exists.

One was from a company that changed hands roughly umpteen-bajillion times, most notably once to an owner that killed all video-game-related projects.

One was from a company that simply hasn't been in the video game market as more than a parts supplier in almost thirty years.

On the other end of the spectrum, Tabula Rasa was only playable by ANYONE for a little over a year.

And this is ignoring that the game you love may not be the game you will own after the next patch rolls through.

This used to be optional(on the console side, it wasn't even an OPTION), but if the game MUST be connected to a central server, it becomes mandatory. And at the same time, patches have become more and more likely to actually change your gameplay experience.

If you're new to the game, you literally CAN'T see what the game was like before you started it.

If you aren't new, well... I hope your memory is good, because we're counting on you to tell future generations what version 1.0 of World of Warcraft was like. Good or bad, it's become one of the most influential games of the last decade. Please don't let it become another Super Mario Brothers. We don't even know WHEN that came out, but it at least has the excuse of being released at a time when people were convinced video games were dead forever.

This is the future. As someone with a strong interest in the history of video games, It is not something I'm happy about.

A friend of mine got royally pissed off at EA for shutting down the servers for their older games, and now he can't get the rest of the Achievements for his Army of Two series and ohter EA games. I heard his conversation with the EA telephone operator (he had his mic on so his conversation was heard clearly by the XBL party), and let's just say more than a few f(oxtrot) you's were hurled her way. It gets even better, he got a call back from a manager at EA and he ripped into that person as well.

On that note---playing old games. If the new systems require online access etc, how long do you expect them to keep things running? If this requirement had happened long ago, do you think the Xenogears, Super Metroid, and Jet Set Radio Future servers would still be going, and could you still play an old, but much-loved game?

MS etc always argue "when Madden 2012 comes out, nobody wants to play Madden 2011".

True. But lots of games never get sequels, and aren't part of a mega-franchise like Call of Duty etc. And sometimes the new version sucks. ::cough, Ace Combat, cough:: A lot of people do want to keep playing the old games because they're still fun/the best version out there.

Hell, yeah I like playing the classics! I too like to pop in Xenogears in from time to time, and I do agree that the game is the best in the Xenosaga series.

Ace Combat 4 & 5, Legend of Dragoon, Jet Moto, Gundam Battle Assault, Metal Gear Solid 3, and others are still golden to me. Good times. I remember there used to be a certain quality when you would go to a video rental place (while they were transitioning from tapes to DVD's) and you hoped your favorite game wasn't taken by someone else. :ph34r:

Wow, I thought I was the only person on the planet who genuinely liked that game. (still hate the timing for many moves though)

I know at least one other person that does.

No, not me.

As far as old game roll call, I've been rockin' me some Crystalis lately.

It's leagues better than the last two games.

The controls seem a litle easier this time around, but then again I'm one of those types who put their weapons on one side of the controller and boosters on the opposite end. Strategy is very apparent and encouraged unlike 4A where quick-boosting and AP-whittling was dominant. I just can't wait to unlock the Grind Blade for my Indigo Haze. >=D

Legend of Dragoon, ahhhh yeah. I definitely loved the story, but I had to get used to the timing combat for a while. Haschel was a prick! =(

It's leagues better than the last two games.

The controls seem a litle easier this time around, but then again I'm one of those types who put their weapons on one side of the controller and boosters on the opposite end. Strategy is very apparent and encouraged unlike 4A where quick-boosting and AP-whittling was dominant. I just can't wait to unlock the Grind Blade for my Indigo Haze. >=D

So if a completely new player like me were to just jump into Armored Core V, would it be too much of a learning curve, like the IGN review said? Would I know that's the story about? I know that For Answer was a reboot [didn't get the game because it was only released in Japan], but the IGN review didn't mention much about the plot.

The review also mention that "the game can be dry if you only play offline," and I'm a strictly offline player. Would this game be a total waste of my money?

I thought we established you were looking at a review for Assasin's Creed, not Armored Core. Revelations isn't an Armored Core subtitle.

And who plays Armored Core for the plot?

And For Answer was NOT Japan-exclusive. I own it, it's sitting on a shelf next to me.

Still in the shrinkwrap. I've GOT to stop setting games down and forgetting about them.

Noone plays Armored Core for the plot, but as a game that had no server-based online for eleven games straight, they usually had a decent narrative. Master of Arena and AC2 in particular had a good story, along with the first half of the AC3-Last Raven arc. Hell, even 4-fA had a decent story, and 4 would have made more sense were it not for the fact that Sega decided to not translate several critical plot details. ACV's single-player is frankly the worst in the series, even moreso because of the fact that your offline status and online status are split.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

Wow, I thought I was the only person on the planet who genuinely liked that game. (still hate the timing for many moves though)

I loved legend of the dragoon :ph34r: Although, tbh, I could have done without that timed button pressing to progress attacks. I was only like 6 or 7 when the game came out, so I didn't have much experience with videogames at the time, making it quite difficult.

In other news, did anyone else pick up that Metal Gear 2 and 3 are making it onto the PSV in an HD collection remake? I just found out, which is pretty exciting as I skipped the HD remake for PS3, and will surely pick this one up..

Armored Core 4 started it's own universe and story with 4A as a direct sequel. 4A in particular was widely popular as a story in Japan with many artists on Pixiv drawing many of the pilots and operators. AC5 though, has a HORRENDOUS story. I'm just starting it, myself, but wow I don't know what the frell is going on. One mission you're working for the company and the next you're on the resistance. WTF?!

The MGS HD collection is just the start and it's been out for a little bit now. Next I hear coming soon were the Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill HD collections.

I thought we established you were looking at a review for Assasin's Creed, not Armored Core. Revelations isn't an Armored Core subtitle.

And who plays Armored Core for the plot?

And For Answer was NOT Japan-exclusive. I own it, it's sitting on a shelf next to me.

Still in the shrinkwrap. I've GOT to stop setting games down and forgetting about them.

Actually, it's the other way around. I saw the Armored Core V review, and later read Archer's post that mentioned AC Revelations. Might have been the morning drowsiness, but I didn't notice the difference, and took AC to mean Armored Core.

No one play Armored Core for the plot? Never knew that; I've never played the game before, just built a couple of Kotobukiya model kits and was curious about the game itself.

The reason I thought For Answer was Japan exclusive was because I didn't notice IGN releasing a review for it [damn them and their new review list arrangement].

Noone plays Armored Core for the plot, but as a game that had no server-based online for eleven games straight, they usually had a decent narrative. Master of Arena and AC2 in particular had a good story, along with the first half of the AC3-Last Raven arc. Hell, even 4-fA had a decent story, and 4 would have made more sense were it not for the fact that Sega decided to not translate several critical plot details. ACV's single-player is frankly the worst in the series, even moreso because of the fact that your offline status and online status are split.

In that case, I'll pass on this. Being a strictly offline player, if the single player missions are bad, it's of no use to me.

Armored Core 4 started it's own universe and story with 4A as a direct sequel. 4A in particular was widely popular as a story in Japan with many artists on Pixiv drawing many of the pilots and operators. AC5 though, has a HORRENDOUS story. I'm just starting it, myself, but wow I don't know what the frell is going on. One mission you're working for the company and the next you're on the resistance. WTF?!

The MGS HD collection is just the start and it's been out for a little bit now. Next I hear coming soon were the Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill HD collections.

Well, so much for my first Armored Core game. I guess I'll save the cash for the Zone of the Enders HD collection, then.

I've just finished replaying Legend of Dragoon last month, after over a decade or so. Loving the world, cities, and the music. Characters are bit cliche though, but bonds between them are well developed. Other than additions that hard to master there are many weird design choices for that game. Like, limiting inventory to just 32 items. And I wish I can change additions mid-battle so it'd be less monotonous. To hear Dart yelling "Volcano!" over and over again is grating.

Sega is the BEST publisher. Am I right, or am I right?

Even better when you consider the fact that in the US, the PS3 version never got the final regulation. One of the things it did was expand the total amount of FRS memory you could have, which was important because the unpatched version of the game didn't have enough. This meant you couldn't use the top ranking schematics, as they exceeded your total amount.

Of course, Sega was responsible for implementing the patches for the US version, and the 360 got full support.

In case anyone is still on the fence about GSBD

Oh, I'm buying it... if only to have an actual Vita game to play, instead of buying PSP games I already own on UMD from the Vita's PlayStation store...

I've got to wonder, but do you guys just roll with Japanese dialogue when you buy games from Japan (assuming you don't know Japanese) or are there emulators for English subtitles or anything?

Just roll with the Japanese dialogue. For games like the Macross & Gundam Battle PSP/Vita games, most of the important menu options are in english, or incredibly easy to figure out.

For anyone who regretted buying Ace Combat Assault Horizon for the 360, you might want to think twice before trading it in to GameStop. Macross_Fanboy discovered that US gamers can indeed download the Macross skins for this game. I've confirmed this and wrote up thorough tutorial here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/1648/confirmed-usa-xbox-360-gamers-can-download-macross-vf-1-skins-for-ace-combat-assault-horizon/

A huge thanks to Macross_Fanboy for being the Guinea Pig! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Side-track'ing here.  The story for Armored Core 5 suddenly got more interesting and understandable when I played through all the missions.

I'd actually buy the game if this is the case. Then again, my wallet's pretty tight right now, since I've got an airbrush/compressor set to buy next week. Talk about unfortunate timing.

As much of a game nerd as I am, I have to say that the airbrush and compressor will give you many more hours of enjoyment than any game ever could. Plus a sense of accomplishing something real. :lol:

I was actually tempted to try GW2, but honestly, I was disappointed when I watched the combat videos, expecting something far more unique. I'm personally a lot more interested in Phantasy Star Online II, though I'm concerned a bit about what the change to a free-to-play model will do to it. I was considering paying anyway, but most "free-to-play" games have a way of costing more in the long run.

I'd actually buy the game if this is the case. Then again, my wallet's pretty tight right now, since I've got an airbrush/compressor set to buy next week. Talk about unfortunate timing.

Ouch... that sucks indeed. I can give you a hint about the story though. It's only the tutorial mission that will mess you up.

Airbrushing giving satisfaction? Take a look at the emblem work Japanese players have done with only the limited tools in-game (Valkyrie @ 0:21).

I really want to get in GW2 by the way, but I may wait a month or two before I do a pre-purchase. As a casual player of the first game, I'm thankful that they both simplified the skill system and yet added more functions to make it interesting.

Edited by Alexander Del Sua

Hey all, the last post that I have seen about Hawken was from the last post of VG thread 2, and beta sign ups are on at: http://www.playhawken.com/index.php?ref=FF50307B.

BTW, thank you for the 16min 39 sec decal video, in which a couple of those minutes I will never get back. :D I maybe crazy, but not insane to watch all 16 minutes.

As much of a game nerd as I am, I have to say that the airbrush and compressor will give you many more hours of enjoyment than any game ever could. Plus a sense of accomplishing something real. :lol:

Right you are. The satisfaction of the build is something you can't find no matter how many trophies you bag in a game. Plus, the final product of a completed build is a lot more tangible and long lasting.

I can't be bothered to replay even recent games I've played through, but that AC Aaliyah Krasnaya I built a year back still brings a silly grin to my face.

Honestly, games nowadays just don't last as long as they seemed to back in the PS2 era.

Ouch... that sucks indeed. I can give you a hint about the story though. It's only the tutorial mission that will mess you up.

Airbrushing giving satisfaction? Take a look at the emblem work Japanese players have done with only the limited tools in-game (Valkyrie @ 0:21).

Tutorial? I usually skip over those, but I heard AC V's learning curve is pretty steep.

Man, those are some intricate custom emblems. I never knew they actually had an airbrush feature in the game's customization system. Now I'm even more stoked about getting my first airbrush/compressor set! Off-Topic mode initiated: It's going to be a cheap entry-level Tamiya basic with a single-action trigger AB (don't you just love budget constraints?), but I doubt I can handle anything more advanced for now.

Heh.. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to start my White Glint kit. Got both it and the booster sitting in my closet, but just the thought of cutting that many pieces off of plastic sprues, and cleaning them up for assembly makes my fingers hurt. :lol:

That is pretty impressive for an emblem editor.. but really, I don't enjoy online pvp enough to want to spend any time developing a fancy image just so I can show it off to some guy for 10 seconds before he puts a missile through it. ^_^ I'd much rather be building complete mods for PC games than anything else.

Heh.. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to start my White Glint kit. Got both it and the booster sitting in my closet, but just the thought of cutting that many pieces off of plastic sprues, and cleaning them up for assembly makes my fingers hurt. :lol:

If anything, AC kits are notorious for having a massive number of small parts. LOL, I still shudder at the memory of gluing on those tiny thruster nozzles on the back of my Krasnaya with a tweezer. Fricking nightmare.

BTW, is that emblem editor only for online mode?