Volume 4 is OUTSTANDING!!! Excellent character moments in this set as well.

Also, is the new ending song one of the previously mentioned Yamato All-Stars performances. It sounds like a completely different song sung by a woman ( sorry I don't know her name) and I find it hauntingly beautiful.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Volume 4 is OUTSTANDING!!! Excellent character moments in this set as well.

Also, is the new ending song one of the previously mentioned Yamato All-Stars performances. It sounds like a completely different song sung by a woman ( sorry I don't know her name) and I find it hauntingly beautiful.

Chris

The All Stars and JAM Project will perform the end song for chapters 5 and 6 and the new opening for the TV release. The song in the chapter 4 episodes is "Kioku no Mirai (Light of Memories" and is sung by KOKIA. I posted the song (in it's full version along with the movie version credits) a couple weeks ago. :)

http://youtu.be/2raiTeMHTA4

chara_img_miki.jpg

未来. Miki, hm. When we read it as "Mirai," it means "future" in Japanese. As you know "kodai" means "ancient (era)." What will she do in the story? And what has become of the relation between she and he? I am looking forward to it.

Edited by antibiotictab

Indeed, the kanji read Mirai, but the hiragana spell her name as Miki, as does the official site html adress, so i guess that is her actual name. As for her part in chapter 4, she takes Yuki's station in episode 14, while Yuki is out, much like Yuria did in episode 5. She appeared in episode 7 too. She was a class mate of Kitano and is a good friend of his.

Edited by westfall

未来. Miki, hm. When we read it as "Mirai," it means "future" in Japanese. As you know "kodai" means "ancient (era)." What will she do in the story? And what has become of the relation between she and he? I am looking forward to it.

Even if she accomplishes nothing in the story, her beautiful presence is certainly appreciated. The art in this series is remarkable. I...am...in....love...

Yamato 2199 started screening from Apr 7, 2012 and will start broadcasting from Apr 7, 2013.

Yes, Apr 7 was THE DAY the battleship Yamato sank in 1945...

Starblazers fans may not know the scenes from Yamato below.

Edited by antibiotictab

I really like that part of the original Yamato, the animation is very good - considering none of it would be used later in the series, and the US flier giving the Yamato a salute was a nice touch (in reality most of them probably gave it the equivalent of the finger while admitting it put up one hell of a fight before going under, but a nice touch none the less)

I really like that part of the original Yamato, the animation is very good - considering none of it would be used later in the series, and the US flier giving the Yamato a salute was a nice touch (in reality most of them probably gave it the equivalent of the finger while admitting it put up one hell of a fight before going under, but a nice touch none the less)

Yeah, in reading "A Glorious Way to Die", it didn't seem like the US side was very concerned with the ettiquette of giving the sinking ship and it's crew any sort salute. They were still pretty pissed at the Japanese at the time and I read that some US fliers didn't hesiate to hose down (with bullets) survivors after the sinking.

Yeah, in reading "A Glorious Way to Die", it didn't seem like the US side was very concerned with the ettiquette of giving the sinking ship and it's crew any sort salute. They were still pretty pissed at the Japanese at the time and I read that some US fliers didn't hesiate to hose down (with bullets) survivors after the sinking.

Neither side gave much of a damn for protocol or ettiquette in the Pacific Campaign. It was a brutal, ugly, disgusting conflict. It didn't help that Japan while signing the geneva convention on POWs didn't ratify it. When word of prisoner treatment and atrocities got back to the allies it made a bad situation worse. By the end the allies had to issue orders forcing soldiers not to kill anyone surrendering just to get intel, while the Japanese issued orders to systematically kill all pows in their camps. Nearly 30% of western allied pows died in captivity with the Chinese having it much worse. Of the hundreds of thousands Chinese taken prisoner only 56 were repatriated. On the Japanese side of things once a captured soldier surrendered to the allies and was removed from the front their surival rate skyrocketed. POWs were rare though due to indoctrination that suicide is preferable to capture, that allies killed surrendering soldiers on sight, and to surrender would mean you would be an outcast who would not be able to return home. The average Japanese soldier was not made aware of what the Geneva convention was, or that the allies followed it, part of which is the imforming of the enemy of who they have prisoner. The Japanese war office withheld these names from their own people to keep up the pretense that no Japanese soldier surrendered, and fought to the death.

Note: I'm aware of the policy here on "political statements", and I took that under consideration while trying to explain the historical context of WII Pacific Campaign's beligerents attitudes towards each other. If I have violated the policy I apologize, and accept full dicipline.

Well, I just wanted to say about the importance of the day for the Battleship Yamato and Space Battleship Yamato.

In 2199, the wrecked Yamato is just an imitation, but the creators of the anime may have paid homage to the Yamato in WWII and the day.

Because of that part of the video, many Japanese fans have sentimental feelings toward the Yamato in WWII, after all Space Battleship Yamato's boom was so awesome in the late 70s. "A social phenomenon," it was.

Almost the same thing is that pixer's “Cars” and Route 66's story. I recently know about Route 66. Many of us here don't know it, but in America, the people understand what the creators want to say immediately.

To know the background knowledge of its story is so interesting. It's all I want to say...

Neither side gave much of a damn for protocol or ettiquette in the Pacific Campaign. It was a brutal, ugly, disgusting conflict. It didn't help that Japan while signing the geneva convention on POWs didn't ratify it. When word of prisoner treatment and atrocities got back to the allies it made a bad situation worse. By the end the allies had to issue orders forcing soldiers not to kill anyone surrendering just to get intel, while the Japanese issued orders to systematically kill all pows in their camps. Nearly 30% of western allied pows died in captivity with the Chinese having it much worse. Of the hundreds of thousands Chinese taken prisoner only 56 were repatriated. On the Japanese side of things once a captured soldier surrendered to the allies and was removed from the front their surival rate skyrocketed. POWs were rare though due to indoctrination that suicide is preferable to capture, that allies killed surrendering soldiers on sight, and to surrender would mean you would be an outcast who would not be able to return home. The average Japanese soldier was not made aware of what the Geneva convention was, or that the allies followed it, part of which is the imforming of the enemy of who they have prisoner. The Japanese war office withheld these names from their own people to keep up the pretense that no Japanese soldier surrendered, and fought to the death.

Note: I'm aware of the policy here on "political statements", and I took that under consideration while trying to explain the historical context of WII Pacific Campaign's beligerents attitudes towards each other. If I have violated the policy I apologize, and accept full dicipline.

I wouldn't count that as politics. It's a history lesson for many, so don't sweat it.

Anyway, back to the clip, it was a nice touch either way. It would have been cool to see some updated animation of that scene. I can't recall there being any decent animation about the IJN Yamato.

A glimer of hope for those who, like me, have been wanting a proper artbook of Yamato 2199. SBY2199 Official Cells has been announced for a May 30th release. No details yet on price or number of pages. Before that, on April 10th, SBY2199 Guide Book DVD comes out, costing 980¥. This seems more like a magazine type thing, with a DVD with interviews and some promo material, geared to support the TV airing that starts a few days earlier, on April 7th.

http://www.mag-garden.co.jp/yamato2199books/index.html

So, here are my UN fleet set 1 and Yamato. I have another Yamato on order when it is rereleased (I want to try again). Pictures kind of suck, especially the Yamato ones, as it's hard to see the subtle weathering. I want to make a base that will display all the ships together, but haven't got around to it yet. I'm hoping the rerelease of the Yamato will include the decals for Yamato that came with the fleet set. Next up are the Garmilas fleet set and the Cosmo Zero.

2013-03-07_14-46-29_16_zpsc6f153c4.jpg 2013-03-07_14-46-37_354_zpsf897d2ef.jpg

2013-03-07_14-46-46_409_zps687e0cbf.jpg

2013-03-07_14-47-04_736_zpsa99ed6f5.jpg

2013-03-07_14-47-17_273_zps3702912c.jpg

2013-03-07_14-47-35_879_zpsb68cd504.jpg

2013-03-07_14-47-47_204_zpsc606d6ee.jpg

2013-03-07_14-49-04_676_zps4537695c.jpg

2013-03-07_14-49-22_885_zps4484ef4b.jpg

2013-03-07_14-54-17_111_zpse577f541.jpg

2013-03-07_14-55-41_472_zps46e2428d.jpg

Chris

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. Chapter 5's trailer is here, with a bang. A MASSIVE BANG!!!

Dessler was assassinated? And why Yuria Misaki was talking about the Iscandar of the past?

And Yabu and the others betray at this point? Not after leaving the Iscandar?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I must admit I have watched the live action and would like to watch the anime.

Please tell me Yamato fans, where do I start?

(Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to ask.)

If you are more used to newer anime then 2199 is as good of a place to start as any. Start at chapter 1. Soon we will get chapter 5.

The japanese blurays are region free and have english subs

There will be 7 chapters in total. If you want something to watch once you've caught up and are waiting for the next chapter, maybe try the original movie versions.

Looks like pretty heavy duty shields being used by the Yamato. Anybody notice that? They HAD to do it though, if they were were going to realistically portray the ship surviving such a massive confrontation......