1/60 Yamato Regult H.D.P. Material Questions

OmegaD3k

Hi everyone,

Most of the kits I’ve built in the past were injection kits, and since I have no experience with Heavy Duty Polyurethane (HDP), I got a few questions regarding this kind of material:

The plastic pieces have a soft surface, with almost a powder-like look and feel to it. At first I thought the pieces were actually covered in some kind of material since they reacted/got darker to moisture or water (I could see my finger-prints, and other smudges), but they reverted back to their powder-like look and lighter grey tones after a few seconds.

1.) Will this powder-like material affect which type of paints I use?

2.) Can I use (Tamiya) Acrylic spray paints for HDP (I’ll use Tamiya White Surface Primer first)?

3.) Is it advisable to rinse/wash all pieces with water first, before working with them?

4.) Would normal plastic model kit cement/glue work with HDP, or should I use super-glue?

5.) Is there anything else to know about working with HDP?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D I’ve been looking for 1/60 Regult topics, but couldn’t find any which covered this topic. >.<

post-4879-0-10569200-1326751000_thumb.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

I have this kit, and by the feel of it, it has almost the exact same feel as bondo, which accepts paint very well. That "soaking" aspect of this material makes it great for absorbing the paint, and on a micro level, will probably cure some of it slighly lower than the exterior most material. This should help it to bond better than straight ABS plastic, from the look and feel of it.

As far as the type of paint, You should be able to go with any type. For me, I plan to use either an enamel or something similar in strength, after a good primer. Maybe there's someone who knows more about this material, but in painting over bondo (a strong putty used mainly in the auto industry), it seems this is very similar in feel, but don't know about the performance qualities of it. This stuff is great, in that it is flexible, but very strong.

Thanks for the reply! The HDP material does feel a bit like hard putty. While test-rinsing a piece with some warm water, it began to feel like clay, and for a moment it looked as if the piece could easily be deformed, but thankfully that didn’t happen.

This HDP plastic is pretty interesting to say the least. It’s unlike resin or anything else I’ve worked with. It’s pretty durable, too. It looks like the final Regult could easily survive a fall or two off a tall shelf.

Don't even mention that :lol:

As soon as I receive my second Regult I'll start building it.

Wow, I commend you for a second one. I'd love to get a second, but just to have one is good for me. My airbrush is itching for the regult, but he's gonna have to wait a bit.

Wow, I commend you for a second one. I'd love to get a second, but just to have one is good for me. My airbrush is itching for the regult, but he's gonna have to wait a bit.

EXO helped me getting a second one (it's on it's way to me)!! it's so cool I'll build and paint one and leave the other as it was a prototype.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinkin the blue may be a bit too dark. Then again, it may just be the lighting.

Yes, the darker blue was my choice. I like the contrast with the light gray. I'll see how it turns out in a piece with the flat clear coat.

I actually am really liking the color of blue you chose. What kind of paints are you using? Also, did you prime it first?

I'm spray painting it with enamels (two coats) and then a flat clear coat. I'm waiting a week for the enamel coats to fully dry, and I've already tested the flat clear coat on some pieces. Very satisfied with the flat finish.

I'm not using primer because of the texture of the hdp resin, the paint adheres very well to it. I will use primer for the legs though, to see any imperfections after sanding because I'll use putty to get rid of all the seam lines.

I like how it looks so far, Ignacio.

Thank you!! Will post more progress pics tomorrow.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...