MG rex is on the way

WOOT! I thought this project had become vaporware, but I guess not. And double WOOT! to the making of a RAY soon.

I wonder if it'll come with LEDs or anything, for such a big figure....

WWell they already showed off the awesome LED's for the rail gun. maybe there will be more. But yeah, ThreeA does not disappoint. ever :ph34r:

^Do you know if they will be making any "pilot" figs to sit in the mouth, like Snake or Raiden?

Also, any pics of said LEDs? i haven't seen them...

play the video man:

BTW, they put this on their blog back in May.

At 400 USD a pop, it's WAY too rich for my blood.

hold on a second, where is this $400 coming from? No price has been announced so there's no telling how much it will cost until it comes out. but regardless of how much they end up charging it will be a damn good deal for something as massive and detailed as what you get.

Idk. Compared to 2 1/60 yamatos when on sale.

Yeah, but that's two triple-changing figures for one non-transforming fig.

I realize that the REX is really well-built and all, but that kind of price for a single figure, even one at that size...to me, I personally find it rather expensive.

Trust me, if I could afford it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

hold on a second, where is this $400 coming from? No price has been announced so there's no telling how much it will cost until it comes out. but regardless of how much they end up charging it will be a damn good deal for something as massive and detailed as what you get.

I remember someone mentioning that price back in the first page. Or was it 30,000 yen? Which is somewhere around the same as 400 US.

Either way, I agree that it's an awesome fig. The LED's on the railgun is pure win. Personally, though, I just don't think I can spend that much on it. I guess you could say it's just out of my self-imposed budget.

Hi mates!

Geez I just stumble on an amazing announcement:

ThreeA toys is gonna release a huge, fully articulated MG Rex for the end of the year.

Sorry I cannot post pictures but you will find them easily.

It's awesome and Ray is next.

Am I the only one who read this and thought that some company is releasing a Bandai style MG figure of Rex the biker girl from Macross 7, and that Ray the keyboardist from Firebomber is the next figure?

what a let down... :rolleyes:

Pete

Am I the only one who read this and thought that some company is releasing a Bandai style MG figure of Rex the biker girl from Macross 7, and that Ray the keyboardist from Firebomber is the next figure?

what a let down... :rolleyes:

Pete

Yes you're the only one who thought that. You also made the exact same joke when this thread first started months ago. But hey, repetition makes everything funnier. ;)

Yes you're the only one who thought that. You also made the exact same joke when this thread first started months ago. But hey, repetition makes everything funnier. ;)

Damn - you outed me. Ok - I'll come clean:

The truth is that I don't exist, I am actually a spambot that is pre-programed with 1001 spiffy phrases and prefabricated "opinions." My programer sometimes forgets to update me to a new version and I loop and repeat myself like an old record :p

Pete

With exploding shoulders (at times).

Think of it as the center piece of your collection.

LOL! Can't argue about the potentially exploding shoulders. :lol:

But yeah, if I had the extra cash to spare [and I'd have to abstain from buying any figs for the next three to four months to have that kind of cash] REX would definitely make an awesome centerpiece for my mech collection.

Frankly, that thing is detailed enough to be more than a mere toy or figure, but a sculpture or a piece of articulated pop art. It wouldn't look out of place if you displayed it among a shelf of legitimate metal sculptures crafted by bona fide artists.

• 1 month later...

IT LIVES!!!

3A toys' obscenely large metal gear Rex is in fact still happening. New pictures of the updated prototype (sans legs) were cerculated in their latest 3Avox news letter with the following information:

So, if you're interested (and you should be) hit up 3A's production blog and official legion forum for more information.

http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/

http://www.threeaonline.com/forum/

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

r6.jpg

and for those of you who don't know or forgot about how big this sucker is, here's the original prototype.

dsc03851e.jpg

I would kill anyone in the Zentraedi bitten by one of these ...

Where and when can I buy this :p

Honestly, the money I had saved for a Yamato Vf-17 or Bandai Vf-25S armored is going toward this. Totally more worth it in my opinion. I just hope that it comes with a little snake pilot figure to round out the deal :D

Also, if you're listening 3A toys, please don't use the color scheme of the prototype, but rather, the awesome camo seen in MGS4. Thank You!

Edit: Just saw that pre-orders open up in january. I don't have too much experience with 3A toys. Will this be a statue or actually posable?

I don't really want to drop this much on a statue....

Edited by Archer

It's fantastic. But expect limited production and lot of Dollaz for shipping!

Still hoping Bandai Tamashi or Riobot will still do one at a more reasonable price and scale...

Well then again since Square did do the mechs of Peace Walker along with it's characters, expect the Rex to soon follow as they are releasing the MGS1 figures...

Hey Anime, do you know (you seem to have a lot of experience with them) if 3A toys does weathered or rusted looks exclusively, or if they are willing to do more gamesque color schemes (like the look of Rex in MGS4). It'll be a real bummer if they go with the rust.

For a technological giant, and one of that value, I don't think rust looks great, or is even appropriate for that matter....

Generally their stuff is always weathered to some degree, though how extreme they go varies pretty greatly form release to release. nobody knows for sure what the paint work will look like until we see painted samples (which tend to show up right before preorders go up), but I'm leaning more towards a subtle weathered look. Some paint wear and staining but not full on rust bucket.

also, just hitting up the 3A boards for a second, word is that it will come with a tiny snake figure based on shinkawa's art and will be released in 3 colorways: regular, desert and snow.