The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Guest davidwhangchoi

This is a great read for those who want to know jetfire's complicated history as well as other transformers. it includes Marvel comics Jim Shooter naming Optimus Prime. (maybe it's Denny O'Neill who actually named Prime)

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/transformers/31240/the-strange-story-of-jetfire-and-other-transformers-toys

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Great history!

I remembered, as a kid growing up in America, I didn’t speak a word of English, but that didn't stop me from rushing home from school just so that I could catch my favorite cartoon, the Transformers. Seeing “robots in disguise” was the coolest thing ever. Jetfire was one of my favorite toys, although I couldn’t afford one, but at least I got to play with one.

This is a great read for those who want to know jetfire's complicated history as well as other transformers. it includes Marvel comics Jim Shooter naming Optimus Prime. (maybe it's Denny O'Neill who actually named Prime)

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/transformers/31240/the-strange-story-of-jetfire-and-other-transformers-toys

That was a fun read. Besides a peak into some of the Transformers history my main takeaway is this;

WHERE THE HELL IS A MASTERPIECE RATCHET AND IRONHIDE????

-b.

Yeah his collection isn't amazing.

I'd say his single most expensive piece is the third party devistator clocking in at around $350 used.

I bet the Fort Max is the re-issue. $250.

He's probably got around 2 grand in MP's.

Maybe a few grand in opend... maybe complete G1's. I know my complete Metroplex is like $110.

I really don't see how he spent another 25+ grand on chugs to clog up his room. Even if he has more G1's than I can tell...

Maybe he got ripped off.

Edited by Gakken85

I'm not familiar enough with Spacebrick to know what's going on there... he's like Jetfire? There's a robot that turns into a pointy space brick, and he wears armor that that makes him a blockier space brick in alt mode? Or something else?

I'm not familiar enough with Spacebrick to know what's going on there... he's like Jetfire? There's a robot that turns into a pointy space brick, and he wears armor that that makes him a blockier space brick in alt mode? Or something else?

i'm not a star saber expert but i think saber is the space brick that turns into the smaller bot. the other flying space brick is not armor for the other space brick (they fly separately) but does transform into the "armor" (if you will) that turns saber into star saber? sort of like powermaster optimus prime in that regard...the trailer doesn't have it own separate bot mode...space brick #2 doesn't have its own bot mode so far as i know.

The bottom two pics are the headmaster, and the smaller red fighter jet. The top two are the main robot form and the cybertronic spacecraft.

From TFwiki:

Star Saber transforms into a large red, blue and white Cybertronic spacecraft with numerous features and modes.
The forward section of the spacecraft, "Saber", can detach from the larger spacecraft body (known by itself as the V-Star) to form a smaller red fighter jet, the cockpit of which houses the small Brainmaster figure, the "Brain of Courage". When Saber transforms into robot mode, the Brain of Courage is placed within his chest; when the chest is closed, the figure rises up to become Saber's face. The jet nosecone mounts on Saber's shoulder as a shield, and he can wield the "Saber Laser" rifle.
In grand Autobot leader tradition, the V-Star ship transforms into a battle station which Saber can man, and then into a larger body with which Saber can combine, forming "Star Saber". Saber slots into the empty chest area of the V-Star body, with his normal robot head forming Star Saber's ordinary, unmasked head, which is the appearance he commonly employs in fiction when he is not in battle. His battle helmet, featuring an Optimus-Prime-style mouthplate, is connected to the V-Star, and can swing up to fit over Saber's head.
In Star Saber mode, Saber's nosecone/shield becomes a sword hilt. The chromed "Saber Blade" of the sword stores in a slot in Star Saber's back, and is drawn by inserting the hilt into the slot and withdrawing it, an action which brings the blade with it, and which is regularly used to dramatic effect in the Victory animated series. He can also wield the Saber Laser. Star Saber can further combine with Victory Leo to form Victory Saber in both vehicle and super robot modes

.714px-G1_StarSaber_toy.jpgG1_Saber_toy.jpg

It's going to be awesome to see all these forms in the MP version.

Edited by Gakken85

Literally laughed out loud when I read that...

What I keep focusing on every time I see that scan is Ultra Magnus' butt flap. I really hope that doesn't make it into the final product, but at this point I think it may be a forgone conclusion since it shows up in every picture.

-b.

Meh. Nothing like an Optimus Prime figure that A.) looks nothing like Optimus Prime, and B.) doesn't look like it can transform at all. I'm not really digging the samurai deco either. Nice for those who like it, but it's completely pointless IMO.

I think I'm just done with Transformers. When it was $10 for a decent-sized Classics deluxe of some of my favorite characters, it was cool. But these days, it's like $18 for a "Deluxe" that would have been a Scout a few years ago, For CHUGs they're either mining obscure characters (Scoop) or releasing characters that were already in the CHUGs line (Bumblebee), they're clogging the shelves with really bad movie toys, and every time they come out with a line for a cartoon it's really just filler that's going to get canceled when the next movie comes (Prime). The only really nice toys are the Masterpieces, which you can either import ("shipping isn't bad, as long as you order way more stuff than you actually wanted!"), or try to find domestically as a TRU exclusive (you have a better chance of winning the lottery).

Transformers just aren't fun anymore.

Meanwhile, discovering a PSP emulator made me rediscover my love of the Gundam Battle series, which made me rediscover my love of Gundam, which led me to watch Gundam Build Fighters, which rekindled my interest in Gundam models, which led me to discover the Real Grade series, which it turns out are reasonably priced, incredibly detailed, and where all my disposable income is going.

Meh. Nothing like an Optimus Prime figure that A.) looks nothing like Optimus Prime, and B.) doesn't look like it can transform at all. I'm not really digging the samurai deco either. Nice for those who like it, but it's completely pointless IMO.

A. It's not optimus prime

B. Anything can transform... They make pens and boom boxes turn into robots.

C. That's the original color scheme.

Mike - It's funny that you say that since you hate Star saber, and yet he basically looks like the FF-X7 core booster... even parts of the transformation are similar.

Edited by Gakken85

A. It's not optimus prime

B. Anything can transform... They make pens and boom boxes turn into robots.

C. That's the original color scheme.

Mike - It's funny that you say that since you hate Star saber, and yet he basically looks like the FF-X7 core booster... even parts of the transformation are similar.

you are talking star saber...he i stalking DMK-03. lol. i agree teh design of movie prime 4...doesn't even look like it can tranform. they just made a robotic knight. there is nary a hint of vehicle kibble anywhere.

I don't hate Spacebrick, and I don't think I've ever said that I do. What I have said, is that I don't care about Spacebrick, because unlike Optimus and the gang Spacebrick had nothing to do with my childhood, so I have zero interested in an MP version of him.

And for what it's worth, I never liked the Core Booster. There's only one place a Core Fighter belongs, and that's in Gundam's abdomen.

you are talking star saber...he i stalking DMK-03. lol. i agree teh design of movie prime 4...doesn't even look like it can tranform. they just made a robotic knight. there is nary a hint of vehicle kibble anywhere.

Ah my bad.

Ha, thanks Gakken85, i guess i'll have to wait and see...

Mikeszekely, I love gundam and macross as well, but I am sticking with the Masterpiece line. I've got enough Gundams and Macross figures, and these Masterpiece figures are as close to my dreams in 1985 as they get :)

I am so turned off by the movie figures, i got rid of nearly all of my previous Bay figures. I gave them to my co-workers' kids and they love them, apparently...

[i still have a BNIB Human Alliance Jazz, and a loose Human Alliance BumbleBee if anyone is interested]

Is it so hard to make a movie with the original desigsn and with a decent plot? Apparently it is...

sorry guys, I guess i just got done watching the 4th movie...

Edited by vlenhoff

Yeah I don't know why anybody would collect anything other than MP's to be honest.... I can understand G1 collectors, but I had a lot of those as a kid so they aren't that sacred to me. Still have all the ones I loved when I sold off my old stuff from childhood.

Edited by Gakken85

Yeah I don't know why anybody would collect anything other than MP's to be honest.... I can understand G1 collectors, but I had a lot of those as a kid so they aren't that sacred to me. Still have all the ones I loved when I sold off my old stuff from childhood.

Some people just like to have fun things to play with; and occasionally there's some cool, fun to play with stuff released to retail that isn't MP.

Edited by anime52k8