Would prefer DVI, but VGA is acceptable. (since I currently am using a DVI-VGA adapter anyways)

Do they have this one at your local Best Buy? I'm not usually into Dell, but I sell a lot of monitors in my line of work, and one thing I like about the Dell monitors is that they have a very matte surface, so there's a lot less glare on them than a lot of other brands. This particular one has DVI and VGA inputs, and the 1600x900 resolution and 5ms response is fairly standard, especially for the size.

If they don't have that one at your local Best Buy, you could try this HP or this Samsung. If it was me, I tend to prefer the Samsung monitors and I usually avoid HP products in general, but HP's monitors are actually pretty good. Same resolution and inputs, and the HP actually has built in speakers (although I doubt the 2w speakers built into it are really what you're looking for). Also, if your Best Buy doesn't have the Dell I liked to, skip the STB2010 model that they are more likely to have, as it only has HDMI and VGA inputs.

Would prefer DVI, but VGA is acceptable. (since I currently am using a DVI-VGA adapter anyways)

If your local Best has that Dell or Samsung model that mikeszekely pointed out, either would be a decent one to work with. You might want to look at this one from Asus if they have it.

... one thing I like about the Dell monitors is that they have a very matte surface, so there's a lot less glare on them than a lot of other brands.

Actually, after using a display with a reflective surface for a while now, it doesn't bother me anymore. I actually prefer it if I can. I do have my monitor in a spot that has minimal glare, but I've dealt with setups where the room was as bright as can be with natural sunlight and with all sorts of possible spots for glare yet the monitor had a reflective screen and still could crystal clear without any issues.

If your local Best has that Dell or Samsung model that mikeszekely pointed out, either would be a decent one to work with. You might want to look at this one from Asus if they have it.

Actually, after using a display with a reflective surface for a while now, it doesn't bother me anymore. I actually prefer it if I can. I do have my monitor in a spot that has minimal glare, but I've dealt with setups where the room was as bright as can be with natural sunlight and with all sorts of possible spots for glare yet the monitor had a reflective screen and still could crystal clear without any issues.

Asus is a brand that you get what you pay for and more in general they are a newcomer to the market... for the main stream market about four yearz old. Dell is not a bad brand it is just that they are "return to dell to have fixed" which means being sent a box to send the monitor off or go to a Dell registered store. Samsung .... hmm what can I say good about Samsung... ohhh i know the prices should be reasonable.

I play alot of flight sims and other games that use a hotas a control option (Mechwarrior 4, Freespace, you get the idea), and my X-52 is starting to act up, so I'm in the market for a good set of sticks.

I just got a G940 a couple months ago and I highly recommend it. Very nice stick. If only I had a cockpit for it... :p

I'm giving it some very serious thought as to making a 'pit. It's going to involve one whole side that's hinged (so I can get in and out easily, the G940, a 24 inch monitor (if I had the cash, a projector), and fold out keyboard and mouse. They'll fold away so they'll be out of the way when needed to be out of the way.

I've thought of building one as well, but I don't really have the time, cash...or room. :( Please post some pics if you do build it.

Don't hold your breath. I do have the room, but not the cash to buy everything. It's probably something I'm going to build some time down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, nevermind that every other cell-phone based device built up to now doesn't have this problem. But it's Apple and the I-phone, those things are touched by God himself...

What's the value of an iPad vs a standard netbook? Other than cost, that is :p

OS platform? Lightweight with no moving parts (as opposed to a having a keyboard and hinged LCD screen)? It depends on what you're looking for in your portable computer. What are you looking for? :unsure:

I just went to the corner office supplies store and got me a pack of 200 sheets of Apple i-Sheet(s). 8.5 x 11 size! So thin! omg only 0.12mm .

I get to use any pen/pencil or writing device as a stylus... which is good because there is no USB port for a keyboard. No built-in wireless either, but I can fold it into an airplane and toss it at my buddy. Best messaging/wireless protocol yet! ...

I got the lined-editions so I can write with my stylus in straight lines. >_<

Edited by Ghost Train

OS platform? Lightweight with no moving parts (as opposed to a having a keyboard and hinged LCD screen)? It depends on what you're looking for in your portable computer. What are you looking for? :unsure:

Portable video viewing, mobile streaming internet, convienient package. All of which is moot since I bought an iPad yesterday :) Having the shield installed on it now and will pick it up later this afternoon :D

Portable video viewing, mobile streaming internet, convienient package. All of which is moot since I bought an iPad yesterday :) Having the shield installed on it now and will pick it up later this afternoon :D

Enjoy your purchase. :D And check MW on your iPad. I would love to know if Safari defaults to the normal skin or the Lo-Fi skin.

Enjoy your purchase. :D And check MW on your iPad. I would love to know if Safari defaults to the normal skin or the Lo-Fi skin.

Holy crap is this thing ever *small*! But I'm having trouble adding video files already existing on my PC's harddrive to the iPad. Any hints as to how I can sync the files from my PC to my iPad?

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how to sync file onto my iPad but what video formats does it support?

Edited by CoryHolmes

EDIT: Okay, I figured out how to sync file onto my iPad but what video formats does it support?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I think that the Ipad situation is just a style basically.... A alternative to the regular computer models ....

Plus it seems to be fad kind of thing like buying Nike shoez.... but that is just my opinion... there are some differences but not enough for me...

There have been some press stating that the new Iphone is exactly the same as the old with some software updates... but I could be wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

HELP! I need help, oh most knowledgeable of net-izens! In a bid to make more space in my media room, I unhooked everything and moved it all around. Getting back to normal should be as simile as rehoming everything and back at it, right? WRONG! I use my 46 bravia LCD panel as my monitor, but I'm not getting any image.

More specifically, I'm running Windows Vista and I get the loading screen and the sliding bar filling up. Then the screen goes blank and all I can see is the mouse cursor. ctr-alt-del brings me to the manager screen just fine, and the task manager pops up cleanly. Booting up in safe mode also works fine, and I see everything as I should (except for the image being squashed into 640x480).

How can I fix this and restore sanity to my world?

HELP! I need help, oh most knowledgeable of net-izens! In a bid to make more space in my media room, I unhooked everything and moved it all around. Getting back to normal should be as simile as rehoming everything and back at it, right? WRONG! I use my 46 bravia LCD panel as my monitor, but I'm not getting any image.

More specifically, I'm running Windows Vista and I get the loading screen and the sliding bar filling up. Then the screen goes blank and all I can see is the mouse cursor. ctr-alt-del brings me to the manager screen just fine, and the task manager pops up cleanly. Booting up in safe mode also works fine, and I see everything as I should (except for the image being squashed into 640x480).

How can I fix this and restore sanity to my world?

question: do you use laptop or desktop?

Desktop. Since the picture works in safe mode and when I hit ctr-alt-del I suspect it has something to do with my resolution, but I'm not sure.

try "right-click" on your desktop and go to properties or screen resolution or whatever the equivalent is under vista. You should be able to adjust the resolution and color depth there.

Sadly, no. That would've been my first choice, but no go. I was hoping you most intelligent of people would have a magic wand to wave and make it all better for me. This is most frustrating. :angry:

What type of connection are you using from the PC to the TV?

I suppose, since the computer is working ok in safe mode, that you could uninstall the display driver in safe mode, reboot into normal mode, then update your display driver.

I use a DVI outport on my video card, then hook it through a DVI to VGA connecter into TV's VGA port.

I've never had any luck installing drivers on my computers. (It's kind of like trying to drive around Richmond BC without getting lost. Maddening!). So could you walk me through it?

I use a DVI outport on my video card, then hook it through a DVI to VGA connecter into TV's VGA port.

I've never had any luck installing drivers on my computers. (It's kind of like trying to drive around Richmond BC without getting lost. Maddening!). So could you walk me through it?

you'll need to go to either the website for your card or chipset manufacturer and download the appropriate driver for your system.

Boot into safe mode and go to your control panel > add/uninstall programs and find your driver and manually uninstall it. If it's nvidia or something it will have a listing "nvidia drivers" or something similar.

After you reboot the system Vista should boot normally to the start up screen but everything should now be in VGA. Login normally and then run the drivers. Anything from nvidia or ATI is going to be pretty easy, just follow the onscreen prompts.