Konig Monster - Bandai or Yamato?

spanner

yeah I saw this one.. bit expensive..

http://www.anime-export.com/product/27795

it's at 19000 yen new.

And the Bandai one is at Jungle for 24840 yen SEALed

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/?page_id=121&id=1298209

I was eyeballing that one from Jungle but before I commit to anything I need the final go ahead from my son. I told him I found one and was ready to buy it but he told me to wait as he is just looking into a few other xmas options before making a firm decision.. :rolleyes:

Only problem is waiting too long I may miss out on the good priced ones.. -_-

Oh and I did see that Yamato one on AE but he is adamant that it must be a Bandai..

Edited by spanner76

I was eyeballing that one from Jungle but before I commit to anything I need the final go ahead from my son. I told him I found one and was ready to buy it but he told me to wait as he is just looking into a few other xmas options before making a firm decision.. :rolleyes:

Oh and I did see that Yamato one on AE but he is adamant that it must be a Bandai..

Don't worry about it, Spanner. If you missed out on the good ones, you can still go back at NY. You just need to pay though the premium price. ;) By doing so... you're still gonna be nominated for the Father of the Year award. :lol:

Maybe your son heard Arcadia is reissuing the VF-4g too :p

Don't worry about it, Spanner. If you missed out on the good ones, you can still go back at NY. You just need to pay though the premium price. ;) By doing so... you're still gonna be nominated for the Father of the Year award. :lol:

Yeah that's always an option. So when is this father of the year award actually gonna be announced!? hehe! :D

Maybe your son heard Arcadia is reissuing the VF-4g too :p

He's definitely a Bandai kinda kid! ^_^

Well, as with any product, the user's mileage may vary. My Yamato still stands tall on my desk. The arm joints are a little loose, although they never were really that tight to begin with. However, overall, the thing still locks together well in all modes, and presents well still. I also have the recent Bandai re-release, and it's a a better toy overall, although the feet are not as lineart accurate as the Yamato. Bandai had the luxury of learning from Yamato's mistakes; their version employs ratchets throughout the toy to excellent effect, has a much more streamlined and lineart accurate shuttle mode, and is more stable, esp in battroid, in large part due to their deviation from the original foot design wherein the heels and feet are joined and move as one unit, which allows the entire leg to move forward at a greater angle allowing the engine exhaust panels to clear the ground. The Yamato's follows the lineart in this respect; the Bandai version attaches the two heels laterally to the leg itself rather than to the foot assembly, and in battroid the exhaust panels are used as a heel, which increases its stability, but sacrifices its lineart accuracy, aesthetics, and a bit of poseability.

Given a choice, I'd have to recommend the Bandai; overall, it's a superior toy.

Thanks M'Kyuun! Its definitely going to be the Bandai and most like the latest release possible. Due to my son fumbling around with his decision making I missed the one listed on Jungle so im now on the hunt for one elsewhere. No rush though as its meant to be for xmas so I still have some time to find one. I also want to get one new and not 2nd hand. I know they are still available on NY new but im still looking around for something better priced but if all else fails then I can always fall back on NY. Im kinda looking forward to seeing one of these in the flesh! But not to own one myself..

Good luck in your hunt; I hope you find one at a reasonable price, or at least a price that won't bring regrets later. As for the VB-6, personally, its uniqueness among the usual fighter/bomber designs sets it apart. Moreover, it's also unique, along with the Variable Glaug, in that it didn't start out as a transformable mech, but was redesigned as such by Kawamori. Among the Macross designs, this is one that was unlikely to ever get the toy treatment due to its size and complexity, not to mention stability and structural integrity, and yet we're fortunate to have had two toys produced. I'm glad to own both versions, as each offers something different. Perhaps, seeing one "in the flesh" will change your mind about getting one yourself. I hope the opportunity presents itself. In any case, come what may, best of luck. -M'Kyuun

What about the Hi-Metal R version? Won't it be the same scale as prior Bandai and the Yamato releases? They're all 1/100 scale, right? Will the HMR version be the same MSRP as prior releases?

I know the OP wants something soon as an X-mas gift, but I wonder how it will compare. Will the prior Bandai release still be superior? Wasn't the original SDF-M version a non-transforming destriod monster? Is that what the HMR version will be?

The Hi-Metal R HWR-00-MKII will be the only one from that new range that I'll be buying for sure!

I am a little concerned about the scale if it will be accurate even to 1/100. Im certainly hoping so that it will be a good size! Compared to the VB-6 toys anyway..

Of the VB-6 Konig Monsters only the Yamato release was actually scaled. The Bandai toys are non scale to the best of my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Bandai's is probably the superior toy, but I wanted to get one to display it with my 1/60 macross figures, so the slight bit of size difference made me rule in favor of the Yamato. Yes, it's a floppy mess, but if you're daring and don't mind a little DiY on a figure that nobody actually wants anymore, a little superglue joint tightening made mine a pretty solid toy. I actually quite like it. It has nice, hard lines, and looks heavier than bandai's version to my eye.

Both are great in their own ways but my son is keen on the Bandai version so I guess that's what its gonna be! If I were wanting one for my collection then either Bandai or Yamato would be fine but these things don't particularly interest me much at all which is probably a good thing! lol! :lol:

Both are great in their own ways but my son is keen on the Bandai version so I guess that's what its gonna be! If I were wanting one for my collection then either Bandai or Yamato would be fine but these things don't particularly interest me much at all which is probably a good thing! lol! :lol:

Did you already ordered one, Spanner?

• 6 months later...

I liked my Yamato a lot, until i read this thread and decided to transform my Bandai(which were in separate rooms) and sit them next to each other

*snip*

So what's your verdict after transforming your Bandai Koenig? ;)

I haven't owned the Bandai (yet), but I'd recommend staying away from the Yamato. It uses a peg-locking system in battroid/cannon, and despite gentle handling the pegs sheared off into the peg-holes. After that it wouldn't lock into place anymore. It was pretty terrible.

I'm sorry to hear that you had breakage, Easnoddy. It always hurts when a toy breaks. I speak from experience.

To fairly compare the Yammie to the Bandai, one must first recognize that Yamato had nothing but lineart, and pehaps some direction by Kawamori, to base their design upon, and that making the Konig was a gamble, both in terms of making such a large transforming toy work, and also in the fact that it is neither a typical 'hero' vehicle nor a sleek pretty fighter. They were pioneering, and for the time it was produced, I think it was a decent toy, perfect by no means (few things are), but an honest attempt to make a unique non-valkyrie mech. Mine still stands tall on my desk, a little dusty, but still imposing.

The Bandai version benefits from having had the Yamato to study, and about six years of advances in toy design and technology, not to mention a more streamlined design in Frontier. It is, in nearly every way, superior in fit and finish to the Yamato. The only design feature I favor on the Yammie over Bandai are the feet: Yamato's follows the lineart, whereas Bandai deviated from the lineart to make for a more stable battroid. I wish they'd followed the lineart as well, as the battroid's profile and height are affected by the change. But, I can't argue that it's a pretty solid figure and still looks great in all three modes.

I don't Hv a bandai one but frankly I think the Yamato monster has good qualities of its own as a first Transformable monster, especially its size n homage to the original artwork. On the low side it's just not as tight as the bandai monster.

Got mine quite cheap (2 broken pegs behind the hips, nothing Blutac n patience can't solve) and it scales well with the 1/100-ish HMR series being massive and all. Can refer the picture I attached, a temporary setup while cleaning up

post-6467-0-89424700-1462762514_thumb.jpeg

post-6467-0-29505200-1462762680_thumb.jpeg

Hahah

I don't Hv a bandai one but frankly I think the Yamato monster has good qualities of its own as a first Transformable monster, especially its size n homage to the original artwork. On the low side it's just not as tight as the bandai monster.

Got mine quite cheap (2 broken pegs behind the hips, nothing Blutac n patience can't solve) and it scales well with the 1/100-ish HMR series being massive and all. Can refer the picture I attached, a temporary setup while cleaning up

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hah, awesome! Makes me think of that Robotech game they had on kickstarter.

Table-top war-gaming with big frakk-off toys.

Nice! :wub:

absolutely! all monsters are beautiful

Hahah

Hah, awesome! Makes me think of that Robotech game they had on kickstarter.

Table-top war-gaming with big frakk-off toys.

bandai must've figures out that both yamato and bandai konig monsters were lonely and had nothing much to scale it with previously. now, these monsters have endless supply of 1/100-ish company

Edited by krazee_k