How Are You Going To Celebrate?

VF-15 Banshee

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm kicking my anniversary celebrations off by re-watching all of Macross through the month of September to October 3. Well maybe not all of Macross. Don't know if I want to go through all of 7 again, it's not my favorite one out of the bunch. Definitely going to watch Fleet of the Strongest Women though. :D

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm kicking my anniversary celebrations off by re-watching all of Macross through the month of September to October 3. Well maybe not all of Macross. Don't know if I want to go through all of 7 again, it's not my favorite one out of the bunch. Definitely going to watch Fleet of the Strongest Women though. :D

Quitter.

Had a screening of DYRL... That was my celebration. But I've been watching it over and over and the SDF series too. I ripped the DYRL bluray last night... It's just under 40GB... need to connvert it down. Besides adding subs to it, I think I'm going to add the Clash of the Bionoid tracks and watch it again. lol.

I think I'm going to add the Clash of the Bionoid tracks and watch it again. lol.

You are an evil man. :)

I started re-watching SDFMacross last night and I don't think I ever noticed this while watching Macross the first time but in episode 1, Hikaru's VF-1D totally demolishes Studio Nue. An in-joke directed at the studio by the staff perhaps? :)

Had a screening of DYRL... That was my celebration. But I've been watching it over and over and the SDF series too. I ripped the DYRL bluray last night... It's just under 40GB... need to connvert it down. Besides adding subs to it, I think I'm going to add the Clash of the Bionoid tracks and watch it again. lol.

Can I ask what program you use to do that? I don't have 5.1 output on my PS3 so I ripped the BD and burnt it to DVD where I do have 5.1 internalized. I watched that for a while but I thought about putting extra tracks and the program I am using (Freemake Video Converter) doesn't seem to allow for multiple tracks, unless I am missing something. I used to have a better DVD creating program on my old PC which did let you do that, I think it was called "Convert X to DVD", that was an excellent, though time-consuming, program.

I'm trying to write an article for a Brazilian blog about the franchise.

Trying to do in a way that non-fans or those not familiar with the series can understand and seek to plumb watch it.

A Herculean effort, but valid in order to explain that Macross isn't Robotech, nor maudlin.

As some * tards are talking ...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished episode 27 of SDF Macross. I noticed this second time around that some of that animation was almost DYRL level. If that had been the end of the series, I think I would have largely been satisfied with it, though some things would have been definite thumbs down, like Minmay deciding that she and Hikaru can only be friends and going for Kaifun. How anyone could develop any sort of feelings for a guy like him, I have no idea. At least they get that sorted out in the Reconstruction Arc.

Tomorrow we are gonna watch DYRL instead of football at work. This nerd isn't afraid of issuing throat punches to anyone who thinks arguing would be a good idea. Workplace Violence! It's the new black.

Edited by Benson13

Tomorrow we are gonna watch DYRL instead of football at work. This nerd isn't afraid of issuing throat punches to anyone who thinks arguing would be a good idea. Workplace Violence! It's the new black.

Er... Do YOU remember "love"?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Macrossworld con 12 for my celebration. Watched the DYRL screening, and that will probably be about all for me. I'd try to do the chronological order, but after doing it once, it's a bit much. I think with the massive amounts of toys I've bought, I'm thoroughly celebrating. I am working on a couple projects though. Don't know if they'll be done by the year, but definitely in celebration of.

So I'm watching the OG series again and man, I have to say that its a pretty somber and fairly realistic war story. I guess since I haven't watched the series in years my impression has been rewritten by DYRL which was much more of an idealistic romance. Seeing it as a kid made me go wow over the mechs, but now seeing it as an adult its such a rich story about people dealing with personal loss.

- Nghia

Edited by nghia59

Well I just re-watched Flashback 2012 and I think I enjoyed it even more this time around than I did before. A great send-off for the original Macross cast. Makes me wonder how much Macross FB7 is going to be like this.

Well, since FB7 isn't a music video clip show and appears to actually have a story, I'd hazard a guess that it will not resemble FB2012 at all.

As far as Frontier is concerned, it already got its music video special (Nyan Clip).

Edited by Tochiro

Well, since FB7 isn't a music video clip show and appears to actually have a story

YES! I can't wait to watch characters I don't care about sit down in a room to watch a TV show I saw fifteen years ago! What a story! Oh, the excitement!!

j/k

:p

Wow. I have not watched my Animeigo set in years. Probably over 5 years by my count.

1.) It looks pretty damn good upscanned on my 42 Plasma.

2.) Forgot how awesome the subs are.

3.) Forgot how much I love the original show!!

Carry on!

Wow. I have not watched my Animeigo set in years. Probably over 5 years by my count.

1.) It looks pretty damn good upscanned on my 42 Plasma.

2.) Forgot how awesome the subs are.

3.) Forgot how much I love the original show!!

Carry on!

Glad you're still around, dude! However, I cannot really agree... I think the Animeigo (I have the Madman R4 release, which is pretty much identical) set looks pretty bad now. But I guess I'm spoiled with all the remastered releases of recent years, the DVD and now Blu-ray.

The problem I have been having with the remastered BRs, in hindsight, is that they are too good... The clarity is so profound I can see the lift-shadows on the cells. It really freaks me out.

It reminds me of my first acid tab. It all got too real, too quickly. :)

Like that Hobbit footage I saw in 48FPS... It was so "real" that it turned my stomach and made me ill.... :(

I guess it depends on how you enjoy the show. I find the show quite difficult to watch in recent years and its story and pacing quite broken, so I haven't seen it properly in a really long time. However, I am very interested in the production process of TV animation, especially during that period of time, which means that I am looking extremely closely at those scratches, the dust, the shadows and the back-lit effects, etc. It tells you a lot of information. I understand that that is separate to the entertainment of the show as a story, though. So at the end of the day it is about what you want to get out of it.

As for how I actually "celebrated" -- I actually ended up just watching the first episode of the Super Dimension Seminar, which is a condensed edition of the Macross Special, which is the first broadcast of episodes 1 and 2 back-to-back. The VF-1D falling to the ground, crashing into a bunch of buildings, then stumbling around and smashing into a Chinese girl's bedroom, then taking off and catching said Chinese girl in mid-air and landing again... For me, that IS Macross!

EDIT -- Also, there was an earthquake here in Tokyo just as I was writing that. MEGAROAD LAUNCH!!

Edited by Renato

I guess it depends on how you enjoy the show. I find the show quite difficult to watch in recent years and its story and pacing quite broken, so I haven't seen it properly in a really long time. However, I am very interested in the production process of TV animation, especially during that period of time, which means that I am looking extremely closely at those scratches, the dust, the shadows and the back-lit effects, etc. It tells you a lot of information. I understand that that is separate to the entertainment of the show as a story, though. So at the end of the day it is about what you want to get out of it.

As for how I actually "celebrated" -- I actually ended up just watching the first episode of the Super Dimension Seminar, which is a condensed edition of the Macross Special, which is the first broadcast of episodes 1 and 2 back-to-back. The VF-1D falling to the ground, crashing into a bunch of buildings, then stumbling around and smashing into a Chinese girl's bedroom, then taking off and catching said Chinese girl in mid-air and landing again... For me, that IS Macross!

EDIT -- Also, there was an earthquake here in Tokyo just as I was writing that. MEGAROAD LAUNCH!!

Yeah, felt that earthquake here at the office too.

And as someone who owns both the R4 madman boxset and the JPN blurays I can say that the R4 set still looks great provided you have a good upscaling player of course.

Hopefully I'll have a treat in store for you then I just hope to finish it by the con.