3D printed SDF-1 Bridge 1:285

Firesped

3D printing the SDF-1 Bridge in 1:285 scale. I didn't make the 3d model, but I did scale it to 1:285 and broke it into pieces to be printed on my raise3d N2 FDM printer. I did redesign the four large antenna that stick out to be replaced by rods. so there are insert holes in the model for that.

post-29891-0-35823600-1463683561_thumb.png

so far I have printed out the back of the left side.

post-29891-0-69067000-1463683677_thumb.jpg

I tried to print out the front part of the left side but I am having some issues. so I went ahead and started the right side.

Here are some pictures showing various states of the print.

post-29891-0-00839400-1463683856_thumb.jpg

post-29891-0-82490100-1463683862_thumb.jpg

I want to go in eventually and update the left side so it has all the inner layers of the bridge modeled out. There is a kickstarter I am backing for a new material called Polysmooth, that comes with a polysher device. They are going to make a transparent filament for this that will polish see through.

That's a great idea! Just curious, what are you using it to bounce against for scale? I don't think I've ever seen bridge dimensions listed anywhere.

On another note, you can easily vacu-form a clear piece to fit into that. No polishing and if you want to make more for friends or to sell, you can just "pull" another one from the mold in minutes. - MT

I have a SDF-1 model I got from the internet, I scaled that up to 1:1 scale then back down to 1:285 scale. had some issues with my printer, still learning how this works. ultimately I had the flowrate set to high for the slower speed I was going and the pressure built up to high and caused a clog. I've got it fixed now though.

just found who made this model as well, seems to be the SDF-1 model from John Hoagland

Edited by Firesped

I just had to have a detailed bridge in this print!

so I kinda added some simple facsimily of the internals.

I'm breaking the front left part into 3 pieces. the lower section, the dome and the tower. I've finished my bridge details for how I want them and I have the dome and the lower part done. I still have to make the tower interface with the dome.

I have the dome hidden in this screen shot.

post-29891-0-19289700-1463873816_thumb.png

had to reprint the top and I cut back the part that printed before then glued them together. I should be able to print it without issue in the future, just need to fine tune some settings. I think because it is printing the top solid layers faster, they are not bridging well, so I need to add more top solid layers.

post-29891-0-71830000-1463949028_thumb.jpg

Right now I am at the 20 hour mark on the left side bottom.

here is an earlier photo as well.

post-29891-0-02650000-1463949179_thumb.jpg

You can see the bridge details I added.

post-29891-0-65655300-1463949182_thumb.jpg

I'm going to print the dome in ePC, a polycarbonate filament and see how it turns out. If it doesn't turn out well, I have a transparent blue filament.