Yamato 1/200 Scale Macross Collection Figures

Graham

Yamato used some different plastics in these, some ABS IIRC, specifically to avoid the issue of warpage of wings and other parts. There is no or little PVC IIRC.

Sigh........I wish some people would their check facts before posting.

1/200 scale, makes these perfect for desktop display or wargaming.

Graham

I'm hoping ever so hard that the VA is bought in such overwhelming quantities that Yamato decides to do a 1/60 scale or even GNU version. Actually, i'd be more than happy with GNU.

Edited by Alex

So the Revoltech are ~ 1/72 scale? 200 / 3 = ~ 70!

Hmm... I might need to pickup the Revoltechs to match my models!

Sorry offtopic!

I don't think Revoltech VF is 1/72 scale, it looks more like 1/100.

The Yamato 1/200 Scale Macross Variable Fighter Collection (VFC) figures are out in Japan and Hong Kong. I just picked up a set of the YF-19, VA-3M & VF-1J Hikaru yesterday.

Just a few words about these toys.

Yamato plan for these was to make the sculpts as lineart accurate and in some cases as lineart pose accurate as possible.

Yamato also knew that they had to get around the common warpage problem associated with PVC gashapon figures (AKA gasapon disease). To solve this, they made the parts that would be prone to warping, such as the wings and in some cases the tail fins out of ABS plastic. All the Fighter & GERWALK Figures have ABS plastic wings. The VF-1 Fighter also has ABS tail fins and an ABS chest and back section. All the Fighter GERWALK figures also have clear ABS cockpit canopies. Other parts are PVC.

The display stands are ABS plastic are are really nice with painted on UN Spacy Kite emblems. They clear plastic stand arms come with ball jointed mounting adaptors that plug into the Fighter and GERWALK modes, allowing you to pose them flying at different angles.

The level of detail on these figures is really high, despite the small size. Yamato really went all out trying to pack as much detail and panel lines on as possible.

The figures also have quite a lot of tampo printing. The UN Spacy Kites are all Tampo printed, as in some cases are the 'VF' markings and 'UN SPACY' Markings.

The only thing I'm not to keen on is the light paint wash that was given to these figures. Earlier prototypes I saw did not have this. Still, it helps to pick out the panel lines.

Sculpt on all the figures is really great. The VF-1 Fighter even has swing wings. They definitely look better than in the photos. The packing is pretty classy too.

The come partially disassembled. Basically, it's just a case of plugging the limbs and wings into the main body. The fit is pretty good, but if you are going to be handling these a lot, a dab of glue might be recommended.

Perfect for tabletop wargaming, desktop displays or just for anybody with limited space.

Can't wait for the series 2, YF-21 and VF-9 Cutlass.

Graham

I know this sounds a little crazy but I'd love if yamato just cloned the idea of the revoltech toys, made super posable but small and cheap battroid modes, fixed fighter modes, and superposable gerwalks all at the same scale of each other.

The reguld revoltech is just a superposable mecha. It's not humanoid and because it doesn't transform it suits that line. But revoltech don't have 3 modes so stuff like the VF-1 is limited to robot mode. Just one mode.

All yamato have to do is sell people on the promise that they can make 3 modes of any given mecha (say like a miniture koenig monster? or a variable glaug) PLUS add the superposable feature to the battroid modes, and everyone would buy it.

Having three modes (fighter, gerwalk, battroid) in non-transforming, anime-accuracy sculpt would kick ass. What would this allow is because they are cheaper than transformable toys, you are more likely to see rarer toys. Scrap the GNU line of macross and just focus on smaller palm sized action figures.

Reolvtechs don't do the fighter modes so fans of that might be tempted to just get the 3 pack of yamato instead. Of course this assumes these are not random toys like what these 1/200 toys are and they actually sold them as proper toys that the buyer could see and choose.

I do think the idea of yamato doing three modes is cool, but not the random thing of getting doubles or triples of the same thing. That's the only thing that turns me off. I'm antisocial and hate having to rely on others to swap toys to get the thing I want. :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

What you're suggesting is kind of like those 15th anniversary Arii figures that were battroid and gerwalk figures (albeit with HORRIBLE articulation). It's an interesting idea. I don't know how well the gerwalks would sell. I don't really like gerwalk mode except on the VF-4 and VF-11. I figure that fighter and battroid would be the most popular.

If the 1/200 collection figures come out with the VF-4, VF-11, VF-14, or VF-5000 I'm going to get interested in picking up some of the line.

I know this sounds a little crazy but I'd love if yamato just cloned the idea of the revoltech toys, made super posable but small and cheap battroid modes, fixed fighter modes, and superposable gerwalks all at the same scale of each other.

I've been trying to push the idea of GNU Fighters, but no luck yet.

Graham

I've been trying to push the idea of GNU Fighters, but no luck yet.

Graham

If these 1/200 collections become a success, perhaps they'd consider making 1/200 scale diecasts (considering they've already did the sculpts - save the landing gears)? I personally would love to have diecast Valkyrie fighters like the Yukikaze Mave .

The 1/200 Yukikaze Mave and fighter planes released by Herpa, Gulliver, and Hogan seem to be quite popular.

Edited by Vifam7

Oh well if it's a pack of fighter, battroid, and gerwalk, and it's decently priced I'd probaby pick up a few sets. At the least the idea of GNU Fighter mode valkyries is very nice. Keep pushing on that idea Graham!

Mmmmm, the idea of a fleet of different valkyries in Low Visibility or Stealth colors is very enticing... VF-1A, VF-4, VF-11B, VF-5000, VF-14, VF-17, VF-19A, VF-22....

In any case I'll wait to see what Yamato does with these 1/200 figures. It looks like this may get interesting. Especially the news that they have a VF-9 Cutlass coming out. Guess they got a license to produce Macross M3 valkyries?

I just realized that the VF-19 looks like a cross between the VF-11 (large canards to the section from cockpit to nose), YF/VF-19 (Forward swept wings), and SV-51 (head). The SV-51 head part I never noticed before.

THANK YOU Graham, Jenius, Chowyunskinny, and Vifam7 for the updates! These are realy looking awesome! Not that I'm biased towards 1/200 scale stuff or anything :rolleyes: . I'm thinking my one preorder will not be enough! The ABS seems to fix the PVC sags too!

I'm not a big "toy guy," but these will fit nicely alongside my other 1/200 aircraft and mecha. The VF-3 and 9 look awesome too! Thanks again for the updates (good thing my wallet isn't here, it'd be mad :ph34r:). - MT

Edited by MechTech