DX Chogokin YF-29B Percival

IXTL

The 29 B is going to be the mass production military version of the yf-29. That's why it has NUNs markings and is in the NUNs color type like the green nightmare. The other 29's were prototypes being tested in combat by SMS.

I think the canopy will be the same color as the visor to fall in line with the color NUNs had for their green nightmares.

This is a buy for me and also my prediction for the CF valk of the new Macross Series coming out.

It would also look great next to a Cavalier VF-1. They are almost the same.

Edited by sreichma

The 29 B is going to be the mass production military version of the yf-29. That's why it has NUNs markings and is in the NUNs color type like the green nightmare. The other 29's were prototypes being tested in combat by SMS.

If that were the case, why does it still carry the YF designation? Shouldn't it be the VF-29B at this point? Frontier and beyond has introduced all sorts of confusion in this regard.

I love it, she looks great! The colors are fantastic.

And yeah looks like she has the bayonet. I guess that's fine, I kinda liked it but i wish it was unique to just Isamu.

I don't think it's supposed to have a bayonet. Or at least the gunpod in the fighter pic doesn't have one. I'd rather it didn't have one either, but mostly because it then required an extra adapter just to attach it in fighter mode because the bayonet was in the way.

... don't recall anyone saying that in the Macross 30 game itself, and the print sources only say that it's an improved version of the YF-29 used by the aces of Havamal, a rogue New UN Forces special forces unit who are the principal antagonists of Macross 30. Can you source that statement?

Edit: My bad.

Not good...not good at all for my wallet. A must have this figure!!

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get one of these to go with my YF-29 Isamu and YF-30.

(Man, ever since Mr March helped me get a YF-30, it's been hard to turn down some of these... I was never a toy collector before.)

I don't think it's supposed to have a bayonet. Or at least the gunpod in the fighter pic doesn't have one. I'd rather it didn't have one either, but mostly because it then required an extra adapter just to attach it in fighter mode because the bayonet was in the way.

Actually, it IS supposed to have a bayonet... that's Rod Baltemar's YF-29B from Macross 30, which does have a bayonet on the gun pod in the game's 3D model for the fighter.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't need to source it. This isn't the cannon thread. It's my take on it as I stated in the other post. Read them all before you challenge someone to prove what they are saying.

Insert your back pedal "I wasn't challenging you, I was just asking in case I missed something, don't get so bent out of shape" comment now.

Edited by sreichma

an improved version of the YF-29 used by the aces of Havamal, a rogue New UN Forces special forces unit who are the principal antagonists of Macross 30.

Oh awesome, does this mean the YF-29B and YF-30 dogfight at some point (my Macross 30 knowledge is zero)? If so, that's going to change the YF-29B from a "getting it" to a "MUST GET IT" for me, haha.

I don't need to source it. This isn't the cannon thread. It's my take on it as I stated in the other post. Read them all before you challenge someone to prove what they are saying.

Insert your back pedal "I wasn't challenging you, I was just asking in case I missed something, don't get so bent out of shape" comment now.

Eech... I'm sorry, I totally missed your second post where you clarified that. My bad. :(

(Though you are right, I wasn't challenging you, I thought I'd missed an important tidbit that ought to go into my notes on the YF-29 for Mr March's use. Again, my apologies if I came off that way. I truly didn't mean to.)

Oh awesome, does this mean the YF-29B and YF-30 dogfight at some point (my Macross 30 knowledge is zero)? If so, that's going to change the YF-29B from a "getting it" to a "MUST GET IT" for me, haha.

Yep! The YF-29B Percival is the signature mecha of Rod Baltemar, the Havamal ace pilot who fills the role of the main (player) character's rival in Macross 30. He's one of the last "boss" fights, a trench run-type level after the player (Leon Sakaki) gets his YF-30 Chronos. He's and some Ghosts are also the first fight in the game... pretty much the only time you use Leon's YF-25, and it's a "supposed to lose" fight. IIRC, it's New Game + that unlocks his YF-29B as a playable VF and his Havamal color scheme also becomes selectable on the VFs that aren't character-specific.

That's the reason I wanna get it... I never really liked Alto's reddish YF-29 color scheme, but Rod's looks pretty good, and I liked him as a character enough that his YF-29B is totally a "MUST GET" for me.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't think he meant it to be antagonizing. At least I didn't read his post that way...

Also, it's a little wrong that I'm more excited about a repaint than a new VF-19 Advance mold (I'm excited about that too though).

Edited by xrentonx

Why is it we have so many bloody YF-29 prototype variants instead of VF-29A/B/C/D...

Dunno. If I had to guess, I'd say Bandai killed two birds with one stone by keeping the YF-30 exclusive to Leon Sakaki in Macross 30 to make it special and give the YF-29 greater exposure than it got in Sayonara no Tsubasa by giving the rival and some of the more beloved legacy characters access to their own versions as late-game upgrades.

Looking at it from an in-universe standpoint, I think it's probably because the YF-29 is still really new and there's at most a year between Macross Frontier's conclusion and Macross 30. You need some ridiculously huge pieces of fold quartz to build 'em as well (IINM, a piece in Great Mechanics.DX said it needed one chunk of ultra high-purity fold quartz around 1,000 carats?). The Havamal forces might've built theirs on the sly too...

Either way, I'm cool with it... I like all three of the Macross 30 character variants more than the Alto version from the movie.

Actually, it IS supposed to have a bayonet... that's Rod Baltemar's YF-29B from Macross 30, which does have a bayonet on the gun pod in the game's 3D model for the fighter.

Oh, alright. I was just basing the assumption off that screenshot of Rod's 29 which was lacking the bayonet. I just wish they did something other than te half assed measure of adding an extra attachment piece in order to connect the gunpod properly in fighter mode.

Yep! The YF-29B Percival is the signature mecha of Rod Baltemar, the Havamal ace pilot who fills the role of the main (player) character's rival in Macross 30. He's one of the last "boss" fights, a trench run-type level after the player (Leon Sakaki) gets his YF-30 Chronos. He's and some Ghosts are also the first fight in the game... pretty much the only time you use Leon's YF-25, and it's a "supposed to lose" fight. IIRC, it's New Game + that unlocks his YF-29B as a playable VF and his Havamal color scheme also becomes selectable on the VFs that aren't character-specific.

That's the reason I wanna get it... I never really liked Alto's reddish YF-29 color scheme, but Rod's looks pretty good, and I liked him as a character enough that his YF-29B is totally a "MUST GET" for me.

Awesome, thanks for the info Seto! I was actually considering selling my YF-30 but I'm definitely keeping it now to square off against the YF-29B. I absolutely love having rival valks!

Guest davidwhangchoi

How do you tell its only v1.5 renewal?

Besides the fact that they will probably reuse the vf29 gamma mold...

that's based on the history of the yf-29 itself (which this 29b, ozma's and every other 29 valk is a repaint) the 29 was built after the version 1 vf-25 improving on the design in many areas over the version 1 vf-25 but it was still not perfect.

the version 2 vf-25 renewals adopted the 29 improvements and went further making it vf-25 version 2.0

so i guess you can say the 29 is the 1.5 in between ver. 1 and 2 in terms of design revisions.

The color looks nice. The best dark valk is still sv-51 ivanov imo.

I bet the canon fodder of the next series is still vf-25 modified for noobs and not the 29.

It still looks too heroic. Don't forget the reason you saw vf-19 being used in macross 7 was because only the special pilots/aces used those. And the vf-17 was for heavy valk usage (loads of guns all over the place) not the standard. At the time vf-11 was cannon fodder and had limited speed and weapons but had fast packs. I still think the vf-25 with FP would be cannon fodder in next series going by this pattern and not 29.

29 would most likely be used by ace pilots who needed the better stuff while cannon fodder uses the swing wing valks.

vf-19 = funny forward swept wings = used by ace pilots for high maneuvability/speed

vf-17 = ninjas/assassins = used by delta force/chuck norris spec ops guys with heavy equipment like secret large beam guns hidden in legs not seen by public much

vf-11 = swing wings just like vf-1 from sdfm = used by noobs

...so my prediction:

vf-29 = funny forward swept wings = aces for next series for high maneuverability/speed

vf-27 = used by ninjas/assassins = used by sniper duty characters for stealth missions/black ops. more secret equipment possibly gets to have officially banned crap if they can avoid getting seen. anything with '7' is the 007 james bond sh!t.

vf-25 = swing wing = used by the new recruits and cannon fodder pilots who got an upgrade from vf-171.But they get the FP as standard, not as upgrade. (in line with the modded vf-1 in DYRL where everyone gets more missiles compared to the cannon fodder guys seen in the tv series where they had old school cockpit controls and flew vf-1 naked most of the time and ran out of missiles quickly having to return to base for reload more often)

Noobs probably can't kill targets fast enough to be able to make use of highest speeds so will get cheaper stuff which is just upgraded older valks. These guys are never seen taking cover, doing fancy dodgerolls, and they always get hit first before firing a shot. They are going to die anyway so thier only purpose is distract enemies long enough so aces can get into position in time to save the day while enemies are busy. Once in a while a character can kick ass in CF (the guy in macross 7 using full armor vf-11) but this is rare exception to sell toys of those characters. (much like how the gouf custom in MSG can be considered the heroic cannon fodder who breaks the CF curse of dying easily)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Some crazy talk in here. The 29 is right there with renewal 25 toys but no need for the renewal name since it has only one version and was good from the beginning. The only toy that is questionable is the 27 and the original 27 had improvements over the original 25 so the updated 27 is pretty decent albeit not quite as superb as the 29 or 25. Don't muddy the waters with version talk on the 29.

Yep! The YF-29B Percival is the signature mecha of Rod Baltemar, the Havamal ace pilot who fills the role of the main (player) character's rival in Macross 30.

Crappola... Now that I've read this, I'm gonna hafta get a YF-30. I hate that missile thingamajig on it though...

Thanks for the info though!

Well, gone for a week and I've certainly missed a lot.

I really liked the color scheme in the game but this looks... it doesn't look like how I would have pictured it in real life. Maybe it's the lighting in the showroom but the lighter color looks a bit more vibrant than I imagined.