Since the mods refuse to update the title of the existing Gundam Show Thread, it's time that Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (機動戦士ガンダム 鉄血のオルフェンズ) had its own thread. Here, we'll cover the TV series, Gunpla, and other related merchandise. The episodes are available on YouTube every Sunday night at 17:30 Japan time (except in the U.S. and a few other territories); the series is also available via Daisuki.net, Crunchyroll, and Funimation online.

For starters, here's the story so far.

Episode 1: "Iron and Blood" (鉄と血と)

Episode 2: "Barbatos" (バルバトス)

Episode 3: "Glorious Demise" (散華)

Episode 4: "The Price of Life" (命の値段)

Episode 5: "Beyond the Red Sky" (赤い空の向こう)

Official Site by Sunrise

Official Site by MBS

Thanks, a7! Wondering if there will be some super modular components that will fill up the flanks/hips/abdomen of the barbatos...

I'd like to see Barbatos in its completely original form (not what we have right now in Gunpla form). Hopefully, we'll see some flashbacks of the Calamity War, which explains the origins of the Gundam-frame suits.

Here's a little warm-up before the next episode.

And now for some Gunpla news:

The HGIBO McGillis' Schwalbe Graze was just released in Japan, but Bandai once again pisses off most Gunpla collectors by making Gaelio's unit a P-Bandai exclusive. And it won't be out until February.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

P-Bandai Exclusive: HG 1/144 Gaelio's Schwalbe Graze

The same deal with the space variant of Gjallarhorn's workhorse.

Untitled-12.jpg

P-Bandai Exclusive: HG 1/144 Graze Ares Color Standard Type / Commander Type

Now this is simply genius.

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_02571.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_02461.JPG

HG 1/144 Over Graze - Custom Build

Five episodes in and this series is doing good so far, I'm loving the action and the MS designs. Any word on if this is getting 25 or 50 episodes?

Is it just me or is the ending song to IBO one of the best out of any of the Gundam series?

Five episodes in and this series is doing good so far, I'm loving the action and the MS designs. Any word on if this is getting 25 or 50 episodes?

Is it just me or is the ending song to IBO one of the best out of any of the Gundam series?

Sunrise confirmed 25 episodes for this series.

And yeah, "Orphans no Namida" is an awesome ED song.

The next mystery is whether the HG Teiwaz will get inner frames.

Chances are we will also get a 1/100 Graze Kai but don't think we will get all the extra weapons in 1/100, otherwise people would have no incentive to buy the 1/144 line.

If it sells well, they may wait for an MG to release Barbatos's signature mace.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was watching this last night

wow:

that little guy is sorta mean. he's angry at the rich girl and shoots the
lieutenant that doesn't want to fight children cold blooded.
if he went to a local high school/college, he'd be a total psycho

Edited by davidwhangchoi

links are region locked (thanks youtube :angry:) oh, well, i'll catch it on crunchyroll.

thanks for the links anyways.

Dude, check out nordvpn or a similar service, and set it up for your router to connect to it so it'll work for any device on your wifi network

I'd like to see Barbatos in its completely original form (not what we have right now in Gunpla form). Hopefully, we'll see some flashbacks of the Calamity War, which explains the origins of the Gundam-frame suits.Here's a little warm-up before the next episode.

Thanks, a7! The idea of seeing the "showroom floor" version of the barbatos is appealing to me too! They could also show video archives of the calamity war at some point. I remember that the gjallarhorn guys ran a query for the suit on some database but it was only text. Maybe it could be a spin-off prequel series or ova?

Thanks for the PlaMo pics, too! Not a fan of the graze design (somewhere in between Reconguista and turn a for me) but I can see how that black version will be very popular

wow:

Hahaha! I think he's right up there with setsuna.

dunno why he didn't waste that guy who sold them out to orcus though...

wow:

You know, I was thinking of this after you brought it up. I think there are several scenes that hint at the series arc for Mikazuki & Orga.

Remember, Gundam NEVER has a straight linear good guy vs bad guy narrative. It embraces the "Heroes on both sides" concept, to paraphrase SWEp3.

I think we'll see Mikazuki & Orga end up as opponents in the series. It's presented in the opening scene of the entire series that Orga has made Mikazuki his assassin/weapon. While Orga's attachment to him may or may not be genuine, he has been reinforcing that status since they were kids on the street.

While it's left vague, my read on the prologue is that there has been a fight. Perhaps rival child gangs, maybe M&O were desperate & tried to rob someone and it went south. Orga has clearly been injured & Mikazuki has the gun. My guess is the gun belonged to the unseen opponent & he shot Orga prior to being disarmed. We come in to the scene right as Mikazuki fires, then "What do I do next, Orga?" (I expect we'll see an extended flashback of this scene later)

So, I presume it's Orga that tells Mikazuki to kill the random dude in the alley in the prologue. It's Orga who tells him to pilot the Gundam, without training or regard for his safety. It's Orga who has him execute the the older CGS staff and then tells him to simply kill Cmdr Crank, despite his rather honorable intentions. Was it Orga who suggested he go through the interface surgery 3 times?

Always, it's "What do I do next, Orga?"

Orga's driving motivation so far has been to bring honor and success to Tekkadan, and is using Mikazuki's skill and personal loyalty to do it. I don't know to what end yet. However, at the same time, we have Kudelia and Atra clearly crushing on him. My theory is that this will lead to increasing his sense of self-worth and anger at being used, ultimately turning "brother" again "brother" for the final showdown.

That, and he has bad guy hair.

Edited by Kelsain

Spoiler *snip

Orga seems to want to be responsible and take care of Miyazaki especially and the group. In the last episode he remembers miyazuki' eyes looking up to him for guidance. probably the feeling of being a leader and elder brother is now weighing in his mind. He also acts like the more mature brother telling the kids to be careful where they run.

If indeed he does turn in the end and they end up fighting each other that would certainly be a twist. However seeing this grp being disadvantaged so early in the series, I doubt he will forget and will consider blood thicker than water. After all they are all the blood he has right now.

Maybe it's my early exposure via Wing, but that seems too simple for a Gundam show...

Besides:

Untitled-32.jpg

This screams bad-guy Gundam to me, and seems to Echo Orga's hair...

:ph34r:

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

Still gotta watch Ep6 this week.

Speculation aside: has there been any information on the weird cyclops thing in the Graze's head? It opens fairly regularly, is a feature on all the models, but hasn't done anything so far. Does it do anything besides making the Graze look surprised?

Edited by Kelsain

Looks like Teiwaz's Hyakuren has not entered full mass production and 44 units produced so far, assuming that is across all spheres(Jupiter - Mars - Earth).

I am guessing the Graze to be around 80-120 for the Mar sphere and then <600-1000 across all spheres.

The main thing I am interested in any mecha war would be the production numbers or troop numbers. We've had troop numbers for One Year War to Laplace Conflict for at least one faction(Delaz Fleet, Axis, Neo Zeon, Sleeves).

Break Blade gave us 200ish for Kurisna and 800-1000 for Athens.

00 initially had 100 GN-X IIIs but then they changed it to 1000 GN-X III so that the heroes could kill them off like flies after the little timeskip in season 2.

Production numbers usually indicate how valuable an MS is, and in IBO one MS appear extremely valuable to the point that cockpit damaged machines are worth salvaging. Losing 4 Grazes seem to be a big deal for the Ares garrison.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You know, I was thinking of this after you brought it up. I think there are several scenes that hint at the series arc for Mikazuki & Orga.

Remember, Gundam NEVER has a straight linear good guy vs bad guy narrative. It embraces the "Heroes on both sides" concept, to paraphrase SWEp3.

I think we'll see Mikazuki & Orga end up as opponents in the series. It's presented in the opening scene of the entire series that Orga has made Mikazuki his assassin/weapon. While Orga's attachment to him may or may not be genuine, he has been reinforcing that status since they were kids on the street.

While it's left vague, my read on the prologue is that there has been a fight. Perhaps rival child gangs, maybe M&O were desperate & tried to rob someone and it went south. Orga has clearly been injured & Mikazuki has the gun. My guess is the gun belonged to the unseen opponent & he shot Orga prior to being disarmed. We come in to the scene right as Mikazuki fires, then "What do I do next, Orga?" (I expect we'll see an extended flashback of this scene later)

So, I presume it's Orga that tells Mikazuki to kill the random dude in the alley in the prologue. It's Orga who tells him to pilot the Gundam, without training or regard for his safety. It's Orga who has him execute the the older CGS staff and then tells him to simply kill Cmdr Crank, despite his rather honorable intentions. Was it Orga who suggested he go through the interface surgery 3 times?

Always, it's "What do I do next, Orga?"

Orga's driving motivation so far has been to bring honor and success to Tekkadan, and is using Mikazuki's skill and personal loyalty to do it. I don't know to what end yet. However, at the same time, we have Kudelia and Atra clearly crushing on him. My theory is that this will lead to increasing his sense of self-worth and anger at being used, ultimately turning "brother" again "brother" for the final showdown.

That, and he has bad guy hair.

lol at the last sentence :D now, i'm going to be looking out for your theory while watching the story develop.

Edited by davidwhangchoi