Macross On The Famicom

Tommy Pickles

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I'm not in the Philippines, but I remember this game! I got it as part of a Famiclone console that I got at the Englishtown Flea Market in New Jersey just about 20 years ago this month. My only previous exposure to Macross was Robotech on Cartoon Network for a few months in 1998, and then I saw this very Robotech-ish game. I googled what the relationship between the two franchises was, got confused, and remained that way for another 15 years :D

I think the game... is meh. I played it again recently on Retroarch. Is it just me or is it one level that repeats over and over again a la many games of the pre-NES era? It's almost like I'm playing a sidescrolling Atari Star Wars :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gamma00Ray said:

I think the game... is meh. I played it again recently on Retroarch. Is it just me or is it one level that repeats over and over again a la many games of the pre-NES era? It's almost like I'm playing a sidescrolling Atari Star Wars :D

Yeah, it's a very early FamiCom title, and they were kinda all like that. It took a bit of time for the library to start looking like the Nintendo we remember.

The western market missed the first generation of games, so the pirate multicarts are always a surprise to people.

22 hours ago, JB0 said:

Yeah, it's a very early FamiCom title, and they were kinda all like that. It took a bit of time for the library to start looking like the Nintendo we remember.

The western market missed the first generation of games, so the pirate multicarts are always a surprise to people.

Ah, so it is a one level repeater. I know the early Famicom games were simpler than later games, but a bunch of them still had multiple distinct levels. I wasn't sure if I was going to see some additional stuff if I kept playing.

43 minutes ago, Gamma00Ray said:

Ah, so it is a one level repeater. I know the early Famicom games were simpler than later games, but a bunch of them still had multiple distinct levels. I wasn't sure if I was going to see some additional stuff if I kept playing.

Arguably two levels!

Difficulty increases, as I recall, but nothing super-spectacular.