Basara Nekki

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Basara Nekki?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm having Basara's love child

I wanted to make a thread dedicated to the love and hate of one of the most controversial characters of all Macross--Basara Nekki!

I've seen a few people on here hold him responsible for vilifying UN SPACY in MACROSS-7, call him self-serving, self-absorbed, but mostly I think that people here like him. I sure do. I think that a lot of the Basara hate comes from the fact that he's a "rock 'n star" and as such stereotypically dissociative, distant, and sometimes comes off as unreachable. However I think that its shown on more than one occasion that is is a man who does care about people and his friends its just he is the type of person that shows this through his music and action rather than taking the time to express himself in romantic gestures or heart-felt confessions. I don't think he is an aloof apeface. However, this is an open and public forum and I am more than willing to be convinced I am wrong.

So go for it!

Do you love or hate Basara and if so... why? ^_^

I wanted to make a thread dedicated to the love and hate of one of the most controversial characters of all Macross--Basara Nekki!

Eh? Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion... but, what about the other people who a) don't think he's controversial in the slightest, and b) neither love nor hate the character?

For some of us, he just exists, like any other character in Macross, and we don't care one way or the other.

cant we just call Macross-7 a TV-show aired across the foldwaves depicting Fire Bomba!!! and how they sayd they saved Macross-7 (and probably the universe) from the Protodevlin? Its not like they havent done it twice... really 3 times (The Minmei movie from SDF-TV, DYRL as well as the Movie version of Zero from MF)? and maybe the what actually happened to Macross-7 was less silly and far more dangerous than the UNS would allow peps to know... maybe?

Edited by pensives_wetness

Allow me to create a simple diagram.

post-1819-0-99810000-1317313582_thumb.jpg

Before Basara

post-1819-0-86302100-1317313602_thumb.jpg

After Basara

any questions

Cof cof* Just one: Why does M7 sucks so much????

Seriously Basara is a really cool character 'til he opens his mouth. (to talk of course. I actually like some fire bomber tunes)The only one more annoying than him is Mylene and the cousin itt's bastard child she calls gubaba.

Pheeeew! I lost my breath, wait I am typing not talking. :wacko:

I like him for the simple fact that I've never, ever seen any character like him before or since. He is truly unique.

Yeah, he is annoying, but if he wasn't, that would not create the conflict between the characters in the series which to me is the most interesting aspect. He's neither the war hero soldier, nor the wise old "ah, the senselessness of war" mentor-type character. He's here to rock, and he thinks that people can get along just as long as they give in to the beat, instead of bothering to rationalize everything.

I would not really care about the show if Basara was just a UN Spacy pilot saying "yessir, we will defeat these monsters for our country" while being in a band on the side. Mospeada did that, Dancougar did that, and every other Macross show pretty much did that in some way.

To me, he's likeable BECAUSE he gets on everyone's nerves, just like in real life. He doesn't go with the flow, he sets out his own path, and sometimes he screws up, sometimes not, but he's got that nomad thing going on, where even after he saves the universe he's all "whatever, gotta find something new to do now". If he was a sell-out hypocrite I would not like him. Even if I disagree sometimes with his attitude, I admire that he's always depicted as being true to himself.

I mean, come on, "John Lennon and his Flying Giant Robot"? How can anyone hate this show??

Oh, and DISCLAIMER: it's just a cartoon, anyway.

Edited by Renato

Well, I definitely think you have to go into Mac7 with the right mindset. On the specific subject of Basara, the one thing I think they could have changed about him was have the events of Mac7 actually affect him. He's basically the same character from episode 1 to episode 49.

But yeah, some of the things he says resurrects for me the ghost of Lynn Kaifun and that is NEVER A GOOD THING.

Well, I definitely think you have to go into Mac7 with the right mindset. On the specific subject of Basara, the one thing I think they could have changed about him was have the events of Mac7 actually affect him. He's basically the same character from episode 1 to episode 49.

Well, it affected him enough to question why he sings since no one seems to care and he can't move anyone or thing like he believed he could, and thus do some soul-searching for a whole story arc, after which he witnesses the depths of the galaxy, comes back, and finds his reason to keep on singing, his faith re-established. Has anybody actually watched this show??!

But yeah, some of the things he says resurrects for me the ghost of Lynn Kaifun and that is NEVER A GOOD THING.

Except Lynn Kaifun was a hypocrite because he wanted peace, love and unity, but then turns around and beats up everyone who disagrees with him. He wanted to run cities his way but had no clue about how to go about doing it. "I will be the one to handle things now, you warmongers! Hey, you, town mayor, listen to me, I know what I'm talking about" and then, boom. Basara in the same position, would have just walked away, he's not gonna chat to them about politics, he's just there to rock out and ignore logic. He's not a self-aggrandising alcoholic. Like I said, he is true to himself, which is something few people, myself included, can claim to be.

Again, since he is a cartoon character, it might be easier for him, though. :p

Have you ever heard Tenacious D's "City Hall"?? That's basically Kaifun right there.

Personally, I have no real opinion of Basara. Because I'm not allowed to KNOW Basara.

He's a filler character given the spotlight. He has no personality, no backstory, no PURPOSE.

WHY is he so passionate about his music? What makes him so unremittingly and extremely pacifist, that he will actively interfere with military operations to DEFEND THE FLEET FROM ATTACK? What, exactly makes him tick?

We don't know. We're never allowed to know.

He's a force of nature... with a guitar. Not a real person.

And THAT, more than anything, is what bothers me about Macross 7. Basara never gets any backstory or character development, despite being passionate enough to imply there's a LOT that could be said. And other characters that have actual lives and personalities get shunted to the side because Basara keeps running in and stealing the spotlight when they try to get some plot going.

I would not really care about the show if Basara was just a UN Spacy pilot saying "yessir, we will defeat these monsters for our country" while being in a band on the side. Mospeada did that, Dancougar did that, and every other Macross show pretty much did that in some way.

To be fair, Dancouga didn't make them a band until AFTER the TV show ended. Shinobu retired and started a band. Then everyone else joined it.

I mean, come on, "John Lennon and his Flying Giant Robot"? How can anyone hate this show??

Well it could also be "Justin Bieber and his Flying Giant Robot".

^_^

Oh, and DISCLAIMER: it's just a cartoon, anyway.

Yes, it's just a cartoon. And while it is Macross, I don't have to like everything and anything Macross.

Edited by Vifam7

Well, it affected him enough to question why he sings since no one seems to care and he can't move anyone or thing like he believed he could, and thus do some soul-searching for a whole story arc, after which he witnesses the depths of the galaxy, comes back, and finds his reason to keep on singing, his faith re-established. Has anybody actually watched this show??!

Except Lynn Kaifun was a hypocrite because he wanted peace, love and unity, but then turns around and beats up everyone who disagrees with him. He wanted to run cities his way but had no clue about how to go about doing it. "I will be the one to handle things now, you warmongers! Hey, you, town mayor, listen to me, I know what I'm talking about" and then, boom. Basara in the same position, would have just walked away, he's not gonna chat to them about politics, he's just there to rock out and ignore logic. He's not a self-aggrandising alcoholic. Like I said, he is true to himself, which is something few people, myself included, can claim to be.

Again, since he is a cartoon character, it might be easier for him, though. :p

Have you ever heard Tenacious D's "City Hall"?? That's basically Kaifun right there.

Well did Basara change, really? He had the opportunity to when he went on his little quest, but unless I'm missing something here, he's pretty much the exact same character afterwards. That's not a deal breaker for me but I wish it had happened so we would have got some insight into Basara.

And I'm NOT saying that Basara is LIKE Kaifun, I'm just saying that sometimes things he said reminded me of things Kaifun said and that will never be a plus with me.

And Basara is certainly NOT Justin Bieber with a giant robot. John Lennon, Basara and Yoshiki Fukuyama can all play their own instruments! :)

And BTW, who here thinks that the actual love triangle in mac7 should have been Basara/Sivil/Gigile?

WAnd Basara is certainly NOT Justin Bieber with a giant robot. John Lennon, Basara and Yoshiki Fukuyama can all play their own instruments! :)

QFT.

And BTW, who here thinks that the actual love triangle in mac7 should have been Basara/Sivil/Gigile?

Who says it wasn't...?

Edited by Gubaba

You get to know all you need to know. Basara is Basara.

That's not all I need to know if he's going to be the main character. I need an idea of what makes him tick.

I wouldn't watch an anime about an earthquake told from the perspective of the fault line. I wouldn't watch an anime about a hurricane told from the perspective of the storm. A force of nature is not an interesting focal point.

That was actually what drew me into Macross 7. After the first few episodes, I WANTED to know more about Basara. He was CLEARLY someone with an interesting story to be told.

By the end, I was just highly frustrated it was never told, especially as he got in the way of telling the stories of other people that wound up being more interesting.

It's weird, because the first I ever saw of Macross 7 was the little half hour movie. In it, I thought Basara was this cool energetic guy, good heroic material. Then I watch the TV series, and his presentation was just irritating and undeveloped through the whole show. (By contrast, Gavil irritated me to no end in the movie, but the TV show really won me over.)

The sad part is that I can see what they intended to make Basara, and it's a great and themely sort of character. Unfortunately, it's hard to really see that past the character actually in the series, who is about as convincing and charming as Anakin Skywalker's love story.

The up side is that Mylene is strong enough as a protagonist to carry the show, so I was still able to overcome this and enjoy the show. Past the early pacing, but that's a whole other matter.

Edited by Killer Robot

Hate the character. My most disliked character in all of amime and scifi.

This is definitely true for me. Basara was an obnoxious, self-righteous dickhead who is constantly pushing his views on others. He has no respect for other people's schedules, tastes, or ways of doing things. He's an insufferable twat who not once ever develops as a character, and this is only compounded by M7 having other far, far, far, FAR better characters such as Gamlin, Max, Miria, Mylene, Ray, etc...really, everyone in the damn show who who isn't him.

I could feel my face immediately turn to a sour grimace whenever the show went from something good (Max and Miria's relationship, Gamlin developing, etc.) to him. He was a presence that dragged down the quality of everything he was a part of.

Edited by RyuRoots

Isn't Mylene like a main character too. We learn basically everything about her during the show as well. And don't forget Gamlin-san <3

Both of them are what I call secondary-mains. They are stars, but not THE star, and their story arcs are hindered by the need to spend more time on Basara.

And pity poor Ray, who is a pivotal character to the plot(if only because he supplies and services Basara's valk before the formal creation of Sound Force), but has nothing at all happening onscreen.

Cof cof* Just one: Why does M7 sucks so much????

Seriously Basara is a really cool character 'til he opens his mouth. (to talk of course. I actually like some fire bomber tunes)The only one more annoying than him is Mylene and the cousin itt's bastard child she calls gubaba.

Oh, screw you, too.

This is definitely true for me. Basara was an obnoxious, self-righteous dickhead who is constantly pushing his views on others. He has no respect for other people's schedules, tastes, or ways of doing things. He's an insufferable twat who not once ever develops as a character, and this is only compounded by M7 having other far, far, far, FAR better characters such as Gamlin, Max, Miria, Mylene, Ray, etc...really, everyone in the damn show who who isn't him.

I could feel my face immediately turn to a sour grimace whenever the show went from something good (Max and Miria's relationship, Gamlin developing, etc.) to him. He was a presence that dragged down the quality of everything he was a part of.

I feel the same way. He's a loser. Not really about anything. And gets in the way during combat.

Basara is not smooth. When I think of him I picture this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WKu05a1D4

Edited by BeyondTheGrave