The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

That's cool.

Seems to be keeping in line with the Tigertrack and silver streak repaints.

I'll take a Marlboor.

BTW here is a fantastic article about wheeljack as a diaclone, and a Joustra release.

It talks about the Marlboor:

http://www.tf-1.com/articles/pretf/joustralan_template.html

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

Took some pictures of my Pointblank and peacemaker today. Really love this piece. The stickers have actually held up really well over the years.

Full Album:

http://imgur.com/a/mX1uX

t4uTxz9l.jpg

Y8BO1l5l.jpg

n34khzkl.jpg

nice gak! i just got back from a camping trip yesterday. great shots!!! G1 forever!!!

Didn't expect this twist, I thought MP-23 would be Star Saber, but I guess a repaint would make more sense before a new MP, especially Star Saber is the star of MP. Not familiar with diaclone, but I will still pick one up.

I think there's a 3P working on PointBlank as we speak.

My KO Masterpiece Convoy arrived today. Technically, this isn't an official Hasbro or Takara release. However, I thought I would do my own comparison with the official Takara MP-10 and post it here. The results were mixed. :blink:

post-5492-0-73427500-1409782772_thumb.png

Out of the box, the size difference that I thought I could see in the videos was not so easy to see in person. I had to stand MP-10 back to back with the KO before noticing these subtleties. Even then, I had to look to find them. The shoulders are just about level. Optimus's head is off by millimeters between the two (MP-10 is shorter). For those bothered by Takara's dead eyes, the first characteristic of the KO that stands out as a plus is the built in light piping.

post-5492-0-75045000-1409783289_thumb.png

But then, the arms seem off... (Takara's arm is on the left and KO's arm is on the right below)

post-5492-0-36201500-1409782988_thumb.png

Moving on, if someone were to take both pieces and avoid scrutinizing them carefully, the KO would stand out because of its paint apps. Really, that is the main draw of this release (as noted by others) and reviews have shown how well these are done already, so I will avoid repeating that here. I will say that the metal flake in the red and blue paint is a nice touch. Oddly, this is where the KO's benefits end.

One of these things

post-5492-0-11527200-1409783478.png

Is not like the other

post-5492-0-78392000-1409783507.png

The KO is a no-frills release, like MP-10B, and comes with the Ion blaster, the Matrix of leadership, and the Energon axe. All three of these accessories lack the quality found in the Takara and Hasbro releases (yes, even the YotH version). The Energon axe looks dreadful with no tone to it and malformed spikes. My KO Ion blaster did not move smoothly and appeared to be assembled incorrectly. I had to take it apart half-way, cut away some flashing and reassemble a couple springs before it popped open like the Takara MP-10 blaster. Furthermore, the assembly of the blaster was gappy. MP-10's blaster was not.

The KO Ion blaster is on the top, the MP-10 blaster is on the bottom

post-5492-0-90815600-1409783541_thumb.png

Speaking of flashing, there was also some left over on the KO figure itself! The eye sockets were not clean cut.

When posing the KO, there are some similarities with MP-10 but the KO reminds me more of the Hasbro MP releases. The joints are clicky, but are looser in the knees (like Hasbro MP Prime). The thigh (?) joints are super tight with a well-defined click---maybe a little too tight. The shoulder joints are about the same on MP-10 and the KO (both sliding in and out but not falling out) which I like.

One last thing: the windshield wipers are not a useful gimmick. I can see them getting in the way of transformation and becoming annoying or even breaking easily. I'm left wondering if this added detail was necessary.

And that leaves my recommendation. KO Convoy is not worth the investment if you just want a Masterpiece Prime. If Hasbro or Takara have a release that is readily available at retail, then it is worth buying one of those instead (even if you have to save some money to do it). The KO may be worth your time as a curiosity if you are a Convoy completionist, or want a fancy painted prime without doing all the painting yourself. Upgrading the lousy accessories that come with the KO should be easy enough, especially if the fists are the same size as MP-10. However, doing this will add to the cost of a KO that is already well north of $100.

Buyer beware.

Edited by technoblue

Good review technoblue. Pretty much what I figured.

Fun but flawed. I'll stick with my Takara prime :D

TFwiki is already updated:

• Exhaust started out as a Diaclone variant of the toy that would become Wheeljack, featuring a retooled head and a different color scheme and endorsement decals based on Marlboro cigarettes—albeit misspelled as "Marlboor", so as not to infringe on any trademarks (similar to Mirage's toy misspelling "Gitanes", another cigarette brand, as "Citanes"). For lack of an official name, the character was for many years known as "Marlboor Wheeljack" until the Masterpiece toy was announced, finally bestowing the name Exhaust on the character, in the process paying homage to his, ah, smokey origins.
  • The vehicle mode deco is specifically based on one of two Series 5 Stratos racing cars produced, the other being the car on which Wheeljack was based, though Exhaust's deco doesn't strive for the same level of accuracy. The original car on which the deco was based no longer exists as it was destroyed in a fire caused by its overheated engine.[1]Irony!
  • Exhaust's deco was also homaged by Prime "Hyperspeed" Wheeljack.
  • Exhaust is not the only Decepticon Wheeljack look-alike in the Transformers universe.

BBTS's price? Maybe a Typo that they will correct? But no that makes sense. $170 + 20. BBTS will probably ask $190.

I figured HLJ would get it for $140+40 bucks shipping due to the size. so $180.

Then their Exhaust is like $90 bucks....

Edited by Gakken85

Thanks for your 2 cents. I'll take your words into consideration. When is Takara supposed to re-release Prime anyway? I'll be damned if I pick up the Hasbro version.

There was a rumor that Takara will reissue MP-10 in Asia again sometime around April 2015. This is the version that comes with the stand and the coin. A few stores already have early preorders up, and I figure more will follow suit as the date approaches.

Good review technoblue. Pretty much what I figured.

Fun but flawed. I'll stick with my Takara prime :D

Thanks, Gakken!

Even with all my criticism it is a fun toy. It would have been a great deal too if the KO company had been able to price it below $100, but I'm sure that paint is expensive.

Looks like the cheapest deal will be TFSource with $169 shipped.

I see no way that HLJ can beat that.

Unless they ask $130 and you get sal or something...

Only thing I can think of, is that BBTS and TFsource now directly wholesale with Takara.

There's no way they can get that pricing with a middle man in the mix.

90$ is too much for Exhaust, but if he's anything limited he won't be on HLJ.

Hopefully he is general release like all the datsun brothers.

I don't think their will be anything limited about exhaust. Its just a repaint.

HLJ should still have him cheaper but who knows.

Could be that the day of cheap MPs at HLJ are over.

Their prices on Hot Toys have shot up.

Also, this reminds me of the ending of DYRL:

Edited by Gakken85

I don't think their will be anything limited about exhaust. Its just a repaint.

HLJ should still have him cheaper but who knows.

Could be that the day of cheap MPs at HLJ are over.

Their prices on Hot Toys have shot up.

Hot toys is in Hong Kong, so it makes sense they don't get any real deals.

In fact I've heard that they get shipments from Sideshow. But don't quote me.