1/24 scale valikuree.....

mslz22

I know i know, why not work on the 1/72nd scale monster....well my search for some decals for a set of replacement monster decals (that i still need to mail to HWR...sorry) yielded a box with some foam core parts for a 1/24 that i started scratch building a long time ago, they were cool but, since they were done so long ago, not reflective of my current skill set...my current skill set is improved but still humbled by some of the masters here...you know who you are. Anyway it sparked something in me and i began working feverishly on this scratch build for the last couple of weeks, it is still in it's very rough stage but I felt confident enough to start showing some of the WIP. This is the current state that it is in, it's obviously just cobbled together for a quick pic, but many of the major parts are at least roughed out, and i have started some of the panel lines etc. I am approaching this build a little like some of the studio models that i have done so much work on, both in style, like the slightly heavy handed panel lines, and limited amount of internal detailing (ie engine detail stuff like the 1/48 USV). I am planning a very detailed cockpit and pilot figure. Right now it's just a fighter mode model with no plans to make it variable, but I may use the parts to make a battroid at some point...

thanks

mike

060.jpg

059.jpg

065.jpg

Imagine an emoticon with eyes expanding and then exploding here.

I remember way back when seeing ads for a 1/24 scale valk for sale in japan and thinking how awesome that would be. Now looks like we will get to see one.

Any chance you'll have this done and be attending Wonderfest in Kentucky this year?

Thanks everyone, it will be big for sure, but not massive..around 2 feet in length. I will be casting it in PU resin, with the wings being done in a Heavy duty PU resin, much like what the 1/2000 Yamato macross is cast in, i don't want any warping on those. Most of the parts are relatively hollow to keep weight down, but the molds will still be pretty big....

I hope to have this and the 1/72nd monster done by Feb, at least the patterns, that will give me time to mold and finish a test kit before Wonderfest in May, right now i have half a table booked in the dealers room....I hope it comes together the way I would like, with 2 kids things do not always go as planned....

I will be working on this today and tomorrow and should have some more progress pics up over the weekend.

thanks

mike

Oh god..., if you and Neisen both set up in the dealers room this year I may end up selling my car and walking 240 miles home with about 400 pounds of resin strapped to my back.

I think Steve will be across the aisle from me, I think I am booked at the what is now 3rd JT graphics table, for the last couple of years they had 2 with another dealer on the bookend. I think Steve will be across the aisle with 2 tables this year, I think sharing with REL (but don't quote me on that)....but May is a long way away so things may change

mike

REL too? Do they have a plasma donor center nearby, I may be going home without a car, shirt, shoes or half my blood if I can find someone to buy it. Seriously, that is grounds for an assault charge against my wallet. Why don't you guys kidnap Moscato and set him up down there as well so I can have an aneurysm struggling with how I am going to explain a multi-thousand dollar hour in the dealers room during early bird time.

I guess I better start saving now.

~Edit~ Sorry for literring in the thread with jibber-jabber not really related to the topic, my excitement got the better of me, on with the show!

Edited by Ghadrack

Quick update from the weekend, got a few more of the major parts roughed out, a little more detailing going on, and the biggest PITA of the weekend was building the intake fan part. It's not only a detail part but is structural in that it will connect the intakes to the mid leg, providing not only a good amount of surface to glue the two together, but will also align the two parts.

thanks

mike

010-3.jpg

What the hell, where have I been??? 1/24 scale? Will this thing be for sale? As in mass production?

I remember the 1/24 Araii way back when, but a 1/24 garage? Holy crap.

Where are the decals.....

Just kidding. Id still like them for my monster rebuild here but seeing what you are doing here makes it worth it. You really need to go 1/9 scale and fiberglass. That way one could put some RC gas turbines in it.

Where are the decals.....

Just kidding. Id still like them for my monster rebuild here but seeing what you are doing here makes it worth it. You really need to go 1/9 scale and fiberglass. That way one could put some RC gas turbines in it.

I think you have enough R/C young man ;)

This is the first thread where I've subscribed for email updates. I look forward to watching the progress!

Damn. I'm gonna have to do the same.

Holy CRAP, Mike! That is gorgeous. So, any thoughts of enslaving yourself to the entire VF-1 series? Super elint, Strike and Super packs, etc etc etc? :p

Anyway, gorgeous. Do want. Am poor, presently, however. Will it end up in your usual price range, any idea?

Cheers,

Martyn

Damn. I'm gonna have to do the same.

Holy CRAP, Mike! That is gorgeous. So, any thoughts of enslaving yourself to the entire VF-1 series? Super elint, Strike and Super packs, etc etc etc? :p

Anyway, gorgeous. Do want. Am poor, presently, however. Will it end up in your usual price range, any idea?

Cheers,

Martyn

Hmmmmmmm......yes, me want too....you sell, yes?

Thanks, right now the plan is to start with the very basics, kit, flight mode, very reasonable entry level price point for something so large.....so yes in the range of most of my larger SS kits, as low as i can get it. After that i will think about super armor, I doubt there is enough interest in something this large for some of the more obscure stuff like the elint and super o, as much as i would love them, practicality will likely win that fight. I think someone asked about landing gear, right now i am not planning gear, not only as a cost saving measure, but practically speaking, the "footprint" of this model is so big that no standard shelving is big enough to display this landed, I am thinking it needs to be displayed much like a studio model, pipe/brass armature mounted to a wall/ceiling etc.....

thanks

mike

Brass tube for the landing gear construction with resin detail bits that slide over and glue on to it. Dont cast it in place on the brass since that would make cleanup a right bastard. Or better yet aluminum tube for the strut core. that way you can just polish it up for the exposed compression area.

On a side note. As much as id love to have one of these beasties i honestly would never be able to justify the cost. I dont have the liquid funds to afford it like i did in the USAF...

Edited by HWR MKII