New Homeworld 2 Macross Mod

shadow3393

From what i read before, you can't apply madstates to a turret joint. I don't know about the gundam mod, but it is easy to see if the moving parts are from a turret or not. Just see if it can auto-track a target. If the entire body is moving to align to the target then the animation is only at animation joints.

Blah, I figured as much.

I seen the gundam mods. It appears to that they assigned the related mesh(ie head and arm) to the weapon muzzle which gives it the effect of moving while firing. I used that method when I made the Cheyenne II.

This is gonna limit what I can do with the valks or any other transforming unit.

Don't want to hijack but ATK_M, here is what your models look like with MINOR texture tweek by me. No doubt I plan to add the proper decals later unless you release one later.

vf11test.jpg

Of course the back one is the white main and in front is Mylene. I had to tone downt eh shine map for both a lot otherwhise they look pure metallic and lose the diff in color! :)

Shadow, it's too bad you can't do a model switch, where the transformation sequence actually calls forth a second model (liek a stage 1, stage 2 thing). IF it could go quick enough it might not be very noticeable?

See I can do that but the game lags a sec and it's a static change only/cosmetic I can do all three modes though. The good thing is as a totally separate model I can add thrusters for rear vents and downward feet and new fire positions for gun/missiles.

I don't think I can do a model swap easily in HW2. I think I can probably code the transformation into the game however, but its long and complicated and I don't really want to do that. As of now I am brainstorming on how to get around this obstacle by either repositioning the hardpoints and weapons, or disabling the use of certain parts at certain intervals.

As I stated earlier, this problem is going to seriously affect what I can do with the valks, ie be able to attack in all modes.

Don't want to hijack but ATK_M, here is what your models look like with MINOR texture tweek by me. No doubt I plan to add the proper decals later unless you release one later.

I really doubt i will be releasing new stuff. After i started studing music (playing guitar), i sort of lost interest in 3d modeling and drawing...

The VF-11 model is unifinished, the planned was a full transformable version from fighter to battroid.

Maybe there is a problem with my model, looking at your screenshot, at the cockpit there are hard edges where shouldn' be. Or the exported messed up with the normals.

Blah, I figured as much.

I seen the gundam mods. It appears to that they assigned the related mesh(ie head and arm) to the weapon muzzle which gives it the effect of moving while firing. I used that method when I made the Cheyenne II.

This is gonna limit what I can do with the valks or any other transforming unit.

So you have to use a combination of things done with HW2. Take a good look at the PDS system, use that sytem to trigger an animatiom and emulate what gunmad mod does to simulate moving parts atleaft for Valkrie's.

So during sustained flight there in fighter mode, when they engage a target this switch to gerwalk mode and for defense agains in coming missles battloid mode. I know its not as easy as it sounds but if you position the hardpoint on the fighters right and add a few moving parts during the transformations, it wont matter that the hardpoints dont move when fiing plus it waill all be happeneing so fast none will really notice it. An option with the larger transforming capital ships, disengage the other weapons and hardpoionts during the firing sequence this was it won't look funky

Update

The NMC can now transform at will, by pushing the key t. Still working on the hardpoint issue.

So during sustained flight there in fighter mode, when they engage a target this switch to gerwalk mode and for defense agains in coming missles battloid mode. I know its not as easy as it sounds but if you position the hardpoint on the fighters right and add a few moving parts during the transformations, it wont matter that the hardpoints dont move when fiing plus it waill all be happeneing so fast none will really notice it. An option with the larger transforming capital ships, disengage the other weapons and hardpoionts during the firing sequence this was it won't look funky

I was hoping I would not have to do that, I was planning to link all the modes to flight maneuvers and have them transform on the fly. It would been a more dynamic show.

Update

The NMC can now transform at will, by pushing the key t. Still working on the hardpoint issue.

I was hoping I would not have to do that, I was planning to link all the modes to flight maneuvers and have them transform on the fly. It would been a more dynamic show.

I agreed but having to controll all those unts individual transformations might be a bit taxing dont you say, and them fighting out tranforming to react to each situation seems more dynamic to me.

I know it's not related, but have any of you tried the old Xenoforce Mod for Generals ZH?

Homura had a few diff units: Fighters that would move and then in combat change to Batts.

Gerwalks that would stay in that form. And pure fighters that would never change.

It's an older game and bug ridden, but when you have SDF-1 and B7 both fire at the same target it's complete overkill as they make a path of destruction you seldom see in games. :)

Edited by Star Dragon

After some brainstorming, I think I have hit a pretty big problem involving the valk transformations. The MAD animations can only be triggered by very specific conditions. User control of the units' transformation is pretty much out of the question. Using the 3 forms for different purposes is still doable, I think, but I don't think I can make them attack specific (ie having the valks transform into battroids to attack missiles). But I, for the mean time, will continue to look for workarounds for this problem.

On other topics, I am still looking for good pics of the Vajira destroyer. If anyone has some good pics send them, my way. I was able to correct one of my errors regarding the Vajira scout by looking at some pics from the new PSP game. So if anyone has the PSP game and if the Vajira destroyer is in the game, it would be awesome for my mod effort, to get some screencaps of the destroyer.

Here is my unfinished model of the Ugara. Still needs a lot of greebles and the underside needs some fixing, but I just can't find proper reference pics. Oh yeah, smoothings groups are fuxored.

[Edit] Completely redone model. Still only 1700 polys.

th_uragabelow.jpgth_uraga-back.jpgth_uraga-perp.jpgth_uraga-perp1.jpgth_uraga-perp2.jpgth_uraga-side.jpgth_uragabelow-1.jpg

Edited by DarkReaper

Don't worry about it too much. Some animes have a hell of a time getting accurate dimensions or details from all angles.

Damn just look at SDF-1, in the original series it grew or shrunk from scene to scene despite what it's supposed to be opposed by what the inside was supposed to end up carrying (like a TARDIS). :)

Tiny touches like a few greebles in the right place (antennas, weapon mounts, maybe 3-4 bits of engine piping) can make that bit of difference in a mesh. Don't forget the final texture. A decal here, light there is just as enhanceable.

Oh BTW, I think I got a hold of MP and I'll get clarification of what he's up to: Either he's rebuilt the VO meshes I sent him to get rid of errors, or he remade them from scratch. he just posted liek several meshes (zent/melt) so when I get the word I'll let you know instead of the lower quality I posess (raw VO's with possible errors still).

TBC.

Btw is there a poly limit for Homeworld 2?

At relic's documents there are advices about how much you should spend with each kind of ship. But that's for the time when Geforce 3 was the most advanced card. I could get a model with a 26k poly count in game, probably could do with even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the Vajra carrier open its hull like that. IIRC when it about to fire, the upper and lower hull split in the same manner as the Zentraedi gunship (it slides up/down instead of rotating on one pivot point),

Another question, how will you balance the game unit? If you make the Vajra units exactly like the TV series then the red lobster will be overpowered with their BFG.

I don't think the Vajra carrier open its hull like that. IIRC when it about to fire, the upper and lower hull split in the same manner as the Zentraedi gunship (it slides up/down instead of rotating on one pivot point),

Another question, how will you balance the game unit? If you make the Vajra units exactly like the TV series then the red lobster will be overpowered with their BFG.

You limit their numbers and if it's a playable race, it will take a LOT of resources and research to finally be able to make one.

Another way is to treat them like a small cap ship which requires several research modules to be built before any can be available on the tech tree for production.

You limit their numbers and if it's a playable race, it will take a LOT of resources and research to finally be able to make one.

Another way is to treat them like a small cap ship which requires several research modules to be built before any can be available on the tech tree for production.

And here I am thinking I could use Vajring rush tactic to crush the NUNS :lol:

Actually I had it other way before, I swear I must have watched the sequence like a 15 time, it seemed to open like that, on looking at it again, you are right. I guess I tired.

--edit--

Animation fixed

My plan for the vajira

The yellow vajira(scouts) cost and build time are going to be comparable to the normal valks.

The red vajira are going to be significantly more expensive and takes longer to build, but going to be as strong as a Northampton frigate.

Yellow vajiras are going to be more effective (ie faster and have more hp) near red vajira. Red vajira are going to be more effective around vajira capital ships.

These bonuses however can be jammed by certain UNS units.

I actually have a plan to portray the vajira adaptation in game. through research increasing hp and changing armor classes. Can be countered UNS research and units.

post-10089-1226037152_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1226037174_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow3393

The red vajira are going to be significantly more expensive and takes longer to build, but going to be as strong as a Northampton frigate.

Yellow vajiras are going to be more effective (ie faster and have more hp) near red vajira. Red vajira are going to be more effective around vajira capital ships.

These bonuses however can be jammed by certain UNS units.

Are you going to make UNS units that bump Ranka or Sheryl songs, then?

Are you going to make UNS units that bump Ranka or Sheryl songs, then?

I haven't looked into that part of coding yet, so I am not 100% sure it is feasible yet. However if I can do it, I will probably have different modules play different songs. Each will be effective against different types of enemies, ie Minmay for Zentrandi and Meltrandis, Firebomber for Varauta, and Sheryl/Ranka for Vajira. Also I will have Electronic Warfare units that will disrupt normal human communications.

Edited by shadow3393

I haven't looked into that part of coding yet, so I am not 100% sure it is feasible yet. However if I can do it, I will probably have different modules play different songs. Each will be effective against different types of enemies, ie Minmay for Zentrandi and Meltrandis, Firebomber for Varauta, and Sheryl/Ranka for Vajira. Also I will have Electronic Warfare units that will disrupt normal human communications.

That is pretty cool.