AKIRA LIVE ACTION MOVIE = Life Support?

They already ruined the Anime with that new vocal track...

You are so right! I had the old English dub memorized lol, then when they released the DVD I was like awwww :(. I actually only watch it with Japanese audio and English subs now anyway. I had to watch the dub back in the day when I only had it on VHS.

• 6 months later...

Yay, I hope it dies off.

So do we all. But instead it will end up in the hands of a talentless hack with no respect for the source material and it's originating culture, streamlined for the summer blockbuster audience and cast with twentysomething american idol clones, buried in an epic FX orgy, and the whole farce will continue to laugh in our faces in the form of two sequels

/rant

I did like Collet-Serra's "Orphan", mainly for it's lead actress, but after reading his comments on Akira, I wanted to crush him with my Otomo collection.

I'd be cool with a live action Akira if they used GOOD Japanese actors and Hollywood effects!

Fixed it for you. There are some craptacular Japanese actors as well. Did you watch Yamato live action? Talk about a $hit ton of overacting. Okita was probably the only character I could tolerate, otherwise they'll just get a bunch of boy-band idol types to turn it into a total trainwreck.

That being said, I'd take the trainwreck over this abomination any day of the week:

http://www.blastr.co...l-anime-version

May as well call it Bill instead of Akira, and have it take place on the moon. Sounds like this guy wanks to his Michael Bay wall poster everynight.

Edited by peter

“I hope that I can bring strong characters. In the original source material, I don't think the main characters are the protagonists. What I'm hoping is to bring characters … Nobody’s interesting. Tetsuo's interesting because weird sh*t happens to him, and Kaneda is so two-dimensional. That's part of the Japanese culture, they never have strong characters. They're used as a way to move the other philosophy forward.

What?!

Edited by PetarB

Fixed it for you. There are some craptacular Japanese actors as well. Did you watch Yamato live action? Talk about a $hit ton of overacting. Okita was probably the only character I could tolerate, otherwise they'll just get a bunch of boy-band idol types to turn it into a total trainwreck.

Yeah, I have the live movie on DVD. Decent effects and sets. I'd tolerate the acting if it wasn't for the weak plot. What a waste. Amazing how 2199 was able to surpass all that though.

They need to do a re-make of the live action film. In fact, I don’t mind if they keep trying. It took this long to get something so awesome as 2199, I’m sure that if they keep trying, they’ll get something just as awesome in live-action.

Akira on the other hand, from what I’ve read so far, is dead before it even starts. Do you remember there was a time when it was going to be in New York? WTF.

Akira has the potential to be done right. Look at Yamato, it would have been a complete fail (instead of the partial fail that it was) if they changed much more than that. The ship was undeniably Yamato, no two friggin ways about it. Can you imagine if they made Macross into a live action film, and used the F35 as the basis for the VF-1A Valkyrie? Macrossworld would start a war with Hollywood.

LEAVE KANEDA”S BIKE THE WAY IT IS. Leave the character’s the way they are as well, for that matter. Did this clown even read the manga??? “Nobody’s interesting”? I thought Kaneda was very interesting....or is it because I have a little understanding of Japanese culture? Please, someone correct me if I’m wrong. If they want to make this film for the Michael Bay Transformer crowd, just do the fans a favour and don’t call it Akira.

47 Ronin with Keanu Reeves might have been better off if they simply called it something else.....but they choose to take such an iconic title and roll the dice with it.

I want to see an Akira live action movie, but it will take a miracle to get it right with the way things are going.

Edited by peter

They need to do a re-make of the live action film. In fact, I don’t mind if they keep trying. It took this long to get something so awesome as 2199, I’m sure that if they keep trying, they’ll get something just as awesome in live-action.

Akira on the other hand, from what I’ve read so far, is dead before it even starts. Do you remember there was a time when it was going to be in New York? WTF.

Akira has the potential to be done right. Look at Yamato, it would have been a complete fail (instead of the partial fail that it was) if they changed much more than that. The ship was undeniably Yamato, no two friggin ways about it. Can you imagine if they made Macross into a live action film, and used the F35 as the basis for the VF-1A Valkyrie? Macrossworld would start a war with Hollywood.

LEAVE KANEDA”S BIKE THE WAY HE IS. Leave the character’s the way they are as well, for that matter. Did this clown even read the manga??? “Nobody’s interesting”? I thought Kaneda was very interesting....or is it because I have a little understanding of Japanese culture? Please, someone correct me if I’m wrong. If they want to make this film for the Michael Bay Transformer crowd, just do the fans a favour and don’t call it Akira.

47 Ronin with Keanu Reeves might have been better off if they simply called it something else.....but they choose to take such an iconic title and roll the dice with it.

I want to see an Akira live action movie, but it will take a miracle to get it right with the way things are going.

Sayin' - why mess with perfection? :p

*I'm gonna stay out of this thread now, I'm past the point of sounding like a broken record

-b.

• 2 months later...

Truly an A for effort.

But Akira should remain as anime or manga only.

-b.

Copy THAT. Some things are better left the way they are...

Guest davidwhangchoi

They already ruined the Anime with that new vocal track...

You are so right! I had the old English dub memorized lol, then when they released the DVD I was like awwww :(. I actually only watch it with Japanese audio and English subs now anyway. I had to watch the dub back in the day when I only had it on VHS.

guys, sorry for quoting your old posts and going off topic haha. i was thinking the same thing too but akira on the latest blu ray got re-released with the original streamline english dub that wasnt on the original blu ray.

i was so happy now we have all three tracks

Very impressive Fan made video, looks like they borrowed scenes from the Manga & Anime. The opening City sequence was impressive and the Teddy Bear was great. Hopefully these guys can get some serous $$$ to further fund it!

Nope. Not even close.

What do you mean? It totally has two wheels!

You guys are so mean!!: (Or maybe just HD lovers :D )

1) V shaped front design: Check

2) Mirrors on fairing: Check

3) Seat style saddle: Check

4) Feet forward design: Check

5) Futuristic look : Check

Edited by charger69

If that were used as the live action movie version I would not object, have to be painted red of course. Obviously it would not even remotely pass as the "real" one but the lines on it are reminiscent of it.

Cool looking bike on it's own and I like it, but in an Akira film, Kaneda's bike HAS to look like this:

Sick effort on the fan's part, that is an awesome short film, and I love how they adapted scenes from the manga. WB should be so lucky to make something even close to being this awesome.

Would have been great if they did a Japanese language dub in there, just to suck in some JDM fans.

Edited by peter

The bike in the video is under scaled.

Also would be better if the chassis was based on the Bimota Tes with front and rear swingarm instead of front forks.

http://kaz32.com/guestgallery/peter/jpeg/Bimota01.jpg

Old Quasar Bike.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/7quasars.jpg/280px-7quasars.jpg