1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Feet thrusters shouldn't be sticking out that far in fighter mode, from the pictures I've seen. Also, they look like VF-1 feet thrusters, and I don't think that's right, either.

vf-4-la3.jpg

-Kyp

Which book is that pic from? I gotta know. Never seen it before.

Graham

The feet/nozzles really don't "work" if you compare battroid and fighter mode drawings. Looking from above, as you go from the root to the tips---in battroid, they taper. In fighter mode, they get wider. 100% anime (or ink+paper) magic. Like the intakes vs hips of a YF-19. Opposite shapes in different modes despite being the same part.

I had thought of a way with an "atypical for a valk" foot-hinge, but it still wouldn't look right due to interior vs exterior. (the nozzle would flip 135 degrees or so, and pivot at the aft end, rather than pivoting at the forward end 45 degrees like normal) This would give "opposite taper directions" in each mode, but then you have the inside of the nozzle becoming the outside of the foot, and vice-versa. That may actually work due to the VF-4's flat, paddle-like nozzles, but probably wouldn't be a very stable or good-looking foot.

They also really need to extend/slide outwards, like an Sv-51/VF-25's do, to look right in fighter mode---they should be flush with the sides of the nacelle, not sticking out behind it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graham---several of those detailed VF-4 drawings are at Mr March's site:

http://www.macross2....ck2012/vf-4.htm

The bottom 5, apparently sourced from a Musasiya kit. Notable for showing a VF-4 withOUT the missiles attached.

If it's not too late, can you get Yamato to add the arresting hook? It's clearly shown here. (are they even aware of these pics? So many nice details, especially the landing gear)

I think it's pretty clear that's a rough CAD done with simple geometry just to get the basic layout right. Surely that's not the final exact shape of the wings and tailfins, etc.

Anyways, battroid notes: I'm thinking the overall "overhanging chest" part looks off. Too long, not rounded enough. Shorten that up, make it stubbier. Also, the whole nosecone/pelvis section needs to be further aft I think, more "under the head" vs under the protruding chest.

Also, the whole nosecone/pelvis section needs to be further aft I think, more "under the head" vs under the protruding chest.

I think nosecone should be under the protruding chest, but the waist/pelvis part should align with the head.

IMO, it currenlty looks good.

vf4gwaist01.png

vf4axis.png

Waist area in red should be the main axis of the body

vf4gwaist.png

Edited by charger69

Overall I like what I see, though I agree that the feet are off. My main issue with yamato's design is the nose. To me it would look better either a little longer or maybe with more of an upward curve on the underside. The more I think about it, it's the curve...it's practically non existent. I know compromises are needed to make a transformable toy, but I don't see why in this instance. Just my critiques, which mean nothing. ;). Still get one if the price is reasonable.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The thing is I'm wondering if having the nose tapered up a little bit won't interfere with locking mechanisms when in Battroid? On the other hand the neck on the Yamato valk is stubbier and thicker so maybe if that were extended it wouldn't be such an issue either? However it could interfere with other internal mechanisms/alignments. Engineering is quite a trade-off sometimes.

I do think the CAD art for Battroid looks good... I also seem to be one of the few who really likes the chesty/shoulder-pad look on this one too (kinda like the line-backer look of the VF-17 as well.)

Edited by Mommar

Like this? :)

vf4gcomp03.png

Yup, that would be perfect! I think that looks soooo much better. Shame it probably won't happen. :(

Graham any possibility of showing any of these concerns to Yamato?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Well, I'm quite impressed with this first showing. Especially given the fact that this is one of the earlier designs that has quite a bit of "anime magic" in its transformation and wasn't exactly thought out like the VF-1 since its not a central character - Yamato has done a remarkable job at comprimising all the various modes into a coherent whole - I'm pretty happy. The canards are just way too big in the MMM Lineart (what is MMM?) and the profile just doesn't flow as well as the Yamato profile - however, I do agree with the upward turn of the nose cone as above. My main problem with the VF-4 and all its resin iterations has been the plan view, the forward fuselage just seems too thin, too needle-like (while the profile - side elevation is great) - my main reason for not getting any of the resin kits thus far - Yamato still has that needle-like plan view - my personal taste would be to fatten it a little - same as the VF-1 would be nice.

However, overall, I'm quite impressed and very much looking forward to adding this baby to my collection - please Graham, if we don't get tampo printed everything, then ask for water-slide decals as well?

The fighter looks a bit more like the VF-X-4, and I kind of like that. I'm with WM, that the previous models have all looked to spindly. That being said, the legs look too skinny in this prelim design. I've never been a big fan of this batroid, but I'm curious to see how the actual toy looks.

(null)

If only I could transform these toys that fast...

The fighter looks a bit more like the VF-X-4, and I kind of like that. I'm with WM, that the previous models have all looked to spindly. That being said, the legs look too skinny in this prelim design. I've never been a big fan of this batroid, but I'm curious to see how the actual toy looks.

(null)

I doubt there will be a way to get the legs thicker without making the fighter mode look absolutely ridiculous. Those two pylons on the wings are already larger on the CAD drawing then the line art. Just like the 17 those legs simply can't realistically get thicker.

I think the canards need to be bigger

Even more madness :D

Notes:

- Stabilizers are quite small

- Nose cone sligthly smaller

- Wing tips need some extension parts that only David knows their exact names :D

I'd agree that the canards should be bigger. I also feel that Yamato should decrease the dihedral angle on the same canards. I've always felt that the some of the linearts and resin kit builds out there tend to over-do the dihedral angle.

The dihedral should be at a lower angle like this particular lineart -

vf4_draw_2.jpg

Compare to Yamato's :

vf-4dihedral01.jpg

Edited by Vifam7

Is that a fan created manual? - doesn't seem to follow the lineart in my official books as much...

It's a fan created website but they use images from whatever official, and other, material they can find. What does the lineart from your books look like?

If they still insist on using those feet, then this could be one solution:

post-4560-0-50898200-1327425481_thumb.png

Although in this image from FB 2012, they do stick out just a tad, and the CAD's tail fins appear to be correct meaning this is most likely going to be Hikaru's valk, IMO.

post-4560-0-95255300-1327426129_thumb.jpg

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

actually, I half thought yamato and kawamori would have just retconned the feet into a more conventional design and ditched the flipper foot altogether.

Personally, not going to get too worked up about line art comparisons as there doesn't seem to be a lot of really refined line art for the vf-4 anyways.

I thought we would get the VF-4 news in February, do you know guys why it happened now? Do they appear in a still-to-be-released magazine?

I like what I see by the way. There’s a lot of room for improvements yet so I’m counting on Yamato’s savoir faire.

actually, I half thought yamato and kawamori would have just retconned the feet into a more conventional design and ditched the flipper foot altogether.

Personally, not going to get too worked up about line art comparisons as there doesn't seem to be a lot of really refined line art for the vf-4 anyways.

I think the best lineart for the VF-4 in fighter mode came with the Musashiya kit : http://anime.geocities.jp/emiri_0624/VF-4_Siren.html

I thought we would get the VF-4 news in February, do you know guys why it happened now? Do they appear in a still-to-be-released magazine?

I like what I see by the way. There’s a lot of room for improvements yet so I’m counting on Yamato’s savoir faire.

Maybe February will actually be resin prototype images?

Overall I like what I see, though I agree that the feet are off. My main issue with yamato's design is the nose. To me it would look better either a little longer or maybe with more of an upward curve on the underside. The more I think about it, it's the curve...it's practically non existent. I know compromises are needed to make a transformable toy, but I don't see why in this instance. Just my critiques, which mean nothing. ;). Still get one if the price is reasonable.

Chris

Agree completely about the nose, though I don't care about the feet as much