Macross MMO

Goshawk

I havent seen anywhere in the forums, but I thick it would be awsome if they made an Massive Multiplayer Online game for Macross. Since I work for a radio station that caters to MMO's, I just think it would be great to have something like that. What do you guys think?

no. :ph34r:

Macross is seriously story-driven and centered on a few characters. I think it would lose a great deal in translation to a MMO, regardless of the era it was modelled after (SDF/DYRL, MacPlus, Mac7, Zero, etc). Missions would likely be very repetitive, and to create a true sense of realism, at least 1/3 of your characters would be dying in each conflict. You'd have a hard time driving up sales while keeping it even remotely close to any of the series.

Besides, with a few weirdos as the exception, everyone and their dog would want to fly Valkyries... and everyone knows CPU-controlled enemies are hella easy to figure out and destroy.

Bottom line? No way.

You know what would be fun though is if it were a MMO that was setup like Battlefield 1942, someone with enough skill could even do a mod with it. Someone did one with modern equipment and it was awesome.

I've heard from people who beta tested for UC Online (CassRX from Gundam communities for one, you guys may have seen some art from him) and his feedback on it was generally negative. After hearing that, I never really liked the notion of MMOs based off mecha franchises.

(I tend not to like MMOs that much anyway, heh :p )

Edited by haro genki

no. :ph34r:

Macross is seriously story-driven and centered on a few characters. I think it would lose a great deal in translation to a MMO, regardless of the era it was modelled after (SDF/DYRL, MacPlus, Mac7, Zero, etc). Missions would likely be very repetitive, and to create a true sense of realism, at least 1/3 of your characters would be dying in each conflict. You'd have a hard time driving up sales while keeping it even remotely close to any of the series.

Besides, with a few weirdos as the exception, everyone and their dog would want to fly Valkyries... and everyone knows CPU-controlled enemies are hella easy to figure out and destroy.

Bottom line? No way.

A. Start with an academy. That gives you room to build your skills. And if its set post-colonization, you can keep the world from getting too crowded. Station people on diffrent planets, and the "hard mode" can station you on a colony ship headed into the unknown. Lot of room for action there.

B. I'd be a zentradi. Just so I could frag everyone that made Robotech references, or used "leet speak."

it's pretty much "teh ghey", deserving to be used in doses of "little to nonewhatsoever". Thank the adolescent young fools on IRC for giving birth to this BS.

It predates IRC, actually.

Other common, but wrong, origins:

Megatokyo.

Starcraft.

Any other PC game with netplay.

Truthfully, it began as a way for pirates and hackers to talk about their illegal activities without being auto-banned by BBS moderation scripts in teh pre WWW days.

A. Start with an academy. That gives you room to build your skills. And if its set post-colonization, you can keep the world from getting too crowded. Station people on diffrent planets, and the "hard mode" can station you on a colony ship headed into the unknown. Lot of room for action there.

B. I'd be a zentradi. Just so I could frag everyone that made Robotech references, or used "leet speak."

JBO I agree with you, starting at the Acadamey would be a good idea. lol I be temped to play a Zentradi or at least have one of each toon.

JBO I agree with you, starting at the Acadamey would be a good idea. lol I be temped to play a Zentradi or at least have one of each toon.

Oh yeah... there should be a "fast track"academy for multi-character accounts. So once you've gone through one academy, the others don't duplicate it's content.

Going through the full academy every time would get OLD.

Why should you learn the interface with your new destroid pilot when you already learned that as a meltran warrior? And again before that as a Valk pilot.

And for a second valk pilot, let's just skip the academy segment and drop them straight into the game with their cannon fodder 1A.

I LOATHE games that don't let you skip the tutorials/cutscenes on replay.

Jbo, You are giving me ideas like crazy, I have some of mine already and you are expanding on them lol.

Well you start off with your "first" toon like you said in basic training on what Mecha you wanted to pilot, IE Valk, Spartan, tomahwk for example, if you change classes you have to drop the one in your now, or once you master that class you can pilot any of those, Master the Valk class, you would be able to pilot all the ships, Master the Destroid Class, you would get all the destroids, or if you wanted to go higher, you can Master a certian destroid.

what you think?

it would be ok if somebody made it but legality and economicly it wouldn't do too well. You got the HG mafia going to make sure it gets its 101% cut of the profits and if everyone thats active on the boards has an account it would barely pay for the expenses for the upkeep of the servers and pay for the programers.

Jbo, You are giving me ideas like crazy, I have some of mine already and you are expanding on them lol.

Well you start off with your "first" toon like you said in basic training on what Mecha you wanted to pilot, IE Valk, Spartan, tomahwk for example, if you change classes you have to drop the one in your now, or once you master that class you can pilot any of those, Master the Valk class, you would be able to pilot all the ships, Master the Destroid Class, you would get all the destroids, or if you wanted to go higher, you can Master a certian destroid.

what you think?

Sounds good to me.

And Destroid skills(Monster excepted) would boost VF battroid skills. Especially with the Spartan.

Similarly, GBP-1 training would boost destroid skills, especially Spartan.

I just wanted to sat that its gonna be awhile before i can type again, this is left handed, I got second degree burns all over my right hand trying to stop a fire today.

Jbo I may have to pic up where we left off later. lol

I just wanted to sat that its gonna be awhile before i can type again, this is left handed, I got second degree burns all over my right hand trying to stop a fire today.

Jbo I may have to pic up where we left off later. lol

Ouch.

Get well soon.

Here's one element that some may have forgotten about Macross... you now have to create a love triangle between you and to other NPC's, or PCs, or a combination of both. After that, solve the problem and go on a big mission afterwards, rinse, wash and repeat... while using the same formula as mentioned from previous post in how to advance your character, and be stationed to other bases.

This would not be such a bad idea, though isn't Macross mostly a space drama versus always fighting in space?

Wouldn't the developers have to overcome the drama part and make it involving for the players. Players would have to do a certain quest... correct that a specific errand before the next red alert takes place (which can happen within minutes, hours or days) and pilots must get to their post within the time limit to be launched or be penalized?

Well... thats some of the ideas that a developer would think about.

Though I would suspect that they might be better off learning some of the non-combat portion of the game by using some the techniques used in Phantasy Star Online, and the combat version from Planetside or Star Wars Galaxies.

But, imo, if they decide to do create an MMO out of it... I do hope that they find ways to accept every aspect of what makes Macross trully enjoyable to watch.

though isn't Macross mostly a space drama versus always fighting in space?

Wouldn't Keith say that is all about the power of music and love?

Oooohhh...

Create character: civilian.

Class: musician.

Additional skill: Valkyrie pilot.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!

create char: Zentran (micron sized)

class: roaming door to door sellsman

additional skill: giant vacume launching gun sniper skill to any mechs with arms and hands.

special ability: def (can't hear) more resistant to culture shock.

I always wanted one where you'd have a massive campain-styled sim, where, oh say, there would be long-standing "tours of duty," like Space War 1, or the Zent inserection. If there was, o say, an attack on the SDF-1 that the Valks and Destriods(PC) by the Zentradei(PC). And whomever "died" in the fight was out, they would lose their status and rank(like the old X-wing games) and they'd have to retrain for a certain period at an entry-level rank, or join another tour. This would create a good attachment to the players character. Anyone who servives at the end of the tour can keep that rank whenever they die in another tour. And in between fights the players can socialize in their respective camps.

The weaknesses of this ideal are obvious: You'd have to have pre-arranged fight times, eliminating the suprise attack feel, you'd have to get a certain quota of players, not just total but for both sides(it would be a little silly to have more Valks then Zents in SW1 :rolleyes: ), and man, would it ever be the suck to lose your character at the final Bodolza fight due to lag? But if they could get the servers to handle it, wouldn't 400+ man battles be the greatest? B))

I always wanted one where you'd have a massive campain-styled sim, where, oh say, there would be long-standing "tours of duty," like Space War 1, or the Zent inserection. If there was, o say, an attack on the SDF-1 that the Valks and Destriods(PC) by the Zentradei(PC). And whomever "died" in the fight was out, they would lose their status and rank(like the old X-wing games) and they'd have to retrain for a certain period at an entry-level rank, or join another tour. This would create a good attachment to the players character. Anyone who servives at the end of the tour can keep that rank whenever they die in another tour. And in between fights the players can socialize in their respective camps.

The weaknesses of this ideal are obvious: You'd have to have pre-arranged fight times, eliminating the suprise attack feel, you'd have to get a certain quota of players, not just total but for both sides(it would be a little silly to have more Valks then Zents in SW1 :rolleyes: ), and man, would it ever be the suck to lose your character at the final Bodolza fight due to lag? But if they could get the servers to handle it, wouldn't 400+ man battles be the greatest? B))

If you allow a mix of AI bots and player characters, it becomes far less difficult to get a suitable team assembled.

Of course, if anyone is trying for actual role-playing, it'll be kind of torpedoed by the fact that "RoyFocker1234654173" and "MaxSterlingCuzMacrossSuxNRobotechRulez!11111" keep disappearing from the Daedalus and being replaced with "Drone 114" and "Drone257."

Which, sadly, would quite likely be an improvement, as the drones would play along instead of going "D00d, WTF R U DOING ROELPLAY IZ TEH GHEY".

guess if your uber enough in the rpg universe you can blow up macross and have all the characters on it instantly die.

Heh.

I can just see a stray shot from a cannon fodder causing a barrier overload.

"BrowniePilot has just PKed the fleet".

I always wanted one where you'd have a massive campain-styled sim, where, oh say, there would be long-standing "tours of duty," like Space War 1, or the Zent inserection.  If there was, o say, an attack on the SDF-1 that the Valks and Destriods(PC) by the Zentradei(PC).  And whomever "died" in the fight was out, they would lose their status and rank(like the old X-wing games) and they'd have to retrain for a certain period at an entry-level rank, or join another tour.  This would create a good attachment to the players character.  Anyone who servives at the end of the tour can keep that rank whenever they die in another tour.  And in between fights the players can socialize in their respective camps.

The weaknesses of this ideal are obvious:  You'd have to have pre-arranged fight times, eliminating the suprise attack feel, you'd have to get a certain quota of players, not just total but for both sides(it would be a little silly to have more Valks then Zents in SW1 :rolleyes: ), and man, would it ever be the suck to lose your character at the final Bodolza fight due to lag?  But if they could get the servers to handle it, wouldn't 400+ man battles be the greatest? B))

If you allow a mix of AI bots and player characters, it becomes far less difficult to get a suitable team assembled.

Of course, if anyone is trying for actual role-playing, it'll be kind of torpedoed by the fact that "RoyFocker1234654173" and "MaxSterlingCuzMacrossSuxNRobotechRulez!11111" keep disappearing from the Daedalus and being replaced with "Drone 114" and "Drone257."

Which, sadly, would quite likely be an improvement, as the drones would play along instead of going "D00d, WTF R U DOING ROELPLAY IZ TEH GHEY".

Yes, but we all know that AI-fighters can be rather retarded, at least when it comes to backing you up.

That was one of the things I was thinking about while playing the .hack games, if this was supposed to be a simulated MMORPG, where were the idiots questioning my sexuality, running into crap for no reason, and asking all the female-looking characters for contact info? :rolleyes:

Hey guys, woot finally back.

man I have been reading over ever thing people have to say about this and I have to say wow. I think it wouls be interesting to have a game like if the fans could put the ideas down to see if they work, I mean everyone has some awsome ideas, I would have never thouht of.

Thought of the week lol, Second degree burns over your right hand SUCK!. sorry had to say it

I think that the a planet style esque combat system, and a rgp element with skill points, and destriod/valkyrie skills, would be cool, and being able to socialize would be cool, and mayb, here are some ideas I have

Maybe falling in love with someone could get you some kind of bonus, like stamina/or health, but to stop people for joining relationships with other people quickly, the longer you stay in the relationship the higher the bonus is, with some sim esque system of managing it,

If you could pilot destroids, you should have something to do, example: small wave comes in, and all the valks nuke 'em before you can even get a target, so maybe they intorduce some kind of landing craft that land on sdf, and initiate combat with destroids

and a pen and paper rpg would kinda be cool too