1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

At first, I was "meh" at the possibility of this thing getting made, but over the last couple of weeks, I've grown to really like the design for it's uniqueness, the fact that it's not anything like the other Valkyries made since. That having been said, my opinion about adding hard points, gunpod attachments, and such is thus:

I sincerely hope that they don't put any hard points on the wings. Based on all the drawings I've seen so far, I've come to the conclusion that they were never meant to be there, because that was the whole point of having 12 semi-conformal missiles in the first place. It was also never shown having a GU-11 gun pod attached in fighter mode, either. THIS ISN'T A FRAKING VF-0/1/(INSERT ALL OTHER MODELS HERE) VALKYRIE, it's a Godamned VF-4G Lightning III, and the whole point to me was it's uniqueness in NOT having a GU-11 attached in Fightermode, nor any hard points on the wings, because they weren't needed.

They finally decide to make this Valk, and several of you are wanting Yamato to turn it into every other Valk out there, WTF? And before any of you say "Kyp, you don't have to attach the missiles or gunpod if you don't want to...", I'm quite well aware of that, but I don't want those ugly 1/60 VF-1 hard point nubs on the wings, they're the reason I tend to keep the missiles on my 1/60 V2 Roy in the first place.

As to the 12 semi conformal missiles being detachable, that's neat and all, but if it's going to leave peg holes, which I see no other way to make this possible, then I won't be detaching them anyways, so it's a moot feature to me.

Gimmicks are all great and fine, but please, for frak's sake, can we not mess with things that to me make this Valk unique? Am I the only one here that feels this way?

-Kyp

i agree with all that he said.. no need for gunpod.. no need for attachment reaction missile.. just let it be clean.. :).. and for the missile.. made it from a magnet..

I agree with most everything Kyp Durron said--it's the VF-4, it carries its weapons on its body. Loading it up with external pylons and gunpods is like putting a bunch of stuff under an F-22's wings---you're missing the point of why it was designed the way it was. The F-22 is notable for INTERNAL missile carriage to remain stealthy. Just because it CAN carry stuff under the wings, doesn't mean it SHOULD nor would it do so very often.

VF-4's should be clean and sleek, with missiles embedded in its skin to remain sleek while fully armed.

I do want the missiles removable though, if for no other reason than it would result in a super-crisp color differentiation. Having "painted bulges" just wouldn't give the same effect, and there'd be fuzzy edges, missed spots, etc. Actually having a separately molded/painted part would make sure there's no issues there. The desert camo VF-4 looks quite good because of just how "distinct" the missiles are IMHO. The more obviously differentiated they are, the better a VF-4 looks IMHO.

Hmmn---really though, so long as the missiles are separate pieces, they could be permanently attached/glued in. Just so long as they are molded independently of the main body. Anything but "molded as a bulge on the body then painted to look like a separate part". They must be "physically separated" from the fuselage, even if they are permanently attached later.

Shorter version of above post: I don't really care how they do the missiles, so long as they are done very crisp and cleanly to show that they are NOT "just bulges on the airframe" but separate distinct parts.

This!!! Separate parts please.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I agree with most everything Kyp Durron said--it's the VF-4, it carries its weapons on its body. Loading it up with external pylons and gunpods is like putting a bunch of stuff under an F-22's wings---you're missing the point of why it was designed the way it was. The F-22 is notable for INTERNAL missile carriage to remain stealthy. Just because it CAN carry stuff under the wings, doesn't mean it SHOULD nor would it do so very often.

VF-4's should be clean and sleek, with missiles embedded in its skin to remain sleek while fully armed.

I do want the missiles removable though, if for no other reason than it would result in a super-crisp color differentiation. Having "painted bulges" just wouldn't give the same effect, and there'd be fuzzy edges, missed spots, etc. Actually having a separately molded/painted part would make sure there's no issues there. The desert camo VF-4 looks quite good because of just how "distinct" the missiles are IMHO. The more obviously differentiated they are, the better a VF-4 looks IMHO.

Hmmn---really though, so long as the missiles are separate pieces, they could be permanently attached/glued in. Just so long as they are molded independently of the main body. Anything but "molded as a bulge on the body then painted to look like a separate part". They must be "physically separated" from the fuselage, even if they are permanently attached later.

^I agree 100%, the missiles really need to be separately made, to prevent the above mentioned issues that having painted, molded missile bulges would no doubt create. Even with Yamato's level of paint app ability, it wouldn't be enough to make it look good enough, IMO.

-Kyp

yay, less choice! :rolleyes:

I just want to say how interesting it is that we went from being foaming at the mouth mad because yamato didn't release valks with every possible head variant, missile/bomb/bigger tail fins/swap out clown feet/cartoon bubble hands/side covers/pilot variants/other accessory in the box, for free... to now demanding that yamato not give us display options.

Edited by eugimon

A few spares (not just one) would be nice. Of course, this is Yamato---gives everyone spare YF-19 canards (did anyone on the entire planet actually need them?) but doesn't give spare screw or intake covers that always fall off...

well there's me (could be the only one), my YF-19 fell from the shelf and a canard snapped off at the base. That was the only piece that broke although it did end up on the floor as a disarticulated mess of plastic which also probably saved it from total annihilation, so thanks for the spare canards, Yamato :)

A few spares (not just one) would be nice. Of course, this is Yamato---gives everyone spare YF-19 canards (did anyone on the entire planet actually need them?) but doesn't give spare screw or intake covers that always fall off...

I needed the spare canards. I broke one before, when a YF-19 took a tumble off the shelf. So yeah, thanks for including them Yamato.

Graham

If they're going to do a VF-4, why would you want them to limit what comes with it to save a few bucks. They're going to have a set price in mind already, and it's going to be inflated, so why limit what would come with it? Might as well go all out, and get what it should come with, than have the bare minimum, and wish it came with more.

I think the more important thing is to prioritize what's truly needed, rather than just saying 'we want everything'. IMHO a great deal of attention needs to be paid to the conformal missiles, as their appearance is critical to the VF-4 and one of its most unique features. Having a VF-1's gunpod too may be nice, but not at the expense of the former.

I agree with separate missiles, otherwise I'm more concerned that they pour the love into this like they did with the VF-19 and VF-17. Engineering a robust swing mechanism for the leg, while allowing for strength and flexibility will pose a challenge for them, I think. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I also hope the shoulders rotate, as arm movement would be pretty limited otherwise. TF Animated Lugnut is a good example of this done right.

As for extras, they're nice, but after all this time, I hope the focus is on creating a solid toy with exceptional engineering, functionality, paint, and, hopefully, endurance.

They didn't mold the missile launcher doors on the VF-17 and VF-22 as separate parts so they look like doors

Yes, but micro-missile launcher doors are just doors and a completely different kettle of tuna to externally mounted semi-conformal missiles.

Graham

I noticed people saying HLJ will carry this. Thing is, HLJ has not gotten all of the Yamato shop exclusives. Namely the GBP with launch effects and the Zentran Suit for Max's VF-1A. (both of which I would have eagerly have bought from HLJ had they stocked these)

So, it's not necessarily true that the VF-4 will be stocked.

Hopefully though...

I noticed people saying HLJ will carry this. Thing is, HLJ has not gotten all of the Yamato shop exclusives. Namely the GBP with launch effects and the Zentran Suit for Max's VF-1A. (both of which I would have eagerly have bought from HLJ had they stocked these)

So, it's not necessarily true that the VF-4 will be stocked.

Hopefully though...

I don’t think HLJ will miss the opportunity of carrying this.

so its 1/60 scale....but is it the same size as the 1/60 vf-1 or same size as the 1/48 vf-1??

Well, I compared my Bandai 1/250 scale Macross Fighter Collection VF-1 and VF-4 the other night and the VF-4 is a bit longer than the VF-1, but it's not a huge plane like the VF-0 or YF-19.

I guess in 1/60 scale the VF-4 will end up being a couble of cm longer than the VF-1.

Will post a pic later.

Graham

I Figured you guys may like this. I love these pics.

If you check that left pic, it looks like the CG artist didn't have any material to go by as far as where the landing gear go as the main wheels appear to be coming out of the section between the main body and the engine nacelles.

http://macross2.net/m3/flashback2012/vf-4/vf-4-la4.jpg

http://macross2.net/m3/flashback2012/vf-4/vf-4-la5.jpg

They're just in the legs like any Valkyrie. I wonder if even Kawamori or Studio Nue still had these pieces of line art still around. The games wouldn't show much of the VF-4 with gear down as none of them depict it being launched with that amount of detail.

If you check that left pic, it looks like the CG artist didn't have any material to go by as far as where the landing gear go as the main wheels appear to be coming out of the section between the main body and the engine nacelles.

http://macross2.net/...-4/vf-4-la4.jpg

http://macross2.net/...-4/vf-4-la5.jpg

They're just in the legs like any Valkyrie. I wonder if even Kawamori or Studio Nue still had these pieces of line art still around. The games wouldn't show much of the VF-4 with gear down as none of them depict it being launched with that amount of detail.

What's more intresting is that the second picture shows hard points on the wings and belly of the VF-4 :)

Graham