Macross Dyrl For Ps2

GutsAndCasca

Actually, that is the complete and whole reason why it does.

Once you commit to making a game out of a popular franchise, especially one where almost the entire game rests on the franchise's mecha, you are entering a realm where accuracy to the subject matter becomes just as important as game play.

Gameplay is of paramount importance in ANY video game.

There's a good reason I enjoy Scrambled Valkyrie. And it's pretty clearly got nothing to do with faithfulness to the license. Same for 2036, lack of transformation control and all.

Secondly, when you look at the studio's response to why the wings aren't there in "battloid" mode, they simply said that they couldn't make it work. Yet every other studio who has ever made a 3D Macross game has been able to make it work. Hell, even M3 has wings in battroid mode.

And they made a sacrifice somewhere else in the design to get it there.

I'd have to flip through some games and spend more effort studying the models than I really care to if I wanted to peg exactly where the designs deviated.

I still don't see how it affects the actual fun-ness of the game.

I was more bothered by the lack of head laser action, and even that didn't affect my overall enjoyment.

Like I said, I don't even notice the lack of wings unless I'm actually looking for it. First time the argument came up, I dug out Battlecry, turned it on to check, and was surprised to see they WEREN'T there. I NEVER would have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out, because I'm usually too busy actually playing.

Laziness from a videogame studio shows, and that makes them suck. After playing RT: Battlecry and RT: Invasion, I became very unhappy with Vicious Cycle's work and decided that I don't like their games. So sue me.

Never played Invasion. I thought Battlecry was helluva fun, though.

If you look closely at DRYL PS2, the Fighter and Gerwalk modes look exactly like a Yamato 1/40 scale toy. BUT, once you transform it into battroid, the wings mysteriously shrink to half their normal size, as well as the hips (intakes.) Then it becomes workable. It's not that noticeable, unless you're looking to see how they made the wings "work", and then it kind of glares at you from then on. But at least they put the wings on.

I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure if getting this game would do me any good. I don't wanna' get stuck with a game I can't navigate through at all. I bought the BERSERK import, but that's easy to figure out... you just hack things into bits and most of the menus are in english. So can anybody tell me the scoop on this game? Much appreciated!

403007[/snapback]

http://www.opensenses.com/games/choujikyuu...-macross-review

^_^

403350[/snapback]

loook at ign's review.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/456/456372p1.html

btw. to answer the original poster.

You don;'t need to know japanese to play the game. Especially if you know the story already. Hell even if you only have watched robotech you will undrestand it.

They do use some english words here and there.

i have the game and i love it(got mari's sig on it). A dear friend got this after i told er about it. She used to play battlecry like crazy until she got this and retired bc. lol.

I didn't know you could jettison the GBP. ? I agree with the notion that it would have been nice to have the valk select between stages. Then they could have limited which stages you could use the GBP, yet still let you choose it at least a little bit. They did this with the strike and fast pack on DYRL. BuuuuuuuUT, DYRL doesn't have the GBP option either - but it's okay because there is a mission where you get to wear it already incorporated into the game. DYRL over all though falls short in the aspect that almost every single solitary mission is either in outter space, or far far away from the ground. I liked the ground based missions in robotech. The valks zip around the environments nicely.

I myself, look forward to a macross for PS3. That'll be the day I splurge to buy one of those. (Or if they make Berserk...)

414806[/snapback]

if your talking about the ps2 game then you need to look at your selections. YOu can go back and play a few of the missions with the GBP.

I thought you got those automaticly for going through both scenarios?  :huh:

416959[/snapback]

Nope! You gotta' get an S ranking in the Prometheus Milia fight, and the guarding the Mars base. Probably easy for others, but hell for yours truly.

WHOA! after seeing the screens with those reviews i gotta say WOW did that screw the Battroid looks badly!

i mean.. it looks almost as gimped as a few of the small super posable models i've seen about.

still ordering it though :)

hmm though the seller i ordered from hasn't responded to my first e-mail i hope they do to the purchase :p

the only reason i can see for that design choice though is to prevent clipping of the model, but the thing to realize in making ANY Anime style based mecha game is clipping is gonna happen! so just get over it and let it happen, if it wasn't going to happen... well, thats not likely.

question though, so when (and if at this point..) i get it, what are the controls? and can the bloody Gerwalk kick it in reverse? if theres ANYTHING i hate royaly about Battlecry its that above all (in second comes the shoddy controls for strafeing/aiming, and the lack of control customization between differant consoles)

judging by a couple of the vids i'm watching i'd say you actually have to go through gerwalk just to get to Battroid from fighter and vise versa?

hmm

if they ever make another one they need to adapt the controls from A.C.E 2's secondary control scheme (primary scheme you have to manualy select functions :/ )

otherwise its as simple as circle and squad for main stuff, X boosters, Hold L1 and press most anything else for some other effect

L1+R1 = Tform Up from Battroid to gerwalk/fighter

L1+R2 = Tform down from Fighter to Gerwalk/battroid

quick and easy like

:)

Edited by GrimlockCW

Controls are...

Common to all modes.

Square: Gunpod

Circle: Secondary Weapon such as missiles or head lasers. Head Lasers automatically target incoming missiles. Hold circle to lock multiple missiles and fire.

Start: Pause.

Select: Switch secondary weapon

L2: Transform up.

R2: Transform down.

L2+R2: Transform from Fighter to Battroid and visa versa.

Directional pad: Various camera views.

Fighter

X:Accelerate

Triangle: Decelerate (the air brake even pops open.

L1: Yaw left

R1: Yaw Right

Left Stick: Pitch and roll.

GERWALK

X:Forward

Triangle: Go backwards

Left stick: Pitch and lean.

Right stick: Roll and altitude.

L1: Turn left.

R2: Turn right.

Battroid:

X: Booster

L1: Strafe left.

R1: Strage right.

L2: Lock closer target. You will turn to face the target as long as this is held.

R3: Descend or crouch.

Left stick: Move forward/backward and turning.

Right stick: Allows for pitch and roll in mid-air.

wow, not to complicated not to easy

not bad...

though i still like the A.C.E 2 control scheme as it opens so many other possabilities for its uses :p

ahh well

i finally got my GBP1S 1J for it to (model clipping city on this one!), interesting way they put it in the game.. its slower and more powerful, but its like flying the Queadruun Rau around only its a Valk, and you can eject the armor at any time, but then your only weapons are speed, your head cannons, and the gunpod :/

never noticed it before (as the 1J is the only that does this) even in A.C.E 2 they shrank the wings in Battroid!!

everything else remains the same, so it doesn't get that horrid looking midget hips thing going i've seen in this DYRL one, but meh.

can't knock a good game for minor flaws... well ya can, but that doesn't ruin it, so its still a good game right?

It's a really good game! ;)

Unfortunatley it's over way too soon for how fun it is.

PS: In ACE you control valks that transform??? I thought it was just a fighter-plane game.

Edited by GutsAndCasca

It's a really good game! ;)

Unfortunatley it's over way too soon for how fun it is.

PS: In ACE you control valks that transform??? I thought it was just a fighter-plane game.

417580[/snapback]

A.C.E

not ACE Combat

Another Century's Episode

heh, A.C.E 2 took out a few and added a TON of differant units its like super robot wars (as in it mixes dif anime) but plays more like a reg anime/mecha sim with simple controls (lest ya use the 1st set, anyways, in that one u have to select every function from a menu, the second set is as i described above)

oh and its not Super Deformed like SRW.

Macross DYRL was added in this one, i was in Japan a month before its release and saw a Valk on the demo screen at a hobby shop in Iwakuni, but before that (and what really got my attention) was Fokkers "YOOHOO" style battlecry as he flew into combat :)

i was so joyous when i realized my stay would keep me there 3 weeks after its release, so if i had missed it on that fateful March 30th thursday, i'd still have a chance to get it, also got Gundam Climax U.C. in the same outting upon its release..

heh and my friend no sooner got his copy than unlocked everything in it, it has SEVENTY TWO flipping gundams to play as!! needless to say i stole his mem card and copied that save! and the intro movie to the game is a work of art in its own! ANYWHO i'm babbling agian.

Edit: WOOT! just got the e-mail from the seller, i should be getting my DYRL in the mail within a couple weeks WOOT!

also he posted another copy for anyone else looking for it, as well as a TON of other games to import, seems all are used or so, but meh.

better than nothing!

looks here for it, he also has a unused copy fer sale, but its an extra 30 bux! i'll stick to my used ones thankyouverymuch

A.C.E 2 here if ya wants it

heh, wow importing newer releases costs alot don't it...

i only payed roughly 4,000 yen when i baught mine on release day!

and wow.. he sells A.C.E 1 for bout the same, i baught that in the bargain bin for 1500 yen.. its a good one, but i wouldn't blow 66 bux on it, cause you MUST pay to fly a mission(or something like it), but if you run out of funds before you go back to the carrier (every fourth mission or so) the game comes to a screeching halt, and i've yet to find a way to continue :/

though i will say this, Talgeese is MURDEROUS in this one :p Talgeese 3 in A.C.E 2 can't compare, and feels weak after trying this one!

Edited by GrimlockCW

Yikes, A.C.E. 2 is expensiiiiiiiive. Looks like I'll be waiting a lil' while to play this badboy. But play it I WILL! 'Looks very nice.

417881[/snapback]

if i ever see him online agian i could see if my buddy in Japan could find it fer less fer ya, but i dunno...

ain't seen'em in awhile

Yikes, A.C.E. 2 is expensiiiiiiiive. Looks like I'll be waiting a lil' while to play this badboy. But play it I WILL! 'Looks very nice.

417881[/snapback]

Could just wait until it drops in price or is re-released on a best of label.

That said, the game isn't that great. I bought it at launch and kinda regret it. Lots of boring levels and the worst lock-on system I've ever seen.

417881[/snapback]

That said, the game isn't that great. I bought it at launch and kinda regret it. Lots of boring levels and the worst lock-on system I've ever seen.

418491[/snapback]

guess its a matter of opinion, the lock on system was pretty generic to any mecha game of its type that i've ever played out of japan, and it did justice for some of the tactics you can utilize with the reverse thrusting units, though the fighters could've used something differant.

yeah, some levels were dull and stupid (mostly the Nadesico ones) but quiet a few had some nice perks, and interesting bits of dialogue from the characters (i still can't believe they put the whole argument in....)

417881[/snapback]

418491[/snapback]

Hm.... Thanks for the info.! I guess this baby can wait. With the PS3 launching soon, it'll probably go down in value fast.

Hey Grim, have you gotten your DYRL yet??

guess its a matter of opinion, the lock on system was pretty generic to any mecha game of its type that i've ever played out of japan, and it did justice for some of the tactics you can utilize with the reverse thrusting units, though the fighters could've used something differant.

418514[/snapback]

The system itself was okay, but it had horrible priority. It'd often lock you onto non-aggressive static objects instead of the enemy units actually ATTACKING you.

The system itself was okay, but it had horrible priority. It'd often lock you onto non-aggressive static objects instead of the enemy units actually ATTACKING you.

418664[/snapback]

true, and primary targets were a pain to get locked onto, but nick the right analog and in unlocks, point at something and u usualy can get it to lockon to what you wish for, otherwise it goes to the nearest.

agian, its like the generic lockon system i've seen in most any japanese made mecha game i've played, even in the arcades over there.

who knows, if we get lucky we may see a A.C.E 3 that'll fix this!

bump, rather than make a new one.

just got mine in the mail today! (WOOT!)

nice game no doubt but... fighter seems a big sluggish to me? and is there an aim assist to it or am i going to be missile whoring most of the missions? cuse i swear the range on the gunpod is weak, and trying to aim the fighter agianst somthing thats either faster or slower (never seems even, nice touch :) ), but can turn 10x faster than me is a pain in my but

Edit: i get it, its to force u into the other to modes a few times per mission :)

so yeah, missile whore the fighter :p

Edited by GrimlockCW

bump, rather than make a new one.

just got mine in the mail today! (WOOT!)

nice game no doubt but... fighter seems a big sluggish to me? and is there an aim assist to it or am i going to be missile whoring most of the missions? cuse i swear the range on the gunpod is weak, and trying to aim the fighter agianst somthing thats either faster or slower (never seems even, nice touch :) ), but can turn 10x faster than me is a pain in my but

Edit: i get it, its to force u into the other to modes a few times per mission :)

so yeah, missile whore the fighter :p

419326[/snapback]

Yep, you've got to switch modes constantly if you really wanna' get that S rating and thrash everything as quickly as possible. But doesn't it look cool when you're doing it??? My kid's friends walked into our living room while I was playing DYRL on the 60 inch TV and they just stopped, mesmerized. I kept switching from fighter to gerwalk to battroid very quickly and vanquishing Zentraedi like rodents and if I do say so myself, it just looked awesome. :D

It just SUCKS that it's over so fast! If someone makes a seriously, I mean REALLY GOOD Macross game for PS3, that'll be the day I start saving to buy one. Or if they make Berserk. I'll buy any system that makes one of those. B))

VF-4?? oookay.... talk about junk :p

IMO anyways, just finished the whole game, and the missing vs mode at minimum is kinda lame with unlockables....

ANYWHO

i loves it :)

but yeah, to short, they followed the stories to closely, shoulda branched out a bit more, i'll give roblowtech that for its game, it left space to branch a bit.

the Strike packs shoulder cannon looked a wee bit gimpy though... and almost sat a bit high in battroid..

bah, interesting way to spruce up the final battle in the movie though :) lot better than the boring run'n'gun of A.C.E 2's version :p

but i def think A.C.E 2 had some better controls (though lacking in missile downing fire) and did a LOT better at rendering everyones favorite transforming jets :p

my only real gripe with the game... mine smells like cigar smoke.. and i mean BAD :blink:

*laughs at the cigar smoke comment*

So ACE 2 has better looking valks?

419807[/snapback]

yar, though i canna remember atm if it showed the little maneuvering thrusters like DYRL does, i'll hafta check...

course A.C.E 2 is a newer game, so its cleaned up and more polished than the older ones

A.C.E 2's homepage on the robots section the first item in the menu is valks :)

and some mini pics of Fokker in Fighter and Gerwalk with strike gear

20050817120629285.jpg

20050817120629296.jpg

Edit: it also doesn't make the GBP1S armor look scrawny on the 1J, it actually looks bulky like in the anime :p

Edited by GrimlockCW

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!!!

I cant wait to play this game!!! every time i check my mail box has been torture!!!

thanks for posting the ingame pics they look great!!!!

419841[/snapback]

LOL

sry to torture u like that :p

u shoulda been there when i had to wait not only 2 monthes after arriving in japan to get it, but the hassle i had to go through just to get a 2nd class Petty Officer to go with me out into town after a LOOONG day of work :p

(stoopid buddy system BS, i swear you can mark Military personel so easily in public in foreign countries its not funny, their the ones in grps of 2 or more, collared shirts, sensible haircuts, no piercings on males, and usualy talking more crap than your normal tourist or buisnessman, cleanly shaved (back of neck included for haircut regs) and its all in the regs to be so obvious about yourself... gah, i'm glad to be gone from that

P.S. i was looking for a battroid pic, but no luck lest ya go to the games homepage... :p

ANYWHO back on topic, what other unlocks are in DYRL and what i gotta do?

Edited by GrimlockCW

Freaking A man! Those are some wicked looking pictures... but what does Battroid mode look like???

Okay, I forgot to add: go to www.gamefaqs.com and look up Macross DYRL. They have all the unlockables. I have some stuff unlocked, but others I shall never see, because I SUCK! Muahhahahah! :D

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Freaking A man! Those are some wicked looking pictures... but what does Battroid mode look like???

Okay, I forgot to add: go to www.gamefaqs.com and look up Macross DYRL. They have all the unlockables. I have some stuff unlocked, but others I shall never see, because I SUCK! Muahhahahah! :D

420047[/snapback]

i checked gamefaqs, they only had one for a PS1 game.

follow the link up there to the robots section, the first 2 menus of Macross, the first one is just the 1J, the second is the DYRL valks, and its got a couple nice shots of battroid modes, wings spread no less!

the 1J looks a little gimp in its battroid as it does close them, but its less noticable than in DYRL

Edit: since yer lazy

i was looking for the promo movie that hooked me but instead i found these

futa.jpg

ace23.jpg

from here

theres more of other craft

here we go

Opening movie

doesn't have the right music, prob the pre-release version :p but its all there

awsome vids there at Youtube :)

in the intro they show Hikaru shoot down some missile, yet in game ya can't :/

course the intro is CGI'ed up.

that promo vid shows mostly macross scenes :) so enjoy that one, and its kinda on topic as its DYRL!

Edited by GrimlockCW

Okay, well, for starters, if you want to unlock Max's TV 1a, beat Milia with an S ranking. And if you want Hikaru's 1J TV version, you gotta' beat the mars level with an S! I only know these because I actually managed to unlock them.

im on level 12 (T.V. missions) now and all i have to say is this game is a dream come true!!! blasting away at Zentran ships with nukes is AWESOME!!!!!

Edited by Razor x