Macross Ace Frontier (PSP)

Renato

Well well finnally a place where I can relate to other people about my bad bad cronic addiction to Macross Ace Frontier.. I don't feel so much like a freak now.

I guess I should input a little into what's been said I guess where I can off the top of my head...

1. Umm Sad Sniper EX yeah only got an A for it and major Kudos to who can get a SS, but I did get a SS for Miss Macross EX (Japanese mission name) "My Boyfriend Is a Pilot EX" using a Half Tuned Qau with Klan.

2. Yes container missions I can only got B's on.... O_o not sure why.... even if I hop in my VF-27 and kill everything in 2 seconds and sustain no damage and get the containers, still a B.

3. I'm surprised others are getting bored of the game... I'm far from bored of the game yet, probably because I've been multi-playing with others and it keeps it interesting and seeing what other people are coming up with tuning and flying style wise and helping them co-op through the story lines. But I can see how one would get bored of the game if they have no one to play multi with every now and again.

Well well finnally a place where I can relate to other people about my bad bad cronic addiction to Macross Ace Frontier.. I don't feel so much like a freak now.

I guess I should input a little into what's been said I guess where I can off the top of my head...

1. Umm Sad Sniper EX yeah only got an A for it and major Kudos to who can get a SS, but I did get a SS for Miss Macross EX (Japanese mission name) "My Boyfriend Is a Pilot EX" using a Half Tuned Qau with Klan.

2. Yes container missions I can only got B's on.... O_o not sure why.... even if I hop in my VF-27 and kill everything in 2 seconds and sustain no damage and get the containers, still a B.

3. I'm surprised others are getting bored of the game... I'm far from bored of the game yet, probably because I've been multi-playing with others and it keeps it interesting and seeing what other people are coming up with tuning and flying style wise and helping them co-op through the story lines. But I can see how one would get bored of the game if they have no one to play multi with every now and again.

The secret to missions you can't get an S on is either 1: Kill the boss ASAP as quickly as they launch. Or 2: Kill all the small fry first, and leave the bigger targets for times when there is absolutely nothing else to shoot at. If there are Large & Small Vajra, kill the small ones first, etc. Box missions are rarely about getting the boxes in as quickly as poisssible, and usually more about killing whatever wave is attacking, then moving 1 box, killing the next wave, moving one box, etc. The Macross 7 one for instance is a balance between "not" shooting down Gigil, and not letting Gamlin shoot down Gigil, while you take out his small fry.

As for getting bored, I wouldn't say I've necessarily gotten board, but once maxing out hearts on each and every single character, including the operators, and max tuning every single fighter/zentradi/protodevelin in the game, I'm just a little too worn out to max out all of the pilot stats just now. :)

Cheers thanks for the tips!

Yeah I got SS for the box mission in Macross Original now! Haven't tried the Macross 7 out again yet.

I can see how it would get boring trying to max out all the stuff only would get boring, as I said before playing multi with people just opens up the game and extends it 'play life' 10 fold.

Wish PSPs could go online for game play.

Cheers thanks for the tips!

Yeah I got SS for the box mission in Macross Original now! Haven't tried the Macross 7 out again yet.

I can see how it would get boring trying to max out all the stuff only would get boring, as I said before playing multi with people just opens up the game and extends it 'play life' 10 fold.

Wish PSPs could go online for game play.

You know, I recently signed up for a japanese PSN account, I wonder if I can find that thing that tursn it into a network hub for PSP's to play games like this over the internet.

Also, I've recently gone back to maxing out my mobile suit stats in Gundam Battle Universe. Damn there are a lot of mobile suits in that game. I want to actually finish this time, since I never finished maxing out the first 3, that way it'll be easier to carry over in the next version, whenever that comes out.

Back to Ace Frontier, almost forgot, leveling up your original character, & gaining all of the skills will also be of great help. The ability "max world," makes taking out those tough to snuff out in a second bosses a piece of cake.

Edited by Keith

• 2 weeks later...

okay I have now wasted 20 hours on Sad Sniper EX and cannot get above an A. I think I should offically shelf that mission and dubbed it as impossible, it's starting to get on my nerves.

I get through the first 2 waves untouched both alto and me. 3rd Wave either one of the two high spec Large enemies super weapons alto instantly or myself instantly, and either die or die by the time the VF 27 turns up. So regardless of what I do it's 100% impossible.

and it's the ONLY mission I don't have an S for so I can never unlock the whoel game :(

*sigh* what a waste...

Edited by BlAdE

Be patient, it took me 3 months to get the A, then i really kicked it into gear and gave it my all for the S. Honestly I think is does come down to a lot of luck though but it can be down and I am no where near the great gamer I used to be.

yeah, I guess, but seriously, can't be done in my eyes. Have tried every walkthrough help guide and tips out there avail on the web and almsot every combo of them combined as well, still no go.. hell I even put my armor to full and still got one shotted in the 3rd wave.. not cool really..

Yeah definately luck hahaha

Well at least I'm still havin fun with everythin else.

Hey has anyone noticed with the latest firmware update 5.50 that the analog joystick acts a little funny, like sometimes I can't transform to fighter mode? Could just be my analog stick but when I go back to home menu and to say the web browser, the stick moves around my pointer just fine.... wierd...

Is there a way we can share replays with each other?

My fun at the moment is trying to get the most awesome ace battle (freeplay) and pulling off some nice moves. Like our own Macross episode!

Is there ANY indication for Macross Ace Frontier 2???

Pain in the arse to keep from getting down'd in a 3 minute fight out, i just go all out, take about 6 or 7 with me before i have to take a breather.

If i feel that i'm going down, i switch to gerwalk or battroid quickly and fly low, as it looks like there's a way i can salvage the fighter and get up in the air once more (re- Shin). :lol:

Fighter mode... no. lol

I do like how if you get sot up on a Zentran fighter, it places you straight back on there, instead of rez back ground/ocean level for example.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

And now after pain staking hours of playing (70+) I have 100% mech and items and an S overall ranking and at least and S on every level. I am working on SS for everyone. By the way the best skill to have in the game is the Steak with the overloading PPB, it is awesome.

Ok, I just got this game. I have a couple of questions:

1. I see there is a Grade of A thru D but I see I got some S. What is that all about?

2. How in the hell do you get the armors?

3. Is there guide that is translated for this? I figured out by doing process of elimination but it is damn annoying.

4. Any tips on beat hikaru better than a C grade?

Thanks.

1. Grades vary based on the mission. Some are time-based, others are point or protection-target based, and the other kind is damage you have taken. S means that you have nearly perfected that mission, and SS means perfect. Getting an S rank on specific missions will give you an EX mission in which you play one of the characters, such as Pineapple Salad EX ("Skull Leader Forever"), where you play first as Roy, then Max against Milia.

2. Armors? I assume you mean the VF-1A FAST Pack and VF-1S Strike Valkyries. VF-1A Super Valkyrie, beat "Present for You/Longest Birthday" EX with S+ rank, won't be too hard if you use pilot ability(Square+X). VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Hikaru, beat "Macross Attack". VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Roy, beat "Do You Remember Love". The Reactive Armor Valkyrie requires you to beat "Kung Fu Fighter" and (maybe, I can't remember)DYRL with C or higher.

3. http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/file/948812/54833

4. Use A VF-1A, melee the Defenders and Phalanx at the beginning, gun down/laser the Phalanx/Spartan duo. Let your SP bars fill before Hikaru appears(let it fill twice), then pull off the -1A's super melee combo by pressing Triangle and Circle(Special Attack, it's mech-specific) against Hikaru. Use it again, then gun or regular-melee the other Valkyrie. Tune your health and melee power as much as possible, and run away from Hikaru if your attack fails, because his combo is more powerful than yours at this point.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

SS's are the hardest to get when you're still unlocking things, but when you get to the stage where you can take off the limiter on mechs, it's a big help to get those SS's, so don't worry if you're not getting any SS's.

Does anyone know of an easy way to play PSP's online with ad-hoc network mode games like MAF? Would be good if we could get something going to play a few missions together.

SS's are the hardest to get when you're still unlocking things, but when you get to the stage where you can take off the limiter on mechs, it's a big help to get those SS's, so don't worry if you're not getting any SS's.

Does anyone know of an easy way to play PSP's online with ad-hoc network mode games like MAF? Would be good if we could get something going to play a few missions together.

BlAdE mate, so you DO have MAF PSP, so that means you and I shall go head to head at Mac Aus Con 10'!

You'll love the prizes mate. There wasn't the MAF tourney this year coz i was the only one with a PSP and MAF, so now you have to train extra hard. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If you get the proper materials, I believe X-Link Kai has a channel specifically designated for MAF.

I was under the impression that if you paired your PSP with your PS3 you could connect to someone on your friends list to play PSP games. Is this not the case? I've never tried personally because the only person I've played with I played with in person lol.

I think I might have already posted these in the OG thread but here's some in game shots.

th_snap000.jpg

th_snap001.jpg

th_snap002.jpg

th_snap003.jpg

th_snap004.jpg

th_snap005.jpg

th_snap006.jpg

I was under the impression that if you paired your PSP with your PS3 you could connect to someone on your friends list to play PSP games. Is this not the case? I've never tried personally because the only person I've played with I played with in person lol.

I think I might have already posted these in the OG thread but here's some in game shots.

th_snap000.jpg

th_snap001.jpg

th_snap002.jpg

th_snap003.jpg

th_snap004.jpg

th_snap005.jpg

th_snap006.jpg

I think that only works with a Japanese PSN update, but I've no idea where in the Japanese playstation store it is.

As Keith said, it can only be done on a Japanese PS3 with "Ad Hoc Party", a new Japan-only PS3/PSP program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhoc_Party_f...tation_Portable

As stated in the Wiki article, there are no plans for a US release. Which is a real shame, given that it supports Guilty Gear, NFS, Burnout, the PSP Monster Hunters, GTA:LCS and VCS, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, every damned Gundam game that has ever come out, Armored Core: Formula Front, and Ace Frontier.

Yes, I'm...a...deck swabber now........damnit.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

BlAdE mate, so you DO have MAF PSP, so that means you and I shall go head to head at Mac Aus Con 10'!

You'll love the prizes mate. There wasn't the MAF tourney this year coz i was the only one with a PSP and MAF, so now you have to train extra hard. :p

Mmm looks like I'll just have to make sure I practice hard and that my PSP still works by then or get a newer one (still has an original release date one).

So Ivan, X-link Kai ay? I might google it out for a bit, thanks for the info!

Who would be up for joining me with a bit of online battle if it does actually work?

OK!!!!

I Got X-Link Kai working, was really simple..

Created a user account on thier website

Downloaded and install X-Link Kai (It's like 3mb)

Configured it to login with my account

Setup port triggering and forwarding for port 30000 on my router

Ran X-Link on my PC

Turned on My PSP and loaded MAF Multi

X-Link picked up my PSP on the wireless and I was away!

Pity I only ran into ONE person for MAF >_< need moooooore lol

My name on X-link Kai is blade888

Edited by BlAdE

Heh, haven't played MAF for ages. Completed the Macross Plus, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier stages, getting S on most and SS on some. Still a few without S though.

I just never got started on the SDF Macross stages. For some reason, I just have no mood to fly the VF-1.

Graham

Ah Graham come on, I play all eras, they are all fun and the Macross one is the very cool with its recreation of the show. I current have an SS on almost everything with S on a few. I still love playing Sad Sniper, especially now that I know how to beat the hell out of it and yet it is still the most challenging level with Farewell Skull Leader a close second because Millia is hard as all hell at the start of the level.

Honestly I have the most fun playing as the Destroids in SDF Macross levels. Not that they're optimal for every level but the novelty value is high. Also the expansion Macross Ultimate Frontier has been announced for later this year. Get ready to waste more of your life away :lol:

I think that only works with a Japanese PSN update, but I've no idea where in the Japanese playstation store it is.

Regarding the PSP Adhoc Party:

Being in Japan is NOT necessary for using this program. All you need is a Japanese PSN account, which you can easily make by registering a new user in your PS3 and making an account setting the country as Japan. You can find a nice tutorial with pictures included in Google with minimum effort.

Regarding downloading Adhoc Party, this is easy as pie, and since most likely some of you will get stuck with the program, I could gladly translate a guide I made some time ago. I, for one, have wanted to play MAF with other people, since the Japanese players seem too stuck into the Monster Hunter games that I honestly couldn't care less about.

If you have a PS3 with a Japanese PSN account and you want to play this game online, my question is: Do you want simple a guide to get online with it? If you do, I'll more than gladly post the guide for you and make a few corrections to it.

Regarding the PSP Adhoc Party:

Being in Japan is NOT necessary for using this program. All you need is a Japanese PSN account, which you can easily make by registering a new user in your PS3 and making an account setting the country as Japan. You can find a nice tutorial with pictures included in Google with minimum effort.

Regarding downloading Adhoc Party, this is easy as pie, and since most likely some of you will get stuck with the program, I could gladly translate a guide I made some time ago. I, for one, have wanted to play MAF with other people, since the Japanese players seem too stuck into the Monster Hunter games that I honestly couldn't care less about.

If you have a PS3 with a Japanese PSN account and you want to play this game online, my question is: Do you want simple a guide to get online with it? If you do, I'll more than gladly post the guide for you and make a few corrections to it.

At the very lead, I'd like a guide through the Japanese playstation store to find where it is :)

At the very lead, I'd like a guide through the Japanese playstation store to find where it is :)

Easy as pie. As soon as you enter the PS Store, check the options displayed. From the bottom, pick the second in an ascending order. If you can read Japanese, it says "Motto PS3 wo tanoshimou!" in Japanese (heh, sorry, can't type in Japanese, I have no idea how to enable it in Windows XP). As soon as you press your confirmation button, it'll take you to another menu. Choose the one that has an ugly green icon and you'll be taken to the Adhoc Party section. Grab both things that appear. One is the actual program and the other is a video to promote it that even includes instructions on how it works.

The video is ok, it won't help you with most of the menus, but it's a start. I'll translate the guide for the program this weekend. I'm in final exams at the moment.

Mess with the program as you see fit! One thing I have to recommend is this: Non Japanese players that have done what you are going to do (grab the thing from outside Japan) gather in World J, at Lobby 50, 51 or 49. Mostly in 50. However, a few have taken residence in Lobby 20, but they're not many.

I have found nice Japanese people that don't mind us, but I have also found some that are really rude and annoying.

As I said, the translation will be here this weekend.

Happy testing!

Sweet, thanks. Once I upgrade my heard drive, I'm also going to snag the import version of MGS 4, from what I hear, the Japanese players don't rely on glitches & lag switches to win, and have a much bigger community. I wonder how U.S. players are recieved there.

Played with it a bit today, and stumbled my way into lobbies. After getting called "Gaijin-san" a few times, finally found someone playing Gundam Vs Gundam for success!

Only problem I had was some pretty heavy lag, is there a setting somewhere to adjust that?

Played with it a bit today, and stumbled my way into lobbies. After getting called "Gaijin-san" a few times, finally found someone playing Gundam Vs Gundam for success!

Only problem I had was some pretty heavy lag, is there a setting somewhere to adjust that?

Dunno to be honest... I've been lagging like crazy, but that's because of my ISP.

Well... At least you found someone playing. I rarely if ever find ANYONE playing something I want, unless it's Phantasy Star Portable... And only those with the US version.

I've got Gundam VS Gundam too. Pretty fun game, that one.

Here is the guide I promised. I was going to do it next Sunday, but since I'm in a good mood, here it is. Hope you can make use of it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSP Adhoc Party Guide Ver. 1.0-Stinking-Rat (Betcha never seen a version name like that... =P)

----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- -----------------

At the moment of launching the program, lots of text in Japanese will appear. Then, we

will be greeted by a green screen with four options.

From top to bottom:

[start]

[Jump]

[Game Search]

[a manual for the program]

Before you actually begin messing with this: In this software, being intended for

Japanese PS3s, you accept with Circle and cancel with X.

Here's the first option: [start]

Upon selecting it, you will see a circle made out of cards, and at the center you can read

World A.

There are worlds from A up to J and you can cycle through of them using R1 and L1.

With the left stick pointed into any direction, we can choose between the cards that have

a humanoid icon with one of the following colors indicating how crowded they are. The

colors are as follows:

[Gray] -No people

[blue]- Few people

[Yellow]-Some people

[Red]-Lots of people

The card we select will have the following information:

-The human figure I talked about.

-A house with a number that indicate the number of rooms for four players.

-A building with a number indicating how many rooms for eight players.

-The number of friends you have on that lobby.

Ok, now that you're in the lobby, what can you do in it?

Move the left stick and place the cursor anywhere on the area you can move it on. Press

circle and you will see two options:

-Move to the marked place.

-Create a room.

Once you select to create a room, you will see the following menu:

-Room name: Your PSN ID is in it by default

-Comment: Write whatever you want

-Password: Typical. You give your friends the password, and only they can get in

-Voice chat: Enabling or disabling voice chat is up to you

-Game Search: This is an important option. If someone connects and wants to play the

same game you are playing, they can go straight to your room. More details on this later.

-Four or Eight players: This is in case you want to play one game that supports more

than four players at the moment.

Once you create the room successfuly, you can enter text to the right, just press the

space bar on your keyboard or the Start button on your controller. Almost like a normal

chatroom. You can press L1 or R1 to change the size of the text displayed inside the box.

Inside, there are a few options that I won't detail at the moment. However, the ones from

the Triangle button are very important.

Leave the room: Self explanatory. If you are hosting, this means everyone goes out once

you end that session.

Comment: In case you didn't put a comment before or you want to change it.

Open or close room: This is important. Once you make the room, you can sort of open or

close the door to your room. Useful if you don't have a full room but the people playing

are enough or whatever reason comes to your mind.

List: The list of the people in the room.

Pressing the Select button at the lobby displays even more options, but these are for

adjustments.

System sounds: There are three sound schemes for Adhoc Party. Choose the one you like

or the one that bothers you the least (like my case).

WiFi channel adjustments: Usually in Auto. Maybe you don't need to mess with this.

Voice Chat: You can activate or deactivate this here too.

Image: Pretty simple. It basically displays an image in your hard drive of your choice.

Way better than that ugly green backdrop.

At the lobby, when you press triangle you can see four more options:

Friend List: Friends connected to Adhoc Party, I guess... (I'm the only user of AP... can't

help you much here)

Bookmarks: Setting the lobby you are in a list. This way, next time you connect you are

able to go straight there.

Chat log: You can see what people on that lobby have said.

Exit the Lobby: You can go to the World selection screen or straight back to the Title

Screen.

Back on the Title Screen there are another three options:

[Jump]: You can go straight to the lobby of your choice. If there are people in your list,

you can go straight there.

[Game Search]: This is very helpful. If you want to play a game, but know that it's a pain

going through each world and lobby looking for players, you can just put your PSP in

Adhoc mode (obviously the game too), and the PS3 will recognize it, display the name of

your PSP on screen and be ready to help you look for a fellow player.

The first world will be displayed. You only press Circle, and the program will look for

players in that world. If it finds a room, it'll signal you and send you there where you

will have to look for a house or building with a human figure waving at you. Just go

straight there and join. If you couldn't find anyone, just press either L1 or R1 and

change worlds and search again.

[instructions]: These are instructions for the Adhoc Party. Basically, this is the manual.

Very well explained, but eh... It's in Japanese, and it is a pain for non Japanese speakers.

This is why this guide is here too, heh. I hope it's enough to help you. =P

Note: This program has super small fonts. It is meant to be used with HDTVs, so in a

SDTV, reading stuff is a real pain in the ass. Be careful.

That's all for now! If you find something that needs correcting, please tell me and I hope

this is useful to all of you.