Robotech.com site hacked

I know years ago, I bought the Macross:SDF collection from that site, so i wanted people to be aware of this as others may have too. Some may have still boughten other thigns more recently

Steve Yun (steve@robotech.com)

7:07 PM
clear.gif
To: Steve Yun
bluemanmxl.png
Hi everyone Unfortunately it looks like Robotech.com was hit by a security breach a few days ago. The attackers were able to access user accounts, email addresses and Robotech.com user account passwords. The attack may have also gotten access to billing and shipping addresses, but credit card numbers and other critical data were not affected as they are not stored on our servers. If you were using the same password on Robotech.com as you were on other online services, we strongly recommend that you change them immediately. We apologize for the inconvenience and will have our website back up after some major updates. In the meantime the Facebook page will keep you updated with all the latest Robotech news:https://www.facebook.com/robotech Steve YunRobotech.com

Is it bad I was kind of expecting this to happen after the Sony movie deal announcement?

Nah. Teaches people to keep up with security bulletins. They probably haven updated the backend in a while or left a vunerability unpatched. Security through obscurity is not security.

Nah. Teaches people to keep up with security bulletins. They probably haven updated the backend in a while or left a vunerability unpatched. Security through obscurity is not security.

The hackers probably figured they updates their backend as often as they updated the Robotech franchise! LOL

(couldn't resist)

I wholeheartedly agree and that's why I never bought anything from the site. Its just that ever since that announcement there's been so much butt hurt on most of the anime forums I visit. This site has been relatively tame in that regard which I chalk up to the mods doing a good job for the most part. I like the generally civil atmosphere here and not everyone be at each others throats.

The obvious answer is maybe they should update the backend of the site to something more modern and mobile-friendly. Obviously there's much better forum software out there than whatever they were using. Sounds like they were using one of many hosting providers out there and it got hit which brings up the question what else was being served up on that box besides RT.com cuz those sites probably got hit as well.

Of which I say, "Meh. It happens."

Unfortunately,, apparently in the email sent out to the members about the hack, Steve Yun CC'd everyone, and didn't hide any of the addresses. So now every current member has every other current member's email.

Way to go...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro as hell.

I... wish I remembered what e-mail I used for that. I'm sure the box is abandoned, but... if it's still live, I'd like to see this mess.

Unfortunately,, apparently in the email sent out to the members about the hack, Steve Yun CC'd everyone, and didn't hide any of the addresses. So now every current member has every other current member's email.

Way to go...

Ugh... I can't even laugh at that one because I've done that before. And as much as I'd like to make fun of how outdated the site looks and how it reflects the franchise... hopefully none of the members and employees were compromised. That part isn't funny. It would kill me if that happened to the people here.

Way to go...

You mean that all 10 members who have not been permabanned can see each others email addresses. LOL. Serves them right for maintaining such an antique website......

Ugh... I can't even laugh at that one because I've done that before. And as much as I'd like to make fun of how outdated the site looks and how it reflects the franchise... hopefully none of the members and employees were compromised. That part isn't funny. It would kill me if that happened to the people here.

Like I said, site compromises happens to every site at some point in their lifetime.

As for the e-mail thing, I'll just wait for someone to hit "Reply All" then I'll bang my head on the desk.

Like I said, site compromises happens to every site at some point in their lifetime.

As for the e-mail thing, I'll just wait for someone to hit "Reply All" then I'll bang my head on the desk.

Would be funny if someone send their credit card or password details.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you mean Dead End? I can even hear that line in his voice.

Yeah it was Dead End, but I figured no one would even know what I was talking about, let alone notice the inaccuracy lol...