The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Im not sure what the Kawamori version is but its here...

you know we've already got a transformers thread, right?

http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=36540

Nope sure didn't. Either way I took it upon myself to start a new topic. Starscream is the man.

Is that the de-Kawamori'ed version?

Ahhhh I see now. I had no idea Kawamori had his hands in Transformers. good for him. And compared to the first release its def a good bit different

Im not sure what the Kawamori version is but its here...

Years ago, when Masterpiece Starscream was unveiled, it looked a LOT like the brand-spanking new one that just came out. Then Takara hired Kawamori to "improve" the mold. Namely he streamlined plane mode, which added/moved a lot of the bot-mode kibble. Thus resulting in the first actual release of MP-03.

Now, we get a more G1-accurate version---which is basically the original mold before Kawamori "tweaked" it.

See, a lot of the hate for the "original" Masterpiece Starscream's hip kibble etc is because WE SAW HOW IT LOOKED BEFORE AND WE WANTED THAT VERSION. Takara changed it in a way that most people didn't like--while a decent number of people accepted it or even preferred it after Kawamori's changes, a whole lot more liked it better how it was before.

I think both versions kind of suck. I've honestly never liked G1 starscream's design to begin with, but the Masterpeice seeker mold does it absolutely no favors. I'm glad were getting back to new (hopefully well engineered) molds with MP-12.

Considering what Bandai and Yamato are doing now with transforming toys and even what HasTak has been doing in recent years, the new "Masterpiece" SS is a HUGE letdown.

I mean, the engineering on SS is years old and it shows. Neither “masterpiece” paintjob nor engineering but they sure ask Masterpiece price for it. Hasbro and Takara make cheaper TF that are a lot more complex than this old horse.

Had Bandai done a similar cosmetic cheap trick for their renewal VF-25, they would have been crucified. Instead they gave us a product light years away from their first try.

That's what I'm having such a hard time with on this release. I see a slightly modified old toy that has the same swirly goop plastic and lack of finish as a Hasbro deluxe (less compared to some) with a price even greater than the original and it gets almost universal praise on the Transformers message boards. It makes me worry about MP Sideswipe because I do not want them half-assing him. $50 Binaltech toys from almost a decade ago have a richer finish than MP11.

That's what I'm having such a hard time with on this release. I see a slightly modified old toy that has the same swirly goop plastic and lack of finish as a Hasbro deluxe (less compared to some) with a price even greater than the original and it gets almost universal praise on the Transformers message boards. It makes me worry about MP Sideswipe because I do not want them half-assing him. $50 Binaltech toys from almost a decade ago have a richer finish than MP11.

And this is why I won't pay Takra's prices. The only way they'll get my money is for a $60 NA release.

I'd LOVE a NA release of MP-10, trailer an all if they wanted, but preferably without the trailer. If it retailed at the expected $60 - $70, I'd buy it in a heart beat. There is something about being able to buy a collector's item domestically that really appeases me...

I would re-buy MP10 if he was released in the US - mostly so I could have one to play a little more carelessly with. Not that I feel the Takara release is fragile, but I tend to be a little over-careful when I handle it because I spent so damn much on it.

I'd probably check out MP11 if it got a US release as well. I'd also chuckle merrily if the US version had a better deco. ;)

Edited by eriku

I had the impression this thread was pinned. The "link" above to the "real" thread, takes you to this thread too. I am confused.Got WHeeljack, Optimus, and Ratchet from the Prime series. Fun toys, but i am not planing in getting the whole line. They look like some sort of robot ninja warriors. I like them.

I had the impression this thread was pinned. The "link" above to the "real" thread, takes you to this thread too. I am confused.Got WHeeljack, Optimus, and Ratchet from the Prime series. Fun toys, but i am not planing in getting the whole line. They look like some sort of robot ninja warriors. I like them.

The old TF thread was pinned, it got locked and moved to the super topic subforum because it was getting too long. and the link to this thread was from seperate thread that got merged in.

Awaiting delivery of my First Edition TF:Prime Optimus, figured I'd put off his purchase long enough and he isn't likely to get any cheaper. Heavily debating MP-10 right now, if only because I'm such a huge Optimus fan. Part of me wants to see if they'll do a release without a trailer, but I've paid out the ass for waiting too long in the past (Buster Prime).

Also picked up a delux Wheeljack at TRU this past week. Overall I really dig him, the windows on his fore arms might be a bit of an eyesore, but overall I was impressed. That being said, the selection of Prime figures locally (SoCal) has been god awful. My local Target has about 20-25 Bumblebees and a dozen voayger Primes and the TRU I got Wheeljack from had 1 of him and 2 Bees and that was it. The hunt for these figures has been a nightmare. Now that I've finally watched the show I'd like to pick up more of them, but they seem nearly impossible to find.

I'm really digging the new Starscream mold as well, but he is probably a pass. I'll snap up the eventual Thundercracker repaint though, I just love the colors on him.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

I still can't figure out Takara's coloring scheme reasoning for MP-11. (and future seekers). It's like they combined the worst aspects of animated and toy.

Light blue fists and feet? Animation.

Black squares representing hinges? An insanely pointless and ugly homage to the toy.

I mean, couldn't they NOT paint on big fake black hinges* on the fuselage? I'm surprised they didn't paint the tires silver and a few fake screws on the arms, "just like the G1 toy". Some things should NOT be emulated, especially when they only exist due to limits of technology. (hey, they could add some black rubber tubing to a MP Shockwave or something, or maybe a big fake AA battery compartment and bulbs to MP Galvatron, when modern tech would allow tiny batteries and LED's)

*weren't the big black hinges on the wings a common complaint of the "US scheme" MP-03? So they fixed that by making them match the grey wings now, but then added other ones on?

So far I haven't had too much trouble finding prime toys around here, I've seen every figure released on multiple ocasions. I'm hoping my luck holds out with the wave 3 deluxes, I really looking forward to knockout and vehicon. (I'm pretty sure I'll be getting multiple vehicons.)

I still can't figure out Takara's coloring scheme reasoning for MP-11. (and future seekers). It's like they combined the worst aspects of animated and toy.

It's because they want it to look as much like a cheap chinatown bootleg as possible.

(hey, they could add some black rubber tubing to a MP Shockwave or something, or maybe a big fake AA battery compartment and bulbs to MP Galvatron, when modern tech would allow tiny batteries and LED's)

The crap storm that would erupt over an MP Shockwave NOT having black rubber hoses would be enormous.

Personally, didn't really notice these things on MP-11. Overall, I just find him a nice representation of G1 Starscream, and that's good enough for me. I mean, for a robot that transforms into a red, white and blue fighter jet, black hinges really don't call that much attention to themselves.

That said, I agree with what David said. Takara does make some strange choices, sometimes.

That report on Hasbro reminds me of Disney--they wanted to fire Johnny Depp from POTC very early on, thinking that audiences wouldn't "get" his portrayal of Capt Sparrow, and that the movie would flop because of him.

It's amazing just how badly many corporate execs "just don't get it" when it comes to what people like/want.

That report on Hasbro reminds me of Disney--they wanted to fire Johnny Depp from POTC very early on, thinking that audiences wouldn't "get" his portrayal of Capt Sparrow, and that the movie would flop because of him.

It's amazing just how badly many corporate execs "just don't get it" when it comes to what people like/want.

It still shouldn't be a surprise. These are probably the same Hasbro execs who decided to cancel the First Edition TF Prime toys after an extremely limited number, and to replace them with new and usually inferior molds.

It still shouldn't be a surprise. These are probably the same Hasbro execs who decided to cancel the First Edition TF Prime toys after an extremely limited number, and to replace them with new and usually inferior molds.

I could get into this subject again, but I really don't want to.

I think the execs base their decisions on demographics and the reports of their marketing department(?).

I seriously doubt they're the "on the ground" type who spend hours lurking TF forums researching the opinions of fans.

And since their golden goose Bay has expressed a reluctance to feature Dinobots on screen, they'll naturally want to stop having anything to do with them. To them, movie toys are what bring it the big bucks (and they probably do), so what doesn't belong in the movies gets put aside.

I wouldn't be surprised if they see TF Prime as simply a "gap filler" until TF4 gets released.

And since their golden goose Bay has expressed a reluctance to feature Dinobots on screen, they'll naturally want to stop having anything to do with them. To them, movie toys are what bring it the big bucks (and they probably do), so what doesn't belong in the movies gets put aside.

You know, that never made any sense. Putting Dinobots in the movies would have given Bay a free pass to have robots burping & farting fire, bungilng into things , etc. You'd think he would have jumped at the chance.

Pulled the trigger on MP-10, looking forward to adding him to my Prime collection. He's only my 2nd MP so it'll be interesting to see the changes the line has undergone since the original MP-01.

I'm glad to see the dinobots making a come back in the new game even though I've always been sorta indifferent to them. But I know they are insanely popular and Hasbro needs to see it so people who want them as toys may get that chance. I feel like most characters need some love in toy form, especially if we haven't had anything in a while. Galvatron, the Dinobots and Springer (please give us a real Springer) all need some love.

Despite the fact Prime is my favorite character of all time, not just favorite Transformer, even I can acknowledge that him and Bee saturate the market a little too much.