Wave 1/100 VF-1 Battroids

TMBounty_Hunter

More "practice" kits because I'm still too scared to touch the Hasegawa ones. Gonna need even more practice after these because of how much I've screwed up. Managed to flood some panel lines with paint even on these ones and had to go back and rescribe. Mangled some decals too but thankfully I had a spare Wave VF-1A Valk kit for replacements. Paint peeling off with masking tape, etc. Couldn't manage a "clean" paintjob so made it all weathered instead, with black cartoony panel lines on top.

Oh well, at least they're done and I'm happy enough with the end result despite all of the above.

Skull Leader and Vermilion Three ready to kick ass :D

nP0MUpw.jpg

W3r7Hfn.jpg

WKiIdOH.jpg

rMR6J3F.jpg

mejtNBn.jpg

JbHBjWf.jpg

LQyvoqe.jpg

zEwtaBS.jpg

nRU3nj6.jpg

Nanwq4a.jpg

EBzYxwF.jpg

VVSYpKf.jpg

cz6xTGC.jpg

TSeD8nV.jpg

cyxiO9J.jpg

zFYQ3HL.jpg

I have two Wave VF-1A valks from a HLJ sale, one of them is gonna get painted up hopefully identically to the Max battroid so that I can have all 3 modes.

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

Those are great models! If there were any blemishes in the paint, you did a great job of blending them in with the weathering. The heavy weathering makes it looks like they're coming straight out of a hard fight, which is very believable. Nice work!

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

I can see the mess ups, but only because you mentioned them. If you do any more kits just for fun post the pics, then wait to see if anyone notices anything wrong, then let us know all the problems.

I can see the panel lines sometimes look a little thick and the 1s chest stripes look like they had some issues, but over all it's just nitpicking and me trying to see the problems you mentioned. Very good work for the scale.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Petrov27, the panel lines were Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color Black. The larger areas like the verniers and top of the torso was airbrushed Testor enamel Black then wiped off with lighter fluid.

Big s, well these kits took way longer than I hoped (as always) and every screwup resulted in so much internal moaning and crying that I seem to be unable to post without that attitude leaking over. Hopefully the next kit or two will go better :D

Again super cool and man I get you with the screw ups we make - seems like the kit takes forever!

I am using the Tamiya Panel line stuff as well but having some mixed experiences - do you apply over a very glossy finish or more flat? I am doing over very glossy and the stuff seems to go on fine but in the process of drying it seems to run out of the panel lines too much

Thanks guys!

I am using the Tamiya Panel line stuff as well but having some mixed experiences - do you apply over a very glossy finish or more flat? I am doing over very glossy and the stuff seems to go on fine but in the process of drying it seems to run out of the panel lines too much

There were situations here where I applied it over the whole range from flat to gloss and it seemed to work very same-y through all that. I had rescribed with panel lines quiet deep because I flooded some of the OOB ones earlier so I didn't have the issues of it running out. However the stuff does seem very, very, very thin and to get the really black and cartoony panel lines I had to do multiple applications in some places to get enough pigment.

EDIT:

Well today was more fun than expected. Went to the http://www.torcanmodelshow.com/

The turnout in the Mecha category was pretty fantastic: http://i.imgur.com/EbtplWi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/EHI4i2j.jpg

They ended up splitting the category into 1/100 and 1/144 and smaller

Max got the Bronze and Focker the Silver in 1/100: http://i.imgur.com/lKlJhrI.jpg

Gold in 1/100 went to the Ground Gundam iirc.

I'm pleasantly surprised at this, I thought the competition was pretty stiff. Yay either way :D

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter