MG rex is on the way

• 2 weeks later...

New picture, showing off poseability, scale and tiny snake figure in the cockpit.

word is this will be the last grey proto teaser, and the first color shots will be coming soon.

rexy.jpg
Edited by anime52k8

At that size and price, then shipping and insurance will be what... $100 to $300? :(

Really love it... And all I can do is hope Sqaure or Tamashi will make one at cheaper price...

Given that it's threeA, shipping will be included in the final sale price.

• 1 month later...

So here we are, halfway through January...

Pre-order not up yet...

Is that s Snake mini-fig...? :unsure:

looks like a minimate or something. definately not the snake that's coming with the toy.

Man this thing looks so good, I wish could actually afford it. :(

looks like a minimate or something. definately not the snake that's coming with the toy.

Man this thing looks so good, I wish could actually afford it. :(

That's actually a Medicom Kubrick figure. I have one. =)

I'd buy it in a heartbeat...if buying it didn't mean mortgaging my house.

Just glad it's not a Gekko, or it'd be even more tempting. Can't resist those sexy ungulate legs wrapped in olive drag rubber, topped with a tank turret; is something wrong with me? :blink:

^ :lol:

I always hated the gekkos. Couldn't stand the way they moved and acted. They were like farts in motion to me, if that makes sense :ph34r:

Consider me bought for this MG Rex. If anyone comes to realize the pre-order date, please do tell me, as I would love to get one.

I've never bought any toys from 3A, but do you have to make an account or something on bambaland.com, or can you just troll on in and order?

Rumors on forums say easily above $300 due to the compensation for the lisence, and it's size.....

Consider me bought for this MG Rex. If anyone comes to realize the pre-order date, please do tell me, as I would love to get one.

I've never bought any toys from 3A, but do you have to make an account or something on bambaland.com, or can you just troll on in and order?

Rumors on forums say easily above $300 due to the compensation for the lisence, and it's size.....

We'll know when the pre-order date is when they announce it on their production blog and the countdown widget goes up, they like to give about 1~2 weeks notice. You'll need an account on bambaland but you can set it up at checkout. (I'm assuming this guy will be a standard 24 hour release so you'll have time to do that). btw, word from Ash is that price will be under $500.

^ :lol:

I always hated the gekkos. Couldn't stand the way they moved and acted. They were like farts in motion to me, if that makes sense :ph34r:

Floating brown clouds like those in cartoons? :D

Heheh, I know Gekkos aren't exactly the most popular designs in MGS; you either love 'em or hate 'em. I happen to love them. That cow noise they make takes a little getting used to, though.

We'll know when the pre-order date is when they announce it on their production blog and the countdown widget goes up, they like to give about 1~2 weeks notice. You'll need an account on bambaland but you can set it up at checkout. (I'm assuming this guy will be a standard 24 hour release so you'll have time to do that). btw, word from Ash is that price will be under $500.

You know, if the price is somewhere along the lines of MP-10 Optimus, I might be willing to get one of those. I mean, the REX is easily twice the size of MP-10, and infinitely more detailed.

You know, if the price is somewhere along the lines of MP-10 Optimus, I might be willing to get one of those. I mean, the REX is easily twice the size of MP-10, and infinitely more detailed.

MP-10 retails for about $285 before shipping. I think you're getting a better deal on this guy even if it is $500.

That's actually a Medicom Kubrick figure. I have one. =)

Cool! I thought it looked too big to be a Lego fig.

MP-10 retails for about $285 before shipping. I think you're getting a better deal on this guy even if it is $500.

Get a credit card... or get a second one. This might only get released once.

Mp-10 is awesome, but overpriced. I seem to recall mine costing about $180 tho... I'm hoping REX isn't more than $400. REX and the VF-4G will do in about half my toy budget this year.

From the 3A forum:

Another photo of MGS REX from Kojima Hideo twitter , railgun is HUGE! People keep asking about scale and prices. Sadly I can't say anything about the price and as for the scale, we know that REX stands almost 20" tall and according to info, I've found "real" REX height is 12meters, so with simple conversion and math, we are getting 1:23 scale ratio (feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong).

4Ms7L.jpg

Ashley reminding that MGS RAY would be as cool, as REX is:

Ray is awesome too, no other plans beyond those too, if you want more tell Konami !

Sooo... RAY, eh..?

• 3 weeks later...

any time they say that they hope to do something by a given month, it's usually about a month too optimistic. There hasn't been any news since last update, but they've been pretty busy the last month so I'm not all that surprised.

Officially out of funds to buy this. I had to make a choice between waiting for them to announce this or take the chance to pre-order the HT Tumbler, after missing the chance to get the Tumbler the first time.

It was a difficult choice but I had to choose the Tumbler--don't even know when the Rex is going to be announced. Hopefully if it's released at around Q3 this year, I'd have recuperated enough of my fig funds to buy this.

I'm thinking it's probably going to go live for pre-order sometime in late February, or perhaps early to mid march.

Also keep in mind that this is a ThreeA toy. Preorders are frequently a one day sale thing and they never reissue old products so if you don’t nab it when it goes up you’re only option will be secondary market. And with something this big and pricey, coupled with their new policies against scalpers (2 figures per customer/shipping address max, suspect orders will be canceled at their discretion), this will be crushingly expensive to pick up on eBay.

I'm thinking it's probably going to go live for pre-order sometime in late February, or perhaps early to mid march.

Also keep in mind that this is a ThreeA toy. Preorders are frequently a one day sale thing and they never reissue old products so if you don’t nab it when it goes up you’re only option will be secondary market. And with something this big and pricey, coupled with their new policies against scalpers (2 figures per customer/shipping address max, suspect orders will be canceled at their discretion), this will be crushingly expensive to pick up on eBay.

Nothing I can do about it at this point; already paid 100 USD deposit for the Tumbler pre-order. Well, there's always the possibility of a future Ray.

Hmm, really? Most of the aftermarket sellers I see are selling the zaku for quite near, or even under its 3A selling price of $330. Wonder what's going on there...

IMO, I think the Zaku is a pretty different story. Rex is obviously way more popular and pretty darn accurate to the one in the game, while the Zaku is simply a "reimagination" of the mobile suit in 3A's signature design style. I've been reading comments about the 3A Zaku at hobby forums, and many weren't exactly heaping praises on it. Their major complaint was that it just didn't look enough like a Zaku, and you could easily mistake it for another 3A Popbot figure if no one told you anything about it.

Yeah, I guess I can see that as well. I mean, if you think hard about it, it could be a zaku, but the freakish proportions, random BFG, and the worst of it all, two eyes instead of one, do make it quite the digression from your standard zaku.

I wonder why he went about it like that when so much more money could be made from doing it like they are doing Rex right now.

And GU-11, I've heard that they've confirmed a Ray in the future...

Honestly, it's more of a "guy in a gas mask" than Zaku.

And thanks for the heads up on the Ray. As much as I like the Rex and its raw mechanical form, I've never played the first MGS on PS1, and only started becoming a fan of the games after playing MSG2 - Sons of Liberty. My deepest impression of a metal gear is and always will be the Ray.

Edited by GU-11

RAY was mentioned 10 posts up in the quote from the 3A News feed. <_<

Orders are now expected to go up around Mid to late February, however apparently Kojima's twitter said it still has a long way to go before the final look is achieved. No more info on price. Expected to be a single limited release, but there are indications of future colorways - which is kinda annoying. :unsure:

Hmm, really? Most of the aftermarket sellers I see are selling the zaku for quite near, or even under its 3A selling price of $330. Wonder what's going on there...

Not too sure what to tell you, although I can see Zaku being a lot less popular than the MG Rex. Also, buying that kind of stuff on ebay is pretty risky. Your window for making a claim through paypal/ebay if the guy ends up screwing you over will be long gone by the time the toy actually ships out and anyone has it in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, good news. Well, I was kinda hoping for about $400 inc shipping, oh well... The $490 is expected to include shipping tho.

Last night from the 3A Forums:

green light to sell it on a certain date, the toy is done, with MGS you dont tell konami when your just gonna sell it, its a joint effort. but if you want more drama in your life pertaining to what it meant go for it. should still be this month, getting the photos done soon.

• 2 weeks later...

BOOM!!! From 3AVOX 2-5

MGS REX will go onsale at Bambaland on March 2nd at 9-00am, $490USD which includes world wide shipping. MGS REX will get a special newsletter soon !

I hope you've been saving up your pennies children...

mgs1.jpg
Edited by anime52k8

As much as I like the Rex and its raw mechanical form, I've never played the first MGS on PS1, and only started becoming a fan of the games after playing MSG2 - Sons of Liberty. My deepest impression of a metal gear is and always will be the Ray.

Not even in MGS4? Controlling Rex in the fourth game was a dream, probably my favorite part in the game along with Act 1.

I love Ray, but find it very alien looking. While Rex has that awesome crude military feel.

Still as much as I love Rex, I really can't justify 500$ on a toy, which with shipping will be... 700$. If it was remote controlled and it walked then yeah. :p

Guess some of us have to wait for a Revoltech or Tamashi version... ???

BTW, anyone here got the Kai Metal Gears of Peace Walker? How are they?

Edited by Omegablue