Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I didn't know FFXII had a demo...

I wonder what Squeenix will do for the international version of FFXIII... Does anyone know if the international version of FFXII had dual language settings for text?

Edited by shiroikaze

Was the battle system even finalized then? If you go back and look at some older footage, even though the areas and characters seem finalized, the battle system was definitely overhauled. (it seemed like different abilities have different costs, like 40/50/60, not raw "ATB segments" like currently---I kind of like the idea of more subtle differences)

So I finally got around to playing the God of War Collection before going to pick up GoW3. Went through the first area and I guess I am at Athens. Is this it? I understand you unlock more abilities and fight different baddies and whatnot, but is this generally it? I am not seeing what made people who first picked up this game say, WOW, this is SWEET.

No, you leave Athens soon afterwards.

I know that. What I mean is, well, does it get more interesting? Alot more interesting? Because right now it's just a button masher with a story I don't give a damn about.

If you like dislike "extreme!" quick-time events and gore, then it's not the game for you.

It's not that I dislike them... just from everything I've heard about this game, I guess I expected to be blown away from the word go. Will I become more engrossed in the story and the game mechanics as it goes along? Or is this a case of, "what you see is what you get"?

It's not that I dislike them... just from everything I've heard about this game, I guess I expected to be blown away from the word go. Will I become more engrossed in the story and the game mechanics as it goes along? Or is this a case of, "what you see is what you get"?

I heard good things about the game, but I never heard "great" things. Gameplay-wise, it is along the lines of "What you see is what you get".

I found the story pretty interesting enough to keep me going towards the end.

I heard good things about the game, but I never heard "great" things.

I guess you missed all of the "game of the year" awards both games won, along with both being widely considered two of the very best games of the entire PS2 era.

I loved the first two GoW. Gotta get GoW III, of course, but still need to finish the remastered original and then do II first. I was gonna buy it to show my support but figured it's success is guaranteed and got Yakuza 3 instead.

Great game, btw. Some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the PS3. Especially the faces. It's very deep, too. Not quite the GTA IV I was expecting and more like a JRPG but still very good.

Challenge of the Gods is the epitome of the first game, so I'd say by the time you get to Pandora's Box, you'll know if you like the game or not. Athens was the very beginning wasn't it?

Challenge of the Gods is the epitome of the first game, so I'd say by the time you get to Pandora's Box, you'll know if you like the game or not. Athens was the very beginning wasn't it?

Second stage/chapter/whatever.

Second stage/chapter/whatever.

Play it a little longer. Until you start to understand how Kratos got to the point where he was jumping off the cliff in the opening cutscene, the story's not going to be much more than "Kratos chop."

Right. Gameplay wise, you'll see some more intricate puzzles, etc. But the action mechanics are about what you're going to see (bigger coefficient for Ares, etc)

*sigh* Turns out Level-5 skimped out on White Knight Chronicles. Story mode is pretty brief, and they devoted more to multiplayer. In fact, the trophies, Georama and item crafting are for multiplayer, because it's impossible to utilize any of them effectively offline.

You get one for Playstation Home automatically when your PS3 has a save file. Sony was also giving away a real one a while back.

I'll still be playing WKC for the multiplayer, maybe even try a Let's Play or something. There better be some old save bonuses for White Knight Chronicles 2.

*sigh* Turns out Level-5 skimped out on White Knight Chronicles. Story mode is pretty brief, and they devoted more to multiplayer. In fact, the trophies, Georama and item crafting are for multiplayer, because it's impossible to utilize any of them effectively offline.

All of the reviews covered its problems and flaws. No one should have been surprised if they bought it.

All of the reviews covered its problems and flaws. No one should have been surprised if they bought it.

Yeah, I knew, but it was really abrupt for a modern game, like a certain cartoon that hasn't shown life for three years. However, there's signs that Level-5 ARE committed to a sequel with trailer and relative release date. A huge advantage for them that everyone outside Japan got this around the time the sequel got revealed. I just think they could have put it into the one game instead of more. If this were any game up to the PS2 era, there would be more story or a message to swap the disc after the ending that was shown. But this is a Blu-Ray disc, so what gives?

For example,

where was the Captain of the Guard character going again? I watched the guy cry for a king he called dad throughout the game. He could have saved everyone time by just taking it like a man.

It's my first experience with the latest gen game consoles.

Edited by Einherjar

We're holding off getting White Knight Chronicles until we stick in a bigger HDD in the machine (we only have the 60GB version, hopefully we can get a TB HDD into the thing; we only got it because of the backwards compatibility built in).