AKIRA LIVE ACTION MOVIE = Life Support?

IT'S CONFIRMED !!! THE AKIRA LAM IS DEAD !!!

From IGN website :

"June 15, 2009 - If you were hoping to see that live-action, big screen version of the anime classic Akira, well, stop hoping.

According to Bloody-Disgusting, director Ruairi Robinson has parted ways with the project. The site adds that they have heard the Leonardo DiCaprio-produced remake is "dead as a doornail.""

LINK : http://movies.ign.com/articles/994/994717p1.html

Robotech is next I tell you guys. cool.gif And maybe Ghost in the Shell ? unsure.gif

meh, don't care much either way. If it was good I would have seen it, if it sucked I wouldn't have.

I think robotech is gonna be easier to translate and much more marketable (more toys, action figures, commercial tie-ins, etc) so I can see that project having more legs than Akira.

Oh no! That's just awful. Curse you for being a flop Stateside, Dragon Ball!!!

What next? Cowboy Bebop?

I think robotech is gonna be easier to translate and much more marketable (more toys, action figures, commercial tie-ins, etc) so I can see that project having more legs than Akira.

Provided the powers that be sort out Robotech's tangled legal issues...

Oh no! That's just awful. Curse you for being a flop Stateside, Dragon Ball!!!

What next? Cowboy Bebop?

Provided the powers that be sort out Robotech's tangled legal issues...

well the legal issues are about macross right? So if they go with "robotech" and make new designs or use designs that aren't in contention, should be no problem.

well the legal issues are about macross right? So if they go with "robotech" and make new designs or use designs that aren't in contention, should be no problem.

Forgive my off-topicness, but quick question:

If Warner Brothers decided to give an F22 a Gerwalk/Guardian config in a Macross/Robotech movie, will they get sued by Big West/Bandai?

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

dude how many times are you gonna edit your post...

what's so rude about telling people that there's already a whole thread on the Robotech license debate. And how touchy are you to get so offended by it. Geez... someone sweep the eggshells around this guy.

If Warner Brothers decided to give an F22 a Gerwalk/Guardian config in a Macross/Robotech movie, will they get sued by Big West/Bandai?

Not if they make it look like a Bay-former

what's so rude about telling people that there's already a whole thread on the Robotech license debate. And how touchy are you to get so offended by it. Geez... someone sweep the eggshells around this guy.

Lets just drop it. I just didn't expect that sort of response with my question (which I said was off-topic anyway). Sorry.

Edited by chrisk

Lets just drop it. I just didn't expect that sort of response with my question (which I said was off-topic anyway). Sorry.

I was responding to Eugimon... who happens to be the apple of my eye. So there was never any rudeness mean on my post... yours just happened to appear right before I hit reply... topic dropped.... moving along...

I was responding to Eugimon... who happens to be the apple of my eye. So there was never any rudeness mean on my post... yours just happened to appear right before I hit reply... topic dropped.... moving along...

What? Why are you so mean to me? Why are you picking on me? obviously this is some sort of vast moderator conspiracy to stifle free speech on these boards!!! :lol:

Hmmm, no Akira??? Well, OK.

I wasn't too optimistic about this in the first place, and I'd rather just keep the series show where it has been, and not a LAM. That just didn't seem right as a movie. I think Cowboy Bebop has a better chance, but may end up being too much like Serenity. Who knows about Robotech. I'm kinda in agreement that I'd like to see the 80s anime gone movie popularity die.

I doubt it. Because Lockheed Martin/Boeing wold have to approve the use of the f-22 from the start. And even then i think Lockheed Martin/Boeing has more pull than bandai does.

Well, in any case, cyberpunk won't be making a second comeback in the States

Give it time. Once all the Naruto, DBZ shows have finished their run. Something new will be waiting in the shadows.

But right now the trend is dark almost goth like for anime series.

back on topic.

It may have been an rating issue. The 'R' rating doesn't sell too well these days.

IMO it would have been like watchmen. that is if everything was done correctly and followed the books/movie it would be over the top. And people who haven't read or watched it would have hated it.

back on topic.

It may have been an rating issue. The 'R' rating doesn't sell too well these days.

IMO it would have been like watchmen. that is if everything was done correctly and followed the books/movie it would be over the top. And people who haven't read or watched it would have hated it.

Akira could have been dumb-downed to a PG-13. For all we know, the price tag could have been more than what the studio was willing to pay. Or Ruairi Robinson may have decided he wasn't ready for a Hollywood-size director's chair. Three short films (and I mean less than 10 min-short) may have made him rethink whether or not he wanted to proceed with this project.

Akira could have been dumb-downed to a PG-13. For all we know, the price tag could have been more than what the studio was willing to pay. Or Ruairi Robinson may have decided he wasn't ready for a Hollywood-size director's chair. Three short films (and I mean less than 10 min-short) may have made him rethink whether or not he wanted to proceed with this project.

yeah, it could have easily been turned down into a dumb "jumper" type chase movie with big 'splosions and effects driven with all of the ideas on technology and ripped out.

OK guys, let's make things clear : Just because I mentioned robotech (notice the LITTLE r) does not mean you have to DOMINATE the thread with it especially when there is already a robotech only thread. <_< And as far I am concerned, REAL, ORIGINAL and far more pouplar anime TV series than robotech like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop are more worth discussing since they are not ripoffs intended to steal the work of others. Hope you get the message guys.

Edited by Macross007

that or they couldn't get companies to agree with the massive product placements through out.

makes me wonder if Steven Spielberg's adaption of ghost in the shell is still in the works.

Well, in any case, cyberpunk won't be making a second comeback in the States.

Can't believe you forgot Ghost in the Shell. :huh: The GITS LAM is still in the works. I think at least ... :unsure:

Edited by Macross007

that or they couldn't get companies to agree with the massive product placements through out.

makes me wonder if Steven Spielberg's adaption of ghost in the shell is still in the works.

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Steven Speilberg will be not producing or even directing the Ghost in the Shell movie. He did help DreamWorks in acquiring the rights to produce a live-action film adaptation but apparently he does not want to get involved in the project. Strange considering the fact he mentioned that "'Ghost in the Shell' is one of his favorite stories" ...

yeah, it could have easily been turned down into a dumb "jumper" type chase movie with big 'splosions and effects driven with all of the ideas on technology and ripped out.

Exactly. It won't have been hard to make it into a PG-13 "summer" movie. The whole project may have just collapsed on itself so the director decided to just get out. If the project wasn't going anywhere and chances of it being revived were zero at this point, I would jump off the sinking ship.

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Steven Speilberg will be not producing or even directing the Ghost in the Shell movie. He did help DreamWorks in acquiring the rights to produce a live-action film adaptation but apparently he does not want to get involved in the project. Strange considering the fact he mentioned that "'Ghost in the Shell' is one of his favorite stories" ...

Maybe he just doesn't have the time for it.

Maybe he just doesn't have the time for it.

So what's the point of acquiring the rights to produce a live-action movie of Ghost in the Shell if Speilberg himself cannot do it ? Sorry if I am being dense, but I don't understand this one. :huh:

Edited by Macross007

Ya' know what, I'm glad the live action Akira is cancelled.

I hope the live action Ghost in the Shell, Coyboy Bebop and Robotech get canned too.

As I've said many times, the animes are classics and excellent in their own right. I just

don't see any way that a live action version could possibly improve on them.

In all likelyhood, live action versions would be inferior in every aspect to the original anime source material.

I would far prefer that Hollywood actually try to think of some original ideas, rather than the endless cycle of remakes, reboots and sequels that we seem to be stuck in now.

Graham

Well, in any case, cyberpunk won't be making a second comeback in the States.

Speaking of cyberpunk, there is, allegedly, a filmed version of Neuromancer in the works, but it is probably vapourware. Could Avatar be classed as Cyberpunk?

Taksraven

Ya' know what, I'm glad the live action Akira is cancelled.

I hope the live action Ghost in the Shell, Coyboy Bebop and Robotech get canned too.

As I've said many times, the animes are classics and excellent in their own right. I just

don't see any way that a live action version could possibly improve on them.

In all likelyhood, live action versions would be inferior in every aspect to the original anime source material.

I would far prefer that Hollywood actually try to think of some original ideas, rather than the endless cycle of remakes, reboots and sequels that we seem to be stuck in now.

Graham

I generally agree with the sentiments. I know that Hollywood has a patchy history with adaptations, remakes and reimaginings, but most of the time they are shite. The one that really pushed me over the edge was The Avengers. What an effing waste of a cast and resources, and all because the writers were crap and thought that they knew better than the shows creators.

They talk about a big screen remake of "The Prisoner" and the idea used to excite me, but now I am certainly at the stage where I hope it NEVER happens.

Taksraven

Strange considering the fact he mentioned that "'Ghost in the Shell' is one of his favorite stories" ...

Guys like Spielberg will namecheck LOTS of stuff and compliment it, and I suspect that they often have not seen what they are talking about. Guys like Spielberg should be smart enough to know that the original is fine and does not need stuffing around with. I hate the mentatility that a lot of people have that anime or animated work in general does not get real "legitimacy" until it becomes live action.

Taksraven