Bandai DX Chogokin VF-1 Speculation Thread

Kanedas Bike

Not sure whether Bandai would handle it differently than previous versions, but I just noticed that the plate which usually extends backwards from the backpack in gerwalk and battroid seems to actually extend from the fuselage itself in that picture, though not sure how accurate that is, it does seem to make the backpack look awfully tall... The Yamato version has both on the same hinge, but this version seems to place the hinge a little higher up.

Also, cool page.

Edited by Brand-X

it's probably going to have ball joints for the ankles. T_T

You're probably right, and if not there then some other joint that hopefully won't get loose immediately or over time.

1/48 or 1/32 or bust! Don't want replacements for my existing 1/60 stuff B))

Agree, I'd like a different scale too, maybe a renewed 1/55 just because I don't want the headache of trying to decide whether or not to replace my existing 1/60's from another company. But there'd be a part of me that wants all my Valkyries to be in-scale with one another.

And Brand-X, you're right in that it might be hard to re-re-re-re-reinvent the wheel but I'd hope for at least (1) feature that's innovative or other versions.

-b.

Well like many here I already have a good collection of Yamato 1:60v2 VF-1. To be able to market a new version of VF-1 for collectors, I think it need to have some significant improvements.

I would like see these IMO minor problems on the 1:60v2 fixed:

1) Better range of movement of shoulder joint.

2) No more shoulder and wing blocking each other in gerwalk mode.

3) Better leg movement range for battroid mode. Extendable heap joint like the DX YF-30 would be neat. Awkward legs like the 1:72 model would be bad.

4) Leg again - the lower legs can be a bit shorter, like the wave models.

5) Fast pack connection on the back without needing an extra mount bracket, or at least less visible. But the 1:48 way that put a lot of weight on a small plastic hook is also not ideal.

So here was my wishlist as I remember it from before:
1) Emulate the canon transformation by incorporating swing bars that move the legs to their position. Do this by putting a bar inside the nosecone that twists to poke out on either side. Then have the legs move down on swing arms, open up, and attach to the bars (or just plug in I suppose using rubber sockets). Then have those arms release (by squeezing in like binder clips). Make it so those arms then fold out and up to be the side covers for battroid mode. It would take some engineering but it'd be sweet.

2) Have the heat shield not be attached to the chest so a point of articulation can be added in the back of battroid. Since we're using swing arms there should also be a totally functional waist. If you want to go for brownie points, figure out a way how to angle the cockpit forward below the canopy in battroid mode though that may be impossible without going 1/48.

3) No folding leg fins. If they want to do something with the leg fins, let the use recess them as that's more akin to what happens in the show anyway.

4) Hard points on the wings, no VF-171 shenanigans

5) Just do the 1/48 style fast packs. The problem with the 1/48s was that little spike on the back that sometimes people forgot to recess which then caused them to over stress the backpack.

More articulation, including waist. Make sure one of the included hands is a saluting hand.

Keep it in scale with the DX line, As much as everyone here complains, I don't want another scale to build.

tampo, tampo, tampo.. and just include the damn super parts. especially if they are DYRL valks, they hardly flew without them.

I've gone back and forth over this in my mind, and I think I've decided that I don't really want a DX VF-1 to have too many new gimmicks or features that would make it over-engineered. I don't really feel the need for an "ultimate" version of the toy that incorporate every possible anime-accurate feature. Bear in mind that every time you add features or a gimmick, you're adding a point of failure too. I thought the Yamato VF-1 pretty much had everything you really would want a VF-1 toy to have, in terms of features and functions. So I think I'd just want it to offer a good value for the money, with an interesting or different take on the VF-1 than we've already seen that is still faithful to the design. Like skullmilitia said, have lots of tampo so I don't need stickers, include a non-ugly stand, and do it for less $$$ than Arcadia.

YES!! Pretty much every point eveyone has made in this thread so far!

I especially like the idea of a much larger scale! Primarily as i dont want a replacement for my 1/60 collection.. Also being a physically larger toy they could design certain joints much more advanced / sophisticated and be more robust. We dont like the current shoulders of the Yamato Arcadia VF1 releases and we sure as hell dont want crappy ball jointed ankles.. better hands, a waist joint etc etc the list could be huge!

I dont want to sound so negative when i say this but who are we kidding with this..? I honestly dont see it happening especially not the way WE all would want it be.. if they do eventually remake a VF1 it'll probably be based on their sh!te 1/72 scale transforming kits or just be a mix of older tech and what ever they come up with on their upcoming VF19 Advance release..

Edited by spanner76

I dont want to sound so negative when i say this but who are we kidding with this..? I honestly dont see it happening especially not the way WE all would want it be.. if they do eventually remake a VF1 it'll probably be based on their sh!te 1/72 scale transforming kits or just be a mix of older tech and what ever they come up with on their upcoming VF19 Advance release..

Everything that people ever come up with in threads like this are totally outside the realm of ever actually happening. Personally, I'd be interested in a Bandai VF-1 as long as they can make it look good next to their VF-25's. I like the specific aesthetic commonalities that run across the existing DX chogokin valks (VF-25's. YF-29's, VF-171 and YF-30's). as good as the VF-1's from Yamato are, they just look off next to Bandai valks just do to the materials and sculpting choices Yamato chose to make. I'm not saying either are bad, they're just different. But I would like to have a more homogeneous collection, and I like my VF-25's more than any other valk, so I'm using that as my standard.

I'm excited for the YF-19 advanced even though I've got a YF-19 for this very reason. The YF-19 arcadia is a great toy, and it fits with the Yamato YF-21 and VF-11B for a perfect Mac+ display. but I can't put them anywhere near my VF-25's even though I want to.

Everything that people ever come up with in threads like this are totally outside the realm of ever actually happening. Personally, I'd be interested in a Bandai VF-1 as long as they can make it look good next to their VF-25's. I like the specific aesthetic commonalities that run across the existing DX chogokin valks (VF-25's. YF-29's, VF-171 and YF-30's). as good as the VF-1's from Yamato are, they just look off next to Bandai valks just do to the materials and sculpting choices Yamato chose to make. I'm not saying either are bad, they're just different. But I would like to have a more homogeneous collection, and I like my VF-25's more than any other valk, so I'm using that as my standard.

I'm excited for the YF-19 advanced even though I've got a YF-19 for this very reason. The YF-19 arcadia is a great toy, and it fits with the Yamato YF-21 and VF-11B for a perfect Mac+ display. but I can't put them anywhere near my VF-25's even though I want to.

This * 1000.

-b.

I like the Yamato design but it would be interesting to see if Bandai could improve on it.

One gripe I have with the Yamatos is that the backpack is way too far back in gerwalk mode. You would think they could engineer a solution to slide it forward a bit in that mode, but slide it back in battroid (so it doesn't stick up way too high).

I also don't like the little break in the fighter-mode profile silhouette caused by the canopy hinge.

My only other Yamato gripe is how the nosecone slides up in battroid mode. This means you don't get that cool look where the head is recessed in the "collar" area of the battroid. Also it means there is no room for the longer canopy of the VF-1D to occupy, which was a design f-up by Yamato in my opinion.

A scaled up hi-metal with integrated parts would probably fit the bill for most and potentially hit a really decent price point.

This would be great! I loved the high metal other than all the parts swapping.

This is precisely why I prefer a one-Valk-to-rule-them-all scenario. Just make the damn thing big and expensive and most of us won't need more than one. We already have all the Yamarcadias we could want. Then they can go back to wanking off with their Gundams ;)

I really doubt Bandai will ever make a DX VF-1. But if they did, they would probably only make a few hero valks and quit. They certainly wouldn't give the line the attention Yamato did.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They have done most every variation on the 25 series, including the prophecy, and they aren't done with it yet!

if they were good toys, i would get the Movie VF-1's, because i don't have the Yamatos of those. And if Arcadia doesn't re-release the M&Ms, and the Bandais look comparable to the Yamatos enough to stand together, I'd get those too.

- Lightnings ! They can do it for their Gundam! Comon! )

- A "solid" anime-accurate leg attachment (not the floppy iteration imagined for 1/72 Bandai version or Yamato V1)

- Improved arm transformation like here http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-transformation2.gif

etc, there are so small details to be improved, there is no need to change the scale/design to make it worth the upgrade!

Edited by Xigfrid

personally i don't like what bandai has put out there in the vf-1 model kit arena or the hi metal that much...proportions look awkward. also please no metal on metal ball joints. 1/60 scale or bust since everything macross is that scale anyway (dx chogokins valks are close and of course arcadia stuff). the only thing that is hard to do that i'd want....a waist and or ab joint. havent' thought out the sepcifics on how to do that but it'd be nice to have a vf-1 that can do that.

I'm tired of the BS 1/60 scale. There's enough of it from Yamato/Arcadia. We also got a decent one from Yamato in 1/48 scale. It's time we got one in 1/72 scale. If I can't display a VF-1 next to a F-14 or F-16 in the same scale, I don't want it.

Isn't that what models are for? But yeah I wish the whole line would have been 1/48 but that would have made rest of the VFs too expensive the make. I'm guessing after the 1/72 Plus and the first 1/60 VF-1, Yamato wanted to make valkyries approx 12", hence the 1/48 vf-1 and 1/60 everything else and that's when the 1/60 scale stuck.

Most people would have a problem putting toys next to models because of aesthetics... hell, even as anime52k8 some people have problems putting one toy next to the other.

Is it me or is Bandai more of a box scale company when it comes to Macross toys?

As far as a new VF-1, I'm somewhat doubting it but would love to be wrong.

i dunno, i think that Bandai will be releasing VF-1 toys. they already tested the waters with the transformable 1/72 model kits. flimsy as they were, they sold out pretty fast. i also think that they'll have it in the same scale, and the same price point, as the current dx chogokin line

they may even release more m7 toys with the yf-19 as their gauge...

UNLESS, they're already developing the toys for the new series now (that's really wishful thinking hehehe)...