Newbie Questions on Macross

Okay the idea behind this thread is simple, you newbies tend to ask questions that are for better words are either easy to find common knowledge or sound pretty funny. You don't want to look stupid and we don't want to have mod a bunch of little topics.

If you have a question about Macross like,

" Whose that green haired lady?"

" What happen to Rick hunter?"

" Did Minmay kiss her brother?"

and other newbie questions like these post them here.

*I want to make some ground rules clear*

* It's only for newbie type questions about Macross.

* That's from a real newbies not from you clowns wanting to have some fun.

* When someone post a simple question here hopefully one the more experienced posters will tell the newbie the answer.

* It's question and answer format only. Nothing more.

* Newbies tend to be lazy and ask questions about everything. If you can point the newbie to the source it's better than just telling them the answer straight.

* If you see a newbie question about Macross somewhere else direct them here and their other topic will be closed/deleted.

:angry: Warning do not break the grounds rules. :angry:

PS: the answer to over half of a newbie's question

www.anime.net/macross

PPS: For viewing past Newbie Qs

http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ik...2;t=2359;st=420

In episode 4 of SDF - Macross, the fold generators in the Macross VANISHED!!!!  What happened to them?

I was about to ask the same thing! What happened to them?! Was there ever an explanation? The RT novel End of The Circle gave a half-a$$ed Idea of what happened to them. But what about Macross?

Edit** Learn to type faster!**

Edited by scand

In Robotech End of the Circle they came back. In Macross I think they just vanished. I assume vanished means they ceased to be.

I don't know anything about a Tech-Rowboat, or whatever you were talking about... but in Macross there has to be a better answer than "just vanished."

*chugs many beers* beerchug.gifmug.gif

What ever happend to Hikaru, Misa and Minmay? *chugs more beer*

Won't it be cool if we could see more of those 3?

*Downs blacker than black coffee* 303.gif

KAWAMORI HAS STATED THAT THERE WILL BE NO MORE HIKARU/MISA/MINMAY STORIES!!! For all intents and purposes, the Megaroad went bye-bye. Transmission was lost. Kaput.

For more answers to common questions:

Lebhead's site (link)

In episode 4 of SDF - Macross, the fold generators in the Macross VANISHED!!!! What happened to them?

Ummmm...went to the place where all plot devices go?

I don't know anything about a Tech-Rowboat, or whatever you were talking about... but in Macross there has to be a better answer than "just vanished."

Actually, in space (inthe sci-fi world, of course), things do vanish. How do you explain where something is when it's in the middle of nowhere.

But the wway they disappeared is simple. They were fold generators. They generated a wormhole for them to travel thru except they didn't take the Macross all the way with them. Instead, the Macross was dropped off somewhere else.

Edited by >EXO<

Here's a silly query: How come we never see any video games in subsequent Macross OVAs, movies, and series?

Huh? You mean like why don't they make VF-X 2 into a OAV? For that answer, you'll probably have to ask Kawamori. My answer would be because they don't want to.

I have maybe a plausible explanation.

Well, maybe a few.

I once read, in Star Wars book, you should never make the jump to hyperspace in a gravity field. You can rip you, your crew and your ship to shreds. Probability of this happening to the Macross is remote.

Hyperspace traveling, by it's very nature, is hyperdimensional. When Macross refolded, the drive did not, and remained in fold. Maybe they didn't know they had to refold the fold system. Probability of this happening, I think, are very high.

Thier fold engine is prolly floating in hyperspace somewhere

I've heard a few times here (old boards), that the voice actor for Hikaru has passed away. That's a shame. . . and obviously not just for reasons related to Macross.

But, if it's not too ghoulish, I was wondering if there is any further information on how he died. Natural causes? Heart attack?

Thanks!

I've heard a few times here (old boards), that the voice actor for Hikaru has passed away. That's a shame. . . and obviously not just for reasons related to Macross.

But, if it's not too ghoulish, I was wondering if there is any further information on how he died. Natural causes? Heart attack?

IIRC, he died in an accident. Car or motorcycle related.

That one I've always found wierd. For the longest time, the IMDB said it was a motorcycle accident, but then they suddenly switched to saying it was suicide--a fall from a tall building. Does anyone have any hard evidence on what happened?

That one I've always found wierd. For the longest time, the IMDB said it was a motorcycle accident, but then they suddenly switched to saying it was suicide--a fall from a tall building. Does anyone have any hard evidence on what happened?

No... it was a motorcycle accident. He had just finished doing the voice of Bobby in Macross 7. He and Kawamori were extreemly close.

Here's a silly query: How come we never see any video games in subsequent Macross OVAs, movies, and series?

Huh? You mean like why don't they make VF-X 2 into a OAV? For that answer, you'll probably have to ask Kawamori. My answer would be because they don't want to.

Actually, I meant that we never see any characters playing vid games after SDF Macross. You know how there was an arcade in that show?

how does guild in macross plus fly with his thumbs?

Quite well, thanks for asking. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Pat Payne

Actually, I meant that we never see any characters playing vid games after SDF Macross. You know how there was an arcade in that show?

I'd guess the need for another scene set in a gaming center never came up after "Goodbye Girl.". It's just like you see only one bar in the original Star Wars trilogy, because there was only need for it in one scene.

Well then...Cuz the writers never bothered to put in another video game scene..... :)

This is something I've always wondered

What's in the visors of the heads of the VF-1 valks? The "eyes" if you may.

The heads' main job is senory information - the lasers are a little more of an afterthought, but still apreciated. So they would probably be the cameras that give the outside pictures to the pilot when in batt. mode.

Why was a song simly used as "culture shock" in SDF-1:Macross, but in all the later ones (*cough*Macross 2 *cough, cough*), it was, like, magical, or something?

Because thats what Kawamori intended in the first place, but never got around to doing it in SDF Macross.

In Macross 2, the song was still used as culture shock. Only the emulators singing was using as some sort of battle cry for the Zentradi.

Macross 7 was the one that turned music into magic, with all that Anima Spiritia nonsense. <_<

Bleh, one of the reasons I liked SDF-1:Macross was that the whole music bit had a reasonable explanation.

I didn't like the later ones because of all the magical singing stuff.... <_<

Well... they did explain the whole magic thing in Macross 7. But due to the Macross track record, it was really hard to swallow. Add that to ugly mechs, terrible writing, and extreme recycled animation, and you get "magical music" that is even harder to swallow. <_<

Why was a song simly used as "culture shock" in SDF-1:Macross, but in all the later ones (*cough*Macross 2 *cough, cough*), it was, like, magical, or something?

Another reason is: stories change. In Star Wars, the Force started out as some mystical energy. then -- boom -- in Ep. 1, we learn that mitochondria on steroids are responsible for it. Same with Macross. There's probably a bolonium explanation that Minmay didn't know that she was experimenting with Spiritia when she sang during the battle against Bodolzaa.

hello!

i was wondering. Are the SDF and DYRL un spacy logo/insignias different or are they one n the same? i think i noticed on the dyrl one that there was a vertical gap through the triangular shape and the one in sdf didnt have it. Know what i'm talking about?

Just something that's been on my mind.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times by now. I am first getting into Macross (watched Robotech when I was younger a bit, bought most of Yamato's toys already) and I want to know which episodes/movies I should watch. I wanna start out with Macross first but I'm a bit confused as to if I should watch DYRL or the episodes or what first. Which is first? I wanna learn about Macross in chronological order (from the anime itself, not by reading about it from internet sites). Also, what about the other Macross series (Macross Plus, Macross 7). The way I understand it is that Macross Plus happens after Macross and that Macross 7 is like an abstract series about another dimension? Am I right on this?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciatted. I have been trying to find these answers for quite a while and I keep getting confused by conflicting information. Thanks and don't hate me for asking such "dumb" :huh: questions. I'm sure most of you know the answers to these.

i was wondering. Are the SDF and DYRL un spacy logo/insignias different or are they one n the same? i think i noticed on the dyrl one that there was a vertical gap through the triangular shape and the one in sdf didnt have it. Know what i'm talking about?

Yes, they are the same. It may not seem like it due to animation inconsistancies but they are the same.

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times by now. I am first getting into Macross (watched Robotech when I was younger a bit, bought most of Yamato's toys already) and I want to know which episodes/movies I should watch. I wanna start out with Macross first but I'm a bit confused as to if I should watch DYRL or the episodes or what first. Which is first? I wanna learn about Macross in chronological order (from the anime itself, not by reading about it from internet sites).

We gone over this a few times in the old newbie thread. I won't let you get away without reading a bit. Search through it and the answer should be in there...a few times. Please read: http://www.macrossworld.com/cgi-bin/mwf/ik...2;t=2359;st=420

This the chronological viewing order:

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...hort/index.html

Also, what about the other Macross series (Macross Plus, Macross 7). The way I understand it is that Macross Plus happens after Macross and that Macross 7 is like an abstract series about another dimension? Am I right on this?

Nope. Macross Plus and Macross 7 a part of the many sequels to the original Macross story. DYRL? is what you would call "an abstract series about another dimension" (and even then, you are still wrong). DYRL? is a retelling of the original story compressed and formated for the cinema. Again, read the short version of the time line listed above. That should tell you what order to watch the many Macross series.

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times by now. I am first getting into Macross (watched Robotech when I was younger a bit, bought most of Yamato's toys already) and I want to know which episodes/movies I should watch. I wanna start out with Macross first but I'm a bit confused as to if I should watch DYRL or the episodes or what first. Which is first? I wanna learn about Macross in chronological order (from the anime itself, not by reading about it from internet sites). Also, what about the other Macross series (Macross Plus, Macross 7). The way I understand it is that Macross Plus happens after Macross and that Macross 7 is like an abstract series about another dimension? Am I right on this?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciatted. I have been trying to find these answers for quite a while and I keep getting confused by conflicting information. Thanks and don't hate me for asking such "dumb" :huh: questions. I'm sure most of you know the answers to these.

The only one that happens in an alternate dimension is Macross II. That was probably the easiest way to explain a story line that made absolutely no sense in the whole Macross timeline.

You can find the timeline here:

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...logy/index.html

It's a pretty good read. Probably make more questions than answers though. Here's my question, who's Scarlet Ohare? (besides Gone with the Wind)