music

wyaxyz

Technically rap was around at the same time as hair bands... it's just that while rap went "gangsta" hair bands went grunge.

Technically, except that rock was far more popular during the time of the hair bands than rap, but after rap started to go gansta, suddenly everyone was into rap. I remember it well, because I was really into hair bands when I was in school, but by the time I got to high school, I was suddenly unpopular because I was listening to bands like Def Leppard and Queensryche while everyone else was listening to Cyprus Hill and Tupac.

I think, during the time, rap seemed more popular than grunge, because grunge suffered the same problems that the music industry is still suffering from today... one or two acts come along, make it big, and then a bunch of industry clones oversaturated the market.

Then again rap is also the furthest from the center for most kids looking to rebel against everything in high school and grade school. Rap had been around since the Sugarhill gang broke out in the late '70s early '80s but it was not really until the later '80s when rap started to go mainstream big time. That big explosion in the early '90s, and thanks to the constant news coverage of gang activity, rap was further pushed into the spotlight as the "rebel music of choice" for today's teens. Just like how when I was a kid it was electro and new wave/punk was the "rebel" music that I listened to that pissed off my parents today's kids are listening to rap and pissing off their parents. Hair Bands to a good degree where the same sort of shtick: loud raucus music that your parents didn't approve of. Mom and Dad saying "turn off that crap" is a surefire way for kids to like it even more.

Edit: makes me afraid of what kids will be listening too later on down the line... will there be a revival of classical music because it will so much different than everything else? I mean, what do kids rebel with when mom and dad listen to snoop dogg and gangster rap?

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

From how I see it, rap went mainstream in the '80s with Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys. And while Run-DMC and the rest of the East Coast were rapping about their Adidas, the Los Angeles-based N.W.A. rapped about crime, gangs and defying the police with their debut album Straight Outta Compton. Meanwhile, the Miami-based 2 Live Crew rapped about sex with their album As Nasty As They Wanna Be. Both N.W.A. and 2 Live Crew received unwanted attention from the media because parents were suing them after their kids bought the albums and got themselves expelled from school. Since then, gangsta rap has become a multi-billion dollar industry as neighborhoods became rougher than ever before.

But then, I don't know a lot about gangsta rap, as practically nobody picked it up in the Philippines during my high school and college days. The music scene over there was mostly hard rock and alternative, and people beat the crap out of those who sported baggy pants and listened to hip-hop.

Hair metal music was mostly about decadence - drinking and partying all night. The only major exception was Guns 'N' Roses, as their songs focused on anger, hate, sadness and even suicide (it's a surprise that Axl Rose is still alive). Ironically, GNR may have indirectly influenced alternative music (notice the similar themes of their songs).

On a side note, thank God for Sirius Satellite Radio, as they have Hair Nation 23 - a station that plays nothing but old-school glam-rock. B))

Lesee... the current (admittedly rather eclectic) mix on my MP3 player includes:

God Lives Underwater

Ozric Tentacles

The Tea Party

Nightwish

Audioslave

Robert Plant

Joel Mabus

Monster Magnet

Beck

Conan The Barbarian (Soundtrack)

Jeff Buckley

Kyuss

Chris Issak

Dead Can Dance

Gorillaz

Neil Diamond

KMFDM

Peter Murphy

Gladiator (Soundtrack)

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (Soundtrack)

The Crow (Soundtrack)

Ottmar Liebert

Helios Creed

thisleftfeelsright01a.jpg

Bon Jovi: This Left Feels Right

Island Records/Universal Music, 2003

Produced by Patrick Leonard, Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora

Roster

Jon Bon Jovi - lead vocals

Richie Sambora - guitars, backing vocals

David Bryan - keyboards, piano

Tico Torres - drums

Hugh McDonald - bass

Track Listing

1. Wanted Dead or Alive

2. Livin on a Prayer (featuring Olivia d'Abo)

3. Bad Medicine

4. It's My Life

5. Lay Your Hands on Me

6. You Give Love a Bad Name

7. Bed of Roses

8. Everyday

9. Born to Be My Baby

10. Keep the Faith

11. I'll Be There For You

12. Always

Lowdown

From the moment you pick up this CD, you'll think at first that it's just another greatest hits compilation from Bon Jovi - the New Jersey band that has rocked the charts for two decades. But like Diet Coke, This Left Feels Right is a severely watered-down version of the original formula.

The CD begins with a new remix of "Wanted Dead or Alive," which sounds rather R&B-ish (even though the band claimed they gave it a Led Zeppelin feel to it). From there on, it goes downhill. Bon Jovi has taken his songs you used to bang your head to in high school and turned them into depressing lullabies. "Livin' on a Prayer" will have you asking who the hell is singing with Jon. Well, it's actress Olivia d'Abo (Rox in The Animatrix: Matriculated), who happens to be married to producer Patrick Leonard (Madonna's former producer). She may be hot, but she just can't sing. Compared to the rest of the CD, this rendition is like Coke with Lime - you'll spew it out on the first sip.

Other headbanging classics like "Bad Medicine," "Lay Your Hands on Me," "You Give Love a Bad Name" and "Born to Be My Baby" have been reduced to boring attempts at blues. Some songs were just never meant to be played unplugged. "Bed of Roses" is like Coca-Cola C2 - just half the emotion of the original power ballad.

Perhaps the only song that sounds better than the original is "Keep the Faith." But then again, the original was practically the worst song they recorded. I can't say anything about "It's My Life" and "Everyday," as they're relatively recent songs.

If you're a Bon Jovi fan, you will find This Left Feels Right very hard to accept. And unlike Vanilla Coke, your curiosity won't be rewarded by this CD at all. Now I'm unsure if I should pick up the band's new boxed set 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong - because this CD just feels wrong.

Rating: C

Links

Bon Jovi.com

Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

Guest Bromgrev

Well, now ... Just the stuff I really like. In alphabetical order, because I don't want to offend any of my idols. I love them all equally. :p

Artists:

David Bowie

Hawkwind

Iron Maiden

The Jam

The Monkees

Motorhead

Pink Floyd

Vangelis

The Who

Genres:

Electronic Instrumental

Heavy Metal

Punk (70's - early 80's)

Rock (70's )

I bought a few new CD's lately, I reccomend them highly to those who like the artists:

- New Order Waiting for the Siren's Call

- Gorillaz Demon Days

- David (Bowie) Live (fairly new 2 disc remastered set)

I read a pretty bad review of New Order's new album, but I haven't heard it. Might end up getting the Gorillaz one, though I was pretty disappointed with their first album, preferring only the singles.

As for David Bowie, I had no idea he had a new CD out. Hmm, must have not come out over here (yet)?

Next on my list is the T-Rex "Born to Boogie" DVD. (The Japanese release has a bonus 3rd Disc!) ;)

The Bowie CD is not really "new" per se, he is just re-releasing all his previous albums remastered with better packaging and such. David Live is an old, old album that recently got a facelift. I have it on vinyl and decided to buy it again for the improved audio editing.

As for music reviews they are like movie reviews, take with a grain of salt. After all, it is just someone else's opinion on something. If I let my personal listening habits be affected by music critcs then I'd be listening to dead air right now. And New Order and the Gorillaz are sort of aquired tastes... if you did not grow up with Joy Divison/New Order in the '80s they may be quite a reach for you to get into. Their new album is classic New Order, very New Wavish with heavy synth riffs, loops and tons of big hooks.

I myself am loving this New Wave revival that is going on right now... it's great to see old school bands like New Order putting out new material but it is even cooler to see modern New Wave bands cropping up like Elkland, The Bravery and others. Heavy Synth and big loops are back! B))

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

C'mon dude, you like Def Leppard.

Def Leppard kicked ass.

I feel compelled to add a minor correction to your statement, Mike...

Def Leppard KICKS ass. :)

They're far from finished yet! :D

They're on tour right now with Brian Adams. They might as well be finished.

I like 80's hip-hop.....some songs are cool and funny :D

But these new "gangsta" rap ruined it... esp. eminem "east , west.." whatever... <_<

I like Metallica...but i don'tlike the St.Anger album..

MR.Big.. cool and classic!

Nitro....Michael Angelo Batio was creative playing the guitar..esp. his quad guitar.

Megadeth....Mustaine..i don't know why a lot of people hate him...his fingers move fast..IIRC he did a 30 notes per second...or was it 13?

Faith no more...what happened to these guys?

Pantera......RIP Dimebag :(

GWAR....LOL! :lol:

Van Halen rocks to...and Poison! :lol:

Edited by Vampire Hunter D

Megadeth....Mustaine..i don't know why a lot of people hate him...his fingers move fast..IIRC he did a 30 notes per second...or was it 13?

Personally, I just think his new stuff sucks. The old Megadeth is great though. It's the same with Metallica for me, because anything without Cliff Burton from them is just worthless. Jason Nutsweat couldn't play a bass to save his life.

Personally, I just think his new stuff sucks. The old Megadeth is great though. It's the same with Metallica for me, because anything without Cliff Burton from them is just worthless. Jason Nutsweat couldn't play a bass to save his life.

Dave Mustaine is a such a whiner. Hate that guy. Megadeth is done. The latest CD was supposed to be released without the Megadeth name but due to contractual obligations it had to be a Megadeth CD. Mustaine apparently wants to be known as a solo artist....whatever.

Metallica(aka the token metal band)...the day Cliff died is the day they died.

He has some serious issues, many wierd tendencies, but I think he was scammed in this case. He'll walk. I think he has had the potential in him, he might even have tried something in the past, but not in this case. The "victim" and his psycho mom sought to capitalize on an easily exploited opportunity. He has enough wierdness surrounding that ranch that anything might be possible, and trusting your kids with him is sheer stupidity, but there's more than enough reasonable doubt for him to walk no matter what actually happened in there. This is he said/she said at its worst. It's unfortunate if he actually did do something, but that family has crap for credibility.

In summary: I wouldn't trust my kids (if I had any) with him, but there's more than enough reasonable doubt to secure an aquittal in this case.

Edited by Anubis

What do you guys think about Michael Jackson? Verdict could be today.

In either case, I think he should be forbidden from being within 50 feet of a child for the rest of his life. I also think that the parents who are stupid enough to allow their children to sleep in a 40 year old man's bed should be beaten. If I were him, I would stay as far away from children as possible, just to make sure that this doesn't come up again.

As far as if he's guilty or not, I just don't know. The whole thing about sleeping with kids is just way too creepy for me, but to his credit it doesn't mean that he did anything sexual.

What do you guys think about Michael Jackson?  Verdict could be today.

In the '80s you listened to one of the two short black men, Michael Jackson or Prince. I listened to Prince and still do today.

Ug... Prince is such a weirdo.

As far as if he's guilty or not, I just don't know. The whole thing about sleeping with kids is just way too creepy for me, but to his credit it doesn't mean that he did anything sexual.

Thats exactly what I tell people.

Ug... Prince is such a weirdo.

But at least you know which way his bread is buttered if you know what I mean... Prince gives Agent One a run for his money in "prokin'" of women.

(and with that, I now place this thread in the lowest levels of debauchery) :p

Booyeah...

... and Prince is still better than Jacko. At least Prince played an instrument in his act. :rolleyes::p

MJ can dance. Best dancer ever IMO.

Booyeah...

... and Prince is still better than Jacko. At least Prince played an instrument in his act.  :rolleyes:  :p

MJ can dance. Best dancer ever IMO.

Amen. "Billie Jean" and "Smooth Criminal" are two cases of the best dancing on video ever. Who cares if Michael is weird? He did good music. I only like a select set of Princes music, but of all of those I REALLY like them.

Edited by Skull Leader

Oh man... if I had the roster of the girls Prince had...

Sherylynn Fenn

Susanna Hoffs

Appolonnia (or however you spell it)

so on and so forth...

did I mention Sherlynn Fenn? :wub:

Prince got mad poon...

Lesee... the current (admittedly rather eclectic) mix on my MP3 player includes:

The Tea Party

Audioslave

HEY! Another fan of The Tea Party on the boards! The Party is the best Canadian band in the history of popular music. I own all their albums, Edges of Twilight and Transmission being my two, all time favorite albums from the Party. I love the way they combine exotic world music with metal, industrial, and classic rock. Makes for a very potent musical innovation and produces an extremely rich sound that's so indicative of Canada with it's broad cross-cultural population. Love em :)

Audioslave is good too. I like Shadow on the Sun; it's a great track.

It appears I missed this thread the first time around, so I'm going to join in the thread necromancy and post my music. I listen to a bunch stuff, from Jazz, to Classical, to Rock, to J-Pop, to Indie, to Instrumental, blah, blah, blah.

Basically, if I hear a piece of music in some film and I like it, chances are I'll go on a mission to learn more about this artist/band. Typically, it leads me into the slippery slope of fandom for the new found music :)

While I listen to over 600 songs on me computer right now, the following list is a good primer on my musical tastes:

Metal/Industrial

The Tea Party

Rage Against The Machine

Audioslave

Rock

U2

No Doubt

Indie

Elliott Smith

The Shins

Classical

Hans Zimmer

Gustav Holst

Jazz

Miles Davis

OK how many people here think Prince is gay?  :blink:

me

The it appears we are bookends because I think Prince is as straight as an arrow. He may dress like Lucy from I love Lucy at times but the man has bedded more girls than most stars I know. Then again this is the same issue I hear all the time Prince fans and Jacko fans don't mix well. We each hate the other artist and love the one we do. In the end we both love a tiny black man for the music he makes. B))